“Why didn't I check with this web site before booking.”
Review of Hotel Castell

Hotel Castell
Ranked #11 of 42 Hotels in Limone sul Garda
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Why didn't I check with this web site before booking.”
Reviewed 2 June 2011

The service was poor.
The room was so basic, I wanted to leave as soon as I arrived. The wardrobe was so high that it could only be reached by using a pole which we attached to our coat hangers, which made life very difficult as myself and friend are not very tall, but then again neither are italians!
Our bedding wasn't changed during the whole of the week's stay, and I found a flea in my bed on one occasion.
The food was so basic and ordinary. running out of various items during the week. No fruit juice one morning or tinned fruit (no fresh fruit) and no toaster.
We had to walk dowbn 90 steps to reach the lake, which became a problem when the steps were slippery, after rain.
The lift was frequently out of order, which was difficult when moving suitcases down two flights of stairs.
I feel that this hotel should only be rated a 1 star, and I am surprised that it was found in your Thompsons brochure, as before I have always had very good hotels with good food and cleanliness.
All in all we had a very disappointing holiday, one that I have been looking forward to for several years.

Room Tip: There were better rooms apparently
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Wingrave089

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Polish first
Ireland
Reviewed 28 April 2011

This hotel is ideally located in Limone sul Garda with fabulous views of the lake. There is a bit of a hike down to get to the town and up on the return but this can be said of all the places on lake Garda as they are built into the mountains. The view was great and the room was clean with lovely adjoining balconys allowing people great access to the spectacular views. They also have a decent sized pool which I swam in alone as it was April. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank orlaodonovan
Edinburgh
Reviewed 3 October 2010

I stayed here for 1 week in August 2010 having got a good last min deal. The room I was given was basic but adequate. It was on the roof of the hotel right up at the signage. The views were fantastic and we had a large balcony area with 2 seats and a table. The room its self was large and spacious and consisted of of 2 single beds pushed together, a modernised bathroom (compared to what we saw of our neighbours), a wardrobe, mirror, tv, air con but no way of knowing how to switch it on and a dressing table. No hairdryer - so take your own! This room also leaked but I didn't complain as the space and views we had were amazing.

The hotel staff could not be faulted. All were pleasant, polite and helpful. The food was ok. It was edible with a choice of 3 starters, mains and desserts every night. You would have to choose your menu the night before though. There was a self service salad bar with lots of tatsy options. Being vegetraian this was a god send. Make sure you inform the hotel of your dietary requirements when you arrive as there was not always a veggie option on the menu but they were willing to make a one off. However in 7 nights, I did manage to have omlette for 4 of these!! Our boat was late returning to the hotel one night and the staff went out there way to make sure that we had our dinner since we had missed the meal time slot.

Being on the top floor meant the pool was a little trek away. There was a sign saying don't use the hotel towels at the pool so I had to hunt round Limone to find a beach towel. Just something to bear in mind. The pool was cool, literally! Again amazing views and once you got your shoulders under and started to swim you soon heated up!

Limone itself offers tourist attractions such as live music nights, walks round the groves sampling different food and wine.

All in all, a good hotel in which I would recommend, and the 100 odd steps down to Limone were not as bad as I thought. They are spaced out in chunks so its not too intense. This is a great location in which to explore Lake Garda.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kay639
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2010

my wife and i stayed at the castell hotel from 11th sept 2010 for 14 days
and we could not fault the hotel . the manager rocco was very good nothing was to much trouble for him
and a good barman . pascal and jacquline our waiters were brilliant and friendly to us and the other hotel guests
nothing was to much trouble for them to do.the cleaning staff were very good and friendly
limone is a lovelly place for a holiday ,and some beautiful walks as well. the food was very good
better then some 4 star hotels we have been to on lake garda

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank graememarilyn2
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2010

My husband, daughter and i, spent a last minute week here, (our only holiday) in august. The restaurant service is awful, we were first in the restaurant several nights and frequently last to be served. Most of the food including all off the vegetables and buffet selection came out off tins, and the staff made us feel like we were an inconvenience.
Visit Limone by all means its lovely, stunning views, dont stay at this hotel, you will be disapointed. Having visited italy countless times over the last 25 years i was embrassed to stay i've stayed there.
Italy has much better to offer.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank sallyn71
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2010

I agree with neil 49, on his review except for the comments on the evening meal ,you had a choice from 3 starters ,3 main courses, 3 desserts,as with most italian hotels there was a large salad buffet which you helped youself to on the way in .I cannot praise the hotel's manager and all the staff for the service I received . I am sure any problem you would have had would have been sorted if mensioned at the time.,

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
5 Thank endeva
REDCAR
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Have just returned from a last minute 1 week's stay on a half board basis. On what I paid it was good value for money but had I paid full brochure price I would have been disappointed with the choice of food available. The breakfast was fine but the evening meal choice was somewhat limited and the portions not very big. A selection of vegetables proved to be 2 boiled potatoes, a carrot and a bit of courgette to go with my watery fish. Had to fill up on bread buns so I felt as if I had a proper meal. That aside the hotel was good with a great location, clean, nice pool area(sunbeds readily avaialable), pleasant staff and the weather was fabulous. Will definitely go back to Lake Garda and would even stay in this hotel again if available on bed and breakfast basis.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
#3 of 42 in Limone sul Garda
Hotel Saturno
Hotel Saturno
#22 of 42 in Limone sul Garda

Been to Hotel Castell? Share your experiences!