“Fabulous week”
Review of Hotel Villa Dirce

Hotel Villa Dirce
Ranked #6 of 42 Hotels in Limone sul Garda
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great holiday, fantastic views, every morning opening curtains to the Lake and mountains was spectacular. Great family run hotel, good staff, looked after our family a friends very well. Great location, 15 min walk to Limone, beautiful town, lots to see, catch the ferry to other parts of lake. We hired electric bikes and cycled up very high mountains with ease. Great food, clean, quiet, and Livy made sure our daughter had enough food, as she is dairy sensitive. would recommend, and would also return.

Room Tip: All rooms have spectacular views, spoilt for choice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I came here with my partner. Location is beautiful and our room was overlooking the lake. The rooms are very basic and the decor is old fashioned but that seems to be the norm in Italy i think. The rooms were clean and spacious. There was a little sun terrace on the roof which was nice for sunbathing an the pool was clean but not heated. Although it was a little noisy given you were set within the mountainside and therefore right near the road. The entertainment was a bit cheesy so we didn't stick around for that. Its about a 10 minute walk to Limone centre and is a little uphill and on cobbles which was a nice walk for us but maybe not if you have wheelchair/pushchair. All staff very friendly. The food was nice but very targetted towards Germans rather than English, presumably the cooking has German influence given how close you are to the border. If you're a fussy eater i don't think it's for you but we found it nice. The shuttle service to the centre is ok but he was 30 minutes late on one occassion! If you're not wanting anything too flash but sufficient, this is the place. A little noisy on a morning as i could hear chairs scraping on the floor aboe me but nothing too bad. The views and trips are the main reason i was there so i didn't spend too much time in the hotel anyway.

Room Tip: Room with a view is preferable as if not, you're over looking the road i think :/
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Natalie B
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Well what a lovely hotel. My partner and I had a wonderful 2 week break here in June 2013. The hotel is situated about 15 mins walk from the beautiful little town of Limone and has a fantastic view point with all the rooms facing the lake.The staff were always friendly and the manageress Livy made us feel very welcome. Evening meals were ordered at breakfast from a menu which changed daily and if there was nothing suitable they would always try to offer an alternative.We had a fantastic holiday in Italy made all the better for our stay at the Villa Dirce.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MervP2013
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My daughter and I visited this hotel with high hopes re good Italian food amidst fantastic views of Lake Garda. We arrived late but the hotel had organised an evening meal for us (Thomson you need to make this clear as we had already eaten thinking we would miss dinner). A buffet salad was available and was really good. Hors-d'oeuvre's were great. Main course was dire I am afraid. Was supposed to be roast turkey but looked and tasted like Bernard Matthews roll. We speculated that this was due to the food hanging around. Sadly this pattern was repeated all week. You had plenty of food available and we took to filling up on the salad, hors-d'oeuvre and starters which were all okay. Not sure what was going on with the mains but a fellow traveller mentioned it a while back. Dessert was ever so variable and never "good" Maybe I was spoiled by visiting Sicily last year?
I would like to give a special mention however to our waiter who I believe was called Rob (Robert?). Each day he was so happy and friendly enquiring about our day and very helpful with the menu. Some staff did not seem happy at all.
Breakfast was plentiful with lots of choice and apart from the scrambled egg which must have been powdered (or ruined) it was really nice. Missed my orange juice though as not offered.
The bedroom was a reasonable size and comparable to similar establishments in Europe. Bed very hard though and wouldn't suit some.No cushions on the sun loungers added to the back problem
Hotel Panorama up the road had cushions on theirs and has brilliant lunch menu that tasted great. We didn't sit on the loungers by the way!
We were on floor 3 which is actually underneath 1 & 2. All have lake views which is great. Floor 3 though has a little wall that obscures the view when sat on the plastic chairs. Stunning views though!

Afternoon tea was a nice touch. We only took the shuttle bus once and couldn't recommend it as it was 15 minutes late and caused us to miss the ferry we were taking to Malcesine. The manageress did come out to see what had happened to the driver It doesn't drop off in a very useful place either eg the Hortsmann supermarket. Hotel Panorama bus goes up and down constantly whereas this one was very limited.
This review is sounding more negative than positive but I think it needs saying. The bar served some lovely cocktails and I especially enjoyed the sangria with an unusual twist.
However a real problem was the fact that you were not allowed to have any drinks of your own in your room or pool side. This apparently included water. My daughter and I are great believers in conservation and so recycle routinely. This included reusing water bottles purchased in the uk airport on the way in. We refilled these from the hotel room tap and didn't think anything of it taking this hotel room tap water to the pool side (rather hot week). We were mortified to be told off rather publicly by the hotel manager (think she was) telling us we needed to buy water from the bar. This really was a step too far and for this reason although on the whole the hotel is quite okay as long as you accept the limitations we could not recommend it to others. At E2.50 for 500ml I think we would have been bankrupt by the end of the week and think of all the plastic as well! what is wrong with serving tap water at dinner, don't need bottled in Italy surely!

Room Tip: Avoid floor 3 due to the little wall that obscure the view when seated.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank BarnsleyOzzies
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Have just returned from lake Garda stayed at the villa Dirce, in limone. The views are lovely and it is this that gives it the 4star, was in room 219, small balcony but just right to sit on a warm night and relax.
I read some reviews about the food, well the food was fine just not 4 star, there was only one thing I couldn't eat and that was the fish, bit to soggy for me, also being half board meant the soft drinks and 1/2 carafe (jug) of wine was included. There is free tea and coffee at 4-5 but I was never there to take this up.
The staff are friendly and Robert was particularly helpful, the hotel manager was helpful but a bit stern, but saying this it would help if we British spoke some Italian. Also discovered were Germans go on their hols.
The walk from the hotel to the town took about 20 mins, bit steep in some places but a nice walk. Did take the road once, takes about 10 mins, but not for the faint harted or children as the cars and big buses get quite close, bit hairy.
I'm pleased I stayed in limone as this is only 1 of the 2 places that have ferry services straight to malcesine, which is were you get the cable car from, worth a ride as the views on a clear day are spectacular, it's better to buy these tickets from the ferry as it is cheaper and saves you standing in a 2 hour queue! Also I think it's more pleasant then the bottom of the lake.
Did 3 trips, venice by night, took 4 hours to get there but as it was by night we got an extra 3 hours to look around, Bolzano and Renon,which took 2 hours, lovely places, in Bolzano they have an exacerbation, a 500 year old mummified ice man, but I wouldn't do this on a day trip as the time for the queue eats into the time u have in the town. And florence, which took about 5 and 1/2 hours,beautiful place, just not there long enough and as the bike World Cup was on all the roads were cornered off.
There's only 1 draw back when staying in limone,you get picked up first and dropped off last, the florence day we were up at 04.30 to get picked up at 6 back at 21.30 long day. All in all a very nice week and good weather

Room Tip: I think all rooms on the 2nd floor prob the best as no one above us moving furniture and views bette...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Strepsils2
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My wife and I spend our silver wedding here,first thing is the reviews about the food ok it's not to everybody's taste but if you don't like it change the menu to something else and they will oblige ,we did this a few times .As everyone else has said the views are breathtaking.The hotel is spotless the rooms are cleaned 7days a week,the staff are a credit to themselves and the management our waitress Elina was always chatty and asking about our day.Eva in the bar was just the same,all the staff worked 7 days a week,some people have gave negative feed back about the manageress Livy did any one of these people ever speak to Livy she was a gem ,she went out of her way to make our silver wedding extra special and she did,the walk in to limone was about 15 mins but after 10 mins you will come to a great bar the bier garden Augusta one of the best pints I have ever tasted and great food.Limone itself is beautiful but very quiet at night,but if your looking for a place to relax and chill look no further.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IAN P
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

This was our first trip to Italy and I am so glad we chose lake garda as our introduction to it. There are good and bad points with this hotel but the good out weigh the bad. First off the staff are fantastic! Special mention to Robert who works so hard as head bar man and is a credit to the hotel. Give that man a day off!!! I have never seen anyone work so hard with a permenant smile on his face :-) Secondly the waitress Eva, very attentive and always there to great you morning and evening. I read a lot of comments on here about Livy the manager but sadly I found her quite cold, thank fully 2 members of her staff made up for that! The hotel itself is spotlessly clean and your room is cleaned every day which I found very impressive. The location of the hotel isn't great as the mission down to limone in the boiling heat is something you will need to do daily if you want to travel around lake Garda. For me this was too much as a leisurely stroll turned in to a major mission.....more so on the way back from limone than on the way down there. Lots to see and do however in the area, I recommend the trip up to mount Baldo in the cable car! Fab! The food at the hotel is quirky, some nights ok and some nights terrible! We did have a good giggle over certain foods that were served which became a good conversation starter with the other guests! Can't fault the breakfasts as found them to be perfect but the evening meals I would personally give them a miss! All in all a nice hotel with some really good things going for it but just some small annoyances for us. We probably wouldn't stay here again as next time we go to lake Garda we would like to be a bit closer to everything that goes on in the various towns around the lake.

• Stayed: September 2013