“Fantastic”

Ranked #6 of 42 Hotels in Limone sul Garda
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I don't normally write reviews but realised that I actually read these before I select a hotel , so its only fair that I write something ..... brilliant hotel , very clean , fantastic staff .
We went to celebrate a 50th birthday and it was amazing not disappointed by any means. The staff could not do enough for you. The hotel was very clean and well kept - some Italian hotels look rather tired - this one did not.
There was a good breakfast selection and the evening meal consisted of 5 courses. Definitely value for money.
But the most amazing thing was the view- wherever you turned you just soaked up the scenery. Definitely a place for total relaxation .

Room Tip: all rooms face the magnificent lake , all have a balcony

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Having been to this hotel twice, once in 2012 and once this year i can honestly say i enjoyed each vlisit. The views from the rooms are spectacular overlooking the lake and mountains; the breakfast terrace and dinner restaurant also have excellent views. The staff were friendly, efficient and very helpful. I couldn't fault the food (except for some antipasti which contained baby octopus in it I dont like octopus) as it was tasty and there was plenty of choice. if there was anything you didnt like the staff changed it for something you would like, in fact on one evening they cooked something from scratch for me. The only negative is the distance from the main village. It is 15 to 20 minutes away and for those with mobility problems this could be an issue. However there is an occasional shuttle service and when we did go out late at night we got a taxi back quite easily.
I would honestly say I would visit this place again.

1 Thank LadyLisa H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

To paraphrase the late actor Steve McQueen, Holidays are everything, the rest is waiting. So it was with some gnashing of Swampey’s considerable teeth, that we found out our paid for hotel was double booked, and that instead of being in a central location with a lake view and easy access to the delights of Limone sul Garda, we were being relegated to the fringes of Limone. If perchance you are a footballer you will know the pain of relegation. A 20 minute undulating walk in the searing heat is followed by a life sapping 90 steps uphill to reach the Villa Dirce. Life has these little slings and arrows dear friends in case you didn't notice. If you have had the foresight to acquire your favourite bevvies in town, then you will greatly appreciate sitting on your balcony with splendid views of the lake knowing that all is well with life. You've done your days exercise and you can eat and drink with impunity. There is a hotel bar selling jugs of perfectly drinkable vino if you lack our foresight, or just plain run dry. Breakfast is perfectly acceptable, but don’t expect the Ritz. Bag a table on the outdoor bit, if alfresco is your thing, where your stomach and soul will be nourished. Dinner is four courses. There is fish, meat and pasta etc. They even cater to vegetarians I'm reliably told, though why they should have this on their conscience I don’t know. If perchance you require a pizza, it is Italy after all, or just some place to save your life in the blistering heat, An Aperol for my kingdom, there is the beer garden Augusta. It is half way between Limone center and Villa Dirce on the path. Lastly, what made up for the slightly out of town location, were the delightful, helpful and smiling staff. Nothing is too much trouble, and yes we did cause them trouble. Remember dear readers, to tip such excellent service, even if no one tips you in your work place. These people deserve a holiday too. St Christopher will smile kindly on you!

Room Tip: Our room was on the third floor, which is actually the first floor. Ask for extra pillows to sit on...
2 Thank beefyandswampy
Edinburgh
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We came to Limone for our honeymoon and stayed in the Hotel Villa Dirce for a week on a half board basis. We had a great HOLIDAY and I would recommend Lake Garda as a destination, I cannot say I have the same positive feelings about the hotel as some of the other travellers. The hotel was very disappointing as a place to stay and celebrate a special time in your life.
Negatives:
1) The beds are single beds which I do not have an issue with but due to the bed frames they cannot be made up as a double or connected to make a double as many hotels do.
2) Considering it is a 4* hotel, I was felt more complimentary toiletries could be provided.
3) The hair-dryer is completely ineffective so I would recommend you bring your own.
4) The room was a little small - as soon as you opened the door and taken a step into the room you could have walked into the side of the bed.
5) The finish of the room looked rather tired and on its last legs and on the main wall, where the bed was against there was a large diagonal crack in the wall which had been painted over but no time had been put in making the colours mix to camouflage the work and give it a good finish.
6) Wifi was available by getting a code from reception which would last an hour, however we had a number of difficulties with losing the connection despite a router being in the corridor outside.
7) There was a lack of fresh produce in the dinner options and as they used the system of pre-ordering, I felt that some of the main dishes could have had fresh meat or fish on some of the nights.
8) Only BBC World News as a channel to watch (admittedly I don't usually worry about TV on holiday but the weather was poor and trying to use up hours could have been easier if we had some other channels with subtitles or a music channel).

Positives:
1) THE VIEW!
2) The SERVICE STAFF are friendly and work tremendously hard. Most of the reception staff were also very nice and everyone put us to shame with their English.
3) Good spread for breakfast
4) The hotel and the rooms were kept consistently clean.
5) The terrace area where you could eat breakfast was a very relaxing and comfortable area.
6) The pool was nice and I think I would have enjoyed it more if the weather had been better - however it is quite small.

Although I do agree it has amazing views and better than some you would get if staying in Limone itself I would strongly urge people to look at some other hotels before choosing this one, especially if you are looking for a bit of luxury and if you have paid a lot of money then just be aware that it is going mostly on the view. Just before I sound even more like a 'princess', I admit that I did think carefully about writing this review as I realise that my objectivity may be questioned as I was expecting quite a lot for my honeymoon and one could say that our travel agent should have informed us further, but I felt assured after an older couple from Glasgow who shared our transfers described their 4* hotel; the various pools, the evening entertainment, the variety of food options and interior which sounded far superior to ours and had cost a third of the price! If Hotel Villa Dirce was a 3* I think that would be more appropriate and more honest.

Room Tip: Our room (103) was on the only elevated floor which only had 5 rooms on it. We had excellent views...
3 Thank Cheekybubs
London
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Had originally booked a different hotel but due to overbooking by Inghams stayed here. The hotel is nice and there are good views of the lake but it is a way out of town. It is about 20 minutes walk into the centre of Limone. There are some good views on the way but it can feel a long walk in the heat, also when you walk back to the hotel you then have to walk up over 90 steps. The good thing about that is that you can eat as much gelato as you want knowing you will walk it off. There is also biergarten Augusta on the way back which serves nice pizzas and is a good place to stop off for an aperol spritz.

The hotel has a nice outdoor terrace where you can eat breakfast. Dinner is served inside in the dining room but there are some great views across the lake. You are given the menu the previous evening so you can choose in advance, food was generally okay, better some days than others. The house wine is very reasonably priced and perfectly okay.

The hotel is set out with the pool and some rooms on the top floor, then the dining room and terrace on the next, then floor 2 is below that and then floor 3 is the lowest level. We were on floor 3, the rooms have larger terraces than the balconies on floor 2 but there is a small wall in front. The view from the room and when standing on the terrace is stunning. However when you sit down you can see the mountains across the lake but not the lake itself. We resolved this by asking for extra pillows which we folded and put on the chairs so we were a bit higher up, problem solved.

The best thing about this hotel were the staff. The manager, the receptionist, the housekeeping staff, waitresses and bar staff were all delightful. They were all so friendly and helpful. My boyfriend had a problem with his glasses and managed to break the frame the manager went out to find superglue and glued it for him, you wouldn't get that everywhere.

If you want a relaxing holiday with great views and don't mind a walk then I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel with a friend from uni as a base location for a bit of Lake Garda touring and exploration. By far the best part about the hotel was the views it offers guests (as many other reviewers have stated). They really are beyond explanation, especially on a really clear day!

The staff I found were really friendly and welcoming, some never seemed to leave! The rooms were cleaned, beds made and fresh towels every morning. The maids could speak little English but were also very friendly and still tried to make conversation if we were ever still in the room when they came around. The pool view is also to die for! As I went on a tourist-style holiday I spent little time around the pool, but an evening dip before dinner to cool down whilst overlooking Mount Baldo is heavenly.

The walk to Limone town centre is around 15 minutes and is quite hilly! Can leave you breathless in the heat of July. It wasn't a problem for me and my friend, especially as it offered beautiful views and a bench halfway. But this could be a problem for guests with mobility difficulties.

The food isn't fantastic at the hotel, but most of the time you'll find you eat out anyway. Food is a huge part in Italian culture nobody stays there and doesn't sample the pizzerias?! But nevertheless the food is still nice, and the dinner they do provide is HUGE. You definitely won't go hungry either way.

The location of the hotel is great, offers as the perfect base for excursions. I would recommend Limtours. I had a lovely guide during my day trip to Verona. I highly recommend taking the water taxi's to other towns around the lake too, Malcesine was beautiful.

I stayed with a friend but found that the hotel was mainly couples (well the location actually)

Thank you to all of the staff at the Villa Dirche for contributing to the perfect stay in Limone!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jade S
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I recently stayed at Hotel Villa Dirce on a half board basis, and it was lovely. The staff were friendly and helpful, the food was faultless and the views from our room were simply breathtaking. What a place!!
The hotel was quite a distance from the centre of Limone and wasn't the easiest walk as there are some hills, but don't let that put you off. You could walk on a path, away from the main road and it was absolutely fine. But there are steps, so not ideal if you are slightly unsteady on your feet. The hotel do put on a shuttle bus into the centre though for a very small fee, 3 times a day.
All in all, I would definitely recommend staying here.

Room Tip: It looked like there were executive rooms on the top floor, but not too sure as I didn't stay in...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends