“Lovely Hotel, Great views, decent location”
Review of Hotel Cristina

Hotel Cristina
Ranked #19 of 42 Hotels in Limone sul Garda
Helsinki
“Lovely Hotel, Great views, decent location”
Reviewed 2 August 2011

The views are the best part of this hotel. It is worth of money to take a lake view room and balcony - the view pays off.
The service was nice and friendly. Nice swimming pool area with decent food service.
We liked the hotel! The location is a bit "out of the village area", but it is easily walkable.

Can be recommended!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
HotelCristinaLimone, Web PR Manager at Hotel Cristina, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Dear client, thank you for posting your review. We really appreciated it. We hope you will come back next time you will be around in Limone.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Grasten, Denmark
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Having spent 7 of my summer vacations here as a child/teenager, I was excited to be back as an adult with my own kids. Would they love this place as much as I did as a child or would they find it absolutely boring??? My kids loved it and I loved finding some of the same things as in my childhood.

We travelled 7 persons and therefore had 3 rooms. However, the extra bed was placed in the smallest room, making it very difficult to get out on the balcony. The rooms were otherwise nice and updated with a really nice bathroom.

The food was nice Italian food and the kids loved the buffet. I, on the other hand missed the intimacy and service of the "old times" where we had a specific table and the food was served at the table.

The surroundings are pretty and very green. The area seems very well-kept and tidy. The two swimmingpools are cold, but nice. Especially the upper swimmingpool attracted the kids with a very crowded feeling on sunny days.

Last, but not least - the view is absolutely stunning and I'll never grow tired of it!

I will come back when I need another trip down memory lane and the comfy feeling of something well-known

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank TravellingWithKids07
Dear client, we're really happy to know that you, as a long-standing client, still appreciated our hotel. We're happy also that you enjoyed your holiday with your family and hope that you will come back soon. :-)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Hotel I would describe as a little bit tired but adequate. Was a three star and for the extra I would advise a four star. However Food really good and wine served every night with dinner at no extra charge! Quite a jaunt by foot into Limone but also a beautiful walk. Views from the hotel itself absolutely stunning as it's situated quite high up. Would return as we enjoyed every second of it.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Siobhan43
Dear client, we're glad to hear that you will come back. That means that you really enjoyed your stay and we provided you with a good service. So, we're looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Birchington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2011

This is our first trip to Italy, and although we have romanticised over the idea for a long time, we were apprehensive, particularly in the current climate( supposed to be tightening our belts!). We returned yesterday to the UK depressed and cannot wait to return to the most beautiful place in the world, in my opinion.

I'll start with the things that ''wowed '' us,
1. The view. The hotel is that bit further up the mountain, it is about a 15min walk to the town, up a steep hill and there is a shuttle bus, but after a few days it is tiring. That said, it enabled me to eat pizzas every day, and not feel guilty! The best pizza by far- and trust me, i tried a different place every day! including jackies bar, pirate restaurant (not so much-- they re-use 'bird pecked' bread rolls'', was the restaurant TOVO. TOVO is amazing, It is just down the road from the Cristina, half way up from the town, green signage, family run, drinks and food are sooo reasonable, and nothing is too much trouble! a must if you stay in limone!
------------

The views from ALL the balconys, seemed to have lake views, not sure about ''upgrading '' for a lake view? but perhaps some were better than others.

2. The Food, I will be honest, im a picky and fussy eater. I like to try new things, but in some buffet style dinners, I struggle in some places, ''not quite sure what the meat / stew is'' etc. ''worried in hotter places if the salad has been washed in tap water'' I can safely say, i was blown away by the food, considering the hotel is a 3***. There was a calvery of selected meats, always different pasta and gnochi options, loads of salad, olives, and gelato and cheesecake and creme brulee. The soups were amazing too. I cannot fault it.
I usually skip breakfast, but i couldn't resist the scrambled eggs, every day. They were beautiful. again loadsa choice.

3. The rest. The hotel was clean, pools were clean, always space on the sunbeds despite height of the season. Newspapers available from reception, staff happy to help, internet in reception, fans and towels available if you pay a deposit. Much better than many 4****'s we have stayed in , overall.

We booked the Christina for the price and views, and if you book for those, you will not be disappointed. If you book for the drinks package at dinner, YOU WILL be left feeling thirsty if you wanted alcohol, the water, coke and lemonade was fine, but it was a shame not to see any local beer as part of the package and the wine was shocking. Although by the end of the holiday i did end up mixing it with fruit from the fruit salad and lemonade for that sangria taste! :-). %The drinks in the bar area where the music is, are quite expensive, more than in the uk, about 5 Euros for a beer or wine

Overall the hotel is nice, the rooms arn't anything special, Make sure if you are going in the summer you don't book a ''standard'' room, you go for the deluxe room. they arn't deluxe, but they have air conditioning! we didnt realise the standard ones don't, and had a very sweaty couple of nights. Although the hotel did let us change if we paid the extra £16 per night for our remaining nights. the deposit for the safe is 30euros which is a bit steep, not quite sure how you are supposed to steal it when ours was cemented in the floor?? but at least you get it back. The money of course, not a stolen safe?! :-)

We booked with newmarket and again overall was fine for the money, the excursion to venice is long, but worth it, check with the trips when limone is picked up, as for many we were first picked up, last dropped off, which made it a long tiring day.

You MUST do the wine tour, booked through the hotel, as you get from the above wine and food is important to me,!! but you get a free bottle each, and it's nice and more wine than you can drink during the tour. very informative and unscripted, ask himt to show you the different types of leaves! :-) Lovely , family run vineyard and will go back to that. -----------------------

Try and do it early on, and we couldnt drink all the free wine before we left, and didnt have enough spare weight allowance in our suitcases. !!

Overall we would go back to this hotel and limone, we visited Riva and Malcesene and preferred limone for the picture postcard views and cobbled streets. Someone said it was ''enchanting'' and i can't agree more!

2 Thank Jsscbly
Dear client, thank you for your review. We will take your remarks into account in order to improve our service. We're looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Our overall impression of our stay was favourable. However, we have to agree with another reviewer who mentioned the fact that the walls are very thin. We have never stayed somewhere and heard the zip of a case being done up or a mobile phone alarm, and feel we were lucky to have our son staying in an adjoining room which meant we only had to suffer the noise of holidaymakers on one side! Its a shame as this would prevent me from recommending this otherwise excellent hotel. The breakfast and evening buffets were good and the vegetarian in our party did not struggle to fill her plate! Yes, there are a lot of steps, just under 90 from the road to the complex and another 80 if you are situated in the highest apartments but the view more than compensates. Limone was hit by a severe storm while we were there which rolled in at 9 o'clock one evening...half an hour later there were branches everywhere (in town some trees had been uprooted) and we had lost our electric. Power was restored during the night and we were amazed when we went to breakfast at 7:30 the following morning that the complex had been tidied already and any signs of the aforementioned storm had disappeared!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Dear client, thank you so much for your review. We hope to see you soon again.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We booked the Hotel Cristina on short notice for a long weekend in Lago Di Garda, we knew little to nothing about the area, or the hotel but have recently moved to Italy and wanted to do a weekend by the lake. The hotel was fairly easy to find and the front desk staff were very courteous and spoke good English. We were late checking in (around 6pm) and were told we were upgraded to the San Pietro, which is 4 stars, for the same price, because Hotel Cristina was filled. Obviously I cannot comment on the rooms for Cristina because of this, but the hotels share the pool area & restaurants. We chose to use our own car to get downtown instead of the shuttle because we wanted to eat supper in town and the shuttle ends around 6:30pm. The first night we ate at the hotel buffet restaurant, which was an interesting experience. I now understand the comments about the food that I have read here before. First of all, we paid only 14 Euro each for supper, which is ridiculously cheap in Italy for a meal. The buffet style meant lots of choice, which there were many side dishes and several choices of meat & fish, and two choices of pasta. I had the fish, which was pretty good. My husband had the 2 meat selections which he said was passable. The sides were ok, nothing amazing, sometimes things were a bit too bland or too salty to be considered above ok. But as I said, we were content to have a meal that was close to our room for that price. The white wine comes out of a machine (as do all the beverages), which is odd, and it was quite sour, I couldn't finish my glass and I am a wine lover. For Italy this is a huge issue, I think they need to increase the quality of the wine. There were other options for drinks though, so I suggest passing on the free wine. You can order a small or large bottle of wine from a menu if you are so inclined, it is worth having decent wine seeing as this is Italia after all! We realized on the last night that there is a nice family run restaurant just down from the hotel (literally a 2 minute walk), called Tovo, which was very good and the prices were right. I am sure they are taking away clientele from the hotel restaurant because we had a fantastic meal there with a great cheap house wine. We saw other patrons walking there from the hotel as well. As for the other amenities, the pool area was lovely, especially the upper pool for adults only (around the other side of the restaurant). We spent all day Saturday by the upper pool and sunbathing, there were plenty of spaces & lawn chairs. The lower pool tends to be busier with families, but also a great pool and worth the money we paid for this hotel. We had the tea time once, cappuccino & hot chocolate are good as are the cake & cookies provided. This town is quaint with a nice waterfront and what looked to be some nice beaches by the water. There was a lot of parking by the water front that was not too expensive, we parked our car for the entire day for around 13 Euro. This is also a convenient place to take the boat to Malcesine to see the castle or take cable cars to the top of Mount Baldo, which was a great experience! We did have a few moments at the bar and restaurant where we found the wait staff to be a bit rude or standoffish, at one point we were refused service at our table & told to go inside to the bar to order a drink & gelato, which was silly because the same person served us inside the bar! She then apologized for it. This hotel was my first experience with a "resort style hotel" and I would suggest it to friends, although eating outside the hotel is the best option. The breakfast is free and therefore we ate it, but the food was sub-par and not the quality of other places I've been, even if there are a lot of choices compared to other continental breakfasts in Italy. The scrambled eggs were runny & not very good, but they do have an option of frying eggs for you on request, which was nice. I would suggest getting there earlier for breakfast, there is more choices and the food is fresher (we found arriving at 7:30 am versus 9am makes a big difference to the quality & choice of foods). All in all I enjoyed my stay, but I believe we were lucky to be upgraded because the room was fantastic at San Pietro. From what I could see, the actual Hotel Cristina is down a flight of stairs from the Hotel San Pietro pool area, but I'm not confident of this. Also the view from the hotel is amazing, just breathtaking. Get a lake view room if you can swing it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear client, thank you for your thorough review. We will take your words into consideration so as to improve our service. We hope that you will come back, either to Hotel San Pietro or Hotel Cristina. :-)
Leven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Great hotel with fantastic views over Lake Garda.
Single room very expensive for what it was. Room small and had absolutely no sound proofing - heard person in next door room very, very clearly! Air conditioning not very efficient. No hairdry
er!.
Had a terrace outside to sit at which was lovely.
Food not bad. Good selection of fruit and salads for breakfast and dinner.
Mini bus to town runs every hour but stops at 6.05 p.m. - way too early. Long, steep walk back to the hotel!
Great place to have a holiday. Will be returning.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
#11 of 42 in Limone sul Garda
Hotel Castell
Hotel Castell
#8 of 42 in Limone sul Garda

Been to Hotel Cristina? Share your experiences!