“Wedding in limone...hotel meh”
Review of Hotel Cristina

Hotel Cristina
Ranked #18 of 42 Hotels in Limone sul Garda
Northern Ireland
“Wedding in limone...hotel meh”
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

Arrived on the 17th october, we had book the newly refurbished superior plus rooms but on checking in we were told we had been given a free upgrade but no more information given. We when found our way to the room (through the smallest lift I have ever seen) we opened the door to one of the 'old & dated' rooms, but it did have a lovely view of the lake. We went straight back down and spoke with the guy who checked us in and told him this is not the room we had booked. His response was that they were closing the part of the building that the room we were supposed to be staying in and that this was a nicer room. We left still not happy as we were paying an extra £90 compared to the others we were with! Ok so they didnt have a view but at the end of the day I didnt pay for a view. The more I thought about it the more annoyed I was! So we went back down and spoke with a different guy, who I found to be very rude. I explained thatvi understood completely that they were closing the building the room was in, but the more I thought about it I wasnt happy as no-one had contacted me to tell me of the change and we were staying in a room the same as everyone else. After discussing in Italian with another receptionist, he told us to come back later or in the morning to speak with the director (manager). So we left and agreed we would come back in the morning. Going back in the morning it turns out the guy who checked us in was actually the manager, I explained all tjat I had said to the other guy and he asked me what I wanted him to do, I said at the end of the day I am disappointed and the rooms were still being advertised on the 16th october! My fiancee told him we would be happy if they downgraded our room, tok which he looked at us blankly and then panicked. He then offered us a free dinner each (€24), so because we were obviously not getting anywhere we just gave in and took it. If this had of been the uk, they would have been bending over backwards and espcially on hearing the words disappointed and not pleased! Ok so the room that we were in was very dated, but in the end it was a nice room! Maids came in every day and cleaned, they were the only lovely and helpful staff in the place. The restaurant is catered towards germans with frankfurters included in breakfast and dinner! But it was nice! The bar has no life, apart from when an act is there playing 80'a music! The hotel is about a 20mins walk away from the town, and the hill to the hotel is horrendous! But it was all a good workout! Weather for october was better than we thought it would be, with the first 3 days were sunny, warm and dry! We were there for a wedding and the location was amazing and so memorable for such n occasion! Gemma is amazing for food (thats where we had the wedding reception), nicest food and drink I had the whole holiday!
Overall the hotel is alright, could do with ALOT of updating and the staff could do with a few lessons in customer service! If u are under 50 and from the uk (if im honest) I wouldn't recommend the hotel (packed full of germans, who we also foynd to be very rude, no offence to any germans on here!), theres no life and if u want to have a laugh your going to get constantly glared at.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank wee_giggler
HotelCristinaLimone, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Cristina, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear wee giggler,

thank you so much for your review. We're sorry that you didn't like our hotel thoroughly. We would like to thank you anyway to give us some useful information to improve our service.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We arrived at Hotel Cristina at about one in the morning after a hideous flight from Chania to Bergamo and a somewhat terrifying taxi journey, so perhaps this tainted my initial impression of the hotel. Don't get me wrong, the hotel has all of the facilities that you would expect but it is very, very dated in terms of its decor and everything about it is geared up for the enormous number of German tourists who make the relatively short hop from Germany to the north of Lake Garda.

We had a superior room - not entirely sure what was superior about it though, although I must say the bathroom was very clean and the bed very comfy, even though it was two singles pushed together, but this is not untypical. Breakfast was hot dogs, scrambled eggs. Lots of cold meats and cheeses and bread. Fruit and yoghurt. Most people staying here were on a half board basis, but we had only booked b&b which I'm pleased we did as you'd have felt obliged to eat dinner which given the breakfast was exactly the same every day would not have been particularly inspiring, certainly judging by the smell!
Waiting staff very friendly and service at reception was very good indeed. Wifi was a bit patchy at times and could only be accessed in public places, not in your room which made doing any work ( I know, we were supposed to be on holiday) a bit difficult as three were a lot of distractions.
Walking distance from town about ten minutes down hill, fifteen back up!
I am not a wheelchair user but I would not recommend this hotel to anyone using a wheelchair as it is not equipped to deal with them, too many stairs. Other than lacking any character the hotel is fine and not a bad location but it's nothing to write home about.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Liz-Vale-of-Belvoir
Dear Liz,

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

This was quite an experience as it was my first time in Italy. Room had a terrace with views that simply could not be beaten! This tastefully furnished accommodation was to a high standard & very clean. Food was varied & had something for everyone. This too was high standard fare but all buffet style meals. Absolutely no complaints with the complex which has two pools & ample areas to relax. Staff were helpful & very friendly. I will return some day soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the lake - try for one with a large sun bathing terrace on first floor...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank armstrongauthor
Dear armstrong,

thank you very much for your review. It's great to read that you plan to come back. We are looking forward to your second experience of Italy, and Lake Garda. :-)

Best regards
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We stayed in Hotel Cristina last year and were not disappointed this time however we were.

It was our honeymoon so we decided to upgrade to "super plus" room.

On arrival the staff were very efficient and friendly and once we checked into the room we realised the superior room was not that.

Once back downstairs I asked if all the rooms were the same size and I was told they were, last year we stayed in a standard double which was larger and had better views, the room we stayed in was smaller and was far from superior with an obstructed view of the lake.

This hotel mainly is catering for tour groups of older people and really doesnt have the personal touch that you might hope for in some hotels.

I will be coming back to Limone as it is a beautiful part of Lake Garda but sadly I will not be returning to Hotel Cristina as there as far better B&B's in the area for a similar price as we paid more money for a worse quality of room ...I would not recommend "upgrading".

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TrAvElQuE3N
Dear Lucy,

thank you very much for your review. We are sorry to read that you're not going to come back. We hope that you would change your mind in the future, and we will be there to welcome you again.

Best regards
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013

This was our third visit to the hotel. It remains an excellent location with views across the lake and mountains, however it is worth noting that the hotel is 20 mins walk from the centre of Limone. Having visited and stayed in several hotels in Limone, this certainly has the best views and gardens. Refurbished rooms are the best. A word of warning - breakfast is poor. However we knew that beforehand and the rest of the stay makes up for this. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Notts01
Dear Notts,

thank you very much for your review. It's great to read that you would recommend our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again.
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Arrived back from a 2 week stay in Hotel Cristina, with husband and son. We found the rooms in need of a refurbishment. We were first given a standard room and this we found to be unacceptable, we were then upgraded to a 'Superior' but it wasn't superior quality. It did have air conditioning and better views of the lake but the 70's decor was still the same. We were upgraded at a cost but Davide who dealt with us on Reception was professional and did his upmost to rectify the situation. Breakfast was the same everyday and the only hot, was scrambled egg, boiled egg or frankfurters. Evening meals was like catering for the masses, nothing was great but mostly average but something for everyone, definately lacked vegetables, although plenty of salads. Hotel offers beautiful views and the hotel is probably in the best position to appreciate the good views. Staff all very friendly, with special mention to Davide. There is a TV in the room but the only English channels were the news. Wifi incredibly slow, at times not worth using. Hotel prodominently Germans and yes they still reserve the sunbeds with their towels early on, despite this being a hotel request for this not to happen. If you do any excursions, please bear in mind you might be the first pick up and last drop off, making the day very long. Limone is stunning and worth visiting but I'm not sure I would return to Hotel Cristina, as it does not warrant a 3 star.

Room Tip: Go superior upwards. I have heard the 'Deluxe' is better but at a cost
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Louise G
Dear Louise,

thank you very much for your review. We're sorry that you didn't like our hotel thoroughly. We will take your review into consideration. Kind regards
Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We chose Hotel Christina for its adverts of "views of the Lake and great quality rooms, ok we arrived and were handed the keys to what i would describe as a barn style room with 60's or 70's decor, the place was littered with cobwebs and there was what appeared to be nasal hair around the sink next to the dirty towels! (hand prints on the towels)

We were given an apology and a new same sized room with a great view, unfortunately that was all that was great about it, it was filthy, you only get a bed sheet and a bedspread which stank, there were blankets provided but after opening the first to find pubic hair, we lived 2 nights with just a sheet.

The food. I am an adventurous Englishman and I enjoy multinational dishes, but to find mashed potato made from powder in the heart of Italy...then you need to question what are they thinking, it became clear this hotel goes for the "Loads of people stay but reduce the standard and cost of food to make a fast profit"

I would seriously not stay there again as we went home 3 days early because our stay there ruined what was a beautiful holiday.

This hotel claims to have won hotel of the year etc... I would guess that bribery is not just limited to the Italian football league then!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
#28 of 42 in Limone sul Garda
Hotel Royal Village
Hotel Royal Village
#15 of 42 in Limone sul Garda

Been to Hotel Cristina? Share your experiences!