“Fantastic views”

Ranked #14 of 42 Hotels in Limone sul Garda
Wales
“Fantastic views”
Reviewed 5 June 2010

Transfer from Verona airport took less that 90mins due to low seasonal traffic, dropped off at the bottom of the hill and promptly taken up to the hotel by the hotel mini bus. Check in was speedy and we were escorted to our room, in one of the seperate villa buildings which had a side lake view and overlooked a small garden area which had the afternoon sun and was blissfully quiet. Our room was of generous proportions and comfortable the bathroom was pristine clean with a large corner shower unit. The hotel charges a refundable deposit of 10euros for the safe and pool towels which can be changed as and when needed. The buffet meals were served in two dining rooms and towards the end of our stay the outside area was opened as the weather was fantastic. Breakfast consisted of cereals. yoghurts, cold meats and cheeses, the usual continental cold veg and salad, tinned and fresh fruit,and a hot plate selection. Light lunch was served outdoors, salad bar, pizza, pasta, kebabs, fish, chips, veg, and fresh fruit. Evening meal had tasty soups, salad bar, pasta dishes, veg, tender beef, turkey, pork, chicken, salmon, and regional speialities, and if you could find room a dessert table full of cakes, ice cream and more fresh fruit. Afternoon cakes available 4-5p.m. Yes the drinks are from a pump but they are free and save you a fortune. We were able to travel to the other lake resorts easily, 8euro to Malcesine 7.40 to Riva and around 24euro to Garda at the south of the lake. Limone is a lovely resort visitors flock in during the day but when they go home calm returns, we enjoyed entertainment in the evenings, a Beatles tribute band,a live concert and a fantastic fireworks display. The hotel has a young animation team who work hard to keep young and old entertained. Whilst we were away my friend became ill and reception arranged for the hotel taxi to run us to the doctors at no extra charge. The hotel is up a steep hill but this means you get to enjoy the outstanding views and are not disturbed by the lake traffic, and the mini bus ran up and down to the lake around 8 times a day, but it isnt that hard to walk back my friend is 70 years young and did it several times. A comfortable hotel with no hidden extra costs.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
7 Thank luvitalywales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
manchester
Reviewed 5 June 2010

Having read other reviews on this site, I could see that, reading between the lines, there was little to complain about. I mean, why worry about the fact that there are more Germans than English in a hotel abroad?

We arrived to a hearty welcome and were taken to our room, which was situated on the ground floor overlooking a 20-22 metre ( and rather cold initially- although one length and you get over that!) fish shaped pool.

THE ROOM:-

The room was basic in terms of decor, but it was spacious and there was a separate bedroom for the children. They had two separate beds ( not bunks). There was plenty of wardrobe space and it was spotlessly clean. The shower area was large enough for 2 people.

We had a little balcony that overlooked the pool, from which we had a view of the lake as well.

THE FOOD:

This was our first ' all inclusive' holiday and we were very pleased with the amount and range of food available. We experienced no long waits at the buffet area and were pleased to see that our children had so much to choose from that there was never a day when they complained about not liking what was put in front of them because they could see what was there ( nearly everything that you could think of) and they were able to select for themselves. It made a difference to us as previously, we would take them abroad to a restaurant and they would be disappointed when they ordered something that they were unfamiliar with. There was so much to choose from and some nights I had to take photographs of the way that the food was presented because it was so impressive.

The waiters always asked if you had finished before taking away your plates, but even if they had done so without our consent, there was nothing stopping us from simply getting up for more.

I am a very fussy eater and even I was able to find many dishes from the hot and cold buffet to suit my choices.

THE ENTERTAINMENT

During the course of the week, at various points, the children were approached by the entertainment team to see if they wanted to join in activities such as playing darts, painting pasta, etc. Our children were not interested in this because many activities were probably geared towards younger children ( ours are 11 and 7), but still, I felt that that was appropriate as, from age 7 or 8 onwards, children tend to become more interested in their surroundings and less interested in being 'palmed off''. in spite of this, our children got to know the entertainment team well and joined in the dancing activities that took place from 8pm til 9pm. Most children joined in . There were only 20 or so of varying ages during our stay, so it was nice to see children of different nationalities getting to know eachother and having fun even though they could not speak eachother's language. All children on this resort are made a fuss of and staff interact with them in a pleasant and interested manner.

STAFF/SERVICE:

We were pleased to see that most of the staff were Italian and some were German. They really made you feel at home. The staff encouraged the children to learn some Italian words, such as lemonade, straw, thankyou etc. etc. I liked this and particularly the way in which they did it.

This holiday enabled my husband and I to get on with reading some books and allowing the children for the first time to be in our close vicinity within the resort, whilst knowing that they were safe.

When they were not in the pool, there were in the trampoline area, or the ball area ( next to trampoline) or playing table tennis. We could hear them and when we could not, we would peer over the fence just a few steps away so that we could see them. That gave them a sense of freedom that they had not had before, but also gave us a little time to ourselves.

LOCATION/VIEW

We could not have asked for more. We were surrounded by what to date ( for me- and I am reasonably well travelled) was one of the most beautiful views that I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. Yes, there was a steep hill, but it was only a small one and there is an hourly shuttle service if you wish to use it. It is not free, but it is only 1 euro per ride. I dont think that is too much to pay for what you get if you are not fit enough to walk up a short hill, especially with the views available once you get there.

The town itself is extremely beautiful. It is certainly a popular area, but even with the prescence of tourists, it is not exactly what I would call spoilt by them either. There is a sense of calm , escpecially in the evenings.

The hotel is about 10 mins walk or 2 mins drive from the centre. The walk to town is very scenic, particularly if you opt for the river route.

VALUE:-

We paid £2600 all inclusive for 2 adults and 2 children via Thompson lakes and mountains. We thought that this was a good deal and spent very little money while we were out there, considering that we spent much more on a self catering ski-ing holiday in February ( in terms of spends that is)

Yes, tourist gift type items are overpriced, but simple things such as ice cream and coffee are not.

In total, we spent £450 in spends during this holiday, which included 2 boat trips to Riva and Malcesine, 2 meals out, cigarettes, wine and ice creams galore. Included in this are 2 pairs of new shoes and some jewellery.

OVERALL

I have nothing to complain about. Hubby and I usually have a row on holiday and end up not speaking for a day or two. It did not happen this time!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank rosiegibs
Essex
Reviewed 25 May 2010

Was a little concerned by some of the reviews on TripAdvisor after booking this as a late break just under three weeks prior to departure.

Needn't have worried, we were unexpectedly given a Lake View room, with a view over the main pool out to the lake. Sure, the whole place is 'original 80s' but is fabulously clean and the staff as friendly and efficient as you could wish for. Not a huge room but two big wardrobes (more hangers needed should have taken some as I usually do). Small bathroom but clean and an excellent shower with plenty of hot water.

Indeed there are separate buildings - these are not far apart and in fact the pizzeria and outdoor pool bar, reception and main building (where our room was) are connected by a subway. Even without it, it's only 75 yards between the lot. Outside near the pool is a covered walk-way to the pool so it really isn't an issue. The subway also passes the door of the indoor swimming pool. From the indoor pool you can see the 'boules' gravel pitch.

Pool towels - take your own or borrow for a 10Eu deposit. For this, they will replace your swimming towel each day. Collect the deposit on departure.

We love Italian food and were not disappointed. However, even if you are a plain or fussy eater, there is ample choice to find something to suit. It may be a buffet but it's a good quality one. There was no concern with flies etc, I did not see a single one all week. People have expressed concern about using a pump to dispense wine - it comes from a barrel and when you get through as much as they do you'd understand the reasons. It's decent quality table wine, 10-10.5%. Vintage Inns in the UK and many other pubs dispense wine this way and it stays fresh and at the correct temperature. The other drinks on offer for free were Virgin Cola, Virgin Orange, still and sparkling water, tea, coffee, chocolate.

In theory at dinner the Italian way is to have a starter (antipasto) and then pasta and then a main course. Nobody forces you to do this - it's fine to go and check out all the dishes on offer and then take what you fancy when you want it. The Italians have a soup and then a small salad, then pasta, then main course and side. I was in the habit of collecting some pasta and main course items and a separate plate or bowl of salad.

Sample dishes - Seafood Risotto, steamed whole salmon, spit-roast chicken, pasta carbonara, deep fried squid, prawns, baby octopus, boiled buttered potatoes, asparagus, Sicilian specialities, foccacia, calzone. Each night the regional theme was different, e.g. Lombardy, Sicily, tuscany.

Desserts - your choice of 'help yourself' Italian ice-cream. Bad, bad idea. Amarone cherry, Pistachio, chocolate, a variety of flavours. Choux buns, Tartufo, Tira Misu, really tempting.

The free lunch buffet was unexpectedly substantial - pizza slices, breaded fish, meatballs, ribs, many salad choices, fresh fruit. They will make you up a packed luinch if you let reception know by 8pm the night before, also you can book the pizzeria (as others have said) by 10am the day you want to go, instead of the usual buffet. You still get dessert, salad selection etc as well.

4-5pm and out comes the free cake ... just watch the Vultures swoop in - hilarious. How anyone could eat so much after breakfast and lunch ... I will never know. Some people had a plate with say 6 pieces of cake on - I thought this was for their whole table but NO - they EACH had one. Just greedy.

Be warned though - during the meals you fend totally for yourselves, though the staff clear empty plates almost instantly. So it's a good idea to go in, put your orange card (issued on arrival) on the table you find yourself or are allocated if it's busy and you ask the staff. Then wander around and check everything before you begin - otherwise you might, for example, miss the Espresso machine at one end of the dining room, or not even notice the freezer and supplied scoop.

The hill. Well, I expected far worse. It's only the last 75 yards that's a little hard in the heat. We went to far steeper places (Bar Campaldo and Bar Milanese) that were much further up. But if you have any physical difficulty then yes, you would find it a bit much.

50 yards up the hill is a supermarket and olive co-operative. The olive oil is very expensive, likewise at the airport, more so than at home or in Greece. The Limoncells in the coperative (various brands) was cheaper than in the resort although I found some cheaper in the airport, of the same strength and with higher lemon content. So do be careful when buying gifts.

The resort shops can be over-priced.

I recommend you pick up the discount card on offer in most hotels or in Tourist Info offices (free). It got us a huge 13Eu discount on the boat services down the lake, enabling us to go to Sirmione on the rapid service for less than the standard fare.

The walking map we got from the Tourist Office for 2Eu - was not detailed enough to reveal the heights/gradients of the local paths - we are fit and experienced walkers but we would not call the paths we travelled (112, 122 and 102) 'easy' ...

Anyway, I loved it and wish I'd booked longer.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Janet_A
Devonshire
Reviewed 20 September 2009

This is the first time we have stayed in Italy so cannot compare this hotel with other Italian 4* hotels. We have experienced 4* hotels in Austria and Germany and found that the standard of this hotel did not come up to the Austrian and German hotels. I really do not think that the classification of the Royal Village Hotel should be 4 star.

After booking in we went to the main building and up a few stairs to our room. The carpet in the corridors was in need of a good clean. My first impression of our room was disappointing. The decor and bedding was jaded and in need of updating and replacing. We paid for an upgrade; our room was on the first floor facing the front, it was very dark and only had the door opening onto the balcony for daylight. The bathroom was very small. My husband is about 6 foot and had difficulty washing in the shower cubicle as it was so small. There was hardly any space for our wash bags etc. I had to keep our washing essentials, shaver,make up etc in the bedroom as there was insufficient space.

There was a fridge in the bedroom with two bottles of water - free.

The safe was an old fashioned type on the floor of the wardrobe. One had to pay a deposit in Reception - in a building across the road - for the use of a safe key. I didn't bother with this as the safe was difficult to reach and use. Anyone older wouldn't be able to reach/use it!

In all my previous experiences in 4 star hotels with swimming pools, swimming towels have been provided in the room and/or in the swimming pool/spa areas. At the Royal, I had to go to reception in a different building (as mentioned previously) to collect swimming towels and had to pay a 10 euro deposit. After swimming, they had to be taken to the Reception where the member of staff would open a box behind the counter and tell me to put them in there. I could then have dry towels for my next swim. It was embarrassing taking wet towels like this, especially when there were new guests checking in. Most 4* hotels provide towels, robes and towelling slippers for the pool area so I was surprised that this was not the case at the Royal Village.

The food was plentiful and of a good quality and we enjoyed it very much. We found the dining room far too busy. All meals were buffet style (4*?!?!?). On entering the dining halls it was chaotic. One had to find a table and put our orange card to reserve the table, then go and fetch our food. There was no direction as to which order to take the food. The salads were at one end, then pasta type dishes, then soup. On our first evening, we didn't find the soup till after we had eaten the salad and pasta. We tucked in and then went to find the sweets only to find that there was a main course (with choices). We thought the pasta dishes were the main course!.. The sweets were varied and my husband enjoyed them. I enjoyed the fruit; this was always washed - a good point. The following evening we knew the routine and queued up for our main course. The queue was very long; about forty or fifty people. It was like queuing for school dinners! Apart from this chaotic arrangement for every meal, the food was enjoyable and the staff cleared the used dishes promptly. There were two sittings for dinner, 6.30 and 7.30.
Wine, Juice and water was available from machines. At breakfast the coffee etc was also from machines. 4*?????? We didn't use the Pizzeria in the other building. This had to be booked by 10.00am.

We hadn't expected such a big hotel with different buildings spread out over a wide area. Not too convenient when pouring with rain or for the elderly. A lot of people had to wear anoraks and use brollies to get to the dining hall!

I love swimming; it was too cold to use the outdoor pools so I used the indoor pool. Considering the size of the hotel, the pool is not all that big. The Jacuzzi was a disaster, it was not very warm and the water hardly moved. Unlike many whirlpools, the switch was some way from the Jacuzzi, on the wall, so I had to keep getting out of the whirlpool, go down the steps to switch it on then return up the steps and back into the Jacuzzi. I thought this was dangerous. Usually, there is is press button type switch on the side of the whirlpool. There is only one changing cubicle and one toilet for both sexes.

We had expected a small climb to the hotel but it is quite a drag from the town and promenade and unsuitable for those with physical difficulties. A shuttle bus runs from the hotel to the town leaving at ten mintues to the hour and picking up at ten minutes past the hour from the town car park. This is charged at 1 euro each way per person. It does not run in the middle of the day or after 10.00pm. We are good walkers but found the homeward climb a bit much after a day out. The trips arranged by the tourist operator always dropped us off on the main road meaning that we had no option but to struggle up the hill. (The shuttle bus wasn't available for this - only from the town).

Nightly Musical entertainment was offered in the Bar. We only went once; it was not to our taste. Many seemed to enjoy this.

This hotel seemed more like an upmarket holiday camp than a four star hotel. All right if you like that sort of thing.

We loved Limone and the area around Lake Garda. Well worth visiting.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
cornwall
Reviewed 17 September 2009

This hotel is fabulous, clean and pretty. We upgraded to a superior room and what a beautiful room we had, with lake views, a balcony and large enough to fit a family of four. (we were only two) so plenty of room. Yes it is up a steep hill - you cannot have the views without! - but there is a hotel bus to take you back and forth every hour to the centre of Limone for 1 euro, and the views are breathtaking. There are three swimming pools (2 outside and 1 in) which are cleaned every day, the food is devine, we went all-inclusive and there was plenty of it with a vast choice every day. The staff were helpful and friendly, and with live music every evening if you wish to partake what else can you ask for. We can honestly say its the best holiday we ever had and can't wait to go back. Although there are many hotels in Limone and we met up with many people from the different hotels on the tours, we would not hesitate to choose the Royal Village Hotel against all the others. Many people were on their 2nd and 3rd times to Lake Garda and all said this hotel was deffinately the best they had stayed in.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happyfaceCornwall
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 18 July 2009

Stayed here with husband and 2 yr old. One of our most enjoyable holidays. Stayed for a week 11th-18th July 2009.
The Hotel is a little out of date but is absolutely fine. The food is fabulous and plenty of it. We booked with Firstchoice on a half board basis which is actually all inclusive. The entertainment is good and caters for all types, theres a 10 min walk into Limone or hop on the courtesy bus. Theres a steep walk back up the hill but we managed it with a pushchair and after all that lovely food, hey you'll need the exercise!
Limone is lovely and a trip over to Malcesine is well worth it.
I cant understand why anyone would give this Hotel a bad review, yes there may be flashier/trendier Hotels in Limone but The Royal is convenient, friendly, has excellent service, indoor and outdoor pools, a pizzeria and is fun!
Book it you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank crispmuncher
manchester
Reviewed 7 July 2009

I stayed at this hotel from the 27th June 2009 for a week. The location is fab apart from the last few hundred yards uphill from the lake. There is a courtesy bus from the hotel at several times of the day but not at convenient times and doesnt run after 10pm at night from the centre of limone. This hotel caters for 90% german guests and therefore the food and cleanliness is really good. The downsdide is that these guests went outside at 6am in their pj's to put their towels on the sunbeds! The rep at the hotel from thomsons was very good and informative. I would recommend this hotel to families with youngchildren but if you are looking for peace and quiet avoid busy times of the year.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple