Portofino Kulm Hotel
US$294
US$159
  • Restaurant
Hotel Manuelina La Villa(Recco)
US$147
La Vela Hotel(Santa Margherita Ligure)
US$171
US$167
Hotel Sant'Andrea(Santa Margherita Ligure)
US$181
US$176
Hotel La Camogliese(Camogli)
Hotel Casmona(Camogli)
  • Room Service
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 November 2012

We did not book any hotel in advance for our trip to Cinque Terre and checked a couple of hotels before we finally arrived at the Portfofino Kulm. We fell in love with it at first sight. You certainly pay a surcharge for the view from the hotel but it was worth it… Amazing sunset from our balcony. The rooms are nothing special though. They were clean but you would actually expect a little better than that for a hotel with that price tag. It didn´t bother us. If you don´t have a car or motor bike I would not recommend that place. We did have a car and were happy to stay away from the crowded places. Staff at the reception was friendly and helpful, at breakfast service levels dropped a bit… I don´t like to wait for the coffee for 15 minutes after taking a seat, but overall the breakfast was good, especially so if you find a place on the balcony. I would recommend the Portfofino Kulm to my friends but I would also point out that it is not perfect in every aspect.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Denneo
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I attended a two day medical conference at the hotel. It appears to be a grand old hotel with slightly faded former glory. The view from pretty much all of the hotel grounds is simply spectacular with views of the coastline of both in front and behind the hotel, well worth a visit just for the view.

The conference itself was fantastically well organised (whether this was due to the organisers or the hotel is difficult to say). The food and drink provided by the hotel was lovely and the service of a decent level.

The interior of the hotel is somewhat faded but in my opinion adds to the charm of the hotel. I would definitely return in future simply to enjoy the view. Well worth a visit

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank craigmcarthur
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Amazing sea, sunset and mountains view. The building from outside looks very charming.
The problem is when you get inside and realize that it's not well maintained. The bathroom in the room is very old. After a shower I ended with the water all over the floor. The lift was also very old and slow moving. For the price you pay, it should be better. I hope they will do some renovations soon.
In general, the management was poor.

Room Tip: If you stay in this hotel you should get the sea view, otherwise is not worth it!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2012

i have been staying just one night mid september 2012, with my wife. the hotel has a unique position and view. but not all rooms may see the sea. we book a room with a sea view (higher price of course). well to see the sea we should look out at the window...room quite small and not clean. TV set at least 30 years old. poor quality breakfast.
this hotel if restructured and managed properly could be a jewel!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 September 2012

We stayed at the Portofino Kulm in August. I was booked in there by the people I was working for but I brought my husband along for the trip and we stayed on for another 3 days after the job was finished. As others have mentioned, the view is spectacular and the hotel is in a wonderful secluded position overlooking the coast. A short walk up the top of the hill and you can see two coasts. It's quiet and the building has real art deco charm. The facilities were good and the staff couldn't have been more helpful & friendly.

I was disappointed to find that there was only an indoor pool, but actually, with the french doors open onto the sun terrace and sun loungers, it wasn't a problem and it was quite a relief to get out of the sun for a dip in the pool every now and then. We didn't find the pool smelled of chlorine.

Breakfast on the balcony was a real pleasure, as was having a drink on the terrace before dinner. However, apart from breakfast and a couple of lunches, we didn't eat at the hotel as it was so expensive. The lunch menu was very limited and so overpriced for what was not much more than a pasty. We found Nico's bar down the hill to be excellent value, good food and the food and drinks half the price of the Kulm and we still got to sit and watch the sunset over the bay.

The hotel is quite a distance from some of the well known parts of the Italian Riviera but the hotel provide a free shuttle down to Camogli and it was a 2 min walk to the railway station from where we could get to any of the tourist attractions along the coast.

We had a lovely time staying at the Portofino Kulm and would recommend it. It's not great value and definitely the food and drinks are overpriced. However, it is a particularly expensive area so it's no worse than many of the other large hotels in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business