“Amateurish and overpriced”

Ranked #2 of 3 Marsascala B&B and Inns
Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
“Amateurish and overpriced”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We wanted to stay in the south east of Malta for a couple of nights. I was aware of the Sensi Hotel's mixed reviews and when I booked it was with a degree of optimism.

When we arrived there was nobody available at the check-in area to the side of the bar - a random girl had to be sent off to the Sensi's "cabana" shoreside cafe to fetch a young Englishman. I knew he was English because this fact was tattooed on his arm. Our room key had the old name "Ocean Reef Hotel" on the key ring. We stayed in Room 10.

The room smelt strongly of disinfectant - presumably from a swift mopping of the tiled floor. The furniture was cheap and tatty and this included the double bed whose old and stained mattress was covered with a thin and crumpled sheet that had clearly never been ironed.

The old air-conditioning unit simply didn't work and the large television on our dressing table was useless to us as there were no English language channels on it - subscriptions clearly not having been paid. The small room fridge was yellowed with age and its freezer section was heavily iced up.

Our difficult-to-lock French doors led directly to the pool area but when we arrived there was a massive cabinet outside blocking our way. The pool was quite nice and we enjoyed two or three swims in it.

Close by is the Ristorante San Tomaso where one night we enjoyed an excellent meal - palatable local wine, bruschetta and spaghetti marinara. Delicious. The people who run that place could teach the management of The Sensi Hotel a thing or two about customer service. If you are charging guests 44euros a night for a room without breakfast you need to first achieve a reasonable room quality. Things should work. The bedding should be comfortable. Tatty old furniture should be replaced. Otherwise, you should only be charging about 30euros a night.

Room Tip: Choose a good room? My advice is to choose a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Neil_in_Sheffield_UK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed 11 March 2013

This is a budget hotel and yet people leav review complaining,it is basic as you would expect from a 2 star rated hotel.
The owner and manager are extremely kind ,even allowing us to keep our room at no extra charge for the day as we flew late in the evening,
Rooms were kept clean ,I stayed with my mother and while the bar can be busy in the evening it is sound proof when door closed and did not disturb us.
It is ideally place close to the bus stop and confectioners that sells most things,we asked for kettle put you could take your own.
Marsaskala is a lovely place to stay with the marina,and the review slating it as isolated is ridiculous ,most people would appreciate the small safe bay for the family and being a little away from the noise in summer.
It's true don't expect the Hilton but if you go knowing you haven't paid too much and communicate with the staff you won't be disappointed .

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Kachinski
Athens
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a business trip in January (out of season). It is a two star hotel, its was priced for two star hotel but worth for more. The rooms are clean, quite and extra large with big bathrooms. The Air condition in my room worked just fine. I had some trouble with the light curtains but was easily solved with an extra shade. The guy that cooks is from Serbia and makes great pizza and pasta (not like in Italy but very good!) and home made food!.
Overall i have to say that i enjoyed my staying in this hotel. Yes it does not have the amenities for a 4 star hotel, from the outside there are some issues but it is a 2 star hotel! The pool was kind of dirty but it was 12 C outside (i didn't care about the pool!).
The staff is very friendly and more than willing to help in any requests.
As a conclusion for the requested money the hotel is very good.

Room Tip: My room on the top floor had a window that could be opened and a great sea view.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank pstasino
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2013 via mobile

Really good stay here. Excellent service great home cooked food friendly people powerful shower heat people about at bar restaurant etc owners very helpful chef and staff excellent. It's not the ritz so don't come if you expect that. Basic rooms but very effective

• Stayed January 2013
Africa
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I agree with Kate M and other reviewers. I booked into the Sensi, as it is now called, just for an overnight transit stay through Malta, in October 2012.

The hotel appears uninhabited from the outside; top floor windows are blocked up, the main door (though you wouldn't know it was this) had a 'closed' notice, yet if you pushed......you were into the Hotel. The reception and bar area is marginally as represented in the website photographs, but more scruffy in reality. For some reason, roving Russians/Eastern Europeans were drifting between the reception and kitchen, cooking in there.

Our room was big, but basic. A Twin with additional family room twin bunks. The mattress and pillows were poor and unsupportive, and room and bedding was damp. There was no toilet paper. I didn't leave any valuables in the room when I went out of the hotel.

As Reviewer Kate M says, the photographs are straight deceptions, and I recognised little in reality. The corridor was dark, scruffy and dingy.

This is a proper dive - we paid £57 , but to be honest, it isn't worth €25.

It depends on your own expectations and standards, but I found this hotel quite sinister and dingy. I can't really see many people being comfortable in this place at any price.

Pay more and go somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank BritRoamer

Travellers are raving about these Marsascala hotels

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We stayed in this hotel for one night last Saturday in order to attend the Marsalokk market the following day. We were charged 5 star rates and this was demanded as soon as we arrived even before we were given the key to our room. Whilst the room itself was comfortable there was no hot water in the bathroom nor was there any soap or bathmats - fortunately we had our own. Breakfast next morning was basic and there were no saucers for the coffee/tea cups. Conclusion - If the management wish to charge 4/5 star rates they must get these things up to scratch. Until they do I would not recommend a stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ANONYMOUS1169
London
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I booked this hotel to visit friends in Malta. It is a two-star hotel, and therefore I had no expectations of a grand 5-Star. I was the only guest staying and refurbishments that are mentioned in other reviews were still ongoing. The hotel is basic. The rooms are basic. The welcome and friendliness are certainly not basic. Everyone was helpful and as a solo traveller and solo guest, I felt very comfortable and very safe. The staff tried to cater to all my whims - for example, the dining room was not open in the evenings, but I wanted to treat my Maltese friends to a meal. I spoke to the owner and he provided a meal - Risotto, steak and chips and ice cream. My friends and I were welcomed and served dinner, which they thoroughly enjoyed. The hotel is minutes from the beach and minutes from bus stops, and it is approximately a 15 minute walk to the centre of Marsaskala, where there are lovely cafes and the atmosphere is vibrant. So, to summarise, this hotel is ideal for families with children. There is a nice pool, it is close to the sea, the rooms are large and clearly accommodate whole families in bunk beds, doubles and singles. It is cheap and close to transport for visiting the rest of Malta. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Christine85
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marsascala
Cerviola Hotel
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Topaz Hotel
Topaz Hotel
#3 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Ocean Reef Hotel? Share your experiences!