“Beachfront for Tulip Parade”

Golden Tulip Noordwijk Beach
Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Noordwijk
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Night two of our bike trip through tulip country. This hotel would serve a duel purpose for us. We picked it on purpose trying to make sure we would be close to the route of the national tulip parade. We thought the route was one block away from this hotel. It turns out, the parade started just a block away and would pass our hotel! The view from the third floor balcony was the perfect spot for watching a parade on a windy, cold day in May! Even without the parade, the view from the room would have been worth it - the gray Atlantic ocean seemed to stretch forever.

We arrived early - dropped off our backpacks and then began our ride for the day - first a brisk ride back to Lieden for me and my friend to meet our wives and the children and the ride back (with a stop at the Space Expo). The staff greeted me the moment I walked into the lobby and seemed all too happy to explain everything and answer my questions.

When we arrived back after a great (although very windy) ride through the sand dunes and along the beach front, and were greeted again just as enthusiastically as before. Our bikes would be locked away in an unused conference room for the night. We had two rooms between our families -- the larger family had a four person room looking over the beach and the parade route. My wife and I had a smaller double across the hall with a view of a courtyard and other buildings. We didn't mind though because we were there for one night and our friends were of course letting us use their balcony in the morning.

The hotel was nice, but not perfect. The shower was very frustrating. The water pressure was good, but the temperature was not consistent. It would cycle, without warning, between hot, warm, and cold...it was difficult to predict and after a day of bike riding, a shower was certainly necessary. It was frustrating, but by standing on the edge of the water, we made it work. Our friends said they experienced the same thing so it seems to be a problem for the hotel. We did not complain, though because it was only one night for us and since both of us were experiencing the same thing, we figured there was not much to do about it.

The city's centrum was a short walk away and a carnival was even closer with small rides for the kids and a thrill ride for the bigger kids...although the wind kept us from enjoying it.

Overall - I like the hotel for the responsiveness of the staff and the location, but take points away for the shower.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tad D

Reviewed 24 October 2013

I’ve been to Noordwijk several times. I always like staying at the Huis Ter Duin, this time I couldn’t so I stayed at this hotel. The room I had had two single beds, a flat screen, a small closet, an even smaller shower (barely able to turn in there), no amenities (a couple of bottles of liquid soap, and you have to substitute the old one yourself !!). I saw a plug out of the wall hole, otherwise seemed clean. The room service menu wasn’t in the room, so I couldn’t order anything arriving late. All in all, I don’t rate the cost for value worth it…

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We have stayed at the GT hotel in the weekend. The location is great, right at the boulevard and our room had sea view (as booked). Staff is friendly and the hotel provides parking space near the hotel at a public parking. What makes the hotel average are the rooms. They are clean, but they are average equipped and it is clearly visible that the rooms are getting older. Also, the walls seem to be made from paper, because you can hear your neighbours talking. I understand that the hotel building is old and that has it's charms, but for me sound proof rooms are important.

Room Tip: Book a room with sea side view, it is worth it!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The hotel is situated right on the beach with plenty of things to do. The rooms in the tower are very tiny but have a great view and make a perfect setting for a romantic weekend. For breakfast go to one of the beach cafes which cater a great choice of delicious food and make a perfect start for a day at the beach.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I did not enjoy my stay much. The room was small, but clean and looked after. There were no toiletries in the bathroom, I never take my own showercap, because hotels usually provide one. Not here. No bar in the room, nor a vending machine in the hallways. Noise was bad. Heard my neighbours very well, since they were 2 drunk girls, i did not sleep much. I had dinner in the restaurant, cheap salty food. Dissapointing. They did not ask about my experience at check out, so maybe they did not care.
Recently there was a fire in the hotel. The staf tried very hard to hide the effects of the fire. They were succesful, compliments for that effort!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Perfect location: on the beach, close to the centre, easy to reach with direct bus from Schiphol (however, you may win time if you choose another public transport, like train+bus). Nice lobby-bar. Free Wi-fi. Breakfast not included, which is positive for people like me who do not eat much in the morning, as the price for breakfast is rather high. The rooms are very small, and the walls not sound-proof. No toiletries in the room except soap and bath/shower gel. There is a room where you may store your bike, however you need to cross the lobby to access it, and the room is not equipped for that purpose.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Right on the beach, easy to reach from Amsterdam, bicycling distance from Keukenhof, makes it a good choice. On the other hand, it does not really match expectations, when you look at Golden Tulip brand. Lobby is nice, bar very cozy, new carpeting in the corridors.... but the standard double rooms are small, showers outdated with hot or cold water coming on you unexpectedly and the shower door does not close properly. "Toiletries" are only all-purpose soap pumps. Dressing gowns are at a charge and not always available.
Double bed has two separate parts that slide away during the night. They rent nice bicycles, but at a cost double from what you have around the corner.
Breakfast is generous, but the tables are not laid-out or served.
Personnel friendly. Free wifi.

Room Tip: I would suggest to pay abit more and get a room on the sea side
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends