Flying Pig Beach Hostel
Strandhotel(Noordwijk)
  • Beachfront
  • Beachfront
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsshuttle buscheap drinkswell equipped kitchencool locationparty atmosphereother guestsclean roomsall kindstwo nightssand dunesliving roomamsterdamvibesplugsnetherlandseurosummer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 August 2012

This hostel is fairly unique in that quite a few people who were in the bar/smoking area seemed to be locals, or local friends of the staff who work at the hostel. This mean that its possible to speak to Dutch people, who are not just serving you drinks or givng you your key. I really enjoyed this element, and as there was a mini music festival going on, there was plenty of entertainment to be had.
The staff did however seem to be less professional than those who work at the other flying pigs. I guess its the laid-back beach style, and it is a good place to smoke and chill out, but there was often the sense that the guests got in the way of the party for the locals, the staff and their friends.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I booked my trip to Amsterdam on very short notice (pretty much the day before) and wanted to book with the Flying Pig because someone had recommended it to me. On such short notice, the downtown and uptown hostels were full so I settled for the beach hostel. Other people staying there said they had picked it because they needed a break from their crazy stays in the heart of Amsterdam.

The biggest disadvantage is the hostel is far from the city. It takes about 30 minutes and costs 4 euros to get to Leiden train station, and then another 30-40 minutes and 8.50 to get to Amsterdam Centraal. There is no quick transit pass you can buy for these trains and buses so you'll just have to pay separately each time. However, just because it isn't in the city doesn't mean the location isn't amazing. The beach is clean and the water was warm. There's a nice little shopping street in Noordwijk that I found actually sold better souvenirs than the stores in Amsterdam. Apparently there are bars and clubs in the town too, but I didn't take advantage of them because drinking at the hostel was so fun. The bartenders were really nice and the other guests were great company.

I stayed in the 22-bed dorm in the basement which was fine although nothing special. There is lots of floor space for bags and there are small safes included in your room price that can hold your passport, money, and maybe a 13-inch laptop. You could hear the music from the bar (mostly just the bass) but it wasn't too distracting. The bathrooms were a bit dingy unfortunately, the faucet was loose and there was only one countertop, which was in an unlit corner next to the showers. The showers were a bit weak and small so it was hard to keep your clothes dry. I only stayed for one night so these things were fine, but I don't think I would have been able to stay much longer than that. Maybe the bathrooms for the smaller rooms were in better shape.

All in all, a great little hostel to get away from the city. Would definitely recommend for a short stay. (Be sure to bring 15 euros cash for your key deposit!)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Larissa G
Reviewed 24 September 2011

This is a friendly (but very small) hotel located right near the beach. The beach is beautiful.

The hostel itself is clean (though not as clean as the other flying pig hostels are). There is a smoking and chilling area (though it is very small), and a bar.

The staff are very friendly and really help keep the party going.

There is not much to do around this hostel except the beach though, and its not anywhere near amsterdam central if that's what you are looking for.

This is a backpackers hostel, don't expect much more.

Be sure to use the safe in the room, some other guests had lost something while I was there.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank joesmoe00
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I booked this hostel as the last part of my EuroTrip, because I wanted to sit on the beach and relax before I went back to the states. This was before I found out that Europe is freaking freezing in the summer, so when I got there, I was disappointed that I wouldn't be able to get the surfing lessons I was looking forward to. However, I ended up having the best time and meeting the most amazing people at this hostel! As soon as I arrived, I was immediately welcomed and brought into the conversation like an old friend by the staff. They really included me and the other guests into the party - giving us free drinks at night and taking us to the beach when the bar closed. During the day, the beach was cold, but it was really nice to walk along the waves and eat dutch pancakes.
I stayed upstairs, where the room was small, but there was a sink and mirror inside the room, which was nice. There were two hall bathrooms with clean showers, which was a great break from dorm bathrooms. The kitchen was big and easy to cook in, and the bar and smoking areas were great. I miss it! I wanna go back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank veryveronicaIV
Reviewed 27 February 2011

i booked here as a friend had stayed before and also there wasnt any availability in Amsterdam!
PEOPLE NEED TO REMEMBER THIS A HOSTEL NOT A 4 STAR HOTEL!!!
YOU CAN CHOOSE BETWEEN DIFFEREN SIZE ROOMS/ SET UPS!
The breakfast you cannot complain about !- a hostel providing breakfast will never be the ritz! but for FREE you get bread, cheese, cream cheese, peanut butter, jam, choc spread. corn flakes. real milk, tea and decent coffee.
The staff are very freindly and when we arrived we were told we had come during shift change so could not check us in straigh away [not a problem] but they kindly offered a free beer while we wait ! perfect after navigating the train and bus system.

the only thing that sometimes lets the atmosphere down is the locals that use the hostel as a local bar and smoke place [i dont blame them] can be very aggressive in there speach and gestures. but you can always retire to your room for a bit?

all in - nothing wrong and the staff are just great and plenty of nice peeps to share stories with ....def would stay again

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends