“Nice, quiet hotel for Amsterdam”

Courtyard Amsterdam Airport
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Hoofddorp
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lehi, Utah
“Nice, quiet hotel for Amsterdam”
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I stayed here for a few nights during a business/vacation trip. The hotel is conveniently located near the Schipol airport (took me less than 10 mins to airport by car) and is not too far from downtown Amsterdam. The rooms are very spacious and modern. The internet service is reliable and has both LAN and wireless available in the rooms. The hotel has a mini-market that is a little expensive, but is nice to have around when you need a quick snack. The fitness room has a couple of treadmills and machine weights, but not much else. The price is reasonable and the staff was friendly. There is no ATM at the hotel, but you can exchange money (only Euros and USD). Next to the hotel is an "event center" that has a few restaurants and a bowling alley, which is nice if you don't want to go far for food. The hotel is surrounded by a park that has a lot of running trails, which makes it a nice, quiet, and serene place to stay. I would definitely stay here again if in the Amsterdam area.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
AmsterdamCourtyardGM, General Manager at Courtyard Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, 26 October 2012
Dear Hammerdroogs,

Thank you very much for your stay with us.

Also a big thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. You have described our features so well, we could copy it for an advertisement!

Thank you for being our guest, we look forward to having you back with us soon.

Warm regards,

Roger Langhout, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Howell, Michigan
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I have been visiting this Hotel for over 10 years and it just keeps excelling. Terrific Management and awesome employees. It is amazing how many of the personnel are still working there and they work hard at making your visit special. The area is unbelievably beautiful with all kinds of outdoor things to do. 15 minute shuttle ride from Schipol and you feel like your in the country. Nice lake, jogging tracks, horses working out on the horse track, the beach not mention the Claus facility.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lakeside have spectaular views
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
AmsterdamCourtyardGM, General Manager at Courtyard Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, 9 November 2012
Dear hurricane48,

Thank you so much for your stay and excellent review on Tripadvisor.

We are all looking forward to your return!

Warm regards and safe travels.

Kralendijk, Bonaire
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Stayed here in early October 2012. This Courtyard is really convenient if you are doing business in/around Amsterdam and Schipol area, even to Leiden area. The A4 highway is nearby and the hotel has a punctual shuttle to/from Schipol airport. Wi-fi available in room, good breakfast/lunch restaurant (didn't try dinner) & good bar. Clean, full size rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
AmsterdamCourtyardGM, General Manager at Courtyard Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Dear KOB159014,

Thank you very much for your stay at the Courtyard.

Great to read that you have had a good stay with us and that you found it easy to get around in the area because of our central location between Amsterdam, Leiden and Haarlem.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back with us in the near future.

Seattle
Reviewed 3 October 2012

As a Marriott Rewards member, I earned an e-certificate for a free room through a promotion. Promotions like these are usually loaded with exceptions and asterisks, and of course, the certificate came with a catch: it's only good for a Category 1-4 hotel. These barely exist in Asia, where I am based, but the Courtyard Amsterdam hotel was a Category 4 hotel and I needed a hotel near the airport. Score! I was able to redeem my certificate!

The hotel is located physically near the airport, but is not close in travel time. It's actually about a 20 minute journey to the airport, and the shuttle runs only every 30 minutes. I didn't have a problem with the shuttle filling up, but it is definitely less frequent than other hotels. There is no other practical way to get to the hotel except for the shuttle, and the shuttle technically costs 5 euros each way (unless it's included in your room rate, which it usually isn't). There are signs everywhere about having to purchase tickets etc. but nobody bothered me for money. I am not sure whether this was because of my Gold status or whether shuttle charges just aren't being enforced strictly, but it's safe to plan that you'll pay 10 euros extra (5 euros each way) for the shuttle. This may make an attractive rate unattractive.

The hotel is located in an inconvenient, out-of-the-way location. It's part of a complex called the Claus Entertainment Center (or something to that effect) with restaurants, bars, and a bowling alley. I didn't visit, since this was just a short overnight stay. There is also a park nearby, which looks like it would be nice on a day that isn't raining.

Breakfast is 21 euros per person. I skipped this absurd gouge and just had coffee in the room. This is instant, not brewed. It tided me over until I got to Starbucks at the airport.

The room was OK but the carpet was a little worn and you could see things starting to fade, for example the bathroom tiles Also, bed comfort is below par for Marriott properties (even Courtyard, where it is much better in Hong Kong). The mattress was thinner and sheets were more coarse than I'm used to at other Marriott locations.

Overall, an AVERAGE experience. This isn't a bad property, unbeatable value (free!), service was OK, room was OK, but nothing would make me rush back to this property. I stayed only one night.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Dear daltone 69,

Thank you very much for using tripadvsor to rate your stay.

I am sorry to read that you have not completely enjoyed your stay with us. To bad that you were not able to visit our neighbouring facilities at the Claus Event Center. They offer a wide range of facilities as described by you.

Thank you for informing us about your experience with regards to our other Courtyard properties. Your loyalty for Marriott will help us to keep working on our product and services to keep up with the best in the industry.

Should you choose to be back with us I would love to find out what you think about the improvements we will make.

Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Reviewed 3 October 2012

I spent here 2 nights and everything was alright. Driving directions werent that clear and it took a while to find it. I chose this place because of the brand and the good offer proposed as hotels in the city at the same price were 3 categories below this one. Rooms were spacious and comfortable and the staff was ok. I tried the breakfast as well which was pretty good. A positive experience but it's not easy to get to the city centre without your own transportation.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zorbailgreco87
Dear zorbailgreco87,

Thank you very much for using tripadvisor to rate your stay.

I am sorry to read that you have found it difficult to get to the city center as we offer a Amsterdam Travel Pack for just under 15 euro round trip and 24 hour acces to public transport in the city. I will instruct our marketing department to bring this product to our guetsts' attention.

Also on behalf of my team we thank you very much for your stay and I hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back with us soon.

Stone Harbor, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 September 2012

My husband and I stayed at this Courtyard because we used Marriott points so the price was right. I frequently stay at Courtyards in the US but this one doesn't have the same ambience Marriott is acheiving and I've become use to. Nothing really wrong but It was just an OK stay for us. It was too far from airport and difficult for us to figure out the transportation arrangement being first time guests.

The room was basic, check in flawless, food in restaurant satisfactory. The staff friendly and polite. We experienced what we expected based on other's reviews.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank calamityjad
Dear calamityjad,

Thank you very much for your stay.

Although I am glad that you have had a nice visit as aspected, I will work with my team to create a more rewarding experience in line with other Marriotts. I would like to thank you for your loyalty for Marriott and for using Tripadvisor to rate your stay.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Consistent, quiet, and well executed. I’ve been bunking here for almost 8 years now, so I’m a very happy return guest.

This is a very-off-airport hotel, a good 15 minute drive from Schiphol. I’ve bunked at the Hilton, the Crowne Plaza and the Novotel here, and have had numerous meetings at the Sheraton. I can’t afford the Sheraton, and the Hilton was also quite expensive. The Novotel is more swish and modern, but I enjoy the quiet and serenity of the Courtyard.

The rooms are standard issue, although nice to have a separate shower from the bathtub. Internet access is solid. My business room had an HP Laserjet in it, which was a nice upgrade. Rooms have always been clean and effectively stocked and maintained.

The hotel is in the midst of a large tract of land that is 98% trees. It’s next door (perhaps 100m) to the Claus Events Centre (same management) and there are several restaurants there, as well as inside the Courtyard. Over the years, food here has been consistently good.

The shuttle drive to/from the hotel is a very minor inconvenience against the cost savings and the quiet you have. Someone with a 5a departure might still prefer the Sheraton, but I just can’t justify the cost difference.

I’ll certainly be back.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Chauncey_Gardiner
Dear ChaunceyGardiner,

Thank you very much for your recent visit to our hotel, It is always a great pleasure to welcome back our regular guests. It is not very common for regulars to post their experience on Tripadvisor, so an extra special thank you for doing so.

Yes we are about 15 minutes away from the airport, located in a very nice park with a beautiful lake, and as you mention you will be rewarded with tranquillity and a good night's rest as you are away from the sounds and smells of planes taking off.

With great appreciation for your loyalty I am looking forward to your return.

Warm regards,

Roger Langhout, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoofddorp
Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol
Hyatt Place Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Novotel Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Radisson Blu Hotel Amsterdam Airport

Been to Courtyard Amsterdam Airport? Share your experiences!