Courtyard by Marriott Amsterdam Airport
US$135
Novotel
US$87
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbowling alleyevent centerbeach housebeautiful parkentertainment complexseparate showersmall lakeminute bus ridefamily roomamsterdam airportthe shuttle driverquiet locationrental carevery hourcatch the trainbreakfast buffet isstayed here for one night
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed here prior to flying home. It was conveniently located from the airport, extremely clean, the staff nice and the hotel restaurant welcoming with good food. Its a great hotel to stay before leaving out of the airport.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
AmsterdamCourtyardGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Amsterdam Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear Lisa,

Thank you for the review that you have left on the tripadvisor page.

Every day we work hard to make the stay of our guests memorable and we take great pride in it if we succeed. I will pass on the information to my colleagues so we can maintain the service level and standards oft the rooms as they are at the moment.

It is our pleasure to hopefully welcome you in our hotel again.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We chose this hotel after a month's stay in Europe in order to be close for our next morning's flight to the US. We arrived from Rome to find out that it would cost 40 euro for a taxi to the "Airport Marriott" (a 15 min. ride) which we angrily accepted because we could not find the shuttle. We checked in at the desk where the young gal immediately said "you will be excluded from wifi and breakfast". My husband, a Marriott Premier Elite Member" asked to talk to the front desk manager. Benjamin (the mgr.) proceeded to be arrogant and argumentative (a real jerk) but after my angry outburst agreed to give us wifi and breakfast. The hotel sits in the middle of nowhere and no choice for eating. Mid week there is some bowling alley food. The bowling ally and 2 other restaurants (weren't open) are owned by the same guys as the hotel. Rick and Leo Claus. We had spent a month in Marriott's all over Europe, had great service and stays until the "airport courtyard"! Other than having poorly trained employees and being falsely labeled, the courtyard had the typical comforts of those in the US. We would never stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeri J
AmsterdamCourtyardGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Amsterdam Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Dear Mr Jeri,

First of all, I would like to thanks you for your feedback regarding your stay in our hotel. It is unfortunate to hear that the experience you have had during your stay did not meet your expectations. We always strive to offer the best possible service.

Courtyard does not offer all the amenities you are used to at our full service brands like Marriott.
Therefore we can offer you very competitive rates.

You do get free internet as a Platinum Elite member and we try to give you a free upgrade as well when available. The shuttle is free for Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members.

The shuttle service we provide is currently every 30 minute sin the morning and evening, in the afternoon once per hour. An alternative option is the public transport from the airport bus 300 leaving every 8 minutes to and from the airport taking 15 minutes to arrive like our hotel shuttle and stops just opposite of our hotel. The latest hotel shuttle timetable can always be found on our website: www.claus.nl

In the weekends we opened 3 other restaurants on our property, Italian restaurant Lago, Store House Grill and Papa's Beach House. Those restaurants are 250 meter from our lobby and beach house is 10 minutes walk through the park near the beautiful lake. Further more we have our selected bar menu open until 01:00 pm and our crab and go service is 24 hours available.

Once again thank you for sharing your stay and we are still looking forward to welcome you in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel because I had an early morning flight and wanted to be close to the airport. I am gold with Marriott and used a free night certificate for the room.
A few items of note:
Marriott rewards amenities: not much. You get an upgraded room on the superior executive floor, free wifi, and that is all. There were many regular Marriott customers that were very angry about this, but I don't think you really get much more than that in the US.
Room: I had a nice corner room on an upper floor. The bed was comfortable, the bedroom was very large with a tub and a separate corner shower. No complaints there.
Airport shuttle: Great irritation to me. They charge 5 euros each way (to and from the airport) while there are MANY airport hotels that don't charge this. Don't think you can get on some other hotel bus and walk to the hotel, as it is not near anything else. And their schedule is not really all that frequent - I waited 45 minutes in the cold and rain for the shuttle while many, many other hotel shuttles came and went. They have a shuttle schedule on their website. You may want to review it.
Location: Truly in the middle of nowhere. There is a conference type facility right next to the hotel that has a bar, bowling alley, an italian restaurant (very small) and a mexican restaurant. There is also a beach restaurant of some type that is supposed to be a 10 minute walk. I started the trip to that restaurant, but it was in a VERY, VERY dark park that was creepy. As a woman walking alone, and as someone who could not even see the trail, I turned around and ate at the mediocre mexican restaurant. They also have a bar in the hotel, but it serves appetizer type food.
Deposit policy: This angered me. I gave them my credit card on check in, and they "charged" me a 50 euro deposit. It showed up on my credit card statement as a preauthorization and eventually dropped off after 6-7 days. I thought this was terrible. First of all, I signed a check in form authorizing them to charge me. Second of all, I am a gold member of Marriott. Ridiculous. I understand if you are paying cash, but in all my travels in Europe (or the US), I have never been charged a deposit to a credit card. Really poor customer service, in my mind.
Customer service: The check in process took forever (check out as well - I thought I was going to miss my shuttle). I think they are trying to provide a personalized service atmosphere, but the whole thing took way too long. And my check in desk clerk was abrupt at best.

So overall, for the money (free), it was worth it. If I had to pay for a hotel night, I would stay at the Hilton that is right on the airport property.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room - they are larger and have a nice view
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Dear Lisa,

We take your comments very serious and will do everything within our power to prevent such experience in the future.

I also have seen your points op negative criticism.
The shuttle service we provide is currently every 30 minute sin the morning and evening, in the afternoon once per hour. Reservation is needed to avoid disappointment that the shuttle is full. An alternative option is the public transport from the airport bus 300 leaving every 8 minutes to and from the airport taking 15 minutes to arrive like our hotel shuttle and stops just opposite of our hotel. In 25 minutes you are in the heart of Amsterdam.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Max 3* star - Rooms clean but low tier. Rather expensive (approx 160 without breakfast) to be in the middle of nowhere, but close to airport. For gold elite members a real joke - no breakfast nor internet, maybe an upgrade from poor room 1 to poor room 2. Disappointing visit... Will never book courtyard again; the amount you pay for breakfast and internet and parking on top of rate is the price of a good hotel in A'dAm. Lesson learned ;-)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
AmsterdamCourtyardGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Amsterdam Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Mr Stephen,

Thank you for your choice to stay at our Courtyard for your visit to Amsterdam this time.

Therefore we can offer you very competitive rates.

If you feel more comfortable in a full service environment I am happy to introduce you to our sister hotels in the city, the Marriott Amsterdam or the Renaissance Amsterdam which is located near Central Station.

Thank you for your loyalty and business!

Reviewed 9 April 2014

The Hotel is located next to a large park = very convenient for an after dinner stroll, an early morning or evening jog, and the hotel even rents bicycles for a cycle through the park. The park is quite nice with a small lake a short walk from the Hotel. Many birds and bunnies roam about. Courtyard Marriott – Hoofddorp, NL is very atypical for an airport hotel! The green surroundings are a pleasant & welcome change from the norm. The restaurant is quite nice for breakfast as the buffet offers more variety than is generally offered at comparable Hotels. Frankly, I cannot imagine anyone being unable to find something to their liking for breakfast. I ate dinner there twice and both meals were fine – however, very limited vegetables available. Fortunately, there are a couple restaurants next door at the Claus Event Center. However, they are not open every evening so I suggest planning your meals considering your options. The Hotel is clean and staff are all quite friendly and helpful. There is a shuttle available to/from airport.

Room Tip: Several years ago I stayed and I had an excellent room on a high floor facing the park! Unfortunately, for me, this stay was on 6th floor facing the roadway and the traffic noise commences w/rush hour. Although the noise is not comparable to a large city - I suggest a high floor & room facing back or sides if available.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Sir/madam,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments with regards to your stay.
It's great to hear that our guests enjoy the product that we with all our team try to make as good as possible.

Hoping to see you again in our property.

With kind regards,