“The hotel staff!?”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“The hotel staff!?”
Reviewed 20 June 2011

There were some good things and a couple of bad things about my stay at the NH Schiphol Hotel.

At check-in there was a problem with my reservation apparently, because the receptionist couldn't see that I had already paid my room. So she called the manager, the manager didn't seem to have a lot of experience, she shouted at me and didn't seem to be interested in the things I had to say. She was a blond dutch girl named Jeannek or something, look out for her.

At night I was a bit scared to call room service because of the argument I had with the staff earlier. But at night there was a very very friendly guy in a black suit, he didn't have the staffclothing so I think he was from the kitchen or something. The food was ok. He brought me some towels and a toothbrush because the towels were dirty. The room was too hot so he tried to fix it, but it didn't work. He apologized like a hundred times and he offered me a free upgrade to a better room.

So the staff from the reception were very unfriendly, but the room service guy made it all good! Don't go to this hotel, because you can find a lot better!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Reasonably decent rooms but certainly don't deliver any service for the pricing.
When the restaurants close at 11, room service is the only option. The only problem is that orderin groom svice doesn't actually mean they will deliver! Literally never came.
Hotel in general need of refurbishment.
Old equipment in the gym.
Strange smells throughout the building.
There are options at similar prices. Consider those first.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank CBerry80
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Huge Rooms with Balcony.

Bathrooms were also Huge with Shower cubicle & Bath Tub. Wonderful.

Sumptuous Breakfast.

Did not like: even though rooms were Large, the Luxury feel was missing + far from the main city. Good for MICE.

Free transfers to & fro from the Airport. Internet was expensive @ 5 euros for 50 minutes at the Internet centre (near the lobby) & 5.95 euros for wi-fi for 50 minutes.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This hotel is a 10 minute shuttle ride away from the airport, located in Hoofddorp area. I'm visiting an office on walking distance from the hotel so this is convenient for me. If I wanted to stay in the airport area I would probably prefer the M Hotel or the Sheraton (if you can expense it).

The hotel has a restaurant, a bar a gym, paid parking, and a garden. Its pretty good value for money and it is certainly much better than the Bastion hotel across the street.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 June 2011

We stayed at the hotel for day use as I had a long transit in Amsterdam. First off, the day use from central reservation indicated day use from 9AM-6PM and according to the email confirmation, upon checking in, they gave me a hard time and saying that check-in is at 12PM. in any case, the big problem started after I checked out and while boarding the bud after waiting an hour, the manager stopped me and wanted to charge 30euros for damage, she was exteremly aggressive accusing me I spilt yogurt and then covered it up with sheets. I was shocked that I though she was talking about a completely different room. She repeatedly shouted and saying "well it didn't fell out the the sky", "so my collegues did it?" I absolutely did not do it, and she was very unprofessional and shouting, humiliating me and holding up the bus with other passengers. Ofcouse I refused to pay.

If you look at other reviews, some guests indicated that someone was in there room while they were out (other than housekeeping). The hotel itself is not very good and in poor condition, and management is very unprofessional. first time this has happened to me. horrible staff and hotel. Will file complaint to head office regarding this incident.

Room Tip: don't select this hotel
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Guwahati, India
Reviewed 3 June 2011

Good staff with great location. Regular airport shuttles and cost about 45 euros by taxi to city. Negatives- small room, bad breakfast. For those who want to save on food, try the Mcdonalds just next to it. Word of caution, the entry door to the lobby gets jammed occasionally. Double check the entry keys, painful to run down from your room when you want to check in and the room keys refuse to work

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 19 May 2011

I've stayed at many NH hotels in Spain before and this is the first time outside of Spain. Unfortunately it's the worse experience I've had.

The shuttle from the airport was 15 minutes late while I saw all other hotel shuttles passed. When I called, they just said it's coming. No apologies. When the shuttle arrived, no one came off.

Check in was quick and polite, no smile. When I asked for a map of Amsterdam I was given one, but didn't ask if I was looking for anywhere specific or anything. Probably most unfriendly Dutch I've ever met.

The room I was given smelled of some sort of spray and after calling receptionist, they sent someone to 'verify' then I was given another room. The second room was ok until I went into the bathroom I then reliazed why the other room smelled - they probably over sprayed aerosol to hide the foul smell in the bathroom. Anyway I broke out the coffee and put in the bathroom and shut the door.
The furnitures in the room was ok, clean but the bathroom is old, carpet needs change and the bed was saggy. The whole space felt odd, it's like a 1950s building with fairly new furnitures. There is another wing of the hotel so maybe some rooms are better than the other.

What advertised free WIFI in the lobby is pretty annoyed as you have to ask for the code. This is an offsite airport hotel, who would come here? They also charge you 5 Euro for taking shuttle BACK to the airport. Figure that one out!

If you need to stay near the airport I would go elsewhere. This is certainly not a 4 stars hotel in my book.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoofddorp
Hotel Ibis Schiphol Amsterdam Airport
Hyatt Place Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
citizenM Schiphol Airport
Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center
Ibis Budget Amsterdam Airport

Been to NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport? Share your experiences!