“Great airport hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver, Canada
“Great airport hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

Free shuttle bus jets you away to this business airport hotel in minutes. The hotel lobby was nice and we were provided with a king room. Bathroom was spotless and the tub was gorgeous. One oddity, which is prevalent in Europe, was the lack of spacing between the toilet and glass shower door. Being a short 5"2 female, my knees were right against this door. Towels were large and fluffy, bed very comfortable, and the pillows were new and plentiful. Old CRT tv but it was functional. Very spacious room (for European standards). We only stayed one night to catch an early morning flight. A McDonald's is conveniently directed across from this property and was a godsend. Just needed a quick meal before our flight. Did not use the hotel amenities but there appeared to be free wifi in the lobby, nice lounge area, indoor swimming pool and gym, and pay park. Staff were professional. Would stay here again but only to be near the airport. Not convenient for those needing to actually visit Amsterdam central.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

I spent a week here in September while in the Netherlands for business. The hotel is good for business travelers as it’s close to the airport and the hotel provides free shuttle service to the nearby business parks. Both my colleague and I were able to check in at 10am, but I’m sure this will always be contingent on availability and we just got lucky. For some reason my room was twice the size of hers, but even her smaller room was large. Both rooms were laid out very much like a standard western hotel with king bed, desk, chair & side table, and wardrobe. Bathrooms were large with separate standing shower and bathtub. Climate control (air conditioning… too warm in September for the heat) worked fine and kept the room comfortable. My only complaints about the room were there was no iron or ironing board furnished like the website indicated (I had to ask for them and so did my colleague) and after the first day they never replaced the toiletries. I brought my own so this wasn’t an inconvenience. They also do not have wash cloths in the rooms. We did ask if any were available and no one had a clue what a wash cloth was. I know this is not an American anomaly so I thought this odd. I didn’t spend a lot of time watching television, but the channel selection was extremely limited and even more so if you’re dependent on English (I think there were only 3 stations available). For being so close to the airport, this place is extremely quiet. Plane traffic can be heard outside, but I couldn’t hear a thing in my room.

The public areas were clean and functional, although a little dated in the décor. Staff was accommodating, polite, attentive, and all spoke fluent English if Dutch is not your native tongue. I ate all of my meals out with the exception of breakfast. The breakfast buffet was included in my room rate and well worth it. Each morning they served a variety of typical dishes including eggs, sausage, bacon, cold cereal, breads, muffins, fresh fruit, yogurt, cheeses, coffee, and juices. The breakfast room was very crowded each day, but the food was kept stocked and quite good.

The hotel also offers shuttle service to Schipol where you can catch the train into the Amsterdam city center. Tickets are 7 Euros roundtrip and a taxi will run you around 50 Euros. Other reviewers have previously noted that the service to the hotel is free, but they had to pay for service back to the airport. We took the shuttle to the airport everyday and I did not find this to be the case. My last day on checkout I was told that there was one shuttle charge billed to my room, but when I told them that no one told me directly that there was a fee, they reversed it.

Since my office was located in Hoofddorp, staying at this location was a convenience, but if you intend on spending all your time in the Amsterdam city center, I would not stay here. It’s obviously too removed. I will absolutely stay here again on my next business trip to Hoofddorp.

Room Tip: We were in the "Executive Wing" so I'm no sure if there really is that noticeable of a...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank J from the Bay
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel with part of a tour package. The room was decent and beds were relatively comfortable. The best part of this hotel was the breakfast buffet. Very complete by US standards. Also free wifi in the lobby was great.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank whitey1016
Uppsala, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

My flight got cancelled in Amsterdam so the airline booked me in for one night at this hotel. When I arrived they first started arguing with me that I had not booked a hotel room. Of course I said, the travel agency had done it (and I had handed over all the info. and contact person and tfn no to the airline and the voucher). I took them 30 min to understand and fix things. I wonder being one of the airport hotels, should they not be more used to this? Anyway, after this they handed me some vouchers that a could use in the restaurant, but they also said that they restaurant was now closed. So why they the hell did they give me the vouchers? To patronize me? Finally I got the room which was okay.

My flight was in the morning but their shuttle did not start until later on. So I had to book my own taxi to get to the airport. Finally their breakfast started later as well. And they could not fix me anything to take with me either. So no dinner in the evening and no breakfast in the morning.

My advise, do not go here.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank cxahmed
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

Staff at the front desk was okay. Sauna and steam room is not working well...there is a sign by the pool area that they have googles at the front desk for the tanning booth. Well, they do not. Lights at the pool and the gym area turn off automatically 15 minutes before the posted closing time. Staff showed up later and apologized. In a 4 star hotel they should arrive earlier to warn guests of the annoying inconvenience. Room service is good, and they bring you big portions. Rooms are very small, have a funny smell, and are not really clean. Bathroom fixture was rusty and the carpet was not cleaned properly. Mini bar is empty. The janitors came into the room despite of the 'do not disturb' sign on the door. Some random guy showed up and woke us up to give us a laundry bag. I thought that was pretty weird and unprofessional. You have to pay for the shuttle to the airport...Overall, this hotel should be downgraded to 3 star, or less! Who is managing this place?

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Nashua, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

I stayed just one night at the NH Schiphol Airport.

Positives:

- The hotel is quite close to the airport.
- The shuttle bus service was efficient. The shuttles ran every half hour and were ontime. It did not take long to get between the airport and the hotel.
- The room was very large... particularly by European standards.
- The room was clean and quiet.
- McDonald's is a stone's throw away (well maybe that is a negative? ;-))

Negatives:

- The room was dated and really is in need of updating. The room was clean but didn't seem as clean as it could be because everything - the furnishings, the carpet, the bathroom, etc. looked "old" and somewhat warn. The lobby was inviting and "fresh" looking though.
- The shuttle from the airport to the hotel is free, but the return trip costs 5 euros. I smiled brightly in an attempt to get a free return voucher (I saw them behind the checkin desk) but to no avail, which was disappointing.
- There is not much in the surrounding area, i.e. restaurants, shops etc., that caters to travelers. It is a business area.

Overall the hotel is decent and clean, albeit dated. It was not particularly inconvenient to take the shuttle from the hotel to the airport and then take a train into Amsterdam from the airport though. I was able to get a decent room rate, around 120$ US, including taxes, using Priceline. You might be able to do a bit better, but I really don't feel like I overpaid. The service was okay... not particularly memorable one way or the other. I got a good night's sleep in a clean room, so I was satisfied, if not thrilled with my stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

I felt nickeled and dimed.. Internet is not free. Shuttle to airport is not free. Our suite, was nothing more than a normal American sized Hampton Inn room.. The bathroom was nice as it had a larger tub and shower.

Staff was OK.. some were very friendly, others a bit surly. Not particularly helpful.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoofddorp
citizenM Schiphol Airport
Hyatt Place Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Van der Valk Hotel Schiphol
Hotel Ibis Schiphol Amsterdam Airport
Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center
Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Been to NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport? Share your experiences!