“Good airport hotel, free shuttle” 4 of 5 bubbles

NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Hoofddorp
GreenLeadersSilver level
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Good airport hotel, free shuttle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

Firstly the free shuttle was a bonus as the website said there would be a charge. It only took 5 mins to get there.
Corridors look old but the rooms are big and comfy with working heating/aircon.
Breakfast was not cheap but was one of the best buffets I've seen for a long time. The smoked salmon and scrambled egg was particularly good.
Dinner at the bar was average. Staff very nice and friendly.

• Stayed November 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
the hague, netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

There was a big event held at the NH Schiphol Airport Hotel so we decided to spend the night there. Check in was from 2 pm so we were there on the dot in order to do some fitness and use the pool and sauna just before the party. Check in was very slow. But all worth it when we went to our room. It was nice, clean and spacious. The bed was big enough for me, my husband and my little girl. The bathroom was nice. However there isn't enough toiletries provided. We found only one shampoo and one bath/shower gel. No soap, conditioner nor lotion. That wasn't enough for the three of us! For the sports minded, there's an outdoor tennis court and indoor squash. The indoor swimming pool is small but nice and there's also a whirlpool tub. However, my daughter and some other guests had to wait for 1 hour because when we went there, there was a swimming lesson for toddlers taking place. We should have been warned at check in. Fitness was okay but the place is small so I can't imagine staying for more than half an hour on a very busy day. One thing I find nice in this hotel is that on the hallway, there are coin-operated massage chairs for 2 euros for 10 minutes and they are really good. I spent 30 minutes on the chair and felt like I've been massaged by a pro. This hotel is really good for relaxing and passing the time in between flights. You come out of it revived and re-energized for your next flight. The breakfast is also good. Nothing very special on the menu but a hearty one. The restaurant also serves good food and snacks at reasonable prices. Will definitely come back here even for another overnight of relaxation.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Imperia, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

I stayed one night at this Hotel during one of my business trip. I paid just 110 Euro for this Hotel, which I think is quite good. Room are large and very confortable, bathroom separate and also quite big. Sleeping quality is excellent, notwistanding we are close to the Airport. In the reception area, you can find two Restaurant, one with menu with a no large offer, but what I tried was of good quality, and the second that offer a large buffet at fixe price. Breakfats it is definitely good, with a large selection of everything, and all food I found was of excellent quality. At the front desk ladies are quickly and very efficient, and the are at your disposal for any your request. The parking is just on the back of the hotel, with another back entrance confortable if you arrive with the car. I found this Hotel good for business, it is quite far away to the Center of Amsterdam, but if you have the car it is ok. I should recommend to update the services of the hotel with a free internet connection, which is today very easy to find also in a hotel of much cheaper level than this.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Gothenburg, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

NH Schiphol is a quite nice hotel but despite the shuttle bus it feels that it is in the middle of no-ware.
You can’t walk, take a train and a taxi will cost you a fortune. So, rely on the Shuttle bus. This is not ideal if you are on a business trip and want to get to the hotel fast.
A major drawback!!

Once at the hotel you will find some nice things.
- Meet the guys in the bar! Very nice bar with a very refreshingly cold Heineken. A quick bar meal is not bad at all
- The restaurant had a buffet dinner with EVEYTHING. Please be hungry when you go there. Good quality.
- Rooms clearly above average
- Room service excellent with nice food

On the not so good side is the LOCATION. One day I took a 45 € taxi just to get there.
Breakfast at average and reception not passionate to deliver service.

A very clean and fresh modern hotel but make sure you are not in a hurry to get there

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

The lobby is welcoming, the staff smile in spades and it stinks. From now on in I no longer know this hotel as the NH Schiphol but the NH S***hole.
There were obviously problems with the drains the evening I arrived. On check-in there was no mention of it as I choked to give my name to the lady behind the desk. But I was just passing through, staying for one night only, as I would guess most people do at airport hotels. So, the smell didn't seem to matter. Afterall, they would probably never see me again. How true that is. I was given a non-smoking room, 4221. Make sure you ask them not to give you the same room. It stank too. This time of stale cigarette smoke. It wasn't the guy who stayed there the night before me or even the night before him. No, this smell was one of those that had been hanging around for years. The mattress stank too and I couldn't stop itching. I itched from head to toe. Even my inner ears itched. It drove me to despair. I didn't sleep all night. Before going to bed, I ate in the restaurant. If you decide to then make sure you get there early for two reasons. First, it's a buffet. All you can eat for 34.50 euros. Second, the a la carte stops after a certain time so if the buffet's not your gig then there's not much else available. That said, there's a McDonald's across the road if that floats your boat. The bar's not bad. There's a good selection of beers and the staff are jolly. My advise is to eat there too. If you're early enough to order off the a la carte have the steak with gnocci. Excellent! There are two other gotcha's with this hotel. The one that really got my goat was the WiFi scam. Top tip: ask for a login to the wireless network when you check in. You'll be handed a slip of paper with a username and password that allows yoy access to the lobby network free of charge. The catch is that this logon will also work from your room. Now if you don't know this then you'll probably do as I did on my first visit and sign up to the network from your room which will cost you almost 9 euros per 24hrs. The second thing you need to be aware of is not necessarily directly connected to the hotel but more to do with gettng there from Amsterdam airport. On my first visit a few weeks ago, I jumped in a cab as one does. When I told the driver where I was going he went crazy. He shouted that he had waited for three hours to get to the rank and that the hotel was a five minute ride away. As we passed the stand for the hotel shuttles, he furiously wagged a finger and screamed "FREE!!!". You get the picture. So, on my most recent visit, I took the shuttle bus for the hotel but had to wait 20 minutes before it arrived. If you're in a hurry, take a cab, plug in you phones and crank up the volume. Next time I'm staying at the Seven Bridges in town.

• Stayed October 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Goneilluk
Genoa, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

I have spent 3 nights at NH Schiphol Airport.

The hotel provides an efficient shuttle service and the lobby is well maintained.

Restaurant and bar are well maintained and the personnel cordial and helpful .

Rooms in my opinion are a bit basic.

Breakfast ok and one of the first time in my life I found a 4 mins boiled egg as it should be (not rock hard...).

Only disappointing element was the wireless, defined as free in the 'lobbyl'' but not so in the rooms and the daily cost was abt 9 Eur, i.e. far too high compared to the cost the hotel bears for that service.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Dado_63xx
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

Free shuttle bus jets you away to this business airport hotel in minutes. The hotel lobby was nice and we were provided with a king room. Bathroom was spotless and the tub was gorgeous. One oddity, which is prevalent in Europe, was the lack of spacing between the toilet and glass shower door. Being a short 5"2 female, my knees were right against this door. Towels were large and fluffy, bed very comfortable, and the pillows were new and plentiful. Old CRT tv but it was functional. Very spacious room (for European standards). We only stayed one night to catch an early morning flight. A McDonald's is conveniently directed across from this property and was a godsend. Just needed a quick meal before our flight. Did not use the hotel amenities but there appeared to be free wifi in the lobby, nice lounge area, indoor swimming pool and gym, and pay park. Staff were professional. Would stay here again but only to be near the airport. Not convenient for those needing to actually visit Amsterdam central.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoofddorp
citizenM Schiphol Airport
Van der Valk Hotel Schiphol
Hyatt Place Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Hotel Ibis Schiphol Amsterdam Airport
Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center
Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Been to NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport? Share your experiences!