“A good Hampton hotel”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Hoofddorp
Sophia-Antipolis/Mougins
“A good Hampton hotel”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This hotel is conveniently located near to the airport and some seasonal attractions - Keukenhof, for example. It is a clean, modern property, staff is friendly. Complimentary breakfast is adequate. Internet works well.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Mark W, Front Office Manager at Hampton by Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with me. I really appreciate all of the feedback I receive from our guests.

I am looking forward to welcome you again in our hotel in the near future.

Kind regards and have a nice weekend!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Avoid the hassles and high prices of Amsterdam proper. Here you have free airport shuttle, a 3 minute walk to train for all destinations, great breakfast and comfortable quiet rooms. It's in a bit of a concrete jungle but a nice walk, about 15-20 minutes, to Hoofddoorp town center for restaurants.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Hampton by Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, responded to this review, 19 April 2014

Swindon
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Hampton Inn, Hoofddorp, near Schipol Airport, Amsterdam. Being a Marriott Gold member when booking hotels I always look at Marriott properties first and looked at the Courtyard Schipol but the rates were what I considered much too high for a Courtyard property, in part due to the bulb season no doubt. The ones in Amsterdam centre were typical major city rates, on par with London and New York, so because the primary reason for my trip was to visit Keukenhof gardens I decided against these too.

The rates on offer at the Hampton Inn were very good 71 euro’s plus tax per night and the majority of reviews on Trip Advisor and other sites were good so I thought why not. As I said my main reason for the trip was to visit Keukenhof gardens so staying at a property near the airport made a lot of sense as the special express bus goes from just outside the main entrance doors, to help others I’ve put a review on of my experiences of getting there and also the gardens themselves.

The hotel apparently only opened in April 2013 according to a letter handed me on check in. I arrived around 09.30 on a very busy Sunday morning and caught the shuttle from the airport. Not surprisingly no rooms were ready at that time and the breakfast area was really crowded, I chose to sit and wait in a comfortable seating area alongside the main reception. This turned out to be quite an interesting time as it did highlight the issues others have raised about the shuttle. Why do people always take it out on the reception staff if a shuttle is late arriving or is full, traffic around airports can often be congested and totally outside of the staff’s control, however, the size and timings of the shuttle is something management can do something about and in my opinion need to review, as it seemed to cause quite a lot of unnecessary work for the reception staff, not to mention disgruntled guests who left with a bad impression of the hotel. My advice use the train, see below.

I didn’t have to wait to long for a clean room, check in went smoothly. On entering the room I was really impressed with the modern layout and the spotless clean housekeeping. Ok so you couldn’t hold a dance in there but it was a good side with a double bed, desk, hangers (behind the bathroom's sliding door) and drawers, 32” flat screen TV with plenty of channels with several languages including Discovery and National Geographic. There was a small laptop size safe, which I like, plus coffee and tea making facilities. The shower was powerful enough unless you really do like to be blasted; the soap and shampoo were in dispensers. The room had plenty of lighting which required the room key to be inserted above the switches on entering the room. The sink and shower both had hot water.

The breakfast as some other reviews have said was very good, scrambled eggs, baked beans, bacon and sausage were the hot choices. Choice of coffee types and fruit juices plus pastries and fresh fruit and a nice selection of cold meats and cheeses. I would have to agree the choices were greater than that found in Hampton Inn’s in the USA I’ve stayed at.

The hotel has a small bar and sells a small selection of snacks neither of which I tried so can’t comment on prices, etc.

The free Wi-Fi worked fine in my room and there are two computers next to reception with a printer.

A couple of things I checked before booking the Hampton , how much car parking capacity did they have and how close was it to the train station. I checked these because looking on Google maps it raised concerns, caused by the fact that the Google site is out of date, they are still showing the Hampton Inn in its previous life as an office for Canon. Through trip Advisor I asked Hampton how much car parking they had because I was thinking of hiring a car, Mark Welbers very quickly came back and reassured me there was plenty; although given the excess that is charged by the hire car companies in the Netherlands I chose the public transport option for getting around, which turned out to be the correct decision for me.

I think the reviews that mention the shuttle bus as an issue are correct, the buses are very small but can and should be booked early to avoid disappointment. However, that said there is an entrance with a ticket machine for the train station with direct links into Schipol, only 4 minutes away, right opposite the Hampton less than 100 yards across the road. Top tip here; the railway ticket machines only take coins or Maestro cards, so if you have Visa, MasterCard, etc. credit cards you are out of luck. You can however use these at the Schipol Railway ticket office; like in the UK the Netherlands recognise use the chip and PIN. They do offer something called a OV Click card similar to London’s Oyster card but I wasn’t there long enough to get one of these so can’t comment on the pro’s and con’s over a paper ticket.

From Hoofddorp you can get direct trains to Amsterdam Central for 9.60 euro return, Schipol return is 4.80 euro’s. It is in fact only 0.20 euro more expensive to purchase a Hoofddorp to Amsterdam Central return than it is getting the shuttle to the airport and buying a Schipol to Amsterdam Central return. If you intend going into Amsterdam for the day I would certainly recommend the train from Hoofddorp, the trains are regular, frequent and I thought safe. From here you can also catch trains to Leiden, The Hague, Rotterdam and other major cities. A word of warning the single Hoofddorp to Schipol is 2.40 euro's and the return is double, so it does make sense to get the Hoofddorp to Amsterdam Central return as it saves you money and time, no waiting around at the hotel or at Schipol for the shuttle bus.

A very good hotel in a quiet and safe area offering affordable rates that includes free breakfast and Wi-Fi all within 25 minutes of the centre of Amsterdam and 4 minutes from Schipol by train, I would certainly recommend it.

Room Tip: I had a room on the 4th floor facing away from the train lines, no noise whatsoever.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Pointscollector
Mark W, Front Office Manager at Hampton by Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, responded to this review, 18 April 2014

Kingston, Washington
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This Hampton by Hilton hotel was converted from an office building (as explained by the front desk) and is very modern, clean and definitely set up for business travelers who need a place near Schiphol.
The room was perfectly appointed with a comfy bed, good lighting, desk by the window, very nice bath and speedy wifi. Breakfast is included in the rate which seems to be rare in Europe these days. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There is a small bar with beers on tap and the breakfast area has plenty of space.
The hotel is a short walk from the Hoofddorp train station so getting to the airport or Amsterdam is very easy. They also have a shuttle from the airport.
My rate was around EUR95.00 for the night I stayed which is very fair considering how nice the hotel is and it's location to the airport.
It's only disadvantage (I won't call it a problem) is that it is located in an area that is mostly business parks so there are no sights or restaurants close by (that I know of at least). But this is resolved by hopping the train for a short ride to Amsterdam where (of course) there are plenty of choices.
This Hampton is definitely my choice if I need to stay a night or two near Schiphol.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 April 2014

As a diamond member, had a suite where the fosset didnt turn to left at all to warm water, it was said hilton didnt want that by the older manager Lady downstairs. Now no one can tell me u cant have warm water in a hotel, also since i stayed in other rooms there where all did work, this was then a blatant lie! I called Hilton honors and they said in no way this would be allowed to happen to customers. Cause i reclaimed my money for the first time ever as a diamond member and stayed all over the world! Then the grip was missing in the showerdoor, so you grab in the wood and it gave me a splinter! Saftey hazards both mentioned. No hot water means Legionelle bacteria risk and plain wood means another hazard, then the Sink was smelling like sewer, seems the room was totally not taken care of at all, but just rented out all the time like this.! Mind all, i made pics of these things and showed them downstairs! No other offer nor reaction was mentioned so i reclaimed my 100% satisfaction right to get my money back. Then the end remark was..at least u slept for free! Also..mr Marc?..why was it a must to pay all of a sudden on forehand when i went back to the hotel when i stayed 2 weeks there a few days before. As ur staffmember that night said she found it emberrasing to ask so blatant for a pay first being instructed harshley to cash in first. And all this to a Diamond member who stayed 7 months a year in hotels! From Hilton to Doubletree, to other Hamptons to Marriots... So in short..not a Hilton worthy, and something of a bad treatment that would never happen in any Hampton in the USA..and i stayed in many of them there. Too bad as the Hotel is really modern and clean in other occasions of stay, and the breakfast is one of the best. From making this our base hotel when needed to leaving it forgood cause of that one stay lately wich made all stays before faded away.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Seattle, United States
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Staff was kind. Shuttle was branded with different company's logo, so had to wait 30 min for it to come round again. Morning shuttles were full, so had to take train to airport. Shower pulsed cold then hot water.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank David C
Maple Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed there for a night before our flight to Barcelona. Staff was very helpful. Rooms are smaller than most hotels in USA. No mini bar or fridge in room. Also no room service, if you need food the staff will help you with a delivery menu from outside. Breakfast buffet was ok, very few selection. Overall good for single night and business trip.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Kind regards and have a nice Easter weekend!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoofddorp
Hyatt Place Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Novotel Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Schiphol
NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
citizenM Schiphol Airport

Been to Hampton by Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol? Share your experiences!