We were attracted by the pictures of the romantic chateau, the immaculate grounds, the restaurants and the spa facilities. And they were all there, exactly like on the pictures. So if you are looking for that kind of storybook scenery “live” you will not be disappointed !
Also, you will not be disappointed by the food. Both the bistro and the restaurant are really nice, with very friendly staff, good quality food, care for detail, and if you are lucky, a table next to the fountain.
The grounds are truly awesome, and it must take an army of gardeners to keep the place as manicured as it is.
Moving on to the Spa you are getting yourself into muddy waters however. If you are lucky and there are few or no other guests you’ll find heavenly bliss. If however you stumble into a couple of kids your peace and quiet go down the drain. Guaranteed. No effort is taken to restrict access to the facilities or even just keep them quiet. Worse yet, some of the resident kids (the hotel not only caters to regular hotel guests but also to permanent residents who bought apartments in the complex) seem to have obtained a carte blanche to occupy the Spa facilities and turn it into their personal playground. So you’d better look elsewhere for those relaxing Spa treatments !
Moving on to the hotel rooms, that could be OK if and as long as the temperatures do not rise over 25 degrees Celsius. Any warmer than that and the lack of air conditioning will have you up all night. That would probably happen anyway since the chateau's church bells chime all hours all night long, so what should be a good night’s sleep turns into 8 naps of 59 minutes each.
All in all: if you are looking for scenery or a lovely dinner/lunch you’ll be fine and I would rate St Gerlach as a five star experience without a doubt. Spend the night in the hotel and use the Spa facilities and you could easily be disappointed. Definitely not worth the money, and therefor a three star rating.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Could anything be more attractive? The irresistibly attractive Geul valley, the marvelous Ingendael wild life reserve, our own extensive parks, stylish baroque gardens, a farmhouse herb garden, a standard-tree fruit arboretum, and a rose garden – features that as such have given cause to the fame of Chateau St. Gerlach.It’s a unique place to escape from the pressures of everyday life. Pamper yourself in true five-star style in these picturesque surroundings, where historic buildings nestle in magnificent countryside. You will find a splendid hotel with 97 hotel rooms, suites and hotel apartments, a la carte Restaurant Chateau St. Gerlach, Bistrot de Liege, Spa & Wellness St. Gerlach, a Roman indoor swimming pool and several meeting and banqueting rooms for business meetings and receptions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotel.de, Hotels.com, HRS, Traveltool, S.L.U., Agoda, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Chateau St. Gerlach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chateau St. Gerlach Hotel Valkenburg
- Chateau St Gerlach Valkenburg