“Very average, overpriced”

Chateau St. Gerlach
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Valkenburg
“Very average, overpriced”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This Christmas holiday, I decided to take a suite at this hotel. Check-in was pleasant enough and efficient. No help though finding the room, which was located in a separate building and no help with luggage. The space was fine, but certainly not worthy of being called a suite. I had ordered flowers to be placed in the room ahead of time, but to my surprise there were not in any way related a to a Christmas theme. Christmas Eve dinner followed in the restaurant. I rated it 4 out of 10. At first sight, the ambiance was wonderful, good decor, pleasant service. The food was indifferent though: I cannot understand how the Gault Millau guide (otherwise quite reliable) rated this place as highly as it did. Moreover, the many children in the restaurant were running amok and rather created the atmosphere of a kindergarten than a proper fine dining room. We also made use of the spa. Again, 3 out of 10 for the experience. Just not the refined ambiance one would expect with a Relais & Chateaux property. At €350 per night excl breakfast and the Christmas Eve dinner at >€100 pp, the value equation was not there. All in all, very disappointing and it should not be very difficult to fix!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank arthurlsbastings
ChateauStGerlach, Guest Relations at Chateau St. Gerlach, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Dear Mr. Bastings,

We would like to thank you for your stay in Château St. Gerlach during the Christmas Holidays and your review at Tripadvisor.
We strive to make each and every guest our ambassador when leaving our estate. Unfortunately we have not accomplished this during this stay.
I have already send you a message by e-mail to discuss your remarks.

I hope that we may welcome you again on our estate in the near future.

Kathleen Savelkoul, Guest relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 16 November 2013

On a ten-day business trip to Europe, I took a weekend break and stayed one night with my adult son at Chateau St Gerlach. We shared a junior suite advertised as having "great views". It turned out to be a dark, virtually windowless, dusty, cramped room in the attic with great views of the wooden timbers indeed.
The five-course dinner we had in the main restaurant was of good, but for its category not exceptional quality. Hotel and restaurant services were adequate and friendly.
Overall a not so great price-quality ratio experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JFJM
ChateauStGerlach, Guest Relations at Chateau St. Gerlach, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear JFJM,

We already have approached you by email to discuss the mentioned issues.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed in Chatrau St. Gerlach for 4 nights for business meetings. This was my third time in the hotel.
The hotel is not business friendly at all. Rooms are very dark, which makes it very difficult to work. My room had no wifi reception, I had to go to the lobby to download my emails.
Room service was terrible. One day I found an open big bottle of water in my room. On the same day one of my colleagues found half a sandwich in his room also.
The worst thing was that I forgot my coat in the room when I checked out. I called the hotel on the same night, but they said they didn't find it. I am 100% sure that I left it on the chair in the room. I am very surprised that it wasn't found.
One last thing, there are no air conditions in the rooms. This time it was fine because we were in November, but last time I was there in August and it was hot. There was a small fan in the room which I found it to be funny.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank B_traveller_2050
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I stayed 3 nights at Chateau St Gerlach. The property is roughly 15 minutes away from Maastricht, in a quiet village, surrounded by lovely pastures and forests.
The upkeep of the grounds, both the formal gardens and the farmland is impressive, truly a beautiful place to stay at. The chateau houses the two restaurants and meeting rooms, and the lodging is at the former farmhouse and a couple of recent buildings behind the Chateau and Church.
The farmhouse was obviously completely redone to house the hotel proper. The interior design is elegant and cosy, especially the bar.
I was kindly upgraded to a tower suite, a lovely room, with a mezzanine below the exposed roof structure. Lighting was very poor, and even with all lights on the room was very dark. The furniture was oversized and a bit disturbing. In order to watch TV from the bed we had to move some pieces around. The bathroom was a bit small and not very stylish. There was a ladybug infestation in the room. I don't have a problem with ladybugs, but a hotel of this category shouldn't leave a thing like this happen.
Cleaning was below par, as we found several ladybugs left dead by the window behind the bed.
The breakfast in the garden pavilion was quite good, as was lunch in the lovely bistro. Unfortunately I didn't try the acclaimed restaurant, but the dining rooms were very elegant. Service was correct and competent throughout.
The indoor pool was beautiful, but for some reason they keep it locked. I had to go back and forth between the spa and the hotel, in the rain, carrying my bathrobe, slippers and an umbrella, to have someone open it for me. Uncomfortable to say the least. The locker room was unisex which is inexcusable given the amount of space available, bearing in mind that most people won't stroll around the property in their bathrobes, especially when it's cold and windy! The next day I actually saw two very brave guests venturing to the pool in their bathrobes under an even stronger downpour. I hope they didn't catch a cold.
All in all a very good hotel in a memorable setting, that needs some improvements to make it truly excellent.

1 Thank PortoTraveller
ChateauStGerlach, Guest Relations at Chateau St. Gerlach, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear PortoTraveller,

It is a pleasure to read that the majority of your stay was satisfactory. We noted down your remarks and our Resident Manager, Pascal Gulpen, would like to discus and explain your remarks to you in detail. As we do not have your contact details we kindly ask to contact Pascal Gulpen via his e-mail p.gulpen@chateauhotels.nl.

We apologize our staff did not explain to you that your room key opens the locked door to the swimming pool.

We look forward to hope hearing from you.

Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My wife and I spent two nights here. Excellent grounds with lots of modern art outside, some of it not attractive. Our room was large, with state-of-the art bathroom facilities. But the room furnishings were tired, and the heating controls difficult, if they functioned at all. We had an excellent breakfast buffet (including homemade jams), but when we went to dinner in the bistro, they walked us through the kitchen! Wonderful warm and large swimming pool. Also, the onsite church, with a checkered history of neglect and renovation, was very interesting.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
ChateauStGerlach, Guest Relations at Chateau St. Gerlach, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Timothy L,

Hereby we would like to thank you for the time you took to note down your remarks on Tripadvisor, we appreciate the effort you made.
We really appreciate your feedback about your stay and are pleased you had a wonderful time at our estate. Nice to read you had an excellent breakfast buffet and you liked our products of Verger de Camille.

I hope that we may welcome you again on our estate in the near future.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Kortenberg, Belgium
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

We spent 2 days in Maastricht and Valkenburg to celebrate my birthday and the one from our 1year old daughter.
We stayed at the St. Gerlach for 1 night and dinner.
Our first and most surprising impression was the way they ŵelcome kids and babies. There was a gift at the reception, and all materials you can think of to take care of our baby in the room, even the slippers :-)

The room was very comfortable, although not refurbished Ina few years. The Chateau and the park are simply gorgeous and breath taking. Every single corner has something to discover, from art to statues to a beautifully refurbished church to rose gardens.

We stayed at the Bistrot de Liege for dinner with our baby and it was just what we needed, nice brasserie menu, quick service and very causy and historical interior.
Breakfast was simply amazing in choice, quality and friendliness of the staff. Champagne is included in the price if you wish.

It's just a great stay and we'll certainly go back.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LaurentBelgium
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I have attended a number of business functions here. Always well organised with attentive service. Recently I needed to attaned a business function here on my Wife's birthday. So we decided to stay at the hotel and make an event of it.

We arrived early and has a very nice and reasonably priced light lunch at the Bistro.

We followed this by spending the afternoon in the small, but very nice spa. Nice facilities - pool, steam roon and sauna. In addition we had some treatments whci were very well done - maybe a little pricey.

Our room was on the ground floor in the main building. If you want to spend more, they also have some very nice suites and small apartments in seperate buidlings. The standard room was fine, comfortable bed and plenty of space. The bathroom was nice and very clean, but could lacks any "wow" factor.

Breakfast is served in the very light and airy garden room with beautiful views over the parklands. Its s abuffet style menu - hot and cold options and a good variety. It is quite expensive, even compared to most hotel breakfasts.

After breakfast we took a stroll around the chateau and the grounds with its quirky and interesting art collection - don't miss the big rotating egg in front of the bistro / restaurant! Perhaps the most beautiful and spectacular part of the chateau is the very beatiful chapel - don't miss the oppoortunity to take a few quiet moments in this ornate and restful place before you leave.

As always, the staff were attentive and helpful - this cannot be taken for granted in The Netherlands, so full marks for the excellent hospitality.

If you would like to treat yourself to a relaxing couple of days in a beautiful environment with excellent food and a nice spa this should definitely be on your list.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valkenburg
Kruisherenhotel Maastricht
#3 of 47 in Valkenburg
Kasteel Bloemendal
Kasteel Bloemendal
#1 of 2 in Vaals

Been to Chateau St. Gerlach? Share your experiences!