This Christmas holiday, I decided to take a suite at this hotel. Check-in was pleasant enough and efficient. No help though finding the room, which was located in a separate building and no help with luggage. The space was fine, but certainly not worthy of being called a suite. I had ordered flowers to be placed in the room ahead of time, but to my surprise there were not in any way related a to a Christmas theme. Christmas Eve dinner followed in the restaurant. I rated it 4 out of 10. At first sight, the ambiance was wonderful, good decor, pleasant service. The food was indifferent though: I cannot understand how the Gault Millau guide (otherwise quite reliable) rated this place as highly as it did. Moreover, the many children in the restaurant were running amok and rather created the atmosphere of a kindergarten than a proper fine dining room. We also made use of the spa. Again, 3 out of 10 for the experience. Just not the refined ambiance one would expect with a Relais & Chateaux property. At €350 per night excl breakfast and the Christmas Eve dinner at >€100 pp, the value equation was not there. All in all, very disappointing and it should not be very difficult to fix!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Could anything be more attractive? The irresistibly attractive Geul valley, the marvelous Ingendael wild life reserve, our own extensive parks, stylish baroque gardens, a farmhouse herb garden, a standard-tree fruit arboretum, and a rose garden – features that as such have given cause to the fame of Chateau St. Gerlach.It’s a unique place to escape from the pressures of everyday life. Pamper yourself in true five-star style in these picturesque surroundings, where historic buildings nestle in magnificent countryside. You will find a splendid hotel with 97 hotel rooms, suites and hotel apartments, a la carte Restaurant Chateau St. Gerlach, Bistrot de Liege, Spa & Wellness St. Gerlach, a Roman indoor swimming pool and several meeting and banqueting rooms for business meetings and receptions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotel.de, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Agoda, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your Chateau St. Gerlach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chateau St. Gerlach Hotel Valkenburg
- Chateau St Gerlach Valkenburg