“Close to Assen TT”

Brinkhotel Zuidlaren
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Zuidlaren
Reviewed 30 June 2013

If your planning a visit around the end of June say to the Assen TT (MotoGP),this hotel is handy about a 15-20min ride. We booked in November of the preceeding year for 3 nights and then required a fourth night. The fourth night was almost 50% cheaper as it was the day before the start of the TT.There is parking available freely and within walking distances a number of meal choices are available. There is also two supermarkets and a post office within 200m. The town has many quaint buildings and hosts a market in the town square.
The hotel rooms are average in size with smallish bathrooms.However tea & coffee making facilities are available and 24hrs reception. An in house restarant is available. A sauna and solarium are available also.The price we paid of 106euro wasnt cheap and didnt include breakfast. Wi Fi is free in the rooms.

Room Tip: try to get breakfast included.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 June 2013

It's time for the hotel to renovate the rooms; the carpet smells a bit and is at least a decade old. When we arrived, both the room and the bathroom were properly cleaned. There is only one main lamp available in the room and two next to each side of the bed. For people with low visibility, this might be a bit difficult. Basic amenities such as shampoo and shower gel are available.

The hotel offers two types of pillows; a stiff one and a soft one that I prefer personally. Breakfast is decent, not extraordinary and not bad either. Items that I regard as normal to be available in a hotel, such as orange juice, scrambled eggs, croissants, dairy and fruit. Yet the croissants weren't freshly baked as far as I know. Service in the hotel is not extremely friendly, but the staff was experienced anyway. The surroundings are nice for small excursions by bike or by car; the cities Assen and Groningen are within 15 minutes of driving. Wi-Fi is available for free and functions properly.

I personally do not think that this hotel is a 4-star hotel. I would regard is as a 3-star hotel. We (a family with 6 persons in total) benefitted from a special arrangement in June 2013; €89 each for two nights, two breakfasts, two dinners and free bike rental. Public transport to Groningen is possible by public transport: the bus stops in front of the hotel. The town Zuidlaren has ±10,000 inhabitants: it's especially long, but not very wide. The town is nice to make one or to small hikes through, but nothing special.

All in all, I would recommend the hotel for those who are not requiring hotel visitors that like to see the surroundings of Zuidlaren; Assen and Groningen city for 2-3 days, and would not accept a price higher than €80 p.n. For business travelers, I would recommend sleeping somewhere else since the amenities are too limited and the town too quiet. For those, Mercure Groningen would be a better solution in my opinion.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Well, it was a cheap hotel, so the cheap rooms and the location combined makes this a decent option if you're staying in Zuidlaren area. However, there were quite a few things that really did not charm us.
Let's start with the reception: the staff did their job perfectly okay, but they never smiled, were not interested in helping us or other guest with what to see in the area and quite frankly came across as being rather rude.
The first night of our stay we had dinner in the restaurant: the food was miserable, badly prepared and on top of that we never got one of our dishes - although we paid full price. The breakfast buffet was also a miserable affair. In all fairness, when you opt for a cheap hotel solution you cannot expect a super breakfast, but the food here was not nice and add to that that the buffet area was too small and therefore permanently overcrowded. Worst of all, of course, was the coffee machine. In the name of efficiency they have a coffee machine from where you get your hot drinks. Now that is actually okay for a hotel in this price range, however, it is not acceptable that to get a cup of tea or coffee you have to wait a long time in the line - every day and every time without fail. On the bright side, the staff in the restaurant were always friendly, maybe to compensate for the extremely dirty chairs.
On our last morning, we had put the "please-do-not-disturb" sign out while we were getting ready to depart. However, that did not deter the cleaning staff from knocking on our door, and asking us if we would be ready to leave soon because they were keen to clean the room (needless to say, this was before check-out time).
So yes, it was clean, cheap and had good location, however, I recommend you to look for another option.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Indiaphil
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I stayed in this Hotel for one night, after Check in went to the room, what was very disappointing for what I paid, was old, smelly, small, bathroom tiny and tiles with no grouting, shower had mold on the floor and wall. I had a appointment straight away, but after i got back to the Hotel went to reception and complaint about it, answer I should have come sooner nothing they could do about it !!!!! For the price I paid 81 euro's without breakfast I found this a rip off and that for a 4 star Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for room inspection first
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Dick K
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I used this hotel for work on a number of occasions in Autumn 2011. I found this hotel cheap, clean and in a great location, right in the centre of Zuidlaren. We paid around 50 Euros per night for a double room without breakfast. The food in the hotel restaurant was good and the staff very polite and helpful. I think they had just started to renovate some of the rooms during my last visit, some of which are definitely in need of an update.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the main road as this can be rather noisy at times.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 June 2011

We used this hotel only for one night. Location is good in the very nice village of Zuidlaren, and not too far from Groningen. Easy to reach by car or bus. Check-in without any additional information at the front desk, not even about breakfast options, which were not included in the price. We did not use the restaurant, there are several good restaurants at walking distance (we had dinner at Cosineros, very good!). Our room was on the second floor, very small, basic and outdated. No refrigerator, no minibar. You can make some instant coffee however. Bathroom was nice, shower only. Room and bathroom were both spotless. Beds were pretty soft. Our room overlooked a small and not very attractive patio. All in all, certainly no 4 stars, 3 at most. But, the price we paid was equivalent. Pay attention to the rooms, ours was a standard room, there are superior rooms as well, these are more expensive. Both type of rooms seem to have many differences though. We would come back if it was again for a one night stay, but certainly not for about a week or so. Check out took a long time, because there was only 1 person available at the desk, and of course there seemed to be a problem with another couple's invoice...

Room Tip: If you need some space, take a superior room
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Petra_DL
Reviewed 25 July 2010

3 people, 1 room, 2 nights= 431 Euros. You do the math at the end but first Some of hightlights

1. The staff were friendly except the receptionist on the day shift. (Older Lady that has a smokers voice)

2. The hotel is in DIRE need of a makeover. The rooms and decor is from the 1980's The rooms were spacious and clean.Some issues with the showers moisture stains on the ceilings.

3. Comes with a Bar, Restaurant and patio.

Our situation:
We reserved a room for 3 people they were nice enough to rather than go for the cheaper option of one room for 99 Euros a night triple occupancy rate. Charge us 129 Euros per person special rate that included 2 dinners and 2 breakfasts bike rentals and tour..... We actually used 2 breakfasts and one dinner.

The morning buffet was sparse. Some cold cuts bread and scrambled eggs and really bad bacon that ran out early both mornings. The Dinner we had was a buffet with some nicely cooked meats. Dessert was nice as well.

We enjoyed our time in Groningen (Requires a car or Bus) and we had dinner the first night at the Italian restaurant closest to the restaurant. (Because the kitchen was closed by the time we checked in at 8:30

Additionally my brother slept on a cot that they were nice enough to bring into the room.

Sunday we checked out and was handed a bill for 431 Euros we questioned the bill and asked what the room rate would have been here is what it would have worked out as.

99 x 2 = 189 Euros Room Rates
13x6 = 78 Euros for 2 days of breakfast.
24*3 = 72 Euros for Dinner
Total = 339 Euros

When I explained that we were looking to pay for what we used I was told that this was not possible as these were packages. I asked about how to talk to customer service for Tulip Inn I was told that they represented the owner of the hotel and that they are privately owned hotel. Translate into thanks for staying if you have an issue with me then tough. Additionally I was told that I should have looked at all 40+ packages available on the website. (I ordered over the phone and was not told anything about this)

P.S. After I raised my voice and mentioned trip advisor and a bad review they through a free lunch at me..... whatever.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank DnDAmsterdam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zuidlaren
Binnenstad-Zuid
Martini Hotel
Martini Hotel
#13 of 18 in Groningen

Been to Brinkhotel Zuidlaren? Share your experiences!