“Recommended”

Cuisines: Norwegian, Soups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Despite its name, there's only one dish with stockfish on the menu. However, the choice of food is ample and its quality and taste average to good. We tried the Pier plate, beef with rice noodles and a baked potato with shrimps. Not bad, but not so remarkable either. Portions are ok, prices acceptable. Orders are to be put at the cash desk, not at the table. Recommended, but probably not the best in town.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We wanted to have dinner without dressing up. This is a good place for that (as are most on the Lofoten). We didn't know that is was self-service. You couldn't tell before. I ordered mussels with chili, garlic and onions. Found nothing of that back, tasted like plain mussels, no salad or fries. I gave them back to the kitchen. Said they were tasteless, and nothing else was asked. Ordered the chicken wok instead which my husband had ordered. He had a big bowl and a lot of chicken and various vegetables in it. After he had already finished, I got my bowl. Half the size my husband had, almost no veggies and 10 little pieces of chicken!! I was pissed. Normally I'm not a complainer, but now they had me on top of the roof. 20 euros for a small bowl of noodles and nothing more! Yeah, Norway is expensive but this was a scandal. The waitress saw my face and asked if something was wrong. She deserves an A+ because she offered to give me my money back (for the wok, not the mussels) without one word of discussion. So, that was handled properly!

Reviewed 17 July 2013

We went to the Bacalao, despite some not too positive reviews, because we could not find a table in the Kjoekkenet. We had creamed fish soup, whale steak and ham and brie salad. The food was very good and reasonably priced. The place was full of young people as well as families with little kids. Service was non-existent (you pay at the bar and they just bring you the food. You even have to get your own water and drinks), but that was expected. The girl at the bar was very kind and efficient, though. A place to go.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

To summarize: staff was waiting for tip when you have to order and pick up your stuff at the bar...
Food is on the low average, ambiance poor and prices extremely high. Choose something else!

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Bacalao in the Svolvaer wharf has a pleasant maritime location with comfortable seating inside and outside. The menu is rather limited. The specialty bacalao, or cod prepared in a tomato sauce resembling Basque style is tasty. Other seafood entrees were adequate though not specially daring. Ordering food at the bar is required and makes for fast service. Sitting outside with blankets and gas heaters is an option in mild days.