“best rorbuer, excellent”

and 1 more site!
Svinoya Rorbuer - BaseCamp Lofoten
Reviewed 27 September 2013

we're staying 6 days in one Bedroom Rorbuer. the rorbuer are located on an Island near Svolvaer. 20' (feet) to Center.Reception ist nice and the check-In was perfekt, many Info of svolvear. us Rorbuer was big and we have a good kitchen. the view of the Water was fantastic. for me the best "hotel" in Svolvaer. A cab to the Airport is about 180 Kronen

Room Tip: a separat Rorbu ist perfect
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in a cozy cottage in August. The cottages are located on an island just off the mainland of Svolvaer (even though Svolvaer is on an island also). We didn't have a car, so walking was our mode of transportation. We must be out of shape because when we had to walk up this big bridge to get to the island I panicked. But then when I saw grandpa with his cane walking up the bridge faster than me I realized I was being dramatic about the bridge. Once we crossed the bridge we found the rorbu reception building directly to our right. The receptionist was very nice, he even let us check in early. We had a rorbu that was attached to another rorbu, and we could hear them talking all the time, which was annoying...I thought they were going to be separate rorbus. But, the cabin was extremely cozy and in a very beautiful setting. We would definitely stay here again. And fyi, a cab to the airport from the rorbu is about 200-250 kroner.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

We booked this hotel (traditional cabin) based on reviews we'd read. For four weeks ahead of arriving I tried in vain to contact the hotel to confirm how to reach the property - they supposedly had a shuttle, and I wanted to book it, but could never connect with management despite repeated e mails and even a phone call (the answering machine offered only a Norwegian message). I also tried to confirm if they had a hair dryer, no answer. If they could help arrange a taxi, no answer. If they were still open, after having sent me a confirmation via booking.com of my non-refundable charge, no answer. Despite all this I kept the reservation, based on the ratings. When we reached Solvaer, I was reassured by the Hurtigruten ferry staff, that this is just sometimes the norwegian way and not to worry (after trying several times herself, she finally connected), they were expecting us.
All is well, i think. We arrive by taxi I arranged to pick up our key at the hotel's restaurant, no problem, but I casually ask how late the restaurant is open, only to get the response. "oh, I'm fully booked". Not, gee, I am sorry but we book weeks in advance, but if you don't mind a wait you could sit in the bar and have a coke oe cup of coffee
...it is after all 10 pm.
We go to our cabin, and pass through the entry that smells as if some homeless fisherman had slept in the doorway and relieved himself there. Thankfully, the inside was clean and very accommodating. Nice big kitchen if I had planned to be there longer. Nice heated floors in the bathroom, not so nice that two of the window shades were broken ( thankfully we were not there during the summer of all day sun).
I knew from the website that no breakfast came with the room, but was certainly wiling to pay for it, as I had read that others did. When we appeared at the office the next morning to inquire about breakfast, the young man at the desk who seemed much more interested in his computer screen than helping a guest said, "oh, we only do prepaid breakfasts.". Well fine, we walk in to town and eat at a bakery. When we return to checkout, I pass through the dining room. There isn't a soul there. No one has eaten there all morning (it's 10 am). I would not have minded if the clerk had said, sorry were closed for breakfast for the season, just please be honest and courteous.
So. Now, having one more night to spend in the town, we moved to the Thon to a delightfully helpful reception clerk and a wonderful room.

Room Tip: One that doesn't smell like a latrine in the entryway
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rona s
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Three days in a Rorbuer. Fantastic. A small cottage in the sea but fully equipped with all facilities and even big for our family with two bedrooms and a living room with kitchen. Very romantic view on the bay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I have to say that Svinoya Rouber is in any case a paradise.
In addition of an incredible location of this complex of apartments and rooms on a tiny islands linked by a bridge to the city center you have the opportunity to meet the friendly manager, a genuine local character that without any request offered us an upgrade to an apartment built on the water.
3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, one of them with sauna, one kitchen with all accessories, 2 lounges with wide windows and one platform direct on the water with private seagull ! Is it enough for a couple ?
Yes, it was a kind upgrade but it is all nice around that I suppose that also the standard rooms should be ok.
What makes the difference is as usual the care of the customer. Here the customer receives all the best available, especially if you consider the usual high standard of cost of lodging in Norway.
In addition to all that see the fantastic reception, an old drugstore full of things everywhere and try the very good (not included) breakfast on the annex restaurant Borsen Spiseri, an old wooden tavern very typical and warm.
The light and the atmosphere of the location of Svinoya Rourber and in general the picture perfect landscape around are so outstanding. If you are so lucky to obtain a flat you probably never will forget this place.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

We were in rorbu number 5 for one week in August. The view was on a little inlet and was pretty quiet. It was a rorbu with one bedroom. That's a big word. Just 2 beds fitted in there and a little side table. That's all! But because there is a living/dining/kitchen area, you have enough room to put your suitcases there. And there was a bathroom. As I understood, most bathrooms in Norway (don't know in new buidings) are very small. So was this one, although the shower was larger than normal. It all looked 'rustique', except for the tv. It was almost very clean! They wiped the floor with a mob I guess, because on the right and the left of the hallway were a lot of grey hairs. And the heater and ventilator in the bathroom were very dusty. This you see in may places. But I just don't get it. It is an object as any other and should be cleaned! The rorbu wasn't cleaned for the whole week. That was a no go for that price! Clean towels and sheets as many as you want, just ask the reception.
The area is magic and very central to visit a big part of the Lofoten. And the restaurant Børsen Spiceri is very good. Read my seperate review on this one. Both Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Not all rorbuer have a good view. Numbers 1 and 2 are situated near the parking lot.
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

When we arrived we were upgraded to a beautiful glass fronted house with two balconies and a sauna. It has a well equipped kitchen and v comfy furniture. A real treat. The house looks straight on to the water and there is plenty of boat activity to watch. The town is a working capital and so some ugly buildings but surrounded by mountains.

• Stayed: August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Svolvaer
Thon Hotel Lofoten
#1 of 1 in Svolvaer
Nyvagar Rorbuhotel
Nyvagar Rorbuhotel
#2 of 25 in Vagan

Been to Svinoya Rorbuer - BaseCamp Lofoten? Share your experiences!