“Well situated”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sandvika
London, United Kingdom
“Well situated”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

An easy walk from the station (though not well signposted and not possible to walk back to the station out of mall opening hours) and just down the road from the huge Mall, this is a pretty run of the mill experience. I arrived on a Sunday afternoon and it was so quiet that I thought I was the only person in the hotel! Almost spooky! Room was tired and dated and looked out onto an internal atrium - not inspiring when the hotel is actually on the Fjord! The "comfort-controlled" system was both noisy and hard to figure out and I was desperate for fresh air by the time I left. There did not appear to be a room service menu so I "ate" from the basket of goodies - peanuts, crisps or chocolate bar. Needless to say, I was a very enthusiastic audience for Breakfast!! Which actually was very comprehensive but the "fresh" orange juice was not. Souless atmosphere.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a view outside!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Lars P, Lars Pettersen, Rooms Division Manager at Thon Hotel Oslofjord, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Penny F,

Thank you for your feedback.

The shopping mall has agreed to put up signs to our hotel outside and inside their center. This will hopefully make it easier to find the hotel.

We are refurbishing 30 more rooms this month, and soon the entire hotel will be refurbished.
The hotel has a central ventilation system that heat and cool the hotel.

In the room there is an extra control that can make the temperature go up/down 2-3 degrees.

Our restaurant is open every day.

There is orange press machine on the breakfast buffet, next to the water dispenser.

We will try harder to make a warmer atmosphere!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Bristol
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I spent 3 nights here recently ... clean and well laid out modern hotel. The room was spacious and the bed comfortable. The service in the restaurant is very slow .. a combination of too few staff and lack of a process. The prices are Norwegian prices .. so go easy on the beer. Breakfast was very good and being self service, much more efficient. There is nothing to do in Sandvika, not the fault of the hotel, except visit the large and expensive shopping centre next door.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Lars P, Lars Pettersen, Rooms Division Manager at Thon Hotel Oslofjord, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Guest,

We will improve the service in the restaurant.

In Sandvika we recommend a trip to the car free island Kalvøya just outside the hotel to experience Norwegian nature and the Oslo fjord.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I've stayed at this hotel numerous times over the years.
In the past year the hotel have undergone a refurbishment of the common areas. The atrium is quite noisy during breakfast hours and like a half empty aquarium for dinner, having 50% of the rooms facing into the atrium.
The breakfast have a good variety of Norwegian specialties and a continental assortments. Extra plus for the chef that will make you a good omelet.
The rooms facing outwards can have disturbing noise from the close highway and local streets since windows are overdue for service.
Individual AC for the rooms is good. If you are on the fifth floor the water pressure in the shower can be low in peak hours.
The restaurant is nothing special, but expansive for the area.
Plus for free parking and the shuttle transport to local business and Sandvika center and train station in the morning.

Room Tip: Floor 2-4 facing away from highway E18
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Lars P, Lars Pettersen, Rooms Division Manager at Thon Hotel Oslofjord, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Thank you for your review.
We are now renovation hotel rooms and windows.
Our restaurant has a different selection of dishes in different price ranges.
We have also added more furniture in our new lobby.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My use of this hotel had been for business and it is very conveniently located with Sandvika being on the flytoget express airport train route and then only a short 5 minutes or so taxi ride to the hotel. I have arrived very late and departed very early on occasion and checkin and checkout was very efficient.
Rooms are of a decent size and have always been very clean and are well furnished with good desk space and sitting area.
The restaurant is good quality and average priced by Norwegian standards.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Lars P, Lars Pettersen, Rooms Division Manager at Thon Hotel Oslofjord, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you and welcome back!
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 9 October 2013

There are only few hotels in Sandvika. This is the best, which is not to say they might want to improve?
This hotel is next to the biggest shopping mall in Norway. And that is something.
Hotel location is perfect for doing business in the area West of Oslo, as well as North-West and South-West. This is important with regard to Oslo traffic.

* I ordered a double bed room and got one with two singles, so had to carry back my luggage all the way back to the reception to get it changed. But it was a room looking at the interior atrium, so I was happy with a low noise level, albeit I prefer full daylight when working from my hotel room. Possibly it was a good compromise.

* The breakfast is excellent, and definitely a strong point of this hotel. I had a price with breakfast included, so was quite happy. Everything is there. Lot's of choice. From fruit and vegetables to scrambled eggs, bacon, and smoked salmon. As well as cereals, and fresh fruit juice. Really good.

* Rooms are correct in size. Modern style. With a large working area. So you can work from your hotel room. Wi-Fi works perfectly! Really EXCELLENT Wi-Fi.
It is true that airco is noisy, as said by other contributors, but you can put it off, no problem.
Bathroom is correct.
I found the room comfortable, but was not satisfied with cleanliness, nor with bathroom cleanliness.

* Restaurant. Probably I got a bad day, food was good, not exceptional, but a 4/5 would be appropriate.
Problem is with service. I probably arrived at the wrong moment at 20.30, but I had to wait for 25 minutes to even have a menu ... ! Then another 15 minutes to take the order, I was very upset. But in the end, to have a 2 course dinner, it took 1 1/2 hours to eat a starter, have a main course, and then coffee?
I got 3 excuses from 2 different people, but you know .... what should I say, if you manage a restaurant in a very expensive hotel the restaurant service should be in line?

* Hotel shuttle to the train station of Sandvika works fine. It is free for hotel guests.

I didn't make use of any additional services offered by the hotel (meeting rooms, gym, etc.)
And it is true, Norwegian hotels are expensive, but I would say: if you know you are expensive put up the standards? So you offer value for money. Or it will always be a 3/5 in terms of evaluation.

Room Tip: Be careful. Be insistent. Go back to reception, if you are not happy with your room. Rooms facing th...
6 Thank marnixgroet
Lars P, Lars Pettersen, Rooms Division Manager at Thon Hotel Oslofjord, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Marnigroet,

Thon Hotel Oslofjord is the only hotel in Sandvika and we try to give the best service in the Oslo west area. We are awared with the best hotel breakfast in Akershus county.

We only have double rooms or suites with large beds. Cleanliness is the most important for our rooms.

We repair windows or ventilation if any problems with noise etc.

We are happy you enjoy our free shuttle bus.

Please let us know if we can improve our hotel product further.

Thank you for your review.
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I happened to stay in this hotel for a week during my business trip to Sandvika (Oct 2013). Not sure if there are many hotels in Sandvika, leaving this hotel. This is just an average hotel. A pretty expensive one too (what is not in Norway!).

For me;

The room cleaning was just average. Couple of times, they forgot to refill the mini bar items. I had to go and remind them. The worst one was the mini bar refrigerator. It was literally stinking (foul smell). I found it uncleaned and thus stinking. I complained on day one and nothing changed. Since i was not using anything from refrigerator, I didnt bother to follow-up. Sometimes, even the consumed water bottles and empty chips packets were just left as it is after cleaning. Not sure what kind of cleaning.

For vegetarians (I am one such rare species) this is a bad place, especially for dinner. I reached on a Sunday night and with not restaurants outside (and help) I went to restaurant seeking some vegetarian food. There was nothing. I requested them to help me with some salads and bread at least, they didnt oblige. I asked the waitress what will be there for breakfast next day. She said "I am not from breakfast department, so dont know"... what an attitude...!!!

But for that one experience with the waitress, all other staffs were reasonably polite. The entire hotel was clean in general. The breakfast was really good with lot of options (but the same every day).

It is very close to Sandvika railway station (almost walking distance). Many companies are near-by. That is one advantage.

Many have already talked about the trouble due to noisy express way near by. I dont want to add. But the exhaust fan in the bathroom sounded like "running turbine" through out. No toiletries at all in the bathroom.

In nutshell, it is just an "ok" hotel with not many options for us to choose from.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Lars P, Lars Pettersen, Rooms Division Manager at Thon Hotel Oslofjord, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
DearAnathe P,

Thank you for your feedback to help us improve. We offer vegetarian food on request.

Manchester
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I arrived at about 6pm after travelling from the UK. There was a big queue at reception with only one girl checking people in. I saw some rooms were facing into a big atrium which I have experienced before and found to be claustrophobic, so I asked for an outside facing room. I got to the room and found that it was on the same level as the flyover of the E18 motorway. Normally I would ask to change but there were at least 15 people behind me in the queue and I did not have the stamina to queue up all over again (why are the staff not multi-skilled so that 3 or 4 could have jumped onto the check-in desk and checked everyone in quickly???), and also I was eating out with customers who were picking me up at about 7pm, so was concerned about time. I hoped the noise would be OK once rush-hour had died down. I woke at 3am due to the noise and slept fitfully until at 5am, then there was no chance of sleep as the noise was constant. What I was most annoyed about was that the girl on reception should have just said "no problem sir, you can have an outside facing room, but they are very noisy as they are right next to the motorway" - to which I would have replied "OK, I'll take the atrium facing rooms". But she said nothing. Apart from that, the room is fine and the breakfast is very good. However, I would be extremely wary of booking this hotel again due to the risk of being put in a motorway facing room.

Room Tip: Demand a room as far away from the E18 motorway as possible (if you are planning to sleep).
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Lars P, Lars Pettersen, Rooms Division Manager at Thon Hotel Oslofjord, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear Sir,

If you want an outside quiet room please make the request when you make the reservation.
We are located next to the E-18 highway, so if you don't want room next to the highway or a room with atrium view we need a request before check-in.

We always have 2 or 3 receptionists on duty, and we will try harder to give a better check-in service.

We all hope to see you back in our hotel.

Travellers are raving about these Sandvika hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandvika
Scandic Fornebu
#2 of 3 in Asker
Scandic Asker
Scandic Asker
#3 of 3 in Asker

Been to Thon Hotel Oslofjord? Share your experiences!