“Could of been amazing but lacked a few important bits!”

Anantara Vilamoura Algarve Resort
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
Reviewed 15 May 2014

The hotel is unarguably lovely, it was just certain things that let it down and certain aspects that annoyed us.

Upon arrival we were certainly not welcomed with a drink like other people have stated in their reviews. We had begun our travels at 3am after only two hours sleep due to work commitments and travelling, I instantly highlighted how tired I was to the two on reception as they took our names.

We were told that they did not have 'A' booking for us (disaster) but they had two in our name so I thought great, we have no problem! Half an hour later, instead of taking us to one of our two rooms, the gentleman receptionist was still trying to figure out how this could of happened? By this time I was getting fed up and falling asleep, it wasn't my problem, I just wanted to get my head down. I walked to the bar to get myself a G&T whilst he trawled through their incredibly slow system to decipher the problem.

After 45 minutes, I had finished my incredibly expensive Gordons and still had no room. I was then asked if we had booked it on one site and then found it cheaper on another and booked it again, this I found very offensive as if I would be going to a 5 Star hotel and needing to save myself £20! In the end, we got a room at about 1pm, it was a 47 kilometre walk down a corridor, right on the end of the building and overlooking nothing whatsoever at the back of the hotel. There was some sort of crèche that was incredibly loud, the furniture above was moved every few minutes for 4 hours on the lovely marble floors and sleep was impossible!

We were asked to be moved which gratefully happened the next day, we were at the front now on the top floor overlooking the pool which was beautiful bar the weather and the tornado that ripped through the hotel and destroyed a very expensive on millionaires row behind our hotel a day later!

As it was a couple of weeks 'out of season' still we were informed that only one bar in the reception and the gourmet restaurant was open and nothing else. This was disappointing to say the least and restricted where we could go within the resort as the weather was so bad that we barely wanted to leave.

The pool was also a surprise, I have travelled extensively and stay in no less than a 4 star hotel for both business and pleasure. Never have I come across a 5 star hotel that the pool opens at 10am and closes at 7pm, the exact time frames that I wouldn't want to go for a dip, after breakfast and before dinner!

The food was nice in the gourmet restaurant but came with the price to match, the drinks were average 5 star prices, £6 for half a beer/cider and £13 for a Hendricks and Tonic. The bar staff were impeccable though, they made the effort to talk to you if sat alone, they knew what you were drinking and they were the highlight of my trip!

Vilamoura and the area in general was a complete dive in my opinion, 1990's hell hole full of tacky restaurants and a constant bombardment from staff in the restaurant to drag you in even though you tell them that you just walked out of the one next door with a full belly.

I told an Indian gent that I didn't want to eat in their restaurant as I am adverse to coriander and Indian food in general and as I walked away, he spat loudly in protest, I was far from rude, I just informed him that I didn't wish to eat there. All restaurants would plonk bread and olives on the table as if they were complimentary and then you would be presented with a £6 charge afterward for it, I hate that sort of thing and hate olives more!

I can safely say that I will never return to Portugal, it is a dump and over run with people from all nationalities trying to rip off tourists!

My advice would be to go to Puerto Banus if you want that sort of holiday but with a bit more class and sophistication, I once dated a Portugese girl and she was as nasty as the place itself!

Overall the staff were fantastic bar the guy on reception that day we checked in and the hotel is lovely, they just didn't quite get the important bits right and it left a sour taste!

Room Tip: Ask to overlook the pool!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank foodylover123
TivoliHotelsResorts, General Manager at Anantara Vilamoura Algarve Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Guest, I am very sorry that your experience at Tivoli Victoria fell short of your expectations.
I wish you the best. Mário Custódio - Tivoli Victoria General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,471)

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We were in the apartment section near the hotel area. We loved it, great for couples or a family. The location is great, it is near everything in Faro without being over run with tourists. The pool was big and the kids loved it and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Secure area with underground parking and each apartment has an alarm for extra piece of mind.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Teahan
TivoliHotelsResorts, General Manager at Anantara Vilamoura Algarve Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear Teahan, Thank you for sharing your experience at The Residences. We’re glad to know you enjoyed the apartments. It’s always good to know that our continuous improvement efforts are recognized.
The apartments are like your home and at the reception you may order a shopping list to order your goods without having to go to the supermarket and carry bags.
We look forward to welcome you back on your next stay in Vilamoura.
Mário Custódio - Tivoli Victoria General Manager & The Residences at Victoria Clube de Golfe

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Absolutely fantastic hotel. I read a lot of reviews about this hotel before choosing it and I can agree with all the wonderful reviews on this site.
The hotel is the perfect resort. I needed a relaxing break away and the hotel was the perfect spot. I can not fault anything. The staff are fantastic. Breakfast is incredible every morning with gorgeou views of the golf club. The pool is heavenly, you wont want to leave. The bar has a small selection of food, which seems expensive but is good value and delicious and well worth the cost. Same goes for the coctails.
The EMO restaurant is fantastic. It is going for a michelin star and i would expect to see it receive one in the near future. It seems expensive but it is worth every penny. Dont miss out on a trip to the restaurant if you are staying in the hotel.
The hotel is about 10 minute drive outside the town but there is a free shuttle bus and i found it great being away from the town. It was much more peaceful and relaxing.
Sign up as a GHA discovery member and you will get free wifi access which is in most parts of the hotel. I can not say enough good things about this hotel. It was also great value and I definitely got my moneys worth. I will be back.
Definitely recommend. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank meabhalicious

Dear Guest, thank you for sharing your experience at Tivoli Victoria. We’re glad to know you enjoyed staying with us. It's always good to know that our continuous improvement efforts are recognized. I thank you on behalf of all hotels’ staff.
The EMO gourmet restaurant has been recognized for its efforts to develop Portuguese cuisine with its 3rd consecutive Golden Fork award. However you may use the Pepper's steak house at Tivoli Marina for a rich meal.
We look forward to welcome you back on your next stay in Vilamoura, when you need to have a relaxing holiday or a weekend break.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Just back from a wonderful weekend break at the Tivoli Victoria. Just a 20 minute (40€) cab ride from Faro. From the check in process the staff could not be more professional or helpful. The rooms were large and luxurious with 5* touches like an evening turndown service. The pool was surrounded by comfortable single and double sun beds which were available any time of day with views over the beautifully kept golf course as well as the pool. Breakfast was fantastic with a wide range of options, all of which were beautifully prepared.

The 10 minute shuttle bus to the Marina was full and provided lots of choices of restaurants overlooking the expensive boats kept there. Alternatively a 10€ each way taxi trip will give more flexibility over times.

On the second evening we ate in the Emo restaurant at the hotel so that we could enjoy the sun into the evening. The food and service was excellent and you can see why it has such good reviews.

To think that 3 nights including flights cost less than a couple of nights in a semi decent hotel in England is amazing. We are already planning our return for what I suspect will become a regular feature.

All in all a brilliant hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RomfordBlue

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Hi

I recently returned from a 3 night stay at the Victoria hotel. It was my first time travelling alone for a holiday and just wanted to go somewhere nice that I could relax. I chose this hotel as I thought it would be safe (as a young female traveller) and thought the pictures looked amazing.

I had a lovely experience and it was just what I was looking for. Although loads of people complained about the wifi in previous reviews this was not a problem for me as why would you want to be constantly online or on your phone whilst relaxing in the room. I was happy to receive messages or check my emails once of twice a day in the lobby or at breakfast.

The website does not lie and the hotel is picture perfect. I had room 227 which was in the corner very private and quiet with a lovely golf course view. The free shuttle to the marina was useful and you can also hire bikes at the reception. Breakfast was perfect for me as I only ever had some fruits and rolls but there were loads of hot options available.

I had a massage in the spa which made my holiday and the entire spa area is sooo relaxing with an amazing views. the room service I feel was fairly priced. I had the steak on one night which came with chips, rice, salad and bread rolls! more than enough for one person and was really good! that was 24 euro. The lemon and vanilla cheesecake is also lovely and a must try if u r a cheese cake fan.

I could go on and on about my lovely little break but will round it up by saying...you get what you pay for and I will certainly be back!

1 last hint....check lastminute.com for a deal I got 3 nights bed and breakfast (double room single occupancy) with flights from London for £244....not bad at all for May in a 5 star hotel (I have worked in the travel/hotel industry for 6 years!) weather was also amazing! 26-31 degrees :-)

x

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank MsWorldExplorer

Dear "WorldExplorer", thank you for sharing your experience at Tivoli Victoria. We’re glad to know you enjoyed staying with us. It's always good to know that our continuous improvement efforts are recognized. I thank you on behalf of all hotels’ staff.
We looking forward to welcome you back on your next stay, when you need to have a break again at Vilamoura, Algarve.
Mário Custódio - Tivoli Victoria General Manager

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed for 3 nights beginning of May. The Tivoli is around 10 minutes drive inland from the coast and consequently is in wonderfully peaceful surroundings.
Its a large hotel with a LOT of amenities and beautiful views over the golf course towards Vilamoura. It took us a while to get our bearings but theres a great view round every corner.
We've stayed in a number of 5* hotels on the Algarve and the Tivoli definately ranks as the best in our opinion for all-round comfort, luxury, peace and quiet and fantastic staff. From reception to waiters/waitresses, pool staff and room staff, all were, without exception, friendly, helpful and seemed genuinely pleased to assist in whatever manner.
On a half board option, breakfasts had everything you could want, from freshly squeezed orange juice and fruit to a full English breakfast, and dinner in EMO restaurant was exceptional each night.
Rooms are large, light, airy, immaculately clean and very, very comfortable. Double bed was one of the most comfortable ive slept in. Integral bathroom with large bath and seperate rainhead shower. Large balcony with daybeds overlooking beautiful pool. Even the bedroom doors closed smoothly and silently-no banging doors late at night in this hotel !.
Weather whilst we were there was perfect, cloudless and 26 degrees every day, perfect for lazing by pool on huge sofa pool loungers.
Whilst we found the price of drinks at the bar exorbitant (24 euro for 2 gin and tonics), they are served with a smile and nuts and crisps :)
The one and only small complaint we could make is that the swimming pool water temperature was cold, great for a (very) quick dip but would have preferred it just a little warmer.
Would definately recommend the Tivoli and we would definately return.
Great location, exceptionally and relaxingly peaceful and superb staff. We are looking forward to going back.

Room Tip: Room 169 has a great view over the pool all the way down to the sea.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tommo44

We looking forward to welcome you back on your next stay and you may find a slightly warmer water during June till September.
Mário Custódio - Tivoli Victoria General Manager

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Have just returned from yet another stay at the Tivoli Victoria, this is the place if you want a relaxing holiday from arrival to departure all the staff are friendly and nothing is too much trouble to the excellent choice at the buffet breakfast. I stayed on a half board option and at this time of year ate in Emo restaurant for this and yet again the food was excellent and the menu changed each evening. It really is the place to stay if you want somewhere to relax by the pool on the most fantastic sunbeds, yes it is not close to the marina but there is a courtesy bus several times a day to take you down there if that is what you want, would recommend this hotel with hesitation, looking forward to my return visits this year

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sue R

Dear Sue, thank you for sharing your experience at Tivoli Victoria. We’re glad to know you enjoyed staying with us. It's always good to know that our continuous improvement efforts are recognized. I thank you on behalf of all hotels’ staff.
All the hotel and his environment are relaxing, starting with the room and ending at the Spa with a gorgeous view. We look forward to welcome you back on your next stay in Vilamoura., when you need to have a relaxing break.
Mário Custódio - General Manager of Tivoli Victoria

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamoura
Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa
EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel
EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel
#2 of 154 in Albufeira
Crowne Plaza Vilamoura - Algarve

Been to Anantara Vilamoura Algarve Resort? Share your experiences!