“Amazing hotel ”

Anantara Vilamoura Algarve Resort
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Vilamoura
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for five nights and we were very impressed with this hotel. The rooms are fabulous, great space with very comfy beds. The facilities at the hotel are great. There are two outdoor pools- one quite pool for the adults. There is a great spa at the hotel with an indoor pool for adults.
We has breakfast every morning at the hotel. It was unbelievable from champagne, various pastries and breads, hot food, omelettes, pancakes etc. we are at the emo restaurant and all I can say is Michelin star food. At the other restaurant in the hotel there are different buffets each night. Fabulous food there.
The hotel has tennis courts, volleyball area and bikes to hire.
The hotel is about a ten minute drive to vilamoura and there is a bus at the hotel that can bring you into the town at various times.
The internet is expensive at 15 euro for 24 hour access. If you join the hotels gha discovery loyalty club you can get free Internet throughout your stay and a free paper each morning.
This hotel is a real treat and a fabulous place to stay in vilamoura.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 127holiday
TivoliHotelsResorts, General Manager at Anantara Vilamoura Algarve Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Guest,
It is great to know that you were impressed with the Hotel and that you have so much enjoyed the facilities, décor and culinary experiences in particular the dinner at EMO which serves superb food with an amazing view over the golf courses, the Chef is very honored to know hat you consider the food worth of a Michelin star.
Comments like yours truly give us a true sense of achievement and I have shared with the Team who would like to thank you for you great review and kind words.
We look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.
Mário Custódio - Tivoli Victoria General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,499)

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Recently stayed for a week at this hotel and in general it is excellent.

The location of the hotel for us was fine - we were aware of its location beforehand, so it was not a problem as it appears to have been for some of the other reviewers. Google Maps doesn't often lie! The hotel offers a free shuttle bus from the roundabout outside the hotel to its sister hotel The Tivoli Marina in Vilamoura. This takes about 15-20 minutes depending on the traffic around the Marina area. The times (during July) of the shuttle are as follows...

Departing Tivoli Victoria... 10.00, 12.00, 15.45, 18.00, 19.30, 20.00 and 22.45.
Departing Tivoli Marina... 11.45, 15.30, 16.45, 18.30, 19.15, 19.45,22.30 and 23.15

This bus was often full when we stayed but they did have an overflow bus which arrived within 5 minutes of the first bus filling up - we did not see anyone getting left behind at any point so this service seems to work well.

Getting a taxi from the Tivoli Victoria to the Marina area takes less than 10 minutes and will cost €12. One thing to watch out for is getting a taxi back to the hotel from the Marina area in the evenings. There was always a very long line of people waiting for taxis as the taxis were very thin on the ground. The best thing to do if you want to get a taxi is to walk the short distance to the Tivoli Hotel in the Marina, tell them you are a guest at the Tivoli Victoria and you would like them to order a taxi for you.

Regarding the WiFi at the hotel - I totally agree that the €15 per day charge is total rip off. However... if you sign up to become a Global Hotel Alliance (GHA) member (which is free) at www.gha.com the WiFi in the hotel and pool area is totally free. Obviously this is a no brainer if you want WiFi. The WiFi reception can be a little patchy at times and could do with some improvement.

The standard of the rooms at the hotel is high as is the room cleanliness - as you would expect in a five star resort. The rooms have a slightly unusual layout. The bathroom/living area is open plan until two large sliding doors are pulled to separate both spaces. This did not cause any issue for us, but may be a little bit of a challenge for some as the sliding doors in our room were a little heavy and may be difficult for some people to push/pull.

There are three pool areas at the hotel. One of the areas is for young kids only, one is for adults over 16 only (this is generally well enforced by the pool attendants) and is separate from the main pool. The main pool is for anyone and everyone from families and friends. All of the areas have very comfortable sun beds and plenty of sun umbrellas and are really very nice indeed.

Regarding the hotel food - we only experienced the breakfast served on the ground floor and the food served from the pool side menu. The breakfast is buffet style meaning you can eat as much as you like from the excellent range available - it is pretty hard to fault the breakfast other than to say a week of breakfasts here means you will have to work pretty hard at the gym the following week! Basically, the breakfast menu has something for everyone and is excellent. The poolside menu is a very different story - it is very limited in terms of choice and is ridiculously expensive... €15 for a burger and chips, €3.50 for a 1.5 ltr bottle of water, €10 for a glass of "healthy fruit drink" etc etc. Nothing we had from this menu was anything special by any means. We could not help feeling that the hotel is missing a real trick here - the weather is hot hot hot!!... what about selling some cold diced water melon, rock melon, papaya fruit salad etc. like that offered at breakfast? - just a thought!! Ultimately, because the hotel is isolated - this is why food prices are high and value for money is poor at the hotel pool. There is a small shop at the front of the hotel selling sweets, sun cream, hats, souvenirs etc but it too is limited.

The staff at the hotel are generally pretty good. This is something that I expect to be the case in such an establishment and unless I have found the service to be exceptionally good or not meeting my expectations (which I once again admit are quite high!! - although I feel justified as I am after all paying for... as the Tivoli hotel describe it themselves..."more than a perfect stay, a truly luxurious holiday") I generally don't feel the need to comment. However... I did find the check in experience unnecessarily long - it took 20 minutes! Anyway, after the protracted check in was completed, I was informed that the room was not ready but would be in one hours time. I was more than happy with this as it was 10am (early flight) and check in is not generally permitted until 3pm, so naturally I was delighted at being facilitated. Coming back to reception an hour later at 11am I was greeted by Lousia who informed me later that she was one of the duty managers. My personal experience with this person was poor to say the least. To cut a long story short, she told me my room was not ready and that the person who checked me in was wrong to have told me that it would be ready in an hour and that all she could offer was directions to the complementary showering facilities in the hotel if I wanted to freshen up. She said she would do her best to see if she could speed up getting my room ready and contact me on my mobile phone if she was able to arrange this - On the surface I acknowledge that this appears perfectly reasonable. The problem I had with my personal experience with this person was the manner in which she went about dealing with me and her fellow staff member - in my opinion she was blunt, lacking in empathy and dismissive of her colleague which I thought was unprofessional.

In the end, after 20 minutes waiting around the reception "so I would not be forgotten" I was asked by the guy who originally checked me in if I had got my room sorted out? When I said I was waiting for Lousia to come back to me he said let me see if I can get it done for you! Sure enough, to his credit, he was able to get me a room without any "assistance" from Lousia!

I have written before about some poor check in or reception staff experiences I have had and it seems to be very much dependent on the staff member you happen to get checking you in or dealing with - some staff are great at welcoming guests to a hotel or dealing with customers and others are simply terrible at it! Why is this the case? Greeting or initially dealing with a hotel guest is one of the most important element of a hotel stay... why?... because it is a first impression and you don't always get a second chance to make a first impression! Some hotels really need to be more aware of who are the most appropriate staff members to be front of house or dealing with challenging issues. They must place more importance on the need for such staff to ensure professional standards and impeccable communication skills are always to the fore.

So, in conclusion, this is an excellent hotel in terms of the standard of accommodation - there are some issues, such as the ones I and others have outlined, however, if you are looking for one of the higher class hotels in Vilamoura, I would think this place would be hard to beat and I would absolutely recommend it to others.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Middleofthepack
TivoliHotelsResorts, General Manager at Anantara Vilamoura Algarve Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your detailed review of Tivoli Victoria in TripAdvisor and for your recommendation.
Its great to read that you had an overall splendid experience with us and that you enjoyed our facilities, in particular the comfort of our rooms and pool areas and delicious breakfast.
We really appreciate your comments and suggestions which were worth of our best attention for future improvements.
I regret that you were disappointed with some service inconsistencies, please accept my apologies for these situations.
Despite the above, I am happy to know that you have enjoyed a lovely week with us and really hope to have the opportunity and pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Have just returned from a one week stay at this hotel, this was our first visit to this hotel and needless to say it certainly won't be our last. The hotel is pure beautiful and the bedrooms are absolutely outstanding, beds are extremely comfy, our room
Was overlooking the adult pool as it not seems which is very relaxing as no kids under 16 are allowed at it. The breakfast was lovely, big choice for everyone and having the choice to sit inside or out was exceptional! The thing is the wifi in the room is very poor(especially if your paying for it!) thank you tivoli for an excellent holiday we are a young couple and now are customers for life.... The extra couple of hundred to pay for this hotel is definitely worth it as I am very very picky and I couldn't have faulted anything!!

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Rmcm12
TivoliHotelsResorts, General Manager at Anantara Vilamoura Algarve Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Guest,
I am truly delighted to hear that you had such a fabulous experience at Tivoli Victoria and that absolutely nothing fell short of your expectations.
It is extremely rewarding for us to know that you enjoyed such a superb stay and that you had become a regular Guest, We are already looking forward for your next visit.
Mário custódio - Tivoli Victoria General Manager.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Great apartments, very plush, no complaints at all there - 5 star
staff at the pool bars/restaurants excellent - bit expensive for the pool bar cocktails, but service excellent at both, staff remembered what you liked/wanted , very friendly and make a difference. Perhaps need to extend breakfast menu beyond 10.30 - 4 star
Location was ok, but having to worry continuously about whether there would be room on the bus was painful. Worth not going to the marina every night and using the Hotel €35 buffet restaurant including drinks - this was excellent value. Kids under 11 are free, which was great.
There is a disco that goes on every night between 2am and 5am - very very loud music, cheering like a football match - once you wake up, thats it, your awake. Not good when kids wake up at this time, and for this reason alone I won't be returning. Sleep important when on a family holiday

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank michael w
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Tivoli (make sure you know this one is 10-15 minutes in a cab from Vilamoura) is a new and still slightly clinical hotel. Rooms are good with decent balconies with furniture. Beds comfy and breakfast first rate. Normal rip off for Wi Fi (works when it wants to and €15 per device per day is irritating). Staff all pleasant and pool / sun lounger space works well. Excellent cocktail bar too. Worth a visit if you want to play golf at Victoria and aren't too bothered about the marina.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank HubertAudifred

Dear Andy,
Thank you so much for your review of our Hotel in Tripadvisor.
It makes me very happy to read that you enjoyed our luxurious rooms, comfortable beds and delicious breakfast and that you found our Team Members so friendly and pleasant.
Thank you for your honest opinion regarding our location and wifi service I would just like to mention that if you sign up to our free loyalty programme - GHA Discovery- you will have free WIFI internet as well as other benefits such as a free bottle of mineral water in your room on arrival and a free daily newspaper of your choice during your stay. Sign up on your next visit and you'll also have access to a unique portfolio of local experiences.
We hope to have the pleasure of your visit again at Tivoli Victoria

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stayed for 6 nights and now have restored faith in European 5 Star resorts.....
The hotel is superb throughout - modern, clean and fabulous....
Staff are so attentive and the room is really nice - ask for a pool view though....
The only downside is it is a little way out of town but with that comes total peace and tranquility....
Breakfast it truly superb - lots of choice for all....
Highly recomended for sure...
Join the holiday club and the wifi in the room is free too....
An adults only pool is available if you want some total peace - the sunloungers are really comfy and pool service is first class...

Room Tip: You need a pool view or golf view...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Wokkoone
TivoliHotelsResorts, General Manager at Anantara Vilamoura Algarve Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Wokkoone,
Thank you for your lovely comments about our Hotel in TripAdvisor.
We are delighted to read that you have found the services that our Team provided you to be first class and enjoyed a flawless experience at Tivoli Victoria.
It´s great to know that you so much appreciated the comfort and luxury of our facilities as well as the overall beauty of the Hotel and its surroundings.
Once again we thank you for your feedback and recommendation, we really hope to welcome you back in a near future.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and didn't want to come home! We had no complaints at all, everything was perfect.
We especially loved the adult only pool, which was wonderfully relaxing with waiters coming round to take any food/drinks orders. The service was outstanding and staff couldn't do enough for us.
The breakfast buffet was absolutely phenomenal. As soon as we were seated, staff approached us to offer tea/coffee. The food was always fresh with a huge selection including pancakes and wide variety of fresh fruit, and even champagne! As one of us is vegetarian, we were spoilt for choice.
The free shuttle to Vilamoura Marina was 15 mins and we were provided with a timetable. It was perfect and only a 15 minute journey and a lovely touch for the hotel to offer. We had no problems with the times that were offered and it suited us very well.
The Marina was fab with lots of fantastic restaurants and shops as well as a variety of activities to do such as a Dolphin Safari which we went on where we saw 100+ dolphins on a speedboat. Only 35 euros, and well worth it.
Our room was very luxurious (deluxe Queen) with plenty of space, balcony, huge bed, shower and bath. The view from our room was lovely and very relaxing! As a guest at the hotel, we had free access to the spa facilities which is definitely worth going to. Beautiful pool with steam rooms and a terrific view overlooking the golf course.
This was our first holiday as a couple, and was absolutely perfect. We would recommend to couples wanting a luxurious, relaxing getaway as well as families. We will definitely be back, as we couldn't find a single fault! Obrigado Tivoli!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Rachel,
Thank you so much for your great review of Tivoli Victoria in TripAdvisor.
I am extremely pleased to read to you have found our property to be unique and amazing and that we were able to provide you both, on your first holiday together, such a flawless and memorable experience.
It´s great to know that you enjoyed our comfortable and luxurious facilities as well as the gorgeous surroundings of this peaceful place in particular highlight to the Spa and Team members attentive services. Rest assured that I will pass on your feedback to them.
Once again thank you for your outstanding review and we are already looking forward for your next visit.
Mário Custódio - Tivoli Victoria General Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamoura
Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa
EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel
EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel
#2 of 152 in Albufeira
Vila Vita Parc Resort & Spa

Been to Anantara Vilamoura Algarve Resort? Share your experiences!