“What amazing service”

Anantara Vilamoura Algarve Resort
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Vilamoura
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We have just returned form a 10 day break in the Victoria and from the moment we arrived met by the most helpful concierge to the moment we checked out at 5am the service was excellent
The hotel is so relaxing classy modern idyllic
The free transport to the marina fantastic everything was perfect
Champagne for breakfast, an amazing roof top spa, the most comfortable sun beds ever and kabans if you want shade and the rooms are superb
I would like to mention all the staff but one in particular Joao Rodrigues was amazing
Attentive but not over powering he was the best barman I have ever been served by
Please go to this hotel you will love it

Room Tip: Join GHA and get free wifi water in your room and a newspaper
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Annieho1
TivoliHotelsResorts, General Manager at Anantara Vilamoura Algarve Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Annie,
Thank you so much for sharing a great review of your recent experience at Tivoli Victoria.
We are thrilled to hear that you have enjoyed an unbeatable experience with us mainly through the professionalism and attentiveness of our team, in particular João Rodrigues, who really thank you for the fantastic comments.
I´m glad to know that you had a relaxing time and foud the Hotel to be classy and modern.
We are looking forward to welcome you back for another amazing experience.
Mário Custódio - Tivoli Victoria General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,499)

Reviewed 14 August 2014

The hotel was very luxurious, the room was comfortable with modern furnishings. The walk-in wardrobe provided plenty of space with a free safe. We had a baby with us and the cot they provided us with was a lovely wooden cot with a matching bed set (as nice as she has at home!). Breakfast had everything you could want, although it got very busy around 9.30. The staff were friendly and helpful particularly 'Claudious' not sure on the spelling, we had one meal from the pool bar and although it was nice we thought it was overpriced. The pools were gorgeous and the sun beds were so comfy, pool towels were provided, the adults only pool was handy if you wanted to swim a few laps. The free coach to Vilamoura was well run and was defiantly needed as there was little around the hotel and took around 15mins. There was free wifi in the lobby but I felt this should be extended to the pool areas and bedrooms.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank becsmile
TivoliHotelsResorts, General Manager at Anantara Vilamoura Algarve Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Guest,
We are extremely pleased to hear that you have recently enjoyed a great experience at Tivoli Victoria, and that you found the rooms comfortable and luxurious and spent such relaxed moments by the Pool.
It´s great to know that our Team made you felt well taken care, in particular Claudio who is thankful for your comments.
I would just like to mention that if you sign up to our free loyalty programme - GHA Discovery- you will have free WIFI internet as well as other benefits such as a free bottle of mineral water in your room on arrival and a free daily newspaper of your choice during your stay.
Once again thank you for your outstanding review and we look forward for your next visit in a near future.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I honestly couldn't fault this hotel! From the large rooms and very comfy beds to the lovely pool area catering for families and adults wanting peace and quiet and VERY comfortable sun loungers!!! The breakfast was excellent and Emo is a must for dinner, definitely Michelin food.
The service was also amazing and the staff were very attentive. The only drawback was the cost of the internet and even when used in the lobby it was pretty useless. The location isn't great but the shuttle service they provide was great and always on time. Considering we were there in August we had no problems getting on the shuttles and didn't have to queue for too long. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Hayz1

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Tivoli Victoria.
We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed a very relaxing experience with us and truly appreciated the facilities and culinary experiences, as well as the friendliness of our Team who are really grateful for your kind words.
Once again thank you for your positive comments and recommendation we really hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for five nights and we were very impressed with this hotel. The rooms are fabulous, great space with very comfy beds. The facilities at the hotel are great. There are two outdoor pools- one quite pool for the adults. There is a great spa at the hotel with an indoor pool for adults.
We has breakfast every morning at the hotel. It was unbelievable from champagne, various pastries and breads, hot food, omelettes, pancakes etc. we are at the emo restaurant and all I can say is Michelin star food. At the other restaurant in the hotel there are different buffets each night. Fabulous food there.
The hotel has tennis courts, volleyball area and bikes to hire.
The hotel is about a ten minute drive to vilamoura and there is a bus at the hotel that can bring you into the town at various times.
The internet is expensive at 15 euro for 24 hour access. If you join the hotels gha discovery loyalty club you can get free Internet throughout your stay and a free paper each morning.
This hotel is a real treat and a fabulous place to stay in vilamoura.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 127holiday

Dear Guest,
It is great to know that you were impressed with the Hotel and that you have so much enjoyed the facilities, décor and culinary experiences in particular the dinner at EMO which serves superb food with an amazing view over the golf courses, the Chef is very honored to know hat you consider the food worth of a Michelin star.
Comments like yours truly give us a true sense of achievement and I have shared with the Team who would like to thank you for you great review and kind words.
We look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.
Mário Custódio - Tivoli Victoria General Manager

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Recently stayed for a week at this hotel and in general it is excellent.

The location of the hotel for us was fine - we were aware of its location beforehand, so it was not a problem as it appears to have been for some of the other reviewers. Google Maps doesn't often lie! The hotel offers a free shuttle bus from the roundabout outside the hotel to its sister hotel The Tivoli Marina in Vilamoura. This takes about 15-20 minutes depending on the traffic around the Marina area. The times (during July) of the shuttle are as follows...

Departing Tivoli Victoria... 10.00, 12.00, 15.45, 18.00, 19.30, 20.00 and 22.45.
Departing Tivoli Marina... 11.45, 15.30, 16.45, 18.30, 19.15, 19.45,22.30 and 23.15

This bus was often full when we stayed but they did have an overflow bus which arrived within 5 minutes of the first bus filling up - we did not see anyone getting left behind at any point so this service seems to work well.

Getting a taxi from the Tivoli Victoria to the Marina area takes less than 10 minutes and will cost €12. One thing to watch out for is getting a taxi back to the hotel from the Marina area in the evenings. There was always a very long line of people waiting for taxis as the taxis were very thin on the ground. The best thing to do if you want to get a taxi is to walk the short distance to the Tivoli Hotel in the Marina, tell them you are a guest at the Tivoli Victoria and you would like them to order a taxi for you.

Regarding the WiFi at the hotel - I totally agree that the €15 per day charge is total rip off. However... if you sign up to become a Global Hotel Alliance (GHA) member (which is free) at www.gha.com the WiFi in the hotel and pool area is totally free. Obviously this is a no brainer if you want WiFi. The WiFi reception can be a little patchy at times and could do with some improvement.

The standard of the rooms at the hotel is high as is the room cleanliness - as you would expect in a five star resort. The rooms have a slightly unusual layout. The bathroom/living area is open plan until two large sliding doors are pulled to separate both spaces. This did not cause any issue for us, but may be a little bit of a challenge for some as the sliding doors in our room were a little heavy and may be difficult for some people to push/pull.

There are three pool areas at the hotel. One of the areas is for young kids only, one is for adults over 16 only (this is generally well enforced by the pool attendants) and is separate from the main pool. The main pool is for anyone and everyone from families and friends. All of the areas have very comfortable sun beds and plenty of sun umbrellas and are really very nice indeed.

Regarding the hotel food - we only experienced the breakfast served on the ground floor and the food served from the pool side menu. The breakfast is buffet style meaning you can eat as much as you like from the excellent range available - it is pretty hard to fault the breakfast other than to say a week of breakfasts here means you will have to work pretty hard at the gym the following week! Basically, the breakfast menu has something for everyone and is excellent. The poolside menu is a very different story - it is very limited in terms of choice and is ridiculously expensive... €15 for a burger and chips, €3.50 for a 1.5 ltr bottle of water, €10 for a glass of "healthy fruit drink" etc etc. Nothing we had from this menu was anything special by any means. We could not help feeling that the hotel is missing a real trick here - the weather is hot hot hot!!... what about selling some cold diced water melon, rock melon, papaya fruit salad etc. like that offered at breakfast? - just a thought!! Ultimately, because the hotel is isolated - this is why food prices are high and value for money is poor at the hotel pool. There is a small shop at the front of the hotel selling sweets, sun cream, hats, souvenirs etc but it too is limited.

The staff at the hotel are generally pretty good. This is something that I expect to be the case in such an establishment and unless I have found the service to be exceptionally good or not meeting my expectations (which I once again admit are quite high!! - although I feel justified as I am after all paying for... as the Tivoli hotel describe it themselves..."more than a perfect stay, a truly luxurious holiday") I generally don't feel the need to comment. However... I did find the check in experience unnecessarily long - it took 20 minutes! Anyway, after the protracted check in was completed, I was informed that the room was not ready but would be in one hours time. I was more than happy with this as it was 10am (early flight) and check in is not generally permitted until 3pm, so naturally I was delighted at being facilitated. Coming back to reception an hour later at 11am I was greeted by Lousia who informed me later that she was one of the duty managers. My personal experience with this person was poor to say the least. To cut a long story short, she told me my room was not ready and that the person who checked me in was wrong to have told me that it would be ready in an hour and that all she could offer was directions to the complementary showering facilities in the hotel if I wanted to freshen up. She said she would do her best to see if she could speed up getting my room ready and contact me on my mobile phone if she was able to arrange this - On the surface I acknowledge that this appears perfectly reasonable. The problem I had with my personal experience with this person was the manner in which she went about dealing with me and her fellow staff member - in my opinion she was blunt, lacking in empathy and dismissive of her colleague which I thought was unprofessional.

In the end, after 20 minutes waiting around the reception "so I would not be forgotten" I was asked by the guy who originally checked me in if I had got my room sorted out? When I said I was waiting for Lousia to come back to me he said let me see if I can get it done for you! Sure enough, to his credit, he was able to get me a room without any "assistance" from Lousia!

I have written before about some poor check in or reception staff experiences I have had and it seems to be very much dependent on the staff member you happen to get checking you in or dealing with - some staff are great at welcoming guests to a hotel or dealing with customers and others are simply terrible at it! Why is this the case? Greeting or initially dealing with a hotel guest is one of the most important element of a hotel stay... why?... because it is a first impression and you don't always get a second chance to make a first impression! Some hotels really need to be more aware of who are the most appropriate staff members to be front of house or dealing with challenging issues. They must place more importance on the need for such staff to ensure professional standards and impeccable communication skills are always to the fore.

So, in conclusion, this is an excellent hotel in terms of the standard of accommodation - there are some issues, such as the ones I and others have outlined, however, if you are looking for one of the higher class hotels in Vilamoura, I would think this place would be hard to beat and I would absolutely recommend it to others.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Middleofthepack

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your detailed review of Tivoli Victoria in TripAdvisor and for your recommendation.
Its great to read that you had an overall splendid experience with us and that you enjoyed our facilities, in particular the comfort of our rooms and pool areas and delicious breakfast.
We really appreciate your comments and suggestions which were worth of our best attention for future improvements.
I regret that you were disappointed with some service inconsistencies, please accept my apologies for these situations.
Despite the above, I am happy to know that you have enjoyed a lovely week with us and really hope to have the opportunity and pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Have just returned from a one week stay at this hotel, this was our first visit to this hotel and needless to say it certainly won't be our last. The hotel is pure beautiful and the bedrooms are absolutely outstanding, beds are extremely comfy, our room
Was overlooking the adult pool as it not seems which is very relaxing as no kids under 16 are allowed at it. The breakfast was lovely, big choice for everyone and having the choice to sit inside or out was exceptional! The thing is the wifi in the room is very poor(especially if your paying for it!) thank you tivoli for an excellent holiday we are a young couple and now are customers for life.... The extra couple of hundred to pay for this hotel is definitely worth it as I am very very picky and I couldn't have faulted anything!!

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Rmcm12
TivoliHotelsResorts, General Manager at Anantara Vilamoura Algarve Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Guest,
I am truly delighted to hear that you had such a fabulous experience at Tivoli Victoria and that absolutely nothing fell short of your expectations.
It is extremely rewarding for us to know that you enjoyed such a superb stay and that you had become a regular Guest, We are already looking forward for your next visit.
Mário custódio - Tivoli Victoria General Manager.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Great apartments, very plush, no complaints at all there - 5 star
staff at the pool bars/restaurants excellent - bit expensive for the pool bar cocktails, but service excellent at both, staff remembered what you liked/wanted , very friendly and make a difference. Perhaps need to extend breakfast menu beyond 10.30 - 4 star
Location was ok, but having to worry continuously about whether there would be room on the bus was painful. Worth not going to the marina every night and using the Hotel €35 buffet restaurant including drinks - this was excellent value. Kids under 11 are free, which was great.
There is a disco that goes on every night between 2am and 5am - very very loud music, cheering like a football match - once you wake up, thats it, your awake. Not good when kids wake up at this time, and for this reason alone I won't be returning. Sleep important when on a family holiday

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank michael w
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamoura
Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa
EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel
EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel
#2 of 152 in Albufeira
Vila Vita Parc Resort & Spa

Been to Anantara Vilamoura Algarve Resort? Share your experiences!