“Good value in an excellent situation”

Crowne Plaza Vilamoura - Algarve
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
London, United Kingdom
“Good value in an excellent situation”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We rather liked the look of this in the Saga brochure and were not disappointed. It is a hotel used by Saga but does not belong to the company. We arrived at the time of the carnival so the hotel was busy but became quieter after Shrove Tuesday. The hotel is right on the beach front and walking in both directions is a delight. The staff were efficient and friendly, although sometimes they looked hard-pressed in the restaurant. We knew about the coffee arrangements in the rooms so brought our own. Our room was large with a good view of the sea and the sunset. It was spotless and our bathroom was luxurious. We were there for seven days in February and able to go on various excursions which gave us the opportunity to see more of Portugal. If you play golf this is one of many hotels chosen by golfers. The food was fine. Breakfast was always good. I suggest that having a hot water urn may help with those wanting tea as you needed to have a flask of hot water brought to your table otherwise. Lunch and dinner were perfectly acceptable. We did not notice that the food was not hot and, after all, not every country goes in for hot food. It did not bother us that salads and deserts were open. That is a feature in some very up-market UK hotels too. We were warned that the outdoor pool would be cold and nobody used it, although I can see that it would be fantastic in the summer, but the sunken area in which it lies is a great sun-trap. The indoor pool is wonderful and the jacuzzi one of the best, as is the steam room. I had a massage in the spa while I was there too. As a Saga guest we did use the exercise machines regularly and they were never heavily used. Saga's availability and pricing fits in with the job I do and I am very active (described by one guest as a mere kitten) but this is a good hotel for the less active to escape the winter and a walk down to the marina will provide a variety of places to sit, drink and watch the world go by. We were sorry our stay was so brief.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank janmezzo
MP_CP_Vilamoura, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Vilamoura - Algarve, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review about the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura.
We are very pleased that your stay encounters your expectations. Your comments will certainly help to improve our team motivation to keep the good work.
We would be very pleased to welcome you again at the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura soon.
Kindest Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Polish first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We have stayed at this hotel only for one night and we were very sad to leave. Atmosphere of the hotel was excellent, room was huge and very very made up for couples. Loved that glass wall at the shower. How can you complain for a ocean view when taking a shower.
To be fair do not have any bad points to cover...
oh, by the way, i have to mention that Huge king size bed was so comfortable.... i think we do not sleep so comfortably at home as we did in this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view. I don't know if you need to pay extra for that but i believe price is worth...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ciotka_Lt
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your enthusiastic comment.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura, and do look forward to welcome you back.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Nice hotel, very close to the beach. Nowhere does it state that it is a SAGA hotel!! This wasn't too bad as they were quiet and never went to the gym or pool!!

The food wasnt as bad as people say on here but it was never really hot enough.

The pool outside was way too cold and totally unuseable during Feb and March. When I complained about this they basically just said tough luck and I could use the pool in the spa attached - which you have to pay for. This was very disappointing.

Spa there was amazing, very luxurious. There was a deal on at the time otherwise the treatments are quite pricey.

On numerous occassions the staff were either super unhelpful or didn't know what on earth they were on about. They told us to get taxis to other towns when a bus went there from outside, and was much much cheaper.

The actual room was fabulous, the bathroom was my favourite ever. Bed was huge and comfy.

The hotel was pretty plush if you didn't look too close but suited us fine. Free computer access in the lobby which was a big draw.

Overall we had a nice time there, but upset with the staff. Nowhere near 5 star customer service, I've had better customer service in 2 star. They could not have been less interested.

We got super cheap deal so that is why value rated so highly.

Don't bother with Faro, and don't come here if you are a culture vulture, seriously this is chill out zone only.

Room Tip: Ask for room to see the sea from the balcony.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DrJoDaniels
MP_CP_Vilamoura, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Vilamoura - Algarve, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Guest,
First of all thank you for taking your time and post your review about your experience at the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura.
I'm happy to hear that our hotel facilities encountered your expectations but It’s with regret that I read you review and recognize that you did not receive the service and standard expected and I would like to apologize for this lack of customer care.
We hope to have the chance to receive your visit again at Crowne Plaza Vilamoura.
Kind Regards,
Newmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My husband and I stayed for 7 nights, half board (18/3/2012 - 25/3/2012), on arrival we were checked in with the minium of fuss and were shown to our room, we were offered an upgrade to a seaview suite at a price which we turned down and in fact when we got to our room although we were on the side of the hotel (Room 204) we had a good seaview anyway. It was a lovely big room very clean and well appointed, large shower in a very nice marble clad bathroom with seperate toilet inside the bathroom with its own door. Bathrobes provided. As stated in previous review it could do with a kettle in the room, not every one likes coffee although it didn`t affect us as we always take a travel kettle. Fridge and safe in room at no extra cost. Pool andpool area was very clean, we didn`t use it as it was to cold. The food was not 5*, the breakfast , we thought, was better than dinner, cereals, pastries, meats, cheeses, eggs (boiled, fried,scrambled), fresh fruit, breads but everything was only luke warm even when it was being replenished. For dinner there was not much selection for the main course and I tended to just have salads, there was a good selection of desserts. It lacks a grill station where you can have a chioce of meat and fish and have it freshly cooked in front of you, at breakfast it nice to be able to have freshly made pancakes or waffles. The restaurant at dinner was very understaffed, the staff were always very helpful and worked very hard, some people were clearing their own plates away, I think staffing levels need to be looked at. My husband played 3 rounds of golf and Maria at the front desk was always very helpful in arranging the golf and the transport for him, nothing was too much trouble. All the staff were very helpful. At the end of the day for what we paid it was very good value for money.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank marilyn1512
Dear Marilyn,
We would like to thank for taking your time and post your kind review regarding your stay with us.
Our guest’s experiences are our major concern and your comments will most certainly help in motivate our team.
We would be very pleased to welcome you again at the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura.
Best Regards,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed here for a week in March 2012. Good points:
The hotel itself is marvellous; very well appointed, clean and comfortable.
Fantastic bathrooms with shower stalls the size of a small room.
Convenient modern ceiling fan in room - good if aircon is not really suitable.
Terrific main pool and good childrens' play equipment.
Best beds of any hotel I have stayed in worldwide.
Bad points:
To reinforce what others have said on this site - the hot food at dinner is not hot by any means and really lets the whole place and the Crowne Plaza brand down. Even bringing the problem with the food to the attention of the dining room staff did not merit any reaction from them never mind having them try to rectify the problem.
The other point about the food is the servery area - none of the cold food is in a chilled/cooled situation as everything sits out on marble displays with no covering or protection. This may be OK in March but I don't know what it would be like in the height of summer.
Another negative point is the staff who were a bit hit and miss in their attitude. When we checked in we were not even advised of dining times or where the dining room or any other facilities were situated in the hotel. Most staff seemed to be concentrating on the large Saga contingent in the hotel.
There is also little evidence of assistance on providing information on the local area; you have to specifically ask for, say, a bus timetable rather than have one offered if you just ask about buses.
The area around the pool is worrying as it is like a roughcast wall, but you walk on it - complete with the small stone being loose. It is the same aound the childrens' pool so not good for small sensitive feet and I image a lot of grazed knees and elbows due to trips/falls.
My recommendation would be to go on a B+B basis - the breakfasts are fine if you are not looking for hot fried eggs and bacon. Try some of the lovely restaurants in the nearby Marina area for lunch and/or dinner. Several have decked areas where you overlook the private yachts moored in the Marina and it's all very tranquil and realaxing.

Room Tip: You get a side sea view as standard so, unless you plan to spend a lot of time on the balcony, it...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Mary B
Dear Mary B,

We would like to thank you for the preference you showed on choosing the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura for your recent stay and for taking the time to post your opinion.

We do appreciate your constructive comments on our standards and service and please rest assured that your opinion will be shared with the Management team, in order to continuously improve the quality of our services.

May we have another change to welcome you at our hotel and show you the improvements done.

Odivelas, Portugal
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This hotel was great!
I stayed for three days for a business conference on the middays of March.
My room was on the fifth flour but I was in my friends rooms on the fourth and tenth flours and the view was great on everyone's room.
I loved the bed because it was super-confortable and there was a glass that let you see throught the shower to the room and to the toilet, so I could watch television as I took a bath! :D
What I needed was a map for the hotel's facilities. I had to look by myself where were the swimming pools and the bar. I would like to have a little map on my room to look at and think of what I could do with my free time.

Room Tip: Every room is good!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank carlapgg
Dear Carla,
We are very pleased that your stay encounters your expectations. Thank you for your suggestion regarding the 'map' for the hotel facilities.
We would be very pleased to welcome you again at the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura.
Leeds
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Recently stayed at the Crown Plaza Vilamoura for 4 nights. I understood this to be a 5 * hotel and whilst the hotel itself was very well appointed and the staff seemed very pleasant, I was expecting rather more. The bedrooms did not have a kettle, just a coffee making machine, which you had to purchase coffee for. If you wanted to boil up plain boiled water, this was not easy as the machine misbehaved and water poured out from underneath. I wanted some ice from room service and was advised I would have to pay for this. The bathroom did not have nay of the usual complimentary toiletries or shower cap. As I had only come away for a few days, I had not brought all toiletries with me as I had expected them to be provided in the bathroom. The shower gel provided in the dispenser was not of a high quality and indeed appeared to disagree with some people. The breakfast was satisfactory but not up to 5* standards received in other hotels. The choices of breads, fruits, cheeses and meats etc were limited as was the cooked breakfast. Overall - breakfast was disappointing

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank RiufanLeedswife
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review posted in Tripadvisor on the 26th of March 2012.
Your comments will be discussed internally and please do rest assured that they will help us improving and also provide better guest experience.
May we have another opportunity to welcome you at the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura.
Best Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamoura
Tivoli Marina Vilamoura
#9 of 36 in Vilamoura
Four Seasons Vilamoura
Four Seasons Vilamoura
#3 of 36 in Vilamoura

Been to Crowne Plaza Vilamoura - Algarve? Share your experiences!