“Fantastic Value”

Crowne Plaza Vilamoura - Algarve
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
“Fantastic Value”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Returned from this hotel last week having spent a week there with my husband and 2 year old. Some of the previous reviews had made me anxious that the hotel might disappoint but thankfully it actually exceeded my expectations. Regarding previous complaints, yes there is one (very comfy) chair on the fab balcony but bring out another one from the room. Yes theres no tea/coffee in the room but not everyone wants it and just ask! Yes very few hangers 8 I think but again just ask! As for coffee at breakfast you can ask the very pleasant staff for a lovely americano or cappuccino.
We thoroughly enjoyed our trip the pool area was fabulous, indoor spa amazing, room spotless and modern very comfy bed, breakfast excellent and location very good.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank anbry
MP_CP_Vilamoura, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Vilamoura - Algarve, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking your time and gives us such enthusiactic feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura.
It is really gratifying to receive our guest’s recognition.
I am really glad to read that your experience at the hotel exceed your expectations.
Looking forward to welcome you and your family back again at our hotel.
Kindest Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Polish first
Biddenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013

just back a few days from a so called 5star hotel.already paid for better room,when shown room it was like cheap motel room ,said we could upgrade to sea view which is much better.cost of 300 erous, no choice realy,food cold ,pay extra for use of indoor pool.did get a kind of kettle in room had to ask for cups and pay extra again for milk ,suger and 2 tea bags.most people went out to local bars in evening .smoking allowed in bar area.where children.waste of 10 days and money.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
4 Thank stephen b
Dear Stephen,
I am really disappointed to read that your holidays were a waste.
I would like to clarify the following:
This is the first time that our rooms are compared to ‘cheap motel room’ – which we don’t understand;
There are smoking and non smoking areas in the bar;
And the use of the spa facilities has a €10 daily fee per person to use the spa pool, jacuzzi, hammam and sauna.
We are aware that we still have a long way to achieve the highest standards and be certain that we will do everything we can in order to achieve those objectives.
Belfast
Reviewed 29 May 2013

After reading the reviews we were anxious about the hotel but got a great dinner, bed & breakfast deal at £85 per night for 2 people on TravelRepublic. We arrived early at 11.00am and our room wasn't ready so we went out for a coffee and returned to be given a great room on the 8th floor. The room was spotless and the bathroom was separated by a glass wall but we could pull down a blind for privacy.
Pros of this hotel:
Great location, 10 minute walk to marina along coast
Very friendly, helpful, hardworking staff
Great choice of food for evening dinner
Large pool with sunbeds and a grassy area with beanbags
Mini-fridge available in room for water
4 apple computers in lobby for customer use with free internet or free wifi in lobby
Reasonable prices for drinks in restaurant: 4 Euro for large bottle of sparking water, 3.50 Euro for glass of wine.
Not so good:
No bathroom toiletries except for handsoap/shampoo - luckily I brought some good toiletries as I had read the reviews
Asked barman for wine glasses for bedroom but were only allowed plastic cups!
I think this hotel suited us perfectly as we had a good price for dinner, bed & breakfast. The staff couldn't have been more helpful.

4 Thank JoBelfast1
Dear Guest,
It is very rewarding to receive our guests recognition.
Thank you so much for taking your time and write your review regarding your experience at the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura.
Looking forward to welcome you again at our hotel.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I stayed At Crowne Plaza for 5 nights and to be honest I really tried looking for the positives but a number of negatives kept popping up.

I don't think the hotel itself physically has a problem. It's quite clean and not bad at all. Nice looking outdoor pool, Big screen TV in one of the downstairs areas with couches, piano and Pool tables... So its led me to one conclusion...THE MANAGEMENT IS JUST POOR.

I agree with a number of the negative reviews that have been posted already. A lot of that is true. Drinks and food very expensive. that's not a major for me as you would expect a 5 star hotel to be so...but that's the point...it isn't really 5 star so the prices shouldn't be that pricey.

I booked a room with a sea view and when I arrived I was told I was given a slight upgrade which I thought was nice...only thing is I wasn't really sure if that was the case... The room was on the side of the hotel and yeah I could see the Ocean but just about - maybe if I bent over the edge of the balcony I would see the Water. When I looked at the hotel from the outside I noticed that there are actually more "Direct Ocean" facing rooms... so I'm thinking maybe that was what I had actually booked but they then messed up with an overbooking issue of some sort and decided to con me by telling me I would be given an upgrade.

and chaps...why put a fancy Nespresso Coffee machine in the room if there are no pods provided for it. You want me to get my own pods from the supermarket? also Get rid of the stupid soap dispensers on the walls.

Reviews about staff not being friendly I don't really agree with entirely. I think Portuguese people are quite friendly... HOWEVER... I can see why they would be slightly demotivated with the economy in such bad shape. One of the girls at breakfast served us in the morning and after we left and had a long day full of activities (going to Lagos, swimming, etc) returned to the hotel for dinner to find her still working at about 9pm. After speaking to her about it she told us that it's really bad in Portugal, and that they pay minimum wage (€485/month). So you can see why motivation and morale in general might not be at its best. not that that should be any excuse...If you're 5 star then Live up to the billing.

I didn't find breakfast too too bad BUT the coffee is terrible. I think they should really hire someone from France or Italy to come in and advise them on how to make a decent brew. Some people get very cranky when they don't have a good cup of coffee. Not something I would expect from a 5 star hotel. The food itself, standard bacon eggs, beans, cereals, fruits ...It was a large buffet setup but I agree with one of the comments on lack of an egg chef. Cmon guys...that is not 5 star service - get yourselves an egg chef.

Service at the pool bar was a little shaky as well. We ordered some drinks at the pool bar (which is quite pricey) 1 Mai Tai and 2 coronas. It took ages for them to come. At one point we realised that they were actually ready but had been sitting on the bar for some time. 20 minutes later the coronas arrive and are not cold.

There was also one incident involving some friends of mine that were also staying in the hotel at the same time that I think needs mentioning. They ordered some club sandwiches and a pizza... the sandwiches arrived with no issue, but the pizza just never came... even after numerous requests about where it was. 1 hour later, My friends start to get really fed up and go to the bar inside the hotel to ask what is going on and no apology is given, they just try to wing it and somehow manage to shuffle out what can only be described as the MOST BASIC PIZZA I have ever seen. they literally must have taken it out the freezer, popped in the microwave to defrost it and then maybe tried to put it in the oven really quickly to heat it up. turns out the pizza also had a specific type of cheese that my friends requested to be removed as they are don't eat that kind of cheese. It was promised it was possible when the order was made so Pizza completely wrong.

So, overall...the hotel itself is nice, but the people seem a bit dippey and not at all with it. they seem to be running around on circles sometimes. I don't think they could manage a p*ss up in a brewery to be honest. I'm not a fussy person, and the room thing itself didn't really faze me as I always just think of it as a place to put my head down and the bed was really comfortably.

But the point of this is that this hotel is NOT 5 STAR. so if you're booking expecting a true 5 star experience I think you will come up a little short...

3 Thank donleche
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking your time to gives your feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura.
All comments are taking very seriously and help us to improve our facilities and standards.
We hope to have another chance to welcome you at our hotel and show the improvements done.
Best Regards,
Limerick
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Hotel was great, lovely bar area, pool and the Big bean bags were unusual and comfortable. Room was a good size and comfortable. Front desk were very helpful too. Only real down side was the cost of the hotel and the food/drink in the hotel.

1 Thank LimerickJay
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your opinion regarding your experience at the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura.
May we have another opportunity to welcome you at our hotel.
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I am just back form the Algarve and have to say that the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Vilamoura lived up to all our expectations. The hotel itself is really modern and the very attractive bedroom really made our holiday. We paid extra to upgrade from a superior to deluxe room but as this overlooked the marina and had the sun on the very large balcony from the middle of the afternoon until sunset it was well worth it. The only downside of the hotel is the lack of sun loungers, one chair on the balcony of a twin room and the fact that the food served buffet style in the dining room is not really 5 star standard - especially in the evening when the hot food was very lukewarm! The staff were all very pleasant and very helpful, in particular the receptionist who had to telephone for a doctor to call on my mother who had developed a severe chest infection. All in all we would return here.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best views especially those overlooking the Marina - room 1004 to be recommen...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
I am happy to read that your experience at the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura exceed your expectations.
Thank you for your comments, we are conscious that there still room for improvements and be sure that we will keep on with the good work to achieve higher standards.
Looking forward to welcome you back again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2013

This hotel was really dissapointing. W arrived and were told straight away that we have an upgraded room which was odd as we hadnt asked for one but got given it as soon as we arrived. The room was awful ... the floors all scratched, 2 lights not working, not tea/coffe facilities, 2 big towels no spares, no soaps shampoo conditioner, the remote for the tv didnt work well and it was a twin when we asked for a double. The breakfast was awful.. not much choice... eggs and bacon was awful with hard bits in the bacon... what ever you do don't have coffee there its awaful and have white bits in it. The dinner was pretty standard and not that much choice. The staff are stupid and not helpful at all. I wanted to have a melon cut they said they needed to charge me 8euros just to cut the lemon. I asked for some glasses for the room and was told that they need to charge 7.50 euros. Total rip off. Total waste of money i should have just stayed in a lower star resort.

6 Thank ad1988dos
Dear Guest,
I am really sad to read such commentaries regarding our hotel, services and staff.
Would like to clarify the following: all products purchased in the hotel are accompanied by all that is necessary for its consumption free of charge. When the guests purchased goods outside the hotel and request for utensils or other material there is a fee for the room service.

Kindest Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamoura
Tivoli Marina Vilamoura
#10 of 36 in Vilamoura
Four Seasons Vilamoura
Four Seasons Vilamoura
#2 of 36 in Vilamoura

Been to Crowne Plaza Vilamoura - Algarve? Share your experiences!