“Good Hotel, Lovely food..one minor issue....”

Crowne Plaza Vilamoura - Algarve
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
welwyn garden city
“Good Hotel, Lovely food..one minor issue....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

We stayed at the crown Plaza 24th-31st August. My party consisted of 2 adults and one child.
We arrived aboput 8.15pm on a sunday evening. Check in was quick and the staff spoke good english, we were allocated our room on the 7th floor. Our bags were bought up by the staff and we went straight down to get some dinner.
The buffet was well set out and had a lot of variety for everyone. There were fish dishes, meat, pasta and lots fresh fruit and salad.Suffering with some food allergies I found there was something I could eat everytime. One recomendation is that they clearly label the food with a bit more detail as although there were signs telling you what the dish was, there was no allergy advice and when it came to desserts this was a issue. There was one night where most desserts contained nuts so I had to ask for some ice cream. Breakfast was equally good with a wide choice of cold meats, cheeses, cereals as well as the usual cooked bits like bacon, eggs omlettes etc.

The hotel itself was clean and tidy and the staff were mostly pleasant, polite and helpfull. Drinks are reasonable priced for this style hotel. We preferred to eat out a couple of nights during our stay and made the 10-15 minute walk to the marina. Food is beautiful and resturants plentiful.As its directly on the marina this can be expensive!!
On the nights we ventured out we swapped our half board evening meal for lunch which is a set menu. Although they are happy for you to do this, they will only allow you to do it twice in a 7 day stay period and they dont tell you that you have this option unless you ask.

The beach is a 2 minute walk from the back gate where you can have sunbeds at a cost of about 10 euros each or you can purchase a brolly from the shop and sit on your towels. The sea was very cold with lots of waves so was good fun but did have some seaweed which apparantly is not common but put me off abit.

Now the issue that bugs most visitors...sunbeds!!!
Yes theres is an issue but to be fair it can be easily sorted if the hotel dealt with it.
Being a early riser I was up early so went down between 7.45-8.00 most mornings and although there were towels on some beds there were still some free and considering its august I think its not too bad. The problem lies with a certian group of people, the portuguese. They place their towels on sunbeds at 7.30am and then go to breakfast...then the beach...come back at 1pm, sit around the pool for half hour and then go for lunch not returning untill gone 4!! They actaully had the nerve to complain to the pool staff when they arrived back from the beach and saw that someone had taken one of the beds that hadnt been used. Totally unjusdtified to complain. We actually congratulated the person who moved it as did about 20 other people!
We approached the pool attendants about this issue but they are reluctant to deal with it as they have suffered verbal abuse and the threat of physical abuse. This is not acceptable in a 5 star hotel complex, but because they dont get any mangement support they dont action the 2 hour rule.A member of my party actually spoke to the reception staff on check out about this issue and she commented that its all they they hear so makes you wonder why nothing gets done. Its bascially selfish and rude and should be stopped as soon as possible. Management need to step up with this and support the pool staff.

Other than this issue we didnt have anything to complain about regarding this hotel and our stay and I would safely say i would stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
MP_CP_Vilamoura, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Vilamoura - Algarve, responded to this review, 20 October 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking your time and gives us your feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura.
Our guests suggestions and opinions are taking very seriously and we are aware that there is still room for improvements. Please do rests assure that we will make every effort to constantly improve our services and standards.
Could we have another opportunity to welcome you and your family at the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura.
Kind Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (648)
  • Polish first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

Recently stayed here for 5 nights with my sister and can highly recommend the Crowne Plaza. The location is what makes this hotel stand out - next to the beach and the Marina.
Breakfast was excellent with lots of choice and the champagne was a welcome addition! Our room was enormous and the glass bathroom was fantastic. However, service in the bar area was poor and we quite often had to wait for ages to get a drink.
I had read all the horror stories about reserving sun beds at 6am. We put our towels down next to the pool at 8.30ish before going to breakfast and never had a problem! Yes all the beds around the pool were taken by 10am but this happens in every other popular hotel across the world!! You can't expect to arrive at the pool after 10am anywhere and get a bed!! There were lots of other beds available on the grass area as well. The only other suggestion I would give to improve the hotel is to sort the music out in the pool bar area. It was so depressing and sometimes the same song appeared to go on for hours!! Could we have some summer feel good songs?
Apart from this I would definitely recommend the hotel and will no doubt visit again soon.

2 Thank Judith F
MP_CP_Vilamoura, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Vilamoura - Algarve, responded to this review, 17 October 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your review posted on Tripadvisor.
We are pleased to know that your stay with us encountered your expectations apart from the issues mentioned that need some improvement. We do take our guests suggestions very seriously.
We at the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura are looking forward to welcome you back again.
Kind Regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Having visited Vilamoura over 15 times in the last 15 years and always stayed in the same hotel, I was anxious about changing to the Crowne Plaza.

Prior to our visit I was sure, after reading reviews on Trip Advisor, that I was going to struggle to find somewhere to sit around the pool/garden unless I got up at 6.30am, find it difficult to get a cup of coffee at breakfast (and not enjoy the food) and be dealt with by disinterested employees.

Well I can report that I had breakfast at 9am every morning, with coffee/tea served by very obliging staff and being spoilt for choice with so much food on offer. At 10am I easily found a 'fat boy' to sit on (and I have to say they are very comfortable).

The hotel is immaculate and the rooms are a real pleasure to stay in. Despite being opposite the Casino and a 'pop up' Super Bock event in the Casino grounds, we were never disturbed at night (the lack of sleep through noise at night, was what prompted our change of hotel in the first place).

A really lovely holiday, in a wonderful hotel - I am sure we will be back.

4 Thank A27dec
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you on behalf of all Crowne Plaza Vilamoura team for taking your time and gives us such enthusiastic review regarding your stay at our hotel.
Looking forward to welcome you back again at our hotel.
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

I returned from this hotel last week, having spent a week. Great service and location. This is the 3rd time I have stayed at this hotel, staff are great and I would recommend this as the best hotel if you want to be in walking distance to beach and bars ect. They have inproved the sun bed area and had more staff on hand for drinks ect this year.

I will return again to this hotel as I think its the best in the area

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 7th floor or above as they have great views, I would recommend a no marina vie...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Adam M
Dear Adam,
First would like to thank for your preference as you state this was your third time with us.
Our guests opinions and suggestions are very importante for us.
May we continue having your preference.
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Just returned from a week at the CP Vilamoura with my husband. Excellent receptionist on check-in. Had a partial sea view room with balcony which was lovely & spacious. The location is great, by the beach and a few minutes walk from the restaurants in the marina. The food quality was very good and a nice selection. However, there were a few areas which need improving:
- Service - in a word, awful. It's not that the staff aren't working hard, it's that they have no direction. Breakfast is chaos, not once did we get offered a drink, we had to chase down a staff member every time. In the bar we wondered how long we could sit before we were served, as it turns out, a full hour, despite numerous staff members walking past. No anticipation of customer needs, no initiative, and no pleasantries.
- Pool - Didn't get near it all week due to the amount of guests prepared to get up at 6am to "reserve" sun loungers with towels. The pool staff didn't make any effort to keep an eye on this and even admitted that quite often the sun beds were just abandoned but towels left behind. There are plenty of beds on the grass area but it would be nice if the staff made a bit more effort to make things fair.
All in all, the service really lets this hotel down, so despite it being a good location I wouldn't return until this was addressed. Some leadership is desperately required in F&B.

Room Tip: Partial sea view rooms are nice
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Better_than_home
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Vilamoura - Algarve, responded to this review, 11 September 2014
Dear Better_than_home,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bolton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Just arrived back today after spending 11 nights here. Rooms excellent and very clean and modern. Had a balcony with side sea view and a view of the outside eating area. All staff were very friendly and hardworking. Nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was great with lots of choice. Would definitely recommend!

Stayed August 2014
5 Thank cclamaar
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for such kind review regarding our hotel facilities, staff and services.
I am glad to read that we met your expectations.
Looking forward to welcome you again.
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

I returned from this hotel around a month ago- we stayed from the 17th - 24th July as a family group of 6.
We travelled with 3 people who had already visited Vilamoura but stayed in a different hotel, and we visited again this year to celebrate a 25th wedding anniversary.
The hotel itself is spotless. The rooms are beautiful, plenty of storage for clothes etc, very comfortable beds with thick mattresses, large flat screen tvs with multiple channels and an amazing glass bathroom. The balcony is also large with a big comfy chair.
The location is very good, only a few minutes walk from the marina and across the road from the beach.
Pool area is beautiful, slightly lacking in sunbeds but over crowding would spoil the effect of exclusivity the hotel work hard to maintain. We managed to get 6 sunbeds together every day bar one, and then there are lots of fat boys on the grass as a second option. I think it is obvious by first looks that you cannot walk to the pool at midday and expect to find a sunbed easily. I can see how this may disappoint some people, but there are other options.
The food in a morning is brilliant (my favourite were the freshly made omelettes, and the champagne of course!). The food at night was okay, however if I was to return I would definitely stay B&B as there are so many amazing options of restaurants around the marina that it seems a waste to eat in the hotel.
Staff were very helpful and polite at all times, they have immaculate uniforms and work very hard to ensure everything is of the highest standard.
Overall I would definitely return to this hotel, just on a B&B board basis.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Hatty C
Dear Hatty C,
Thank you so much for such kind review regarding our hotel, services and staff.
Looking forward to welcome you again at the Crowne Plaza Vilamoura.
Kindest Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamoura
Tivoli Marina Vilamoura
Dom Jose Beach Hotel
Dom Jose Beach Hotel
#7 of 49 in Quarteira
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,493 reviews

Been to Crowne Plaza Vilamoura - Algarve? Share your experiences!