“Excellent”

Dom Pedro Portobelo
Ranked #17 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Great hotel for the price. No problems at all. Clean, great staff and nice clientele. Room cleaned daily and fresh towels provided. Pool was nice and not too busy. Most of all great location - 5 minutes from the beach and 5 minutes from the marina. Would recommend to others and would go back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Hoteis_DomPedro_Alg, Manager at Dom Pedro Portobelo, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review, we really appreciated your comments.
We ware glad that you enjoyed your stay at Dom Pedro Portobelo, service and facilities corresponded to your expetations and we look forward to welcome you back soon for another enjoyable stay with us!

Resident Manager

Reviewed 4 July 2011

I've been in this hotel several times so I knew what to expect. I booked a studio for 8 nights and then upgraded to a T1 using my Club card points. The girl who check me in was very nice and helpful.
As usual, the apartment was very clean although it could use some refurbishment.
The swiming pool is great and is always tepid (about 28 ºC).
The breakfast is not bad but certainly is not worth the price difference and closes at 10 a. m. which is very early when you're on vacation at the beach.
A minor fault was the TV which went down at night for some time. This happened twice.
Nevertheless I enjoyed it so much that when I was checking out I decided to return a couple of days later and booked a studio for 4 nights.
I called the hotel before checking in to upgrade to a T1. However the manager (?) informed me that I needed 2000 points (500 points for each night).
I informed him that I had upgraded for 8 nights using just 500 points. He checked with somebody else and confirmed that I shouldn't have upgraded for 8 nights with 500 points only. Whatever... No problem. It was just a misunderstanding.
I checked in and stayed in a studio for 4 nights. This guy who checked me this time asked me to pay the double of the price that had been given earlier. Fortunately it was his mistake...
However, the studio is disappointing. The kitchenet is tiny although there is enough space to have a kitchenet just like the ones in the T1 apartments. Instead of cabinets there is an awful old table where the microwave is.
Furthermore, it was not as clean as the T1 (bed sheets had some stains) and there was a big dark stain in the bathtub.
It was the fourth time I stayed in Portobelo but it was the first time ever in a studio and could have been so much better!

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the pool
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Inês O
ManagerDP, Manager at Dom Pedro Portobelo, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review about your recent stay at Dom Pedro Portobelo.
We are glad to know that you always enjoyed your stay with us and we regret to know that unfortunately that did not happened your last stay.
In fact a one bedroom apartment is much more comfortable than a studio. However, your comments about bed sheets and bathtub surprised me, it seems there was a lack of attention to details, this shouldn’t have occurred and this is definitely not the kind of service we want to provide and usually provide as you know.

Thank you again for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Resident Manager

Reviewed 19 June 2011

Stayed here for a 4 night break with my husband. We had a 1 bedroomed appt- loads of room- could easily have slept 4 with the 2 sofabeds in the living area. Decor not great, very dated but everything was comfortable & clean. Great location, 5 mins from the beach, taxi rank outside the hotel, 5 mins from the marina, supermarket 2 mins away.
Well priced- decor would have been a let down but everything else was a plus.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
ManagerDPP, Manager at Dom Pedro Portobelo, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review. We are really glad that you have spent an enjoyable time at Dom Pedro Portobelo.

We regret that the furniture did not entirely correspond to your expectations and we will have your comment in consideration for the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Dom Pedro Portobelo.

Resident manager

Reviewed 22 March 2011

Me and 7 golf lads stayed here for a long weekend, we got a great rate of about 20 pounds a night for two sharing. The hotel itself is not a four star by far and you can tell this by the Decor in and out of the rooms and the breakfast is not the best. But the staff are friendly, helpful and looked after us well.
The hotel is cleaned to a high standard and the pool areas are spotless. We went to the bar after golf and ordered pizza with our beers which were fantastic and we left happy customers which you would expect from 8 lads who only paid 60 for the room each for three nights, so remember before booking don't pay four star prices get it cheap and you will be pleasantly surprised .

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 30 December 2010

these apartments are stuck in the '70's, dated,well worn furniture,lumpy pillows,uncomfortable bed, dark & dingy rooms. No facilities were available at the hotel no bar ,no resturant, or entertainment of any kind. we had to go to the Dom Pedro Golf over the road for breakfast . I dont know how this place can be rated 4 *.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2010

Not a 4 star hotel. old furniture. noisy. good view from the balcony. big room with fridge. bad breakfast with orange juice from the cheapest supermarket.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 October 2010

I have been to Vilamoura 3 time in the last year, this was my forth. I have stayed at the Hilton, Tivoli Vicoria and Crown Plaza, all excellent star hotels IMHO, and would stay in any of them again. However, when it came to group travel, economy was a factor. Not good with the previous three. We also wanted to be in the centre of the town. It was with some trepidation that I booked the DPP, as the reviews were so mixed. So here's my twopeneth.
1 - pro's - location is ideal for both marina and beach, minutes away and all the good eateries on your doorstep. I booked a studio for little old me, and got a one bedroomed apartment with a see view. Excellent service. Clean like you would not believe, all the rooms and public areas. Rooms are HUGE and generous balconies. Beds comfortable as were the sofa's to lounge on.
2- cons - and these are well outweighed by the pro's, the bathroom and rooms are a bit tired. You are not going to want to soak in the tub here. However, they were clean, and the shower HOT and STRONG. Breakfast, though lots of fruit and cereal, if you like your full english, you'll have to wander to the local cafes (worth it. if it is your thing.)
Overall, excellent value for money, excellent location if you want to be in the middle of things. I used the spa at the DP golf too - very, very good massage - highly recommended.
If you want 5 star luxury, you won't find it here, but then you are not paying for it. But if any of the previous reviews have put you off, consider your priorities. ticks boxes for clean and the views are excellent. Did not eat in the Pizzaria at the hotel, but in Vilamoura you are spoilt for choice on where to eat, so I would never pick a hotel on that. (Having said that the Victoria evening meals were out of this world.;)

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family