“Dom Pedro Portobelo - Good 3* NOT a 4*”

Dom Pedro Portobelo
Ranked #17 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We flew from Prestwick (Scotland) with Ryanair (28th Feb-3rd Mar).

My parents were already in Vilamoura so we decided to surprise them with a visit. We searched the net for the best deal and found Hotwire came up with a good price for the Dom Pedro Portobelo - where my parents were staying anyway - so all was good.

I emailed the hotel directly asking for a room next to them which was granted no probs. This was Feb & so out of season - so the Hotel was not busy anyway.

Taxi took around 25mins from Faro Airport. The Hotel entrance is a bit dull and over looks a car park which makes you think your at the back of the hotel - your not !

Inside is nice - the reception bright & obvious. There is a dining area which is nice and does breakfasts etc. My folks had a deal on breakfast and when we joined them on our first morning we thot about doing the same - but never did as the food was ok (sausage, beans, scrambled egg toast tea/coffee & cereals) but not great - we also got stung for 22 Euros for 2 adults and 1 child (10) which for what we ate was pretty steep.

The rooms however were good - clean, spacious, lots of room and all the things you need for a self-catering trip BUT the bed was solid, i mean solid !! sorted my back right out - but killed my wife's back ! The Sofa bed 's were more comfortable by far.

The view was overlooking the Vilamoura Casino & the beach - great views. The balcony patio furniture was plastic and old looking but handy never-the-less.

Eating out especially around the Marina was very expensive - 40 Euros for main course and soft drink for 3 however better deals could be found in the wee town - 5 mins from the hotel. They also have a fruit & fish market and on Thursdays they have a Gypsy market selling all sorts of tat - i'm everything from live canary's to chickens to Axe handles !

We did a bus trip to Lisbon - around 3hrs away, which cost 32 Euros and made the stay a lot better. Lots to see well worth it.

Overall Vilamoura is nice, clean location, ideal for the beach and cafes but expensive, the Hotel's lack of facilities is the reason i say 3 Star but a nice place to stay - and McDonalds is a 3min walk away !

They have a Water Park but its only open in the summer months - which I was told gets packed out everyday ! - also the woman that sells the bus trips also tries to sell timeshare !

Room Tip: We were on the 6th Floor (they have lifts) sea view - room 619 & 620 - the best as they get the...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Best place we've stayed in Vilamoura! Spacious, clean, lovely pool and very central! Much better than Dom Pedro Marina and cheaper, just less fancy!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Hoteis_DomPedro_Alg, Manager at Dom Pedro Portobelo, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2011

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your review, it is always gratifying to read a positive feedback.
We are very glad to learn that you have had an enjoyable stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back for another enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

From the moment we arrived the staff couldn't have been more friendly, or helpful.
The 1 bed apartment we had was spacious and well fitted out. With friends in the Algarve we are likely to visit again, and the Dom Pedro will cerainly be our base again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Denis S
Hoteis_DomPedro_Alg, Manager at Dom Pedro Portobelo, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2011

Dear guest,

We really appreciated your kind review. Thank you so much. We are very glad that you have spent such an enjoyable time at Dom Pedro Portobelo.
It is always gratifying to receive feedback, especially if it is so positive

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 25 September 2011

Well we have just come back from the Dom pedro portobello and I can only say how dissappointed we were. We are owners of two weeks here ( by defaukt it used to belong to my in-laws) and it was the first time we had visited. Well the room is old, the furniture is awful and beyond old it is just awful. There were televisions in there that were at least ten years old, have they not seen flat screens, the remote controls didn't work. All the doors have been scrapped and banged with scratch marks all over the. The kitchen is laughable and has a bar area, all I can say to this is why!! As owners we thought there would be at least a welcome pack, oh no there was nothing. We had to pay for the safe, for wi-fi and when we asked what we did get for being a owner we were told nothing. what is the point of owning here. The bathroom was awful with a old shower and awful towels. Horrible orange colour, have they not heard of white, and on two seperate occasions the towels were threadbare and had holes in them. There was a lot of wasted space and I would like to know exactly what our maintenance money is spent o every year because it certainly was not our room. When we complained the staff were just disinterested and the "customer resource" staff or as we called them the time share sellers were just plain rude and did not want to know us when we complained in fact one of them just turnrd her back on us and walked away, go Customer service. The lighting in the corridors was dreadful and made it very hard to see when trying to use keycard, again the awful wall colour doesn't help.
There were a couple of good things the pool is lovely if not a bit cold and we did have maid service everyday although we couldn't figure out exactly what they did. The patio furniture on the balcony is awful just plain white plastic table and chairs and the table was filthy, we had to go to the supermarket and buy some washing up liquid(not supplied) and clean the table ourself.
Luckily the weather has been good so didn't have to spend to much time in the apartment but we are discusted at the state of the place.
Come on Dom pedro you have the potential to have a lovely place

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank HHKS
Hoteis_DomPedro_Alg, Manager at Dom Pedro Portobelo, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2011

Dear Timeshare Owner,

With regard to your comments about your timeshare interest I would like to inform you that the Annual General Meeting for timeshare owners is held every year. I suggest you come to the meeting to clarify some issues and if intends to propose future investments.
Any decision made and approved by the attendees is deemed to be effective under the timeshare terms and conditions at Dom Pedro Portobelo.

Best regards

Reviewed 28 July 2011

Arrived - went to our studio and immediately went to reception to try to get my money back. This could not be done as we had booked through Otel. Was offered a room in the Dom Pedro Marina but the room there was tiny dark and old! Went back to Portobelo and spent most of the day on my mobile trying to get out of there. No joy. Asked if they would throw in breakfast. A day later was told no. Even a bottle of wine for three euro would have been a gesture but no.
My daughter left her othodontic brace behind when we left - I rang and asked if it could be posted - no. I arranged collection by courier - it arrived in an ordinary envelope and broken. I know I can't say how it was broken but to sum up how I felt about Dom Pedro - disappointed. Pestana and VilaGale hotels far superior. Don't go here if you can get somewhere else or you get it for a two star price.
We had paid up front so tough - that was the attitude.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank daughter2
Hoteis_DomPedro_Alg, Manager at Dom Pedro Portobelo, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We regret that you were not satisfied with your stay in Dom Pedro Portobelo and the hotel did not correspond to your expectations, especially due to the standard of the studios. All the studios have a spacious sitting room with two sofa beds, unfortunately studios does not have a bedroom as you expected.
About breakfast there must be a misunderstanding because the booking has been made in room only. However, there is a supplement for Breakfast "optional".

Concerning the othodontic brace, we were surprised about your comments because normally we sent the objects left by costumers.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Resident manager

Reviewed 23 July 2011

Great hotel for the price. No problems at all. Clean, great staff and nice clientele. Room cleaned daily and fresh towels provided. Pool was nice and not too busy. Most of all great location - 5 minutes from the beach and 5 minutes from the marina. Would recommend to others and would go back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Hoteis_DomPedro_Alg, Manager at Dom Pedro Portobelo, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review, we really appreciated your comments.
We ware glad that you enjoyed your stay at Dom Pedro Portobelo, service and facilities corresponded to your expetations and we look forward to welcome you back soon for another enjoyable stay with us!

Resident Manager

Reviewed 4 July 2011

I've been in this hotel several times so I knew what to expect. I booked a studio for 8 nights and then upgraded to a T1 using my Club card points. The girl who check me in was very nice and helpful.
As usual, the apartment was very clean although it could use some refurbishment.
The swiming pool is great and is always tepid (about 28 ºC).
The breakfast is not bad but certainly is not worth the price difference and closes at 10 a. m. which is very early when you're on vacation at the beach.
A minor fault was the TV which went down at night for some time. This happened twice.
Nevertheless I enjoyed it so much that when I was checking out I decided to return a couple of days later and booked a studio for 4 nights.
I called the hotel before checking in to upgrade to a T1. However the manager (?) informed me that I needed 2000 points (500 points for each night).
I informed him that I had upgraded for 8 nights using just 500 points. He checked with somebody else and confirmed that I shouldn't have upgraded for 8 nights with 500 points only. Whatever... No problem. It was just a misunderstanding.
I checked in and stayed in a studio for 4 nights. This guy who checked me this time asked me to pay the double of the price that had been given earlier. Fortunately it was his mistake...
However, the studio is disappointing. The kitchenet is tiny although there is enough space to have a kitchenet just like the ones in the T1 apartments. Instead of cabinets there is an awful old table where the microwave is.
Furthermore, it was not as clean as the T1 (bed sheets had some stains) and there was a big dark stain in the bathtub.
It was the fourth time I stayed in Portobelo but it was the first time ever in a studio and could have been so much better!

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the pool
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Inês O
ManagerDP, Manager at Dom Pedro Portobelo, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review about your recent stay at Dom Pedro Portobelo.
We are glad to know that you always enjoyed your stay with us and we regret to know that unfortunately that did not happened your last stay.
In fact a one bedroom apartment is much more comfortable than a studio. However, your comments about bed sheets and bathtub surprised me, it seems there was a lack of attention to details, this shouldn’t have occurred and this is definitely not the kind of service we want to provide and usually provide as you know.

Thank you again for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Resident Manager