We flew from Prestwick (Scotland) with Ryanair (28th Feb-3rd Mar).
My parents were already in Vilamoura so we decided to surprise them with a visit. We searched the net for the best deal and found Hotwire came up with a good price for the Dom Pedro Portobelo - where my parents were staying anyway - so all was good.
I emailed the hotel directly asking for a room next to them which was granted no probs. This was Feb & so out of season - so the Hotel was not busy anyway.
Taxi took around 25mins from Faro Airport. The Hotel entrance is a bit dull and over looks a car park which makes you think your at the back of the hotel - your not !
Inside is nice - the reception bright & obvious. There is a dining area which is nice and does breakfasts etc. My folks had a deal on breakfast and when we joined them on our first morning we thot about doing the same - but never did as the food was ok (sausage, beans, scrambled egg toast tea/coffee & cereals) but not great - we also got stung for 22 Euros for 2 adults and 1 child (10) which for what we ate was pretty steep.
The rooms however were good - clean, spacious, lots of room and all the things you need for a self-catering trip BUT the bed was solid, i mean solid !! sorted my back right out - but killed my wife's back ! The Sofa bed 's were more comfortable by far.
The view was overlooking the Vilamoura Casino & the beach - great views. The balcony patio furniture was plastic and old looking but handy never-the-less.
Eating out especially around the Marina was very expensive - 40 Euros for main course and soft drink for 3 however better deals could be found in the wee town - 5 mins from the hotel. They also have a fruit & fish market and on Thursdays they have a Gypsy market selling all sorts of tat - i'm everything from live canary's to chickens to Axe handles !
We did a bus trip to Lisbon - around 3hrs away, which cost 32 Euros and made the stay a lot better. Lots to see well worth it.
Overall Vilamoura is nice, clean location, ideal for the beach and cafes but expensive, the Hotel's lack of facilities is the reason i say 3 Star but a nice place to stay - and McDonalds is a 3min walk away !
They have a Water Park but its only open in the summer months - which I was told gets packed out everyday ! - also the woman that sells the bus trips also tries to sell timeshare !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dom Pedro Portobelo Apartment hotel & golf The hotel’s excellent location at the center of Vilamoura, facing the Casino and a short distance from the Marina, makes it easy to discover Vilamoura’s main attractions: shops, nightclubs and restaurants and bars with lovely terraces. Dom Pedro Portobelo hotel provides studios with kitchenette and spacious apartments with private balconies, most of them with a sea view. With an outdoor pool for adults and a separate wading pool for children, the hotel features a bar and a restaurant that serves Portuguese gastronomy. For golf enthusiasts, there is a Golf Desk to help you to book green fees, with special rates and conditions for our guests, as well as a courtesy shuttle bus to the 5 Dom Pedro Golf Collection golf courses in Vilamoura. On Vilamoura’s beach, only 5 minutes walk from the hotel, there is an exclusive area reserved with thatched umbrellas and loungers, as well as a beach restaurant and bar: The Búzios Beach Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Alpha Holidays Limited, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, HotelsClick, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Dom Pedro Portobelo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dom Pedro Portobelo Hotel Vilamoura
- Dom Pedro Portobelo Quarteira
- Dom Pedro Portobelo Vilamoura, Portugal - Algarve