Dom Pedro Portobelo
Agoda.com
US$443
US$397
  • Pool
All reviewsone bedroom apartmentself cateringlarge balconysea viewrooms are hugekitchen areabit datedlocation was perfectbeds were comfortabletime sharecleaned every daypleasant stayshort breakstayed here for a weekfew minutes walkplenty of sunbedscold meats
Reviewed 4 July 2012

My husband & I returned home 23rd June after a fabulous holiday in Vilamoura staying at the Dom Pedro Portobello.We found this hotel to be very clean having towels changed EVERY day & bedsheets 3 times but pillowcases also changed every day!!!Room also cleaned every day !!View was spectacular ,especially sitting on the balcony at night.We found the staff very pleasant & the meals in the restaurant were to die for especially the sea bass!!!This was our first time in Vilamoura after staying at Albufeira last year which we also enjoyed my choice would certainly be back to the Dom Pedro hopefully next year!

Management response:Responded 5 July 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. We really appreciated your kind feedback and are very glad that you enjoyed your first stay at our Hotel. Thank you so much, on behalf of whole team.

We look forward to welcoming you to Dom Pedro Portobelo hopefully next year.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

We have just got back after spending a week at the Dom Pedro and had a wonderful time. Our room was on the 5th floor, very nice and spacious, but i was in shock when i noticed there was no mirror in the room to do my hair. We went to reception and were told there were none available so the next day we went out and purchased a small table mirror which did the trick. The hotel is in a great location and Vilamoura is beautiful and the people so friendly. We would recommend this hotel and would like to say a special thanks to Carla who made our breakfast every morning, what a hard working lovely lady. We will be back!!

Management response:Responded 5 July 2012

Dear guest,

We are very glad that you have spent an excellent time at the Dom Pedro Portobelo. We regret the lack of the mirror but it will be resolved in a near future.

Thank you so much for your kind review and we really hope that we will be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Just spent a week at the Dom Pedro Portability hotel in Vilamoura.
This hotel is exceptionally clean, well situated and has a great pool area.
I read some TripAdvisor reviews before going and it seemed that some thought the decor a bit old fashioned, this may be true but it was very comfortable all the rooms spacious and again clean all we needed really.
The staff were fantastic could not do enough for us.
Only let down was the half board menu in the evenings - a bit repetitive so we wont do that again.
Breakfast however was great really sets you up for the day

Room Tip: Go for the one bedroom it was a good flat size
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at Dom Pedro Portobelo.

It is always gratifying to receive feedback, especially if it is so positive.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Dom Pedro Portobelo and we hope that we will be able to welcome you back.

Reviewed 23 June 2012

Just back from a week at the Dom Pedro Portobelo. First impression of our second floor studio was perfect. Large and bright, nice balcony and yes as in previous reviews furniture was a bit dated but that didn't bother us. It was spotless with plenty of storage space. However I hadn't read through all the other reviews and did not realise there was no mirror apart from bathroom which had no electricity. When I went down to reception to ask about that and a safe I met another guest and asked her was her apartment had a mirror, she replied that I must be in a studio as the 1 bedroom apartments have mirrors but the studios don't. I think that's outrageous as a studio was perfect for our needs, why should we have to go to a 1 bedroom for an extra mirror. When I complained to a rather curt female receptionist she just shrugged and said there was nothing she could do. Some people might think that this is a minor point but I think that to most females a place to dry your hair is not unreasonable.Also I agree with another reviewer that a hotel and resort guide would have been useful however at no point were we approached about a timeshare presentation which was a bonus. We were very pleased with the Dom Portobelo- excellent location, quiet, spotless, plenty of sunbeds, lovely pool, lovely bar staff and we had a wonderful holiday in beautiful Vilamoura. Great supermarket nearby but the highlights for us were Zu Yi Chinese restaurant (A MUST !!!!!) Figo's bar and 19th Hole (great band) We'll definitely be back and probably will stay at Dom Pedro Portobelo

Room Tip: Take a mirror if you are in a studio !!!
1  Thank Renfrewbud
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and for your preference to Dom Pedro Portobelo.

We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. With regard to the lack of bathroom socket in studios, I want to clarify, that will be resolved in the near future.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Dom Pedro Portobelo.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

1st visit to the Portobelo and had read varied reviews, some most uncomplimentary. Here's my experience.

Check in was quick by a smiling receptionist and keycards obtained. we were told to ring 9 on the phone if we needed anything or there were any problems with the room. On arrival in the room I phoned reception to ask for a hair dryer and it arrived within 10 minutes, so thumbs up.

We had a 1 bedroom apartment on 5th floor and I was struck by the size immediately. Bedroom, lounge/kitchen area, bathroom and large balcony with table and 4 chairs and clothes dryer. Most reviewers make a reference to to the dated and tired look of the decor/furniture and I have to agree with them.

The kitchenette contained 2 hotplates and a microwave for cooking, there were several pots/pans provided and a good stock of crockery and cutlery was available for use. An electric kettle is also provided. An iron and ironing board is in the room to get rid of those suitcase creases. We appreciated the basket of fruit that had been placed in the room as a welcome gift. There was also a dining table and chairs and a table cloth and napkins were in one of the drawers.

The bathroom contained sink, toilet, bidet and bath with shower attachement. The water pressure was powerful so provided an invigorating shower. It was well stocked with towels and soap etc but did look a little tired. Because there is no natural light in the bathroom it is a little dark, which is compounded by the brown tiling.

The living room contained two sofas which became single beds (not used), glass coffee table, and two small square tables with lamps. A TV with numerous channels was positioned on a side board and there is a telephone. There is a wardrobe just inside the apartment which contains a safe (the safe requires a deposit to be paid for it's use).

The bedroom contained a good sized bed, bedside tables and dressing table. There was built in wardrobe with hangers and drawer space and a remote TV.

Both living room and bedroom have sliding glass doors to access the large balcony. Unfortunately the balcony doesn't see very much sun, except for a small corner area in the mid afternoon.

I was disappointed that an information pack on the local area wasn't provided in the room to aid guests to find their way around. The next morning I was rung by guest services to say that a welcome pack could be obtained from them, however, I would need to book an appointment to see someone to get it! I pointed out that I was on holiday and had no wish to sit down with a rep which would eat into my precious time. I went down to Guest Services and asked for an information pack and was told that they weren't made up and that an appointment would be necessary to get a pack that they could prepare only after talking to me. Why was an appointment necessary, I asked? Well, that apparently is to sign for a voucher which offers you a reduced price week on a future date. I declined to make an appointment as I had no interest in the obvious presentation that would ensue, so didn't receive an information pack. I did, however, speak to other guests who did make an appointment and one of these, who went to get details of a pharmacy etc found himself sat there for more than 3 hours in a timeshare presentation!

The resort was pretty quiet except on the Friday night when the Casino on the opposite side of the road was emptying. An argument broke out which woke me up and then several cars decided to have a competition on who could play their incar hifi system the loudest. This was obviously not something controllable by our resort staff.

Overall, we did enjoy the stay at the Portobelo but did think that the sister property the Dom Pedro Marina had more atmosphere. The bar in the Portobelo was virtually deserted each night, but the barman was friendly. The negative for me was the lack of area information and this had to be gained through my own research by walking around the area. Come on Dom Pedro put some information in the guest rooms please?

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sparky78
Hoteis_DomPedro_Alg, Manager at Dom Pedro Portobelo, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed description of the hotel. We are very pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us, but regret that it was not completely perfect for the reasons mentioned in your review.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Dom Pedro Portobelo.