I have just returned from my second visit to the Dom Pedro Portobello in Vilamoura and once again had a fabulous stay!
The apartments are very well situated and its only a two minute walk to the beach and the Marina. Having said this, there is no noise from the Marina at night as the hotel is set back. The only draw back for staying here the first week in October is that the hotel is opposite the casino which hosts a TouringRally on the1st Sunday. 78 cars leaving at 3 minute intervals from 8.30 in the morning can be quite loud! They return from about 3.30pm onwards, so a good day to visit to beach!
We had a studio apartment which has twin beds and two large sofas. There is a small, well equipped, kitchenette and dining area as well in a very spacious room. The bathrooms do need refurbishing as they are very tired looking and there are no power points in the bathroom and no mirrors anywhere else in the apartment. However, having stayed here before, we took an extension cable with us for our hair dryers, so problem resolved! (We could have just taken a small mirror but being two girls, we needed a mirror ,the one in the bathroom, to see whilst drying our hair!) . Our friends had a one bedroom apartment and there is a mirror and a power point in the bedroom.
The hotel pool is excellent and the sun loungers are very comfortable. Pool towels can be obtained from reception for a small deposit. There is also a bar and restaurant by the pool and the menu is very good.
On our previous stay we had opted bed and breakfast but this time we forewent breakfast as the facilities for self catering were excellent. There is a small supermarket two minutes walk away which stocks every thing you need.
There are too many excellent restaurants around the Marina to mention, but favourites are Ostra D'Oura, A'Broa,the Catalana and The Mayflower. Ruiz is also good for cheap and cheerful. The hotel will advise of locations.
There are a lot of golfers at the resort so it means that the pool area and beaches are relatively empty during the day in October but the weather was fantastic so this meant relaxing days for us.
The nightlife is extremely good but nothing really gets going until 10.30/11pm. The best bars for music are Parky's at the far end of the Marina, where they have an Elvis Tribute evening and the food there is pretty good too, the Atlantic Bar, which is raised on a terrace above the Marina,together with The Irish Cabin. The Atlantic Bar has a solo singer and the Irish Cabin has very good band. Both of these bars get very busy but there is a very large outside terrace and bar as well.
The 19th Hole has a brilliant band playing there 5 nights a week and Karaoke 2 nights. This bar is especially good as its only a short walk from the hotel, on the Marina.
There are plenty of trips that can be taken if you want to sight see and they are very reasonable. There are a couple of tour offices just along the road from the hotel.
The Marina area of Vilamoura is quite compact so it is easy to walk everywhere and it's also very flat so everywhere is very accessible.
Just one request for the Dom Pedro.....a mirror in the apartment near a socket please and refurbish those bathrooms!
I will definitely be returning next year though as we had fabulous weather and a brilliant holiday
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dom Pedro Portobelo Apartment hotel & golf The hotel’s excellent location at the center of Vilamoura, facing the Casino and a short distance from the Marina, makes it easy to discover Vilamoura’s main attractions: shops, nightclubs and restaurants and bars with lovely terraces. Dom Pedro Portobelo hotel provides studios with kitchenette and spacious apartments with private balconies, most of them with a sea view. With an outdoor pool for adults and a separate wading pool for children, the hotel features a bar and a restaurant that serves Portuguese gastronomy. For golf enthusiasts, there is a Golf Desk to help you to book green fees, with special rates and conditions for our guests, as well as a courtesy shuttle bus to the 5 Dom Pedro Golf Collection golf courses in Vilamoura. On Vilamoura’s beach, only 5 minutes walk from the hotel, there is an exclusive area reserved with thatched umbrellas and loungers, as well as a beach restaurant and bar: The Búzios Beach Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Lastminute, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Dom Pedro Portobelo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dom Pedro Portobelo Hotel Vilamoura
- Dom Pedro Portobelo Quarteira
- Dom Pedro Portobelo Vilamoura, Portugal - Algarve