“Ruined by NOISE !!!”

Tivoli Marina Vilamoura
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Vilamoura
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Have just returned from a week here , hotel very good we were lucky to get an upgrade to a suite , highly recommended . Breakfast is excellent even catered for gluten free which was great for me .Unfortunately our stay was spoilt by the very loud music from the Puro beach area , we only got 3 quietier nights out of 7 , is it necessary to have the music so loud till +2am ? Area around the marina is excellent for a stroll , we had some great meals in a square behind the marina very good value for money . unfortunately we will not be returning because of the noise at night .

2  Thank sunnyjersey2014
Jorge B, General Manager at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience of staying at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura.
It is a great pleasure to know that you enjoyed our hotel and our breakfast service, which we give special attention in order to provide a range of quality products which are fitting for a hotel of our status.
We sincerely apologize if the music from the beach bar disturbed your stay. We have a co-branding with Purobeach, an urban concept that provides a special service and a different way to enjoy the beach. Nevertheless, these reviews are very important for us since the comments of our guests are the best way to improve our standards.
Looking forward to welcome you back on your next stay in Vilamoura, we would like to apologize once again.
Jorge Beldade

Write a ReviewReviews (5,445)

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Spent 2 nights here and to be honest it's not as fancy as it thinks it is. After spending time at other hotels in Portugal, the rooms felt dated and the air con was really loud and not very effective. They have spent money on the lobby though. Breakfast was good, busy but lots of choice. Location of hotel is good for access to the marina (which is nice at night) but the area itself is very built up and expensive compared to most of the rest of Portugal. One major let down is no free wi-fi in the rooms.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jen32B
Jorge B, General Manager at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Jen
Thank you for sharing your experience of staying at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura.
We are sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations.
The room you booked is part of our classic category which has more traditional decoration, a generous 34m2 and all Tivoli facilities. Nevertheless, your comments are very important for us and we will take it into consideration in our next refurbishments.
We apologize for the situation with the air conditioning and for any disturb it might have caused you. We shared your comments with our maintenance team and assure you that all the steps have been taken to solve it.
Regarding free Wi-Fi, we would just like to mention that if you sign up to our free loyalty program, GHA Discovery, you will have free Wi-Fi internet as well as other benefits such as a free bottle of mineral water in your room on arrival and a free daily newspaper of your choice during your stay. If you wish, sign up on your next visit and you will also have access to a unique portfolio of local experiences.
We look forward to being able to welcome you back on your next stay in Vilamoura.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed there for a week recently with my wife--thoroughly enjoyed it. We got there before check in time but that was no problem as we got fixed up in a few minutes. Porters and reception staff were excellent. Room was very clean but a little jaded looking. Balcony overlooking swimming pools was fine. Had B & B option and we really enjoyed breakfast every morning. Staff were once again very nice. Ate out every evening in different restaurants-- there are plenty of them to choose from. The hotel bar was pretty quiet which wasnt surprising as it was very expensive at €8.50 for a whiskey. When we were leaving we were allowed a late check out to cater for an evening flight.
All in all we had a very relaxing week in the Tivoli and I would return there in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stephen t

Dear Stephen
Thank you for sharing your experience of staying at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura.
It is a great pleasure to know that the week you spent with us met your expectations.
The room you stayed in is part of our classic category which has more traditional decoration, a spectacular sea or marina view and all Tivoli facilities. Nevertheless, your comments are very important for us and we will take it into consideration.
We would like to thank your words dedicated to our staff that we shared with them and they were very proud of your recognition.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay in Vilamoura.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We read quite a few reviews before booking the Tivoli and where rather looking forward to staying there, we weren't shocked but a little disappointed..... The hotel seems somewhat "dated". The foyer/reception is quite modern and grand but the rooms are a bit of a let down !! Seeing two single beds in a double room was a surprise and speaking with other guests it seemed to be the norm. Staff were friendly and they did get up our room ready by 11 and check in isn't until 2 so was happy about that, It just seemed like it needed a good coat of paint...but hey, it's somewhere to wash and lay your head....(not at those prices!!!!)
Annoyed that the gym didn't open until 9am!!!!
Pool areas were clean and large, Puro beach is amazing both lakeside in the evening and beachfront in the day, we had a blast !!!!
We seemed to get passed over for an evening turndown service on all but our first night despite having hung the request on the outside of the door :-(
And to be charged 2 euros to use the espresso pods In the supplied espresso machine in the room is a joke !!!!!!!!
It's was an experience that didn't spoil our stay in vilamoura, it just gave us a little food for thought that perhaps there may be better hotels to stay at within a few steps of the marina next time.

2  Thank Stuart R
Jorge B, General Manager at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Stuart
Thank you for sharing your experience of staying at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura.
We are sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations.
The coffee and tea service, available in all rooms with a Nespresso coffee machine, is a facility we provide to our guests so that they can enjoy a quality coffee or tea in the comfort of their room without moving to the bar.
Regarding the turndown service, there must have been a misunderstanding with the door knob. We sincerely apologize for this situation and for the inconveniences that it might have caused you.
We have taken full note of all your comments, which we thank you for, since the continuous improvement of our services is an integral part of the hotel policy.
We apologize once again and look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay in Vilamoura,

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Myself and my mother stayed here for 10 days in May 2014. Apart from one issue with the housekeeping staff (which the hotel sorted out immediately) we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We choose to stay B&B as we prefer to try out different restaurants at night. Breakfast was brilliant with a multitude of things to choose from, If I had to complain it would only be that you end up eating far too much!! Staff are all very friendly and helpful. Hotel is in a prime location on the beach and marina, with great views from any side. We choose a deluxe room, so we had the nice touches like turndown service with chocolate on the pillows, bathrobe and slippers and a Rain Shower. Our room overlooked the Marina this time, which was quite nice, and even though we were only on the 3rd floor we never heard any noise from people outside at night. Would happily stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Jorge B, General Manager at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience of staying at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura.
We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and that our breakfast met your expectations. We give special attention to our breakfast service so as to provide a range of quality products which are fitting for a hotel of our status.
We would like to thank your words dedicated to our staff. This kind of comments motivates and encourages us to improve our service.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I am writing this on my balcony while it's all fresh in my mind.Sorry if its a bit long winded but I feel I must give credit where it's due.
Firstly, as a lady travelling solo this was the ideal hotel to chill out, it was safe and within easy access of everything I needed.
On arrival I was met by a lovely friendly doorman and Vanessa the receptionist, both were very accommodating and my cases were taken to my room.
I soon settled in and admired the beautiful gardens that were so well looked after, there is somewhere different to sit everyday if you wished, the little stream and bridge that run around the edge of the garden make it so peaceful, shaded palm trees and plenty of sun beds.
I hope the director of Tivoli reads the reviews on here as I want to say a big thank you to the lovely staff at the Acucar bar in the garden grounds, David, Christiano and Miguel were always smiling and so happy to serve you and nothing was to much trouble, they always had time for a chat and I feel that they needed a mention, thank you to you all.
However, I must point out that the staff at the Puro bar on the beach were terrible and I waited 45 mins for a drink which they admitted they had forgotten about, I wouldn't have minded if they were busy but it was quiet at the time, they were more interested in chatting girls up and ignoring customers, very overpriced and bad service, the sun beds should be free in a 5 star hotel surely not 10€? I used the other bar next to it with the blue canopy, lovely food and service with a smile.
The housekeeping is excellent and I was even given a clean dressing gown when the lady noticed I had spilt something on it, that was a nice touch, the toiletries in the room are very nice, and I really welcomed the dressing gown and slippers as the evenings are a bit chilly.
I agree with others that the rooms are a bit corporate looking and not homely no pictures up or little touches but they were clean with comfortable beds and pillows.
Breakfast has something for everyone with ample supplies of tea and coffee.
The indoor pool and jacuzzi/sauna/steam room are also very good.
I used the hairdressers twice in the hotel, wonderful swedish lady who did my hair to perfection, I would highly recommend the salon.
I had a few meals in my room as I was travelling solo and couldn't fault the food or service, it arrived on a table with a white cloth and was very professionally presented.
The in house movies also came in handy if you didn't want to venture out in the evening.
I also used the spa which didn't live up to my expectations and was very overpriced 90€ for a facial which consisted mainly of back massage and natural ingredients! soya beans! honey! turmeric!! A lot of money for cheap products, when I booked A few months before my holiday I was told they were rebranding so I booked, but when I arrived at the spa I was told they hadn't come in yet so there was only one facial available which i felt quite let down by, this is not run by the hotel but I felt I should mention it as it isn't worth what I paid.
All in all fabulous hotel in prime position, wonderful staff, lovely stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank huskyjunky

Thank you for sharing your experience of staying at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura.
We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and the facilities we provided.
We thank your words dedicated to our staff in general, that we shared with all of them and they were very proud of your recognition. On the other hand, we apologize for the attitude of our staff at the beach bar and we would like to thank your comments so that we can continue to invest in their training.
In the hotel facilities there are indeed a few that are chargeable. Our Purobeach facilities are included in that category and are advertised as a charged facility as per the hotel commercial policy.
We are sorry that our Spa did not meet your expectations. We much appreciate your comments and we will take it into consideration.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay in Vilamoura.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Having booked the Tivoli and then reading additional TA reviews I was beginning to get a little apprehensive. However, I think some people are just expecting 'London 5 star'. Therefore I will be totally subjective, i.e. based on what I expected and my personal opinions.

The Room: we were in a classic room and first and foremost these rooms are nice, pretty big and perfectly adequate for what most would need. Yes they are more classic in their design (traditional wooden furniture, shower over bath, bidet (which is actually handy for cooling your feet off after a long walk)), so if you want closer to a London business kind of look and feel I think the upgraded rooms are probably more what you would want. But generally the classic room should be very good for the majority. The room included a large Samsung TV (could do with getting BBC24 rather than BBC World News, but did have Eurosport which was handy for the French Open), a good sized bathroom, very nice toiletries, free safe, good sized mini-bar to store big bottles of water, nice table with two seats and additional seat in the corner, a decent balcony, good amount of storage space, and two large single beds that, pushed together, created a huge double (very cumfy). Additionals of note included a single chocolate left on the bed for both of us each night (nice touch), hotel slippers (moved to the side of the bed each night along with a little mat - again nice touch), and split recycling bin (well done). Only suggestions for me would be perhaps a couple of updates - handheld rather than wall-mounted hairdrier, new shower, new carpet. I'd give the room 8/10.

The hotel itself: its pretty big - we couldn't find the tennis court or the conference area (we like to explore). The quite cavernous foyer which opens out into the lower ground floor is rather nice with loads and loads of smart seating areas which, to be fair, aren't used all that often (except for the odd golfing party waiting for their mini bus), but do highlight it's 5 star rating. The lower ground area is spacious and airy, and around the corner from the lifts is a little shop with a surprising amount of stuff (including UK newspapers) - big plus there. The terrace bar (which we didn't go to) looks pretty nice (view over the Marina), and to be honest all the rest of the in-hotel restaurants and bars look of good quality. The hotel in general I'd give 9/10.

Breakfast: was always good. Usually around 8-10 different hot choices (typical day: omelettes cooked to order, soft boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, beans, sausages, streaky bacon, potato fritters, mushrooms), toast, lots of different pastries, loads of fruit juices, plenty fruit and yoghurts, plus meat and cheese selections. And...champagne (we couldn't quite manage this at 9am). Tea and coffee refills are frequent. The warm food could do with sometimes being a bit warmer, but self service tends to be like this, and I'm being picky. Breakfast I'd give 9.5/10.

Pool area: plenty of room and plenty of sun-loungers. YOU DON'T NEED TO TAKE BEACH TOWELS - THESE ARE PROVIDED AT THE POOL AREA IN THE LITTLE GREEN/BROWN(?) HUT ON THE FAR SIDE (BIG PLUS THIS). The pool is nice and clean, quite cool, but also quite big so it would take a while to heat up (especially as max depth I think is 2.4m). The pool area includes a table tennis table directly to the left as you exit the hotel, has a large outdoor seating area to the right (for coffee and cake or a beer), and then drifts into more of a garden on the far side. It's rather picturesque with a little stream, small (4 or 5 hole) putting green plus a good kids pool. The atmosphere was quite laid back - no rowdy groups thankfully. There's a bar to the left and passed the pool which looked canny (didn't actually buy any drinks ourselves) and the back gate leads to the beach and the Purobeach (which we didn't bother with). Only suggestion would be to perhaps provide cushions for the sun-loungers. Pool area I'd give 9/10.

Bars/restaurants: we only had a single drink (cocktail - 2for1 offer from the hotel discounts booklet you get with your key) and this was in the Canela which was very chique, had good service, sufficient seating areas, and opened out onto the terrace bar. There was also a 90s throw-back singer on which was canny good. 9/10.

Service: check-in wasn't swift, but there's a few things they're checking, including which room you will be allocated, as this doesn't appear to be done until you arrive. The check-in staff are very friendly, more than willing to help (though we know the area so didn't really need to ask much) and also rang the room just as we got there to check everything was ok. This, whether a new protocol based on feedback/reviews, or just part of the service, I believe is good as it suggests an attentiveness to any issues (of which we had none). Porters (although not really needed as we only had hand lugguage) were also very attentive. Breakfast staff are all very friendly with a good tea/coffee at table service. Service at the Canela bar was, as mentioned, spot on. Room cleaning was very good as well. Service I'd give 9.5/10.

Location: we knew the location and this was half the reason we booked Vilamoura. The Tivoli is probably the best located hotel in Vilamoura - you literally go to the lower ground floor, walk out the card access door and you're right on the Marina (at the quietest part) opposite the berthing area of the biggest boats (Vive la Vie superyacht was berthed when we arrived). Basically the hotel sits at the beginning of the walk around the marina and for that reason its perfectly located. In the evening the nearest pub (19th Hole) can be a little noisy as it has karaoke/live music on most nights, but nothing too loud - if you've filled your day with stuff you'll be tired enough to drop-off despite some squawking 'singers'. Location 10/10.

Room Tip: I would suggest asking for a Marina view, for two reasons: the view is marvellous, and the sun doesn...