“Don't Ask for a Sea View Room. !!”

Tivoli Marina Vilamoura
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Don't Ask for a Sea View Room. !!”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

First impressions on arrival at the Tivoli were good,location perfect and luggage collected by the concierge with a very welcoming manner.We arrived at the same time as approximately 30 other guests which caused panic and confusion with the understaffed and poorly organised reception staff.After queuing for nearly an hour with absolutely no information offered we then reached the front to be told our room wasn't ready and wouldn't be until 2pm {which we anticipated on arrival at 12 but given that information at that stage we wouldn't have queued } which after a 4am start and 8 hours of travelling wasn't really appreciated.I would definitely recommend joining the loyalty programme which is free and allows you free wifi {normally 15 Euros per day} although it was a little unreliable and a free newspaper each day which again is around a 15 Euro saving over a week.As requested we got a sea view room even though we asked for a double room and received a twin room which we queried but the alternatives eventually offered for the next day were not suitable.The room was generally OK,wardrobe space was more than ample and the bathroom spacious however the balcony was 'pokey'.
The poolside area is large enough and we never struggled once to get a bed or a location ,what I did find strange is that the pool area didn't open until 9am and neither did the gym.The gym being particularly frustrating for me personally as I like to exercise first thing in a morning however it resulted in a huge rush every day as the breakfast offering ends at 10.30am.I am also surprised that it doesn't open earlier as there are many business people who stay there for conferences.The range of food available for breakfast was good and the staff were very courteous and helpful.
I appreciate that this hotel is advertised as 5 star and therefore I was prepared to pay 5 star prices but I still found the poolside bar expensive { small club sandwich with a handful of crisps c11 euros} and i also expect 5 star service which like the rest of the hotel was very inconsistent...if you went to the bar they were relatively quick however go and sit in the outside area and basically you need to wave your arms around like you are landing an aircraft to get service from the under staffed waiting staff.
The pool which is of a good size was the coldest I have ever experienced which resulted in very few people using it...I don't think I saw more than 10 people in it at one time during the whole week.I basically used it to quickly cool my body temperature down for 30 seconds and got straight out again.{pools are meant to offer fun and relaxation also I believe}.
The Canela bar is a great place to start the evening however the staff are totally disorganised and there doesn't appear to be anyone in charge,I sat at the bar every evening at around 8pm for an hour,every evening there were at least 5 customers querying their bill and without fail I was asked every evening what I had had to drink as they had no idea.I looked behind the bar and there was paper with orders on the floor etc.In addition the staff argued with each other in front of customers which was embarrassing for all concerned and very unprofessional.The Peppers restaurant on site was very good although the wine list is limited to Portuguese white wines which I tried and found unpleasant {personal taste} and the wine waiter didn't know what Prosecco was.
The hotel is in a fabulous location for the marina however we found the better eateries to be behind the marina...more authentic Portuguese fare.
The worst experience was yet to come,we had no knowledge whatsoever that the Lakeside,which is a fantastic structure in the hotel grounds positioned between the hotel and the sea,would have extremely loud music on until 2am pretty much every night and apparently there are party nights until 4am.It is that loud that even with the patio doors closed it is very very audible and impossible to sleep through...my advice would strongly be......dont ask for a sea view room if you want to go to sleep before 2am !
A special word should be offered for the lovely lady who cleaned our room and turned the beds down every night.
In conclusion,this hotel has a great deal to offer however it doesn't offer you a 5 star experience yet charges 5 star prices.I believe staff are untrained and under resourced in key areas and the hotel is actually missing out on a number of revenue generating opportunities.

3 Thank Karl E
Jorge B, General Manager at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Karl,
Thank you for sharing your Experience of staying at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura.
We are sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations and we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences your mentioned.
We would like to thank your comments concerning our staff so that we can continue to promote their training in order to achieve better results in the future.
Regarding the bar, we apologize for disturb caused by the music. We have a co-branding with Purobeach, an urban concept that provides a special service and a different way to enjoy the beach and there are also some guests that choose this venue for their private parties. Nevertheless, we much value these reviews and we will take your comments into consideration since our overriding goal is always to provide a quality service to our guests.
Hoping you give us the opportunity to change your opinion about our services on a next visit, we apologize once again.
Jorge Beldade

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Hungarian first
  • Slovak first
Lochwinnoch, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This was our second trip to the Tivoli Marina and whilst expensive, it did not disappoint. The hotel is at the apex of the Marina and the beach at Vilamoura, meaning all rooms have either a Marina or sea view. Breakfasts are great, with made to order omlettes as well as a wide range of food. The pool is excellent and towel hire is free. There is an indoor pool and spa, though the steam room was out of order for the whole week we were there. The rooms are pleasant and spacious - word of warning though. In spite of being a costly hotel they do not supply tea/coffee in the rooms. instead there is an expresso machine which costs two euros a cup..which we thought was poor. So, do as we do, take a kettle with you and some coffee and tea bags. Also, beware that in room internet is 13 euros a day.. unless you join the hotel loyalty GHA programme. Do this before you leave, .. it will also get you a free newspaper. Think this should be more widely publicised. We knew about it, but that was only through luck and savvy childfren. Overall, a lovely place for a relaxing "do nothing" break. And when going out in Valmoura, opt for places to eat behind the commercial marina. Not only are they cheaper a street or two away, the food is much more authentically Portugese.

Room Tip: either side of the hotel is great, though the Marina side can be noisy at night. The buzz is good th...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Peter A
Jorge B, General Manager at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Peter,
Thank you for sharing your Experience of staying at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura.
It was a pleasure to welcome you again in our hotel and to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.
The coffee and tea facilities, available in all rooms, provide our guests the possibility of enjoying a quality coffee or tea in the comfort of the room without moving to the bar. Regarding GHA, we would like to say that our loyalty program provides you also benefits in more than 350 hotels around the world.
These reviews are very important for us and we will take your comments into consideration.
We look forward to welcome you back on your next stay in Vilamoura.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is my second visit to the Tivoli Marina and it was even better this time around. From the moment you arrive at reception you greeted by a concierge who takes your luggage and offers you a welcome iced tea to enjoy while you are checking in. A tip for check in: sign up to the hotel's GHA program as you can buld up credit,depending on how many days you have stayed,for some good benefits including free wi fi in your room (this usually costs Euro 15 per day),a free newspaper of your choice each day,a free room upgrade on your next visit and a late check out - well worthwhile.

The staff at this hotel from the reception,to the bellhops,to the pool staff and chamber maids are all fantastic - friendly and helpful - a credit to the hotel.

The pool area is beautiful and well maintained and the Puro Beach area is nice too,although I do think that guests at the hotel should not have to pay Euro 10 for a sunlounger and an additional Euro 10 for a parasol (these are free by the pool).

The Marina itself,just outside the door of the hotel,offers plenty of lovely bars and restaurants - a particular mention should go to Taku Japanese restaurant,Lamparo Italian restaurant and Prime steakhouse,all which are excellent.

I love the Tivoli Marina and will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Aideen B
Jorge B, General Manager at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Aideen,
Thank you for sharing your Experience of staying at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura.
It was a pleasure to welcome you again in our hotel and to know that your stay met your expectations.
In the hotel facilities there are indeed a few that are chargeable. Our Purobeach facilities are included in that category and are advertised as a charged facility as per the hotel commercial policy.
We would like to thank your words dedicated to our staff. It is always good to know that our efforts are recognized.
We look forward to welcome you back soon.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is my second visit to the Tivoli Marina. The location was still great and the views from the bedrooms were very good. The reception area remains excellent as does Peppers restaurant. One thing that attracted me back was the vast sunbathing areas which afforded degree of privacy and tranquility. Unfortunately, this was spoilt on this occasion by a Nike conference which commandeered one third of this area for 2 days and proceeded to play competitive games whilst the organisers controlled the events with a tannoy and bull horn. To those people thinking of booking a holiday here check beforehand that the hotel is not hosting any large conferences which intend to take up any of the outside areas.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room chose one with a sea view rather than a marina view. If you want an interes...
1 Thank Nigel P
Jorge B, General Manager at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Nigel,
Thank you for sharing your experience of staying at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura.
It was a pleasure to welcome you back in our hotel and we are pleased to know that you enjoyed our superb location and our Pepper’s Steakhouse which is the ideal place to taste the best meat with a variety of exquisite sauces.
Regarding the conference, we would like to apologize for disturb caused during your stay. We understand your frustration but we would like to mention that, even though it was a big group, all the facilities were available. The hotel is a Congress & Conference Hotel and despite of our efforts and although we have communicated with the group coordinator there were situations that we could not control.
Looking forward to being able to welcome you back, we apologize once again.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I don't usually write reviews but I felt compelled to make an account and make one on the Tivoli Marina. it was Mine and My Wife's honeymoon and they made it so special, from the second You arrive You feel the 5 star experience of this hotel. Staff are fantastic and the Reception is beautiful. We had champagne on ice and chocolate strawberry's waiting in our room (I had requested it beforehand). also it was My Wife's birthday whilst We were there too, once again (Without Prompting) there was a cake and champagne in Our room once we Returned from a night out. Ignore the bad reviews as they are very very nit picky. Trust Me, if You're going to Vilamoura, Stay Here.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter which Side of the hotel You stay, You get a fantastic view. One side You have the...
Dear James,
First of all, thank you for having celebrated with us such special moments in your lives.
It is a great pleasure to know that everything met your expectations and that we provided you a lovely experience.
We much appreciate your comments and look forward to welcome you back in a near future.
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Nice & modern hotel. A large variety of food choices, quiet pool & beach area. Friendly staff. Puro Beach facility was very nice, a very nice place for party and good cocktails. The restaurants & food was very good and a wide variety of sea food. The Hotel is placed right in front of the beach (beach towels included).The conference room was large enough to fit 250 people (could fit more). No small meeting rooms available, nevertheless they have transformed some rooms at the 1st floor in meeting rooms. Room service and reception staff very helpful and nice. You are unable to pay your taxi via CC, but the receptionist booked it on the room and the Hotel paid the Taxi to the Airport. 20 minutes maximum distance to the Faro Airport.

Room Tip: Rooms at the 1st floor are not modern, while I heard that on the upper floors rooms are refurbished...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Jorge B, General Manager at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Adina,
Thank you for sharing your Experience of staying at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura.
We are pleased to know that you enjoyed our hotel and its superb location as well as the facilities we provided.
Purobeach Vilamoura combines a relaxed and inspiring atmosphere with a sophisticated and urban lifestyle. With a restaurant and a lounge bar, it is the perfect place to spend unforgettable moments.
We shared your comments with our staff and we would like to thank you on their behalf.
We look forward to welcome you back on your next stay in Vilamoura.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Two separate Corporate events whilst we were there soured our Holiday at the beginning of June. Nike, the sports company, were the main culprits and I'm just glad we only had to suffer one day of them before we left. They took over the dinning hall at breakfast, obviously having to have the meal all at the same time, and the Hotel obliged them further by closing off the Menta Pool restaurant to ordinary guests to provide them their lunchtime requirements. Nike also like to rise early in the morning for their daily exercise rituals before their morning presentations and iit appears that they think that everybody else should be part of it judging by the grunting and whooping noises they made within easy hearing distance of the rooms.
It was our eighth visit to the Tivoli, but you wouldn't have guessed it from the lack of response I've had from the Management team over my concerns? I wrote to them before we left the hotel, complete with my email address so it shouldn't have been difficult for them to reply directly! To this date I've had no response, - thus feeling the need to post this on here, very very poor customer relations. I've read the response to other observations about this same time period, and find it saddening that the money earning corporates' appear to be more important to Tivoli than the holiday makers that are their main bread and butter. I will probably not be going back there again, unless attitudes change!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JOHN W
Dear John,
First of all, we sincerely apologize for the delay in replying back to you and we would like to say that it was a great pleasure to welcome you back in our hotel.
As the hotel is a Congress & Conference Hotel, the convention groups are one of the business segments we work with. All the facilities were available and we assure you that we made all the efforts to provide an enjoyable stay to our individual guests during those days. However, as you may understand, and despite we have communicated with the group coordinator, there are some behaviors that we could not control. Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences and disturb caused during your stay. We much value your comments and we assure you that all the efforts will be made to guarantee that a similar situation will not happen again.
As stated on our previous correspondence, we expect to welcome you again so we can have another opportunity to provide you a pleasant experience at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura.
Jorge Beldade
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamoura
Crowne Plaza Vilamoura - Algarve
#2 of 154 in Albufeira
Dom Pedro Marina
Dom Pedro Marina
#10 of 36 in Vilamoura

Been to Tivoli Marina Vilamoura? Share your experiences!