“EXCELLENT HOTEL AND LOCATION”

Tivoli Marina Vilamoura
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“EXCELLENT HOTEL AND LOCATION”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Just back from 14 nights at the Tivoli Marina Hotel. The staff there are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is in a fantastic location at the Marina where there are loads of restaurants and some bars. This is a great place to relax. The hotel are currently refurbishing the rooms, we did not stay in one of the refurbished rooms as we were on the 7th floor but the room even though a bit dated was spotless. The breakfast has a good choice on the buffet. The pool and beach club are great and there are plenty of loungers beside the pool. The staff at the pool bar were great and so were the ones in the kids club and they arranged a football match each day which our 14 year old sone enjoyed. We stayed with our three children 16, 14 and 11.

Room Tip: as for a refurbished room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Jorge B, General Manager at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Jacqueline,
Thank you for sharing your Experience of staying at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura.
We are glad that you enjoyed our hotel and its location overlooking the lively Marina with its shops, restaurants and bars.
It is a pleasure to know that your son enjoyed the football match. Our T/Kids is an opportunity for children to share great experiences.
We would like to thank your words dedicated to our staff, that we shared with them and they were very proud with your recognition.
We look forward to welcome you back on your next stay in Vilamoura.
Jorge Beldade

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (689)
  • Hungarian first
  • Slovak first
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed at the Tivoli Marina end of June/beg July for a week and didn't want to leave. Booked this through jet2 holidays which inc deluxe rooms but wasn't aware that different floors had different rooms so my advise firstly is to book the deluxe room as they are amazing. I emailed the hotel about 2 weeks before I went to request a sea view which upon check in we realised it was a sea view which instantly impressed us. You must join the GHA club which allows you to receive free wifi at all times as normally it's €15 it does say on your tv when you check your balance that it's on charged to your room but ignore that as they take this off when you check out. The only thring I would say on this is that maybe the staff should mention this at check in as you wouldn't know about it unless you read trip advisor. The location of the Tivoli is spot on, we stayed at the Crowne plaza last year and had a walk every night to the marina and shops so that's why this year decided to try the Tivoli.

Our room was on the 5th floor and overlooked the sea which was lovely to wake up (providing it was sunny) as we had a couple of overcast days but that can't be helped. We had a lovely lady everyday cleaning our room called Cecilia who was really sweet and friendly, loved the turn down service every night which you were left a couple of lovley chocolates! I had read on reviews that' breakfast was amazing and they weren't wrong, I was spoilt for choice every morning and loved the idea of freshly made omelettes on request. A special mention to Clara who came and asked if I wanted coffee to which I replied not just now thank you, but she remembered and came back and asked if I was ready for coffee later on which I thought was lovely to say the amount of people she must serve daily and to remember.

The pool area was lovely too and the staff were so efficient and friendly, and loved the happy hour sangria, very refreshing and a lot better then the normal sangria. Also the idea of the hotel supplying the towels for you is a nice touch, You can change them daily or when ever you feel they need changing.

We ate around the marina most nights and our favourites were Tako which is Japanese and the Mayflower so they are both worth a visit. Also being at the marina is a nice place to just sit and watch the world go by.

On our last night we dined in at Peppers Steakhouse in the hotel.... WOW the food is outstanding and was the icing on the cake for our stay. Best steak I have had and the service was brilliant too. The bar is a nice place to be either before you go out or after you've eaten. There is always some entertainment on too which is nice, the staff there are all really nice too and the female waitresses are really sweet and were always smiling.

Overall I would def give this hotel a 10/10 as we personally feel like the hotel and staff go out of their way to make your stay a pleasant and enjoyable one and we certainly will be returning to the Tivoli Marina again for sure!! We were sad to say goodbye!!

Room Tip: Deluxe Sea view rooms are best but Puro Beach plays music till early hours so this can be off puttin...
2 Thank Franx1
Thank you for sharing your Experience of staying at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura.
We are glad that your stay met your expectations and we would like to thank your kind words dedicated to our staff. It is always good to know that our efforts are recognized.
We look forward to welcome you back in a near future.
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

The place of the hotel is unique. From one of the sides the rooms have a sea view. From the other you can see the harbour. The hotel is old but renovated. The rooms are.good but I think there must be something more to be done in the other parts of the hotel for a 5 star one.
When I arrived my room was not ready on time. I waited 20 minutes on a queue and I had to wait one more time and still the room was not ready and I didnt receive apologize. Just I had to wait more time. My opinion is that they have to invest more time to properly educate their stuff. Otherwise the hotel and the location is good

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Jorge B, General Manager at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Martin,
Thank you for sharing your Experience of staying at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura.
We are pleased to know that you enjoyed our superb location with the sea on one side and the Marina on the other.
We sincerely apologize for the attitude of our staff and we would like to thank your comments so that we can continue to invest in their training.
Regarding the hotel areas we would just like to say that we are already planning some refurbishments.
We look forward to being able to welcome you back on your next stay in Vilamoura.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I've just got back from 9 throughly enjoyable days in Vilamoura with my family. A great place with great food, weather and people. The hotel on the whole is very good, I just feel the 5 star label it carries brings with it a certain sense of expectations, expectations that in my opinion the Tivoli in some cases meets and others falls short. I'll start with the good points. The hotel is large and spacious and accommodates well for the amount of guests, the pool area is large and the service around the pool is faultless. The hotels location couldn't be better, and in my opinion is why the hotel has 5 stars. Go out the front door you're faced with the marina, restaurants and bars, go out the back door and you're on the beach. Everything is on your doorstep, it really is in a great location. The hotel also has a tennis/football court, I played 5 asides with other guests almost every day in the late afternoon, the hotel provided water and ice for free. However, the staff facilitating the football often got to involved in the game arguing with the players (it actually got quite heated at one point) which is a bit unprofessional in my opinion. There was several occasions a guest would come late to the court and instead of the member of staff leaving the court to allow the guest to play they would make the guest sit and wait till the game had finished for them to then join in. Saying this they were on the whole very friendly and helpful guys . . we all enjoyed are afternoon game of football!

Other points that bugged me; The bar food which was ridiculously over priced for what it was came with crisps, a cheap alternative to chips in my opinion! Cutting corners isn't something a 5 star hotel should be doing really. We soon gave up on eating and drinking around the pool instead opting to make use of the great location and take a 2 minute stroll to the supermarket for a drink or a reasonably priced restaurant/bar for a bite to eat. I have no complaints about the room although they are nothing to sing and dance about, hair dryers from the middle ages which looked like an old computer stuck on the wall in the bathroom need binned off and new modern ones installed. Some floors seemed to have a modern design whilst others were old fashioned, in this sense depending on what floor you stayed on determined what type room you were going to get modern/old. They should all be the same it's this inconsistency which bugged me, it didn't cause me to lose any sleep and I throughly enjoyed my stay at the hotel but it has the potential to be perfect.

Other minor points would be breakfast is frantic, we opted to eat out in the morning in a more relaxed environment where you aren't rushing to claim a seat or someone to refill the orange juice. Check in was also a painful wait, they couldn't handle checking several people in so a que soon formed, not great for first impressions!

Overall a nice hotel in a great location . . . a few changes and updates and I would happily give it a 5 star rating to match the 5 stars it holds.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Half_Awake
Jorge B, General Manager at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your Experience of staying at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura.
We are glad to know that you enjoyed our superb location as well as the facilities we provided and we apologize for the mentioned inconveniences that might have disturbed you stay.
Regarding the football game, we would like to say that similar situations are not usual in the hotel. We sincerely apologize for the attitude of our staff and we thank you for your comments so that we can continue to invest in their training.
Concerning the rooms, we have two room categories, Classic and Deluxe. The room you stayed in is part of our Classic category which has a more traditional decoration but a generous 34m2 plus a spectacular sea or marina view and all Tivoli facilities.
We have taken full note of your comments and we will take them into consideration, since the continuous improvement of our services is an integral part of the hotel policy.
We look forward to welcome you back in a near future.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I Spent 11 nights here with my other half in june/july. Have stayed here quite a few times before but recently have been staying at the crowne plaza due to a few frustrations with the tivoli- however this time all was good. We Specified a sea view room and double checked that this would be the case before arriving and it was.
The reception staff were loads better than previously and the concierge have always been consistently excellent.
Breakfast service is great. No smoked salmon on show, but available if requested - and plenty of it.
Loud music at night from puro beach is annoying-maybe modern double glazing would help?
Overall a much improved experience at the Tivoli. One thing that would be great is if the staff didn't ask if it was your first visit on check in and before hand made an effort to look you up on the system and welcomed you back- just to make you feel valued.

My handy hints are:
take a travel kettle for hot drinks-jafers supermarket over the road sells milk ( and cheaper booze!)
Join the loyalty scheme for free wifi and newspaper- and a free room upgrade if you use it enough.
Book a deluxe room-if you don't it will be like you are in a totally different hotel.
Let them know if you are not happy about something, they will help you.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ilovegoodholidays
Thank you for sharing your Experience of staying at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura.
It was a pleasure to welcome you again in our hotel and to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We much appreciate your suggestion concerning double glazing and we will take it into consideration.
Regarding the staff, we would like to thank your comments so that we can continue to invest in their training.
We look forward to welcome you back on your next stay in Vilamoura.
Berkhamsted
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We returned today after a 7 day stay here, we were in a room on the 2 nd floor overlooking the marina. The room was clean but definatley needs upgrading, the carpet needed replacing, the hairdryer I haven't seen since the 1970's, for the week we stayed the room was not hoovered at all. The air conditioning unit was really noisy but as the marina is very loud at night it does at least disguise the noise.
I agree with other guests that to charge €2 for each nespresso capsule was over the top. The swimming pool was nice but way too small for the amount of guests, considering it's still out of school holiday times we were surprised that unless you had found a sunbed by 9.30 with the obligatory towel then you were unlucky. We used the beach hire further up the beach but for half a days hire of 2 sun beds and umbrella at €15 to €18 euros it's not cheap. Also beware as the 1/2 day rate only goes before 2 or after 2 so it doesn't matter if you pay at 12 you will only get 2 hours for your money. We actually went on a very dull day when all seats were empty and they still wouldn't let me pay at 12 to stay for 4 hours ???
Breakfast was well stocked but the quality wasn't good. Sit outside as the noise inside resembles a school canteen.
I would definitely recommend joining the loyalty scheme by picking up a leaflet at reception as it gives you free internet access and a daily newspaper.
There is a great choice of resturants around the marina and we enjoyed all of them.
We visited the spa at the hotel for a massage and facial and both were very good but quite expensive. We only did 1 trip which was to faro, only a half day trip which was quite enjoyable.
Wouldn't go back to this hotel but the marina was lovely

Room Tip: Try and book a renovated room and sign up to the loyalty programme
1 Thank Kim H
Jorge B, General Manager at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Kim,
Thank you for sharing your Experience of staying at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura.
We apologize for the inconveniences you mentioned and disturb it might have caused you.
The room you stayed in is part of our classic category which has more traditional decoration but a generous 34m2 and all Tivoli facilities. Nevertheless, we would like to say that we are planning to do some refurbishments during the next year.
The coffee and tea facilities, available in all rooms, provide our guests the possibility of enjoying a quality coffee or tea in the comfort of the room without moving to the bar.
Concerning the beach, we do have a concession in partnership with Purobeach and the facilities are charged as per the hotel commercial policy. However, there must have been a misunderstanding since our rates are daily, not half day, and the prices you mentioned are not in accordance with our price list.
We are sorry if our breakfast did not meet your expectations. We assure you that we give special attention to our breakfast service, in order to provide a range of quality products which are fitting for a hotel of our status. Your comments are very important for us and we shared them with our team so as to ensure ongoing improvement.
We look forward to being able to welcome you back, so that we can have another opportunity to provide you a pleasant experience.
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This Hotel is not 5 star. The rooms and decoration are very poor with stains on the carpet and old draws and cupboards that don't open or close properly. Old aluminium doors give access to the balcony but are difficult to slide. We were on the 7th floor and trying to get a lift most times was a nightmare as there are only 4 lifts which are old and slow, we ended up taking the stairs most of the time. The only positive is the location which is perfect but if you are thinking of staying in a Hotel in Vilamoura there are plenty that are a lot better value for money

Room Tip: My advice is to book another Hotel !!
1 Thank Carl M
Dear Carl,
Thank you for sharing your Experience of staying at Tivoli Marina Vilamoura.
We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you mentioned and disturb it might have caused you. We shared your comments with our maintenance team and we assure you that all steps have been taken to resolve the raised issues.
We have taken full note of your comments, which we thank you for, since the continuous improvement of our services is an integral part of the hotel policy.
Jorge Beldade
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamoura
Crowne Plaza Vilamoura - Algarve
#10 of 36 in Vilamoura
Dom Pedro Marina
Dom Pedro Marina
#9 of 36 in Vilamoura

Been to Tivoli Marina Vilamoura? Share your experiences!