“Good experience”

Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
Helsinki, Finland
“Good experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

This is a charming village outside inside it's less charming but nice anyway. We spent there two weeks and were satisfied. The ladies in the reception were helpful and nice. The cleaniness in the apartment could have been better. What is inside depends of the owner, I suppose, ours was quite worn out but suportable. This was low season, October, but in high season I would choose an apartment away from the vicinity of restaurants and bars as they can be quite noicy. (This was not our case.)
I must repeat the complaint of lack of WiFi in the area and cash payment should be more clearly indicated when booking the rooms. If you leave the payment to the last moment you may be in trouble.
Pari sanaa suomeksi. Alueelta löytyy hyviä tarjouksia talvikuukausiksi loka-helmikuu. Kannatta etsiä niitä. Varustetaso on suht riittävä ja kylä on viehättävä, vaikka huoneistot voivat olla hyvinkin remontin tarpeessa. Kaikki kuitenkin toimii ja sijainti on hyvä esim. golfareille. Vastaanotosta saa kierroksia hieman edullisempaan hintaan.

Room Tip: Next time I would choose an apartment facing the golf course. Though there's a street then in fr...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marja H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
walsall
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Just returned from 5 days at the old village, stayed here many times in several apartments. Grounds perfectly kept, staff so friendly in all rental offices and supermarket. Restaurants in general can be quite expensive for evening meals. Offers on for lunchtime I can recommend the sunflower on the marina for lunch. Best cake and coffee is at buondi in one of the back streets of quarteira approx 2 euros . We have been coming to vilamoura for many years and each year improvements are made. Beautiful relaxing place

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank madcownw5514
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

just returned from a weeks stay in the old village. we were allocated 23A church street a lovely studio with everything you needed for a weeks stay, everything in working order and spotlessly clean.All the staff around the old village from the restaurants to the little on site shop are really pleasant and helpful no moans there. I must say me and my husband loved the fact that we had no maid service for the week we could get up at our leisure and not worry that we were half way through a shower, which usually happens on holiday when you here the maids knocking. I always take extra towels so the fact that there are no towels changed is not a problem, and it takes two minutes to take rubbish to large bins dotted around the village.The old village is so very well kept and really pretty all the pools are spotlessly clean and well ran, there are are some lovely restaurants on site the casa do largo have some really good meal deal offers including a drink. The walk down to the marina is very pleasant and only takes about fifteen minutes. Once down at the marina there are numerous bars and restaurants offering a large range of international dishes. The beeches are just beautiful and you can walk for miles stopping at the odd beach bar for a drink or snack. The Portugal masters was on while we were there so we spent a day watching some top golfers which was great. There are lots of things to do in villamoura apart from golf, there is a big tennis club with an onsite pizza restaurant, bike hire, pony trekking, water sports, fishing, firing range etc. Have already booked up for next year cant wait.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dollywagon
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Well, firstly let me echo guitarman47's comments about the Scottish 'lady'. Imagine the worst battleaxe that Coronation Street has ever thrown up and treble it. Customers - except those that fawn over her, are a hindrance. Shame as the cafe is good and the males there are very helpful. Good wifi. Anyway ................ we arrived to a booking shambles. Initially we had booked a two bedroom apartment but changed that to three bedrooms when another friend decided to join us (we were there for the Portugal Masters and to play locally). Whilst we had confirmations of the initial booking, the canx and the three bedroom booking the reception did not. They were helpful in changing our booking to a three bedded but withing three hours we were told that we had to move as that one had 'been rented by the owner'. They moved our items so no real problem and the apartment we eventually ended up in was far superior except for the interiors. Our impressions are that all the apartments here are shabby. The ones we saw were very tired internally. Shame, as the complex is very smart. See my separate review of Princess restaurant. One point of thought ........ they always seemed to want cash and said that the machine wasn't working. I wonder how much of the €€€ taken on rentals actually reaches the owners. Am I being cynical???

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Mike G
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

On first impressions the Old Village is very clean and attractive. However, after talking to several people, one needs to be careful about choice of apartment--location and state of apartment: it is not as upmarket as it first appears. Our worst experience was the downright rudeness of a Scottish waitress at the Casa do Largo cafe. Having enquired about the 45 minute wait for a sandwich, her attitude was beyond belief together with a face of annoyance for me daring to ask. Full of Brits holidaying or working--upmarket it ain't!!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank guitarman47
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

The Old Village, Vilamoura, is considered an upmarket* complex of rental / residential apartments and villas, restaurants, bars and a shop or two, located just under a kilometre from the main marina area. It's an undemanding walk between the two.

The Old Village is extremely easy on the eye with well maintained public areas and grounds. It's safe and relatively quiet - apart from the odd wedding or two and drunken golfing groups.

Several letting agents handle the rental property. This review concerns OV International.

I booked as a last-minute thing, a week before departure through Hotels.com - a company I have had a great deal of satisfaction with earlier this year across multiple booking. I booked a 2-bedroom, ground floor apartment (5A Village Square, as it turned out). I wanted a studio, but at this late stage, there was little choice.

These apartments are individually furnished - I assume to the owners' own taste/budget. Basic facilities, equipment and services are provided. Hotels.com publish the list - which includes a room safe (without any further qualifications).

Cancellation penalty was 50%, and I submitted my credit card details upon booking, as requested. I subsequently found a studio apartment through another agent, but the cancellation penalty prevented me from pursuing it further.

Upon arrival I was told that this was a cash only deal. "Cash", as in hard readies, spondoolies, filthy lucre - no debit or credit cards. I was not made aware of this whilst booking though Hotels.com. So why the need for my credit card details during booking? Suddenly I was responsible for having to stump up 749€ in cash within the week. I had only travelled with 350€ spending money so I had little option but to walk down the hill and across the common to withdraw the daily limit of 200€ from the nearest ATM. Therefore, of my 6 full days in the area, I had to schedule 4 daily trips to an ATM. This was extremely inconvenient. The agent had a well-rehearsed response to the incredulity of those checking in and not quite believing their ears.

Contrary to the Hotels.com spec, room safes were not included, and the additional cost was about 17€ for the week. A returnable deposit of 20€ was also required for access to the 3 pools - and the poolside sun-loungers were a further non-returnable cost of about 1.50€ or so.

I did contact Hotels.com to ask why they hadn't let on (so to speak) that this was a cash deal, and that it had also misrepresented the room safe costs. They were apologetic, but maintained that it was out of their hands. They did say that the safes are an "amenity", therefore classed as an "extra", but this was not self-evident from their web page.

I was informed that OV International had absolutely no credit card facilities. In that case, surely I COULD have cancelled and booked the studio apartment after all, because, had I not been there in person to give them cash, OVI would surely not have had the facility to charge 50% cancellation! Or did they?

5A Village Square is average size with an east-facing patio - great for morning tan top-ups. The bedrooms have sufficient space to walk around the beds - but only just. However, the low sticky-out wall lights protrude into this space, rather than positioned over the beds. Two were almost detached from the walls - where I assume people had walking into them.

Generally the apartment was tired and in need of a comprehensive update. It looked grimy. The turquoise throw on the sofa needed throwing, as did the shower head over the bath. The plastic sun-lounger on the patio had lounged about once too often! There was no air-conditioning, and it wouldn't have taken much force to the break in through the patio doors. I just had to put my faith in the Old Village security - which appeared efficient and omnipresent.

I wished that we'd established the ground rules at the outset. Loo paper wasn't replaced, and I had to purchase my own from the excellent "on campus" supermarket. Towels were not laundered during the 7 days. As I was a single person in a 4-people apartment, I did, at least, have another 3 sets of fairly thin, scratchy towels to plough through.

The broken kitchen bin was emptied on my second day - and that was it. I used carrier bags from the supermarket as bin liners and took them to the recycle area once full. There was no evidence of any cleaner activity, although I may be maligning them unnecessarily.

I have short grey hair (as in "male"). Long black hairs on all the flooring supported my theory about the uneventful cleaning services.

A couple of light bulbs were not working, whilst small black ants loved every crumb that I was not vigilant enough to detect and destroy.

Friends of mine were also on holiday in the Old Village at the same time. They booked a 3-bed apartment though a different agent. For roughly the same cost per bedroom, this was a well maintained, tastefully furnished, beautiful property in Rua da Escócia. So it goes to show - it's not location, location, location - it's agent, agent, agent!

Having said all of that, I felt comfortable in an unthreatening environment and enjoyed my stay. I will certainly return to the Old Village, although I would first look to see what other agents are offering - establishing the ground rules in advance.

*Upmarket is a relative term. People holidaying here are not "old money". Old money types tend to want something a little more individual and less collective - which probably rules out Vilamoura, full stop

Room Tip: Ask for an apartment in Rua da Escócia
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Ansel S
inverness
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

We went 1st sep for 9 days. Security chap showed us our apart and was very efficient. Ground floor studio, 12, lovely, modern and very clean, everything u need and more. (Did my washing before I came home). Unfortunately no outside seating area, which for us was a BIG let down, breakfast on the veranda/balcony? No, unfortunately not :-(
We had air con and very good cleaners which was great but after 25 years of holidaying I will ask about outdoor space. The complex is lovely, nice pools but grudged paying for sun loungers. Ate in princess gardens and Zanzibar and they were lovely.
Vilamoura is lovely bit a bit too commercialised for me.

• Stayed September 2013