“Clean, relaxing and a lot of fun”

Pestana Vila Sol, Vilamoura
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night during a bus tour across Spain and Portugal. Let me tell you, I wish we had stayed here for a week. It is amazing!

The rooms are more like little condos, attached to one another in different sections. We were in section 15. The room (1501) was large, clean and modern. We had a very large bed (King size) and a lovely spacious bathroom. The air conditioning worked wonderfully as well. I had a wonderful night's sleep. We also had a patio area with chairs.

I was looking forward to this pool and it did not disappoint. We stayed there during the week, so it was not crowded. There were plenty of chairs and towels for everyone. The pool is large so there is plenty of space to swim around. Make sure to ask for your towel card back after you are done with your towels, because you need to give it back at check-out.

Wifi is available for free in the lobby area only, but there are about a dozen sofas for people to sit and relax.

We decided to opt out of the buffet dinner that was served that night at the hotel. Instead, we chose to have a few tapas and drinks at the pool bar. Later, we came up to the main bar close to the lobby and had Portuguese appetizers, sandwiches and drinks. The food was excellent and the service was lovely. It took quite a while to get our food however, but the bar tender/waiter was so nice to us that we did not mind waiting around.

The buffet breakfast was included in our stay and was wonderful. There were a ton of options. There is a crepes and omelette bar that I completely missed. Make sure to look for it when you go in.

The only down side to this hotel is that it is not centrally located. So if you want to go out and explore, you need to take a shuttle (I think the hotel offers one) or a taxi.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ptitefunambule

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We have just returned from our wedding in Loulé Church with our reception in Pestana Vila Sol. It is the such a beautiful hotel and the service was exceptional. There is absolutely nothing that we could fault about this hotel. The rooms, the service, the breakfast, the food, the bar and the pool were all amazing!

We looked at some of the different hotels and marquees and decided that we liked the look of Pestana Vila Sol. We met Aurea who organises weddings in the hotel. Aurea was so nice to deal with and gave us all of the information we needed. Aurea could not be there for the wedding and instead Ligia helped in the few days before the wedding. She was so helpful and would have done anything to help us. Overall, the staff in the hotel were exceptional!

On the day of the wedding they sent golf caddies to bring us to reception! After the mass, we had a beautiful cocktail reception and after that the meal took place on a terrace looking out over the golf course. The views were fantastic! On the night of the wedding, the bar stayed open as late as we wanted and the dj stayed playing music until 4am! It took place in the golf club so the noise did not affect other guests. When we returned to our room, they had left champagne and strawberries for us!

We will definitely return to this hotel and we will never forget the time that we spent there! We only wish that we could do it all over again!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sandra C
Reviewed 6 July 2013

This large five-star resort features charming villas with lovely grounds surrounding a huge pool with a waterfall. The villas are very comfortable and have well-appointed bathrooms and individual patios. We had a mini bar and a safe as well as a large closet. We did not use the 27 hole golf course but did take a cab into the town of Vilamoura which was fun for lunch and strolling around the harbour on such a beautiful day. The food in the hotel dining room was very good (dinner and breakfast buffet) and the service overall was exceptional. There was no wifi available and the advertised spa was in reality a gym with massages available. The poolside bar was pleasant but overall the resort seemed empty and a bit forlorn even though the décor could not be faulted.

Room Tip: All the villas are charming and comfortable but possibly being farther away from the pool and bar wo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Janet C
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in June as a very last minute booking after our holiday to France got cancelled due to air traffic controller strikes! To be honest I think we got lucky with this trip as we probably had a better time herre than we may have had in Nice!

Initially we were put in a twin room, which I think was a consequence of our last minute booking. When we raised this with the reception staff they bent over backwards to rearrange things and we were swiftly moved to another room. The room was spacious, pleasantly decorated, and with an enormous and very comfortable bed. The bathrooms were large and very well appointed, and the balcony was large and had a great view out over the golf courses and the hotel's fish pond. Perfectly oriented for a bit of post-breakfast sunbathing too, which was nice!

We only used the restaurant for breakfast so couldn't comment on the evening meals, but the breakfast buffets had an enormous choice of good quality fresh produce, and the was a chef on hand to prepare anything you wanted cooked should you so desire. Very impressed! We ate at the pool bar for a light lunch on a couple of occasions, and the food was decent and freshly cooked so no complaints there either. The staff in the restaurant, at the poolside, and in the bar on the evening were all extremely friendly and professional.

Didn't have any golf clubs with me so didn't sample the golf courses on offer, but they looked great from what I could see! If I was wanting a relaxing golf retreat this hotel seems to fit the bill perfectly.

Location-wise it was a few kilometres away from the hustle and bustle of Vilamoura town centre and marina, which means the place was always very peaceful and relaxing. Only downside of this is that it's not really walking distance to anywhere, so hiring a car as we did is highly recommended, otherwise you'll be forever ordering taxis to and from the marina and beach!

Overall my wife and I thorougly enjoyed our stay here and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Everything at the hotel was of high quality, from the room to the food to the pools. I especially thought all the staff we came across were extremely good, perfectly striking the right balance between friendliness and professionalism.

Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank JandL212
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I liked this hotel. Good atmosphere, exceptionally clean and the staff were very friendly and accommodating - a real asset to the hotel.

It doesn't have the 'wow' factor of the Lake Resort but then you're not paying £200 a night to stay here! Garden style rooms were great with a romantic, log cabin feel about them (wood roof). All in all a nice place to stay and would use this hotel again. My only gripe is that wireless Internet was only available in the lobby and reception areas.

Room Tip: I'd personally op for a garden room rather than a standard hotel room as it has a nicer, resort...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Having just arrived back from this hotel I only have good things to say. I was moved to this hotel as there was a mix up in my booking. I do not think this could have worked out any better for us. My husband wanted to play golf and there was a 27 hole course. He played this course 4 days out of the 5 although he did not pay for the buggy. Our accomdation was excellent and the complex was large and clean. Yes the rooms could do with wi-fi but isn't it nice to get away? I would just like to say a BIG thank you to all the staff (especially the front desk) for making our stay so wonderful.

Breakfast was the same each morning but there was plenty to eat, I did not try the spa but I did enjoy the pool.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shrimp23
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Travelling with my wife, my mate and his wife, we booked this 5 night trip based on 2 previous visits to the Hotel/Resort, the last time being 2 years ago. We recommended to our friends when considering the Hotel facilities, the quality and size of the pool, the service throughout the resort and for the quality and challenge of the golf course.
We've stayed in the Tivoli on the Marina on 3 occasions, and as great as it is, and its is, however just different...Vila Sol is better located for the proximity to the cracking Championship Course, although the other Vilamoura courses are all within 5 to 10 Mins via Shuttle or car of the hotel. As most of the previous reviews state, 5 to 10 Mins maximum in a taxi at 10 Euros is more than acceptable.
The Hotel rooms are very good, always clean, huge double bed.. HUGE..., limited stock in mini- bar, no tea/coffee in room also a minor issue. Very good breakfast, in fact, my memory of the restaurant was that it could probably do with a bit of a refurbishment, there may have been previous comments to that effect, however, the bench style seating along the interior walls had all been replaced, as had all the tables and chairs, my guess at fairly reasonable expense, good work.
The exterior of the building, pool-side is a bit imposing, again I felt previously this could do with a lick of paint, this has clearly been completely re-painted, well-done. So time and effort had been spent in areas that are noticeable to most, when simply looking around.
The clubhouse, service was a bit slowish, however the girls were very busy and always served with a smile, so no issue with that, the beer was cold and just what was needed, as for almost 6 full days, there wasn't even half a wisp that could be classed as a cloud, 33 to 38 all week.. got our moneys worth out of the weather.
For anyone that has been previously, the old golf reception at the entrance to the clubhouse and the sort of pro-shop !! with limited clothing, has been replaced with a brand-new classic Pro-shop, I think it may in fact be a Nevada Bob's outlet, however a fully stocked pro-shop, just what was missing, again, great investment.
The course, all 27 holes were as challenging and well presented as usual, a wee bit warm to walk all 4 rounds, so we buggied the final round at 38 degrees, at a discounted rate of 20 Euros, as opposed to 12 for 2 trollies, well worth the additional 8 for a smooth buggy with built-in Sat-Nav.
My mate wants to go back next year, we'll see. Highly recommended, any review is of course subjective, it all depends on your expectations, maybe what you're used to and the reasons for going, go.. and enjoy it for what it is. If your used to the rolling plains of the Serengeti and herds of Wildebeest grazing in the night sky.... probably not for you. Or Palace of the Lost City in Sun City SA, you may have unreal expectations, Vila Sol isn't that, and why should it be, its Vila Sol.
TIP... When taking the Shuttle to the Beaches in Vilamoura, 3 drop-offs AM, around 9, 10 & 11 am and 3 pick-ups from around 4.15 onwards, make sure you book your place with the Reception, 3 years now I've witnessed individuals arguing with the driver about getting on, when everyone else has booked, embarrassing for all concerned. each time, it seems to be large families trying to squeeze on, the Shuttle will only take around 12 maximum, they will return for additional people, however the delay will be around 30 mins... BOOK IT.

Room Tip: Ask for room in Hotel facing Golf Course, 4th Floor, away from Car Park, views directly at the Drivi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple