“Mixed Bag with this one”

Pestana Vila Sol, Vilamoura
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
Lanarkshire
“Mixed Bag with this one”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

To set this up, i have a place in Vila Sol and needed an overnight as someone was staying at mine so chose the Pestana. I have been in the hotel many, many times but this was my first overnight.

The hotel is billed as 5 star but it doesnt come anywhere near 5 star in my opinion. Its very quiet, the front views of a dirty "lake" are not great and the rooms are a little tired.

I have to comment on the service though. Due to the hire car having no boot lid cover, i had to take 3 cases in to the hotel. The 2 chaps on the front desk couldnt have been nicer and check in was a pleasure. They had my cases up at the room in minutes and the next morning, after a call, they were up, down and packed into my waiting car. The bartender was also excellent. Made everybody in the bar feel very welcome and a lot of personal touches which always makes an experience.

I cant really comment much more on the rooms but to help you understand my scoring.

The rooms got 3/5
The service got 5/5

Overall 4/5

I only paid £75 a night and i certainly wouldnt pay anymore.

PS - I didnt venture to the pool area which to be fair always looks beautiful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank leedylan1998

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Finnish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed in a superior garden room at this Hotel, having stayed at other Pestana Hotels with satisfaction. This in my opinion is not a five star Hotel. The rooms are some two hundred yards from the main Hotel, with no tea or coffee making facilities in the room. Meaning you have a long walk to the restaurant, our room was left unlocked while we were out. The restaurant staff were unfriendly, and on occasions unhelpful. We would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Ideal for Golfers, not families or couples.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 June 2014

my wife and I stayed here in late may for 4 nights. we arrived very late as our flight was delayed. we were shown to our room which was a twin room though we had booked a double. we rang and asked to change but unfortunately there was no other room available that night but we were assured that this would be sorted the following morning, which it was with a smile. very nice room, giant king sized bed, big balcony with loungers with a lovely view over the golf course. breakfast was good, plenty of everything you might want. we made full use of the facilities which are all very conveniently located. we played tennis, ping pong and just chilled out by the pool which was very nice. one niggle I had was the sun loungers. they are not very comfortable to be honest and could do with some cushions to relax on. the hotel bar has no atmosphere, it's really just an extension of the lobby and a bit anonymous really. if you do stay here, you really need a car as it's a bit out of vilamoura. at night we took taxis for about €9 one way which I didn't mind paying cos for a similar standard of hotel in the town it was nearly twice the price so you should save a lot on the cost of the hotel to make up for that. the resort is really great, staff could not be more helpful, and I loved the grounds and the setting on the golf course. 5 stars from me!!

Room Tip: book the cheapest room which is a classic double. they are all on the top floor with the best views...
1 Thank davidc1981
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Having just returned to this resort , we went with Monach , but I do not want anyone who thinks it would be a luxurious break to be let down the way my daughter and I were.
If you play golf then fine , breakfast ok 3 star grounds very grand , pool as the picture the showers don't work and the tray you walk through id dirty , rooms 3/4 we had the company of ants and flys all over the bath and sinks on our return from the worst meal I have every had anywhere never mind a 5 star hotel , menu was
Starters. Fish soup, Or 3 pineapple cubes wrapped in ham, Or prawn cocktail .
Main , Salmon with rice Or chicken leg with veg. Or pasta.
Dessert, Tinned fruit cocktail& ice cream. A plate of fruit. Or cheese and biscuits .

My daughter and I had the pineapple , the ham was hard to eat we managed the cubes of pineapple ,
For our main we had Chicken legs , that was 5 mini chicken drumsticks 2 pieces of frozen broccoli , and a spoon of dry potatoes, when I managed to cut in the dried up chicken they were still bloody .
As you can imagine we did not eat anything else , they offer the 1st & 3trd choice but by this time we had had enough and left
We complained to the manager next day but did nothing .
Luckily for us our travel company where great and made it possible to go in villamoura for our last 3 nights to get a really 5star meal .
There are other thing but enough said so Thomsons please don't send anyone there out of season
Because 5star it is not and it cost you 10 euros each way in villamoura for us it was worth the extra taxi fares . If you want real 5 star the crown plaza is just that . Good luck to any one booked in there , that are not golfers

Room Tip: We had to be moved from room 1005 at 10.30 pm because of the amount of ants and flys , it was a ok r...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Joan K
cork
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This hotel is worth a visit well laid out spacious excellent helpful staff plus good food and an extensive well priced wine list. The golf and tennis facilities are good and the pool areas excellent.
One minor negative 5 euro charge for water available in supermarkets for 80 cents OTT.

Room Tip: Pick a room with evening sun in the balcony
liverpool
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Having just returned from Pestana Vila sol golf resort Algarve, Booked with Yourgolf travel, What a great place I booked this for 8 golfers, Normally we stay at hotels and get transfers to golf courses but this time I chose to pick to stay on the course Vila Sol, (with the help of Yourgolf travel advice) what a great choice, The check in was great, bed and breckfast, and breckfast plenty to pick from and hotel so clean 5star, The staff were very helpful, Having stayed for 5 nights and 3 rounds of golf, 2 at Vila sol and 1 at vale da pinta, We got our a transfer to Vale da pinta just to break it up a bit (Course was great) But Vila Sol staying on course was so relaxing having breckfast then maybe a swim before our Tee times at 12.30ish, After the game a few drinks on the course and just take Clubs upto rooms less stress staying on course, Then We,d get a mini-bus into Vilamora Marina a meal and few drinks Brilliant days, We actually looking to book for next year, But guest list is getting high no problem though, Group of 8 is ideal maybe 12, I booked one time for 20 but hard to get Tee times together apart waiting for them to come off course, So I will certainly be booking soon Thanks again Yourgolf Travel and Pestana Vila sol

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank brzville
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Advertised as 5star but not that good. Possibly a good 3, or 4 star at a push. Menu not that extensive but what was available was fine, other than the deserts which were poor.
Saving grace was the staff who were great. We went to play golf and we're not disappointed, course in great condition if a little tight. Not sure that I would return to this area.

2 Thank Jackie M