“Great break”

Hotel Apartamentos do Golf
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
“Great break”
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I have just returned from a break at this hotel with my husband and a couple of friends. We found the hotel very clean and comfortable. It is a little out of town however, they do supply a bus to take you down to the beach or marina a few times during the day. The cost of taxis are very reasonable approx 6 euros if you decide to travel indepenately. The food in the restaurant is very good and we found it good value for money, we never had a bad meal during our stay. One of our party partookof breakfast and found this to be good value. With regard to the staff everyone from the receptionist to the maids, were very helpful. A special mention has to go to Ferando for his excellent service and attention to detail that he displayed, he is an asset to the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Christina R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Overall experience spoilt by the totally unacceptable behaviour of the receptionist, Campos! The rudest and most arrogant person I have ever come into contact with during 40 years working in the hotel and tourism industry. Conversely, Elsa is a perfect example of a truly professional hotel receptionist.

The other staff where friendly and mostly helpful. The breakfast selection was quite good but the quality of ingredients is poor. The hot food was served tepid, which is both unpleasant and a serious health risk.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank VientianeGolfer
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Couldn't complain. Clean tidy room and hotel. Staff friendly and helpful. As previous comments have said maybe a little bit to far from the golf and marina. However courtesy bus service was very good and taxis reasonable to the marina - approx 6/7 euros. Only minor point was the food was not to inspiring. Better eating at the marina. Overall my impression of the hotel was very good.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Wirral
Reviewed 26 September 2012

WHERE DO I START - We have just enjoyed one of the best holidays in the sun for a long time . The staff at this complex were extremely professional, polite and very friendly, from the reception staff to the maids. Hotel Do Golf maybe a little too far from the Marina but the courtesy bus and taxis were no problem, the food in the hotel was reasonably priced and good quality with the bar opening till late. The Pool Bar had Sky Sports on and all the major games showed. Our room 526 was huge for 1 Bedroom self catering with 2 balconies, good kitchen fully equipped, my only drawback no freezer compartment for the ice for drinks The pool was brilliant its the only holiday when I have not to get up at 7am to get a sunbed, there was plenty of them all day with nice comfy cushions. My husband played Golf quite a few times with good clubs hired from the airport and a good package for the courses, the complex had lots of golfers and myself as a non player had the pool to myself !!! Would I recommend this Hotel, I certainly would they make you feel special as they are aware they are about an 1hrs walk to the centre, but the Taxis are around 7 Euros for a 10 min journey to the Marina. If you go to the Marina it is stunning, we never had a bad meal, the best steak was from Arts by the Olympic Hotel, there are plenty of restaurants with different selections and bar - and the lovely boats as a backdrop.
The Beach is another great place to visit for the day, the Beach Bar was great for snacks and a drink, the courtesy bus runs from 10.30 every day for the Golfers and the non golfers
Would I go back -
My only complaints were was no free WIFI , and a later bus back from the Marina later than 5.10pm, probably 8pm would be better.
Try this a very reaonably priced Self Catering Hotel, better than 3 stars I would say 4 star
We will be back

Room Tip: Go for 526 for size 1 Bed Apartment
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank WirralGabby
Yorkshire
Reviewed 9 September 2012

You cant complain. Very clean with maids visiting daily to make beds and give clean towels. The restaurant is a little expensive however, there is a shop about 15 mins walk away so you can get bread rolls and stuff for lunch which saves the pennies.
If you want to be near the Marina then this isnt for you as it is a taxi journey at about 7 euros, there is a shuttle bus but its a little early for late diners.
Sometimes, getting a sunbed was a bit of an issue but to be fair, that was only on a couple of days.
Friendly staff and good all round value for money.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2012

My partner and I stayed here for a week half board. I will start with the plus points...

The room was bright and spacious and the maid visited daily.

The pool was clean enough most days and large enough for plenty of guests.

The grass around the pool is much nicer than a mass of concrete.

There was about the right amount of sunbeds for guests.

Sunbeds could be coupled with supplied cushions making them much more comfortable.

The staff were generally good, nothing exceptional.

There was a fridge in the room.

And the negatives...

Staff do not ask "how is the food?" or "can I get you another drink?" etc. (I get around this by ordering a couple of drinks each at the start so you don't have to track them down.

The staff used an extremely loud and smelly leave blower for about 2.5 hours on 2 separate days to blow away a very small layer of hedge cuttings (hedge trimmer was also loud but they did it at night), it was the same as sunbathing with someone sitting revving up a massive motorbike right next to you. A brush would be an inifitely more considerate and effective choice!

I emailed about 3 weeks prior to visiting and asked for an upper floor room with a nice balcony view. I got a ground floor room with a ridiculously rubbish view.

The balcony door was nearly impossible to open and then re-lock due to the handle buttons being extremely stiff and the locking technique requiring a big slam and button push at the same time! My partner couldn't even open it at all so I had to do it for her every time. We only used the balcony to dry clothes and towels because the view was rubbish.

The bathroom needed a good scrub with bleach to get rid of the mega mildew in the tile grouting.

Our apartment was below the car park and so the bathroom window had to remain 100% shut to stop people walking by looking in (very easy to do!) It also meant the noisy scooters/cars woke you up at all hours.

The aircon was rather weak. We left it on up full every day (spare card in the slot) and it was just about adequate. It didn't actually regulate a constant temperature (IE: it was only low, medium or high despite having a celsius measurement) and so we woke up freezing on a couple of nights.

The safe was 14 euros a week which is tight considering they just remove the lock barrel until you pay for it, pretty ridicuous not to just include it.

There was no freezer compartment in the fridge.

The breakfast was pretty average, budget cereal, very budget bacon, the orange juice and toast were nice though.

The food was terrible on some nights. My first night I ordered "black grouper fish" and it was the worst thing I've ever received from a restaurant, completely overcooked and tasteless, my partner tried it and also hated it. One night there was a pork and mushroom sauce thing that was actually very nice.

The half board menu was always as follows:

Starter: Soup or salad
Main: Fish or chicken/beef
Dessert: Cheap mass-produced cakes that tasted oily

On the last night we asked if we could order from the normal menu and we were told we could only order some stuff which was fair enough, wish we'd asked on day one! Hotel Management: If you are willing to aloow that you should make it clear because it would make the food choice much more pleasant, some nights we almost asked for just soup because the choice was rubbish.

You got chips with nearly every meal, I was actually so sick of them by the end of the holiday!

The free shuttle bus didn't turn up one day and someone eventually called the hotel to ask why and it turned up about 1.5 hours later!

The beds were literally SOLID; the hardest bed I have ever slept in. Both of us found them pretty uncomfortable.

Nothing to do with the hotel but the marina taxi queue took about 30 minutes of waiting before we got to a taxi!

Summary:

I wouldn't return to the hotel or recommend it but I wouldn't go out my way to discourage anyone from trying it out.

If you want to go do not go half board. The dinner food menu was still limited but had much more choice than the measly option 1 or option 2 for the half board "menu"! The normal menu was priced fine and so I strongly discourage choosing half board.

Hire a car, the parking is ample and unless you want to just go to the marina or beach then you are stuck.

Room Tip: I think they're all pretty average but try not to get a left hand side one with the car park dir...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ABReview
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2012

We needed a hotel for a one night stay in Vilamoura prior to checking-in to our villa. This reeasonably priced hotel is in an excellent location (next to the Old Course), has very friendly staff and a good size pool. The one bedroom rooms are spacious and the pool is a good sized. The food wasn't particularly appealing but there are more than enough restaurants in Vilamoura itself.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family