“LOVED This Hotel and Vilamoura” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa

Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
New Jersey
“LOVED This Hotel and Vilamoura”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights after a lot of running around Spain, and this was SO relaxing. The minute we pulled up, I could tell this was going to be a really nice hotel. The staff was very helpful, and the hotel definitely had the feel of a 5 star. We were staying here on hotel points, so it was free (which was also great). My husband is Hilton gold, so they gave us a number of really nice perks upon arrival. We got a free wireless internet code everyday, we got free access to the spa's facilities--pools, steam baths, saunas, etc (I believe otherwise this is a 35 Euro/person charge), access to a quieter pool outdoors, and free breakfast every morning in either the Hilton Honors guests' dining room or the regular breakfast room. They also originally gave us a nice room overlooking the garden with a porch. The problem with our room was that it was a non-smoking room, and whoever had been in it prior to us had not adhered to that rule. The smell was suffocating. I called downstairs, and immediately someone came up. They agreed about the smell and said they would see what they could do as the hotel was pretty much full. The person came back a short while later with a new key, and helped me move my luggage to the new room. The new room was an AMAZING. I kept asking if we were going to have to pay something extra for it because it was so nice! We had 1.5 bathrooms--the larger had a shower and then a hot tub with a tv over it, a living/dining room, the bedroom, a huge closet, a buttler's pantry with a sink, 2 sliding doors, and a deck that ran the length of the room with a little bump-out patio with seating (really relaxing at night), and a view over the golf course. The hotel staff really went above and beyond to make sure that we were happy. I cannot say enough about them. The service was definitely 5 star and my room was 6!
In general, I felt that our room was very clean (even the hot tub seemed to be cleaned well). However, I do have one negative comment that has to do with this. My husband witnessed the cleaning woman wipe out our used coffee cups with a dirty rag and then put them back on the tray for us to use again. That completely grossed me out (especially because I had used it the previous day). I would recommend not using them or cleaning them really well yourself because that's just disgusting. It's a very small thing overall, though, and it would definitely not deter from me rating the place at a 5+.

Food: The breakfast was really good. You could get eggs made to order, and just about anything else you could think of from french toast to pancakes to meats, cheese, yogurts, fruits, pastries, breads, potatos, cereals, juices, capuccinos, etc. We ate in each of the 2 breakfast rooms once because the regular room opened at 7am and the Hilton Honors one didn't open until 8. We found the selection to actually be better in the regular dining room, but the Honors one was quieter. (Would pick the regular one if I was picking.)
We ate lunch by the pool one day. This was the only thing I found disappointing during our stay. The options were lacking, the food was very pricey, and it had very little taste. The shrimp in the salad I ordered were microscopic. Also, we ordered iced tea and each got a can of nestea (not what I was expecting) which were 3.50 Euros each--a little pricey. We ate dinner in town both nights and ended up at a thai place called Thai. It was out of the touristy mess of the waterfront (where places try to force you to eat at their restaurants). We liked the food a lot, and the prices were pretty reasonable for a resort town. We walked around the waterfront for fun, but ended up buying an ice cream just so the restaurants would stop trying to get us to eat at their places.

Transportation: The hotel had free parking both in a garage underneath it, and outside along the hotel. We had our own car, so we drove into town at night (on-street parking and parking lots, but you MUST pay and put the ticket in your car window or risk being booted, we saw a car that way while we were there). Parking in town at night can be difficult and crowded. The hotel ran a shuttle from 7:30 until 9:30 which might be useful to utilize.
Also, at the beach, the hotel has their own chairs, umbrellas, towels, etc there which you could use for free, you just brought a card they gave at check-in to collect the towels. We drove there, but there was also a shuttle from the hotel that went there. The beach was really nice (the water was freezing, though).

Spa: This was probably the nicest hotel spa I've ever seen. They have a circuit of pools and jacuzzis, rain showers, a steam bath, dry sauna, aroma sauna, etc. It was so relaxing. We ended up going twice in the same day (was free for gold members when we were there, a really great perk). I definitely recommend spending some time here.

Golf & Location: The airport was only a 30 minute drive from the hotel, town was probably a 30 min walk, but we always just drove, and the beach wasn't much more than that. Most importantly for my husband, the place was SURROUNDED with great golf courses. He had trouble even picking where he wanted to play. He ended up playing at the course directly next to the hotel one day, and the Victoria course the other day (a 5 minute drive away). The courses all had an amazing off-season deal going on where any tee times after 11am were at a discounted rate AND included a free golf cart and clubs (he hadn't brought his on the trip). He said both course were very nice (the Victoria was definitely the nicer, though--they play a PGA event there). Another thing about the area we really liked was that English was very prevalent. From the locals to the huge amount of British people on vacation to the signs in restaurants, it had a very strong presence. He said everyone he golfed with had English as their first language. Also, in Portugal (unlike Spain) they subtitle their TV rather than dubbing it, so we had a lot more options of things to watch at night besides the news which was a very welcome change. I think overall, we would definitely return to Vilamoura (and the hotel) in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank meghan429

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Fleet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

We (parent and 16yrs daughter) recently stayed at the Hilton in Vilamoura for 10 nights and we had a great time.
Being HHonours diamond certainly helped (free access to the best SPA services you can dream of) but the location, service and accomodations are top class.
The staff is brilliant, the beach is massive and night entertainment in town good locally and in the various locations nearby..
if you like nightlife, Albufeira is short distance and surely can satisfy difficult people..
You can get very good deals (for this type of 5 star accomodations..) if you look early at available offers.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HiltonVilamoura, Director of Operations at Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Dear guest,

Great to read that you found our hotel to be "ideal" for your past summer vacation. We would also like to thank your for your loyalty to Hilton and spending your vacation with us.

I am very happy to read that by booking early you were able to have a very good deal.

Looking forward to personally welcoming you back to our resort,

With warm regards,

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

Great spot to bring the family for a summer holiday. 3 pools and friendly staff.
Reasonably frequent minibus service to the beach. Reserved area on the beach for hotel guests which is great but the beach bar food is exp and below par. (€10 salad and I asked if I could have a slice of bread and they said no!!)

• Stayed August 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
Dear guest,

Thank you for commenting on your summer stay at the Hilton Vilamoura. I am pleased to see that you rated us with "very good".

I have taken note of your comments about our beach bar. The answer received on your request of bread has been thoroughly discussed within all operational departments and taken as an example of lacking in the correct service attitude that we thrive for at the Hilton Vilamoura.

Kind regards,

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

This was surprise from my boyfriend. Beautiful swimming facilities. Fantastic restaurants - felt altogether pampered!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your "very good" rating of the Hilton Vilamoura. We do our best to please all of our guests and am happy to hear that we managed to make you feel "pampered".

Sunny regards,

Ballymena, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

I have just returned from a 7 night stay with my wife and 2 kids aged 7 and 4.

The hotel is everything you would expect of a Hilton hotel, the rooms were top class (junior suite) and cleaned daily to a very high standard. Contemporary by design. The paramoramic lift is quite special with views over pool.

The staff were very friendly and courteous at all times.

Breakfast is served from 7am to 11am and choices to suit everyone with a plentiful supply of food.

We were on the half board option so evening meal was also included. We dined 3 nights off the buffet menu and 3 times in the a la carte restaurant. Though, do note that you will have to pay extra for the a la carte option if the value of your meal is in excess of the dinner voucher value. Check this on arrival. We didn't realise this and wasn't until we were charged and queried it did we find out.

Also, drinks are not included and are expensive. Bottle of wine starts at €18, large beer €5 and minerals and water €3.50. These are guide prices only.

There are 4 swimming pools, main pool is where we spent most of time. Pool opens at 9am and get there early to get a sun bed. Though, they will remove towels if you are not using. Also, adult only pool and an indoor pool. Very child friendly and deep end is probably just over a metre in main pool so excellent for kids and non swimmers.

A courtesy bus runs to beach during day on a regular basis and between 7 and 9 to Marina.

It is approximately a 30 min walk to Marina and is a very pleasant walk. Taxis are €5 each way.

Despite fact it is a resort used by golfers, it is very child friendly. The facilities for kids are excellent, great park type facility. We didn't utilise the creche type kids club facility, it wasn't in our price and would have worked out expensive. There is also an indoor kids area, movies are shown every night.

The rubi Bar was very pleasant with limited entertainment at night. However, we were not particularly bothered by this as key thing for us was to keep kids entertained during day.

The hotel offers wifi but it is expensive, it would be a nice touch for this quality of hotel to offer this either free or at a significantly reduced rate.

In conclusion, this hotel would get a 100% rating if it was situated closer to Marina and beach and if drinks were slightly less expensive. However, despite this, I would have no hesitation in returning next year and would probably stay for 10 nights! Gets thumbs up from me :-)

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank GerardOC2
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you personally for your "excellent" rating of our hotel on Tripadvisor. The great remarks about the cleanliness of the rooms and the friendliness & courteousness of our staff have been shared with all departments and especially our housekeeping team.

Regarding your comment about the internet, Hilton is providing since last year free internet to Gold and Diamond members of our loyalty program Hilton Honours. The company is currently reviewing the offering of internet in public spaces too.

I do hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our resort, so do not hesitate to contact me directly for making the booking for your next summer vacation.

Kind regards,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

This hotel and holiday would have been almost perfect for us but for one stupid rule that the hotel have put in to place without thinking of how practical it is. If you leave your sun beds unattended for more than 30 minutes they remove your stuff and give them to someone else. The main problem is that the main pool deck simply isn't big enough for the number of families during August, so they introduced this to make sure people don't put towels down at 9am and not come to use them until after lunch . However, they even enforce this when there are still plenty of spare beds available and that is just plain stupid and resulted in a lot of residents with kids very unhappy. The pool deck is fenced off and doesn't open until 9am and even then you only get a hand full of people that bother to come down and reserve beds, but at 9.30am the "pool police" start collecting towels off any beds that are not occupied! Then we come to lunch time when it can take 30 minutes to get your drinks ordered and delivered to you table in the pool bar, let alone eat your lunch and if you all want to go for a swim you either have to keep your eye on the time of leave someone behind ..... so much for family fun!

Other than that, the food is great, the staff are very friendly (even the "pool police") and the rooms are great. Like everywhere in Vilamoura, your probably pay an extra 30% for everything but like I say, if it wasn't for the daft rule it would be the perfect holiday for us.

Lots for the kids to do but its all at an additional cost unless your are happy to accompany them.

Room Tip: Free minibus to the Marina is great but busy and you could wait up to an hour at the taxi rank to ge...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JProbyn
HiltonVilamoura, Director of Operations at Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback regarding your last stay with us. I personally, have taken notes of your comments about the towels in the pool and this has been thoroughly discussed so that we can improve the level of service in the coming months. Along with the pool comments your comments about the pool restaurant have been reviewed by our food and beverage operations manager.

As with many other reviewers of the Hilton Vilamoura I am again pleased to read that you found our staff to be very friendly.

Once again thank you for your valuable feedback.

With kind regards,

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

Liked : Beautiful hotel, clean, modern, stylish, in beautiful surroundings, 7 swimming pools, helpful polite staff, well equipped rooms.

Disliked: food in evening poor and unappetising 60% of the time. Expensive bar prices even for soft drinks. Entertainment very limited.

Room Tip: Apartment rooms provide top rate facilities
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear guest,

Thank you for your post and feedback about your summer stay at the Hilton Vilamoura.

Best regards,

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamoura
Four Seasons Vilamoura
Vila Vita Parc Resort & Spa
EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel
EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel
#1 of 162 in Albufeira

Been to Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!