“Tale of Many Sides!”

Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
Warfield, United Kingdom
“Tale of Many Sides!”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Booked transfers via Suntransfers online costing us €58 return in a executive air conditioned vehicle. Drivers were prompt, reliable and friendly:)
The drive took about 25 minutes and upon arrival, I must admit that I wasn't completely blown away by the buildings. There wasnt a bellboy in sight and I had to go up to front desk to request assistance with our bags. The expanse and decor of the lobby was a better sight and a slight relief. Staff at the front desk was very welcoming and insightful when it came to introducing the facilities and services of the hotel. We were given our week's worth of dinner vouchers for which we could exchange for lunch vouchers should we wish to dine out for dinner instead. Though we would be charged extra should we exceed the value of the dinner voucher.

After receiving 4 sets of key cards (one for each of us), we took ourselves to our 2 bed apartment. I couldn't be happier with the space, cleanliness, views and amenities. To have a kitchen complete with dishwasher and washing machine was a blessing. The hotel doesn't offer full board and with the closest supermarket being a 5-8 minutes walk away, you wouldn't go hungry. Speaking of food, I must iterate my disappointment with the buffet offerings. I can't complain about breakfast because it's a no-brainer. Eggs, waffles, pancakes, danish pastries, bacon, sausages, cereals, cold meats, juices, coffee/tea is always expected at any establishment. However, dinner buffet is a big let down. It is obvious that the hotel tries by offering a different theme each night but the spread is very much the same. There is a grill area where there is only ever 3 offerings of fish, prawns and chicken. Taste the same, looks the same. Pasta was on cue every night and you can trust that the rice will be undercooked. I must recommend you take the offer of dining out and using your voucher for lunch instead.

In the week that we stayed, entertainment was limited and we had a magician one night and dancers on another. One more thing, if you choose to eat outside on the terrace, please think twice if you are adversed to smokers because it is ok to light up amongst other diners. Restaurant staff were friendly and on alert. Plates are cleared as quickly as you put your utensils down!

My daughters had the opportunity to peruse the teenagers arcade. Armed with air hockey table, a couple of arcade games was all there was to it. There is 'no change' available at the desk so make sure you have €1 coins handy otherwise its a walk to front desk at the main lobby. The seating to watch movies on offer were delightfully teeny tiny and we were amused by a family of 2 boys and their dad who chose to sit at the back of the room on top of the snooker table. Nice'

The pool leaves little to be desired. A round pool surrounded by sunbeds and watchful eyes is a little intimidating. Also it is a bit on the small side considering the amount of people. Rest assured we were told by staff that it is always a busy period right to the end of summer break at the hotel. Therefore pool area was littered with children who happily has purchased spray guns and ginormous inflatables including my children:) Pool bar closes at 5pm and pool area shuts at 8. So a bit of a problem, if your children decides to stay after 5 and wants a drink or an ice cream:(

The one saviour of Hilton Vilamoura is the spa! Without the need to purchase treatments, you could use it for €20 per adult and €10 for children although they can only use it during the hours of 9.30 till 11am. It's a brilliant hideaway from the hustle and bustle of the pool areas and it's the perfect way to relax and unwind! We had aromatherapy massages which were wonderful for us and the children. However, the deep tissue massage at €80 was sadly a waste of money. My 6ft 3ins husband came away feeling rather pinched then reverberated by a masseuse half his height and weight.

Back to bedrooms, the beds were comfortable (a little hard but we like it that way), bathroom amenities replenished everyday. Coffee and tea were absent and when we asked housekeeping , they said we don't get any because we were in the apartment. This was silly as we were hotel guests and we did get this rectified with front desk and got coffee, tea, cream and sugar but for one night only! Housekeeping failed to replenish everyday of our stay. May I also warn future guests to be careful with your belongings because we've had suspicious broken items left on display like sunglasses, milk and juice carton tops torned off at the openings.

Bar prices are steep and to be honest at a minimum of €4 a drink including water, you would gasp. I've stayed at many hotels and not just the ones I have reviewed here and I must say, at this hotel everything is at a charge and at a premium.

We hired a car through Autorent. Awesome service and very reasonable. Hiring a car allowed us to get to the beach as and when we want. Beds are €10 for half day (4 hrs) and €15 for full day BUT you do get a children size water bottle each and your choice of ice cream or a little tub of pringles. Was it worth it? Hmmm, i could spend the €40 i paid on buying my own loungers or plush beach towels!!

We also went to Loule for a bit of sightseeing, Aquashow which was brilliant for the kids and about 10 mins away, Forum Algarve for a bit of shopping (about 25 minutes away) and the food court there was enticing and vast. Also went to vilamoura Marina. It is beautiful at night and worth a visit at least once for food, ambience and watersports.

I would return to Vilamoura, Algarve because it is beautiful, the people are truly delightful , weather was great! However, I choose to not return to Hilton Vilamoura. Thank you for the memories!

Room Tip: Room 3500 (2 bed apartment) facing the gardens was lovely.
1 Thank Fussytraveller75
HiltonVilamoura, General Manager at Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed account of your recent experience at the Hilton Vilamoura. As we are committed to providing our guests with high quality service standards and going beyond their expectations, I was both surprised and disappointed to learn that you were not completely satisfied with your hotel stay.

I have shared your comments with my management team, from our Front Office Manager and Executive Housekeeper to the Executive Chef and Food & Beverage Manager in order to look into the areas which can be improved such as the bell service, buffet offerings, entertainment, teenagers arcade and pool service.

What was most disturbing was your comment about the broken belongings and items tampered with in your apartment which should not be taken lightly. I would like to take this opportunity to address this point as we take these issues very seriously and encourage guests to report any such incidents in order to take the appropriate action to clear up any suspicious activity.

On a more positive note, I see you liked the accommodations and amenities, our welcoming and insightful staff, the sightseeing in Vilamoura and Loulé and the relaxing spa experience which appears to have been the highlight of your holiday.

Although you seem to have already made up your mind, I wish you would reconsider and stay with us again the next time you visit Vilamoura. We are continuously seeking to improve the guest experience by changing and adapting to guests’ increasingly sophisticated needs and demands. After the improvements which we are planning, I can assure you that on your next stay, you will be telling quite a different tale.

Looking forward to welcoming you and your family back again to the Hilton Vilamoura in the near future.

David Ecija

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Basingstoke, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Stayed at hilton a few times as really like it- Just back from August Bank Holiday weekend and was not happy about having to pay for sunbeds on the beach now (hilton sunbed area) - When last july they were free! But whats worse is they are charging more than all the other sunbeds - Why? 20 Euros for half a day for 2 people or 30 euros for full day for 2 people is what Hilton are charging - There are signs on the notice boards on the beach (plus I asked a sunbed attendant the cost of the sunbeds a row away from Hilton area) - 14 euros 40 for half a day and 19 euros for a full day??? When I asked front desk at Hilton and someone serving at Hilton beach if the other sunbeds on the beach were the same cost I was told Yes - Not impressed - So best bet is to take your pool towels with you on the minibus and go to the sunbeds next to Hilton area - But still an expensive extra now if you have a family of 4 plus for a 2 week holiday!!!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for returning to the Hilton Vilamoura and posting your feedback of your most recent stay. We very much appreciate the loyalty of our guests and wouldn’t want to see any situation jeopardise that trust.

I’m sorry to learn about your disappointment for having to pay for the sunbeds on the beach this year and particularly the price difference from the adjacent beach concessions. Furthermore, I would like to apologise for the misleading information given by our staff.
However, I’m sure you can appreciate that in addition to the towels and sunbeds, we also supply a bottle of water, a snack and a printed newspaper.

We at Hilton are committed to the highest levels of quality service while undergoing constant change to meet guests’ increasingly demanding needs beyond their expectations. I can assure you that we will be further enhancing the beach service next year and will take your feedback into account.

We hope that this situation will not detract from your loyalty as a Hilton Guest or deter you from bringing your family back again next year.

Kent
Reviewed 2 September 2012

August Bank Holiday Week in Portugal at the Hilton Vilamoura what a treat , really from the beginning the booking process , weather ,food at all the outlets , rooms , pools and the staff where great .
We were a party of ages age 15 to over 60 and we all were impressed .
Location I would say if we had been there longer than a week could be a negative maybe need a car .
*40 Euros was the cost for the cab from Faro airport to hotel and took 25/30 mins and loads available outside the airport.
*Check Inn was extremely well staffed .
*Outlets included , Rubi's Bar ( served a extensive menu too with Hilton Classics ) Pool side A La Carte , Main Buffet Restaurant ( had different themes nights and entertainment ) Pool side also 2 Bars and food served .
* Spa extremely lovely with a heavenly list of treatments to choose from
* Golf - right next door looked great - didn't try it out
* Tennis - 2 Courts , FOC for rackets and balls don't forget your trainers .
* Private Beach , courtesy bus in the summer every 30 mins but a charge of 10/15 Euro's Part/Full day for sun bed and a small bottle of water . In the evening the Courtesy bus then took you to the harbour - great night to wander round dine and shop .
Overall a great Holiday 5* would return .

Room Tip: Rooms were all of a great standard and King Deluxe slept 3
5 Thank Ward-on-Tour
HiltonVilamoura, General Manager at Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Vilamoura and sharing your holiday experience on TripAdvisor. I’m so pleased that we succeeded in meeting your expectations of a 5 star holiday and that you were impressed by the facilities and services from as early on as the booking stage, to arrival and check in and then throughout your week’s stay. The weather’s a given; we won’t be taking any credit for that!

We very much appreciate your taking the time to provide very detailed and positive feedback. For us it is vitally important as we are constantly monitoring our performance and measuring it against high service and quality standards.

I’m glad you felt really well taken care of by our staff. I will definitely share your kind comments with the entire hotel team who I’m sure will be delighted to know that their efforts contributed to your enjoyable stay.

I’m very much looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back again for yet another treat!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2012

one of the best looking hotels we have ever srayed in, rooms spacious and modern. Maid cleaned room every day.The reception staff, restaurant staff and bar staff were polite, friendly and really eager to excell at giving a great service

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
HiltonVilamoura, General Manager at Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay at our resort on TripAdvisor and the excellent rating.

I’m delighted that you liked the look of the hotel and the spacious and modern rooms. I have shared your kind words with the entire hotel team as I’m sure they will feel motivated and inspired to continue to excel at delivering a consistently great service.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hilton Vilamoura again very soon.

LONDON
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Stayed Aug 2012 with family including 3 & 7 yr olds. The rooms and food were great but the staff really impressed. There was a terrific waiter who discreetly entertained our kids between restaurant courses with tabletop magic tricks. Then there was the maid who posed our 3yr olds soft toys in funny little scenes around the room so she was convinced that they were playing their own games whenever we were out. Plus the reception and maintenance staff who, at 11pm on a Saturday night organised an enormous ladder and retrieved our boy's catapult toy that had been blown onto the top of one of the grand arches at the entrance to the hotel. The sight of a boy in tears was enough to trigger action, whereas I'm sure there are plenty of hotels that wouldn't have gone to so much bother. As far as the hotel itself goes, yes it's true the pool is landscaped like an episode of the "Flintstones" and the sunbed shortage in peak season is a real pain and needs to be improved, but there were always plenty at the beach. May I suggest that to earn its 5 stars the hotel should automatically offer free beach club access during peak periods of maximum occupancy to people who find themselves marooned without a poolside bed. That would be the right response in my view. But, all in all, if you're looking for a comfortable family friendly holiday, you are probably in the right place. Many congratulations to the staff.

1 Thank KAREN13
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a vivid account of your recent holiday experience at the Hilton Vilamoura and sharing it on TripAdvisor. I’m very pleased that you and your family got to enjoy your summer break and liked the resort and its facilities.

Thank you for commending our staff. Hilton is synonymous with first-class Hospitality and our Teams are the powerful force which channel our culture, values and standards to provide services which go beyond meeting guests’ needs and expectations, ultimately ensuring that every Guest feels truly valued, respected and cared for.

I very much appreciate your suggestion regarding the sunbed situation and I’m sure you’ll be pleased to know that we will be streamlining the pool and beach services in due course as it has been recurrently mentioned by reviewers.

On behalf of the star team at the Hilton Vilamoura, we thank you and look forward to welcoming you and your family back again very soon.

Reading, UK
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We were a family of 2 adults & 2 children (age 7 & 9) staying in a junior suite on a half board basis during August.

The hotel is spotless and the staff there are lovely and very accommodating. The food is of a good standard, although a little expensive (in line with a 5* hotel though).

As we were half board we were handed vouchers (valued each at 30 Euros per adult, 15 Euros per child) at the beginning of the holiday and could use these for either the buffet restaurant in the evening or one of the other restaurants for lunch or dinner. As we went into the Marina several evenings we used our vouchers at lunchtime. Although there are two places to have lunch, we found that the menu in the Rubi bar was really only a shortened version of the menu in Aqualera. After a week we were therefore pretty bored of seeing the same things and it would have been nice if there were different menus or specials thoughout the week.

The shuttle bus to the beach and the marina are an excellent idea, although they need to address the problem of people fighting to get on the bus on return from the beach, as there is no obvious place to queue (the bus can only hold 15 or 18 depending on which bus they send). Also during August the taxi situation is a nightmare as they don't want to do the short journey back to the hotel. The first night we went to the Marina we ended up having to do the 25 min walk back to the hotel with the children as we couldn't get a taxi to take us. I think this problem is really only August and the hotel did for a few weeks extend the last bus back to the hotel to 10.30pm. However, you did find yourself clock watching to make sure you get to the pick up point in time.

The kids went into the Kids' Club one afternoon and had a great time. They would have gone in more, however one afternoon session of about 3 hours cost approx. 45 Euros (for both of them). Anything less wasn't really worth it as it would then be 9 Euros per hour, per child

The Spa was nice and was 20 Euros for hotel guests, but free if you have a Hilton Honors Gold card.

Overall we thought the hotel was good, but as I have said there are a couple of things that would make us rate it "great".

1 Thank cls2711
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Vilamoura and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I regret that we didn’t make it all the way to a great experience, as you had expected.

Overall, I’m pleased you enjoyed the cleanliness of the facilities, the standard of the food and the helpfulness of the staff. You also appreciated the shuttle service to the marina and beach, the kids club and the spa. The less positive points you mentioned such as the lunch menus and the return shuttle from the beach and marina at night are being assessed by my management team to carry out the necessary improvements which will raise the level of experience from good to great.

As I’ve stated in my replies to other reviewers, our commitment is to constantly deliver quality service and improve the guest experience which we achieve by undergoing continuous change to adapt to guests’ increasingly demanding needs. We don’t want guests to have just a good experience, but as you so rightly pointed out, a great one!

We sincerely hope you will give us the opportunity to provide you and your family with a great holiday by visiting us again in the near future.

Liverpool
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Spent a 4 day break here in July and had a great time.

Rooms comfortable and well kept as were all public areas.

As we were looking for pure relaxation we really didn't stray far from the hotel but this more than met our needs.

The only difference from previously was that we chose to stay half board this time. Unfortunately the evening buffet did not really live up to my expectations - less choice than I had imagined and the quality not as I had hoped. But that being said we did not go hungry at all and it was good value for money.

With regards to the sunbed issues - we never experienced any. We spent most of our time at the quieter romantic pool and it wasn't an issue at all. I think it is a wise move to keep the pools close until 9am as I am sure there would be many people getting up at the crack of dawn to get the best position otherwise which I think is totally non-sensical ....

We would certainly return again.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank hollybobbers
Dear Guest,

Thank you ever so much for returning to the Hilton Vilamoura and taking the time to post feedback about your recent stay. I was encouraged to hear that you found this experience to be as good as the first one!

I’m glad you appreciated the comfort of the rooms and well kept public areas, and rather than venturing out of the resort, you preferred to relax by the romantic pool without any inconveniences.

Thank you so much for acknowledging that we did more than just meet your needs. This is the highest form of approval we could receive as it confirms our commitment to ensuring that every guest feels valued and cared for beyond their needs and expectations. I see the only exception was the evening buffet which fell short of what you expected in terms of quality and variety. I’ll be sure to address this point with our Executive Chef for improvement.

We very much appreciate your loyalty and look forward to many more return visits in the future.

David Ecija
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamoura
Crowne Plaza Vilamoura - Algarve
As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa
Conrad Algarve
Conrad Algarve
#1 of 14 in Almancil

Been to Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!