“Good hotel, let down by "extra charges"”

Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Vilamoura
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Had an absolutely wonderful holiday at this hotel in early September. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. The rooms are fantastic and the pool areas well maintained. A special word on the breakfasts which were great - my only comment would be the speed on which the wait staff remove your plates, take your hands away for a second and they swoop :-).

This hotel provides a first class level of service. The only concerns I have is the very obvious tendency the establishment has to try and squeeze their guests which sometimes leaves you feeling disappointed. Charges for wifi in public areas should be looked at, if it's free in McDonalds you begin to feel a little resentful. I think that if this hotel reviewed what it charges and made it more reasonable for drinks, use of the spa, wifi, the beach etc then they would really get more of a return from their guests. For example, I would rather walk the 10 minutes to the supermarket and pay the 50c for a bottle of water by the pool than pay the €4.

Didn't eat in the hotel apart from breakfast, plenty of nice places to sample around the Marina.
The shuttle bus to the Marina was good but mostly walked there and back, was about a half hour walk.

Great vacation, would go back!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
HiltonVilamoura, General Manager at Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting the Hilton Vilamoura and sharing your comments about your recent stay on TripAdvisor.

It’s very gratifying to learn that we succeeded in providing first class service and a wonderful holiday experience for you and your friends in spite of the extra charges. It appears you were highly impressed by our efficient staff and speedy service... maybe even a little too speedy at breakfast! I’ll be sure to have a word with our overly eager waiters!

I also appreciate your suggestions on the wifi charges as well as spa and beach access and will take them under consideration the next time we review our operational strategy. Feedback is a vital way of monitoring the level of service and facilities we provide so as to make the necessary improvements and further enhance the guest experience.

Once again thank you for your truly valuable feedback and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your friends back to the resort again very soon.

David Ecija

Write a ReviewReviews (2,725)

Reviewed 14 September 2012

We stayed at hotel vilamoura for the first time in one week .
First we special thanks for all staff that really friendly and helpful and attentive and they help anything we needed.
The hotel was beautiful , clean and modern with the view of several pool areas , our room had great kitchen with everything like at home......fridge , microwave , oven , dishwasher , washing machine , iron and board with fantastic balcony view facing the golf course and calm environment , the quality bathroom with slippers .
In the breakfast we had huge choice as you would expect from a 5 star hotel in nice place .
We had dinner in the restaurant only two nights and it was really well cooked and we couldn't go every night ,because my family is 4 person and it's so expensive for us in one week.
In that season I didn't know why the kids room was closed and my children liked to go playing there but unfortunately they couldn't .
In March we could use only one small pool that it was very nice & clean ,but I suggest if it's possible the hotel try to made use one of the big pool because many people wanted to use it .
Anyway I can say we had fantastic vacation for one week with good memory specially when we came back from " Fatima ".

Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for visiting our resort and sharing your holiday experience on TripAdvisor. I see you stayed one week in March with your family and had a fantastic time.

I’m very pleased you liked the hotel and were especially impressed with the room amenities and breakfast. As usual, our staff proved to be helpful and efficient, ensuring that you were well taken care of. I think it’s wonderful that our staff gets so much praise from our guests as I believe it boosts their confidence and increases their motivation to constantly strive to exceed all expectations.

I regret that you didn’t eat in more often due to the prices and that you were somewhat disappointed that the kids club was closed and only the small pool was open. It’s true that some facilities are seasonal but we always try to compensate our guests with alternative services or activities. I’m sorry we didn’t meet your expectations in these instances.

All in all, it appears that you had a great holiday and I sincerely hope to be able to welcome you and your family back to the Hilton Vilamoura again very soon.

Reviewed 13 September 2012

We stayed here for a week at the end of August. Before we arrived we received a lovely email welcoming us and asking if we needed any reservations for activities during our stay.
This email set the tone of the week, the staff were warm and helpful, without being overbearing and intrusive.
The hotel itself was beautiful, clean and modern, the rooms were spotless and the beds were extremely comfortable! The public areas of the hotel were well kept, clean and inviting. There were several pool areas, one even adults only so it was easy to relax in calm quiet surroundings!
The only criticism of the hotel was the price of the food. We were bed and breakfast and opted to go to the buffet one evening and paid 70 Euro for two meals, 2 soft drinks and a glass of wine. Another evening we spent nearly 50 Euro for 2 club sandwiches. The food was wonderful, well cooked and presented and generous portion sizes, but expensive nonetheless. The Drinks were also expensive, but not more so than prices in the resort. I recommend the cucumber martini - it is a must! I was also a little disappointed that there was not more fresh fruit available at breakfast, with mixed melon and citrus fruits being the only options.
We both had treatments in the spa, which was marvelous. It was relaxed and serene and started our holiday of reading and relaxation beautifully.
All in all, we had a great time in Portugal and the staff in the hotel are largely to thank for this as they were friendly and attentive and went out of their way to help with anything we needed. Special thanks should go to Hugo at check in as he both recommended and booked Willies for us, a fantastic Michelin starred restaurant that is a short walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a golf view as the pool view rooms can be noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
HiltonVilamoura, General Manager at Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your preference in staying at the Hilton Vilamoura and taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

Once again, it is very gratifying to learn that our staff played a decisive role in providing yet another valued guest with a great holiday experience. With their expertise and dedication, they are truly committed to delivering excellent guest service, often going above and beyond all expectations.

I’m really pleased that you enjoyed the resort facilities, particularly the cleanliness and comfort of the accommodations, the public and pool areas as well as the relaxing treatments at the Spa.
In spite of acknowledging the quality of our food and beverages, I regret that you were nonetheless disappointed with the prices. I’ve made a note of your comment about not having enough fresh fruit at breakfast which I will take up with our Executive Chef.

I will certainly share your feedback with all the teams as I’m sure they will feel encouraged and inspired to keep excelling in their duties and especially Hugo, who I’m sure will feel very proud for having been singled out for his assistance with the choice and reservation of the restaurant.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and I’m very much looking forward to your future return visits for more relaxing and fun holidays.

Reviewed 12 September 2012

We just spent 26 days at the Hilton, Vilamoura in August, had such a wonderful time. The staff were so friendly and helpful, from the Manager to the cleaners of our room, the front desk team or waitresses in the restaurants, we did not meet anyone who did not seem genuinely happy to see or help us or with a smile on their face. There is no price that can be put on that, American style service but with sincerity !
This was our third time of visiting this Hilton and Paulo and the team on teh front desk still managed to recommend a couple of restaurants that were off the beaten track that were real gems, as well as two others that he introduced us to before that remain firm favourites.
We had a 2 bedroom suite, so were able to use the kitchen facilities but there are so many restaurants and the port is so easily accessible with the shuttle service, we hardly ate in at all.
The room itself was modern, in great condition, had a beautiful large balcony as well. Everything about the hotel works well, even the lifts are so modern and efficient.
The beach remains one of the best in Southern Europe, clean, lots of beds and facilities for the kids, fine and soft sand. It was so peaceful and quiet in teh Hilton area, but lots of locals out every day in the public areas and by the sea, had such a great atmosphere down there. I know some complained about towelling/bed issues around the pool earlier in the summer, but was fine whilst we were there.
There are several golf courses within 100-300 yards, plus the Portuguese Open Victoria course is only 2-3 miles away. The spa was top notch as well according to the wife and eldest daughter !
There were sometimes queues for breakfast, but moved surprisingly quickly. There really was a varied and fresh supply of hot and cold food, it really set the kids up every day for the beach !
Highly recommended, we will be back with friends next time.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Stewart C
HiltonVilamoura, General Manager at Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you ever so much for coming back a third time to the Hilton Vilamoura and rating us so highly on TripAdvisor.

After your third visit to the resort, it is truly extraordinary to see how you continue to describe your experience with such unwavering enthusiasm! And after spending 26 days with us and saying that everything about the hotel works well, I think your testimonial genuinely reflects the consistency and quality of our guest service.

From the staff and the accommodations right down to the spa, beach and golf courses, I am sincerely grateful for your wonderful praise. Not even the breakfast queues affected your joyful mood! It is indeed a pleasure to read such a positive review from such a loyal guest.

Thank you so much for your feedback and I’m very much looking forward to welcoming you, your family and friends back again very soon.

Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a 4 night stay in Hilton Vilamoura with my partner and loved every minute.
Checking in was very easy and the receptionist was a lovely girl, took time to tell us about the local area, restaurants, shops and gave us maps and all the information we could manage.
In fact, ALL the staff were great with us. Didn't encounter one who's attitude wasn't friendly and helpful and we always got a hello in passing.

Our room was a King Deluxe and it was amazing. Very modern, to the point where they have a switch in the bathroom that turns up the volume of the TV and clear glass in the bathroom so you can watch TV whilst in the bath if the mood strikes, felt like I was back in Vegas!! My ONLY gripe was there are only maby 4-5 English channels and 3 of those were news channels. I would have loved cable/satellite that enabled me to get more English TV, but I'm nit picking.

We had absolutely no issues with sunbeds etc to the point we could move to shaded beds for an hour or two to cool off before moving back to the sun. Of course that's maby because it's off season.

Breakfast everyday was a beautiful spread we loved it.

The only issue for us was the bar/restaurant prices, 7euro for a bottle of beer, 4euro for a soft drink, 11euro for a club sandwich etc, it was a little too expensive for us but it didn't impact on our holiday as we just drove the 10mins to the local marina for lunch then returned to sunbathe again.

Local area was fantastic too!!! The marina in Vilamoura is great, throw a stone and you can hit a good eating house. For Italian you MUST try il Trio, The 19th Hole will do you a fantastic steak, what more can you ask for.

I will be back to Vilamoura and hopefully back to Hilton if the deal is right. Gorgeous hotel, great staff!

• Stayed: September 2012
HiltonVilamoura, General Manager at Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Vilamoura for your 4 night stay and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

I’m so pleased you enjoyed the hotel location, services and facilities and as usual, our staff made an impression. Had it not been for the few English TV channels and the food and beverage prices, I’m certain you would have had the perfect holiday!

Your feedback is highly appreciated as it allows us to monitor our performance and make the necessary changes and improvements to further enhance the guest experience and gain our guests’ loyalty, so thank you again for your valuable comments.

I’m very much looking forward to welcoming you and your partner back to our beautiful hotel again very soon.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

Stayed here between Sep 2nd and 9th 2012 with my girlfriend. First impressions were good, staff very friendly, hotel clean and modern as you would expect for a Hilton. Breakfast buffet was gorgeous, I would guess around 70% of hotel were British. Room had a seperate shower and bath and was cleaned daily. I would rather have had a fridge however than a stocked mini bar that was extremely expensive including water at 4 euros that could be bought for 30 cents at the local supermarket (10 minute walk away). The problem with reviews like this is it is natural to pick out the negatives but the truth is we had an amazing week, the pool area is lovely and we found loungers at the back that were very private just by the pool with the waterfall. The beach is great but a charge of 10 euro's per bed for half a day is again pricey especially in peak season June-September when the sunloungers by the pool are exteremely busy and sometimes easier just to go to the beach ( I think 5 euros per bed would be acceptable in peak season). The one problem the hotel has is it's location as it is putting on so many shuttle buses throughout the day/evening due to the hotel being a 30 minute walk from both beach and marina, they need to try and recoup the cost of this somehow. The walk back from the marina/beach is not very pleasant and you have to be careful of cars coming very close to you. We did this on the 1st night but never again! We met 2 other nice couples in the taxi queue one night and we all agreed that it would be helpful if the buses could pick up from the marina until midnight as 9.30pm is an early finish and the taxi queue after 10pm is very large. Best restaurant we went to was IL Trio, a fantastic Italian which is about 200 yards from the taxi rank and just a walk up some steps from the marina. We only found out about this place after over-hearing an Irish couple raving about how good it was to other Hilton guests in the queue for the bus outside the Hotel. They were right!! All in all, we have given this a 'Very Good' as a rating. We would come again, there is not a lot they can do about the location but just some tweaks re the extra shuttlebuses until midnight from the marina and a review of the charges on the beach and this would then be rated excellent!! (re location - if you are a golfer which we are not, then the location is perfect!!)

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CheshireGreen
HiltonVilamoura, General Manager at Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at our resort and taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. On the one hand, we are delighted that overall you had an amazing week and were really impressed by the cleanliness of the hotel and the staff’s friendliness, and that you particularly liked the breakfast, the pool area and the beach.

On the other hand, I regret that we fell short of your expectations in terms of our location which you consider more convenient for golfers; the prices of the minibar and sun loungers at the beach; and the shuttle service from the marina which you think should have run until midnight to avoid the taxi queues. I have duly noted your suggestions regarding both the shuttle hours and beach charges for consideration in our improvement action plans.

Feedback from our guests is vitally important as it allows us to monitor our performance and make the necessary changes and improvements to further enhance the guest experience and gain our guests’ loyalty, so thank you again for your valuable comments.

I’m very much looking forward to welcoming you and your girlfriend back to the Hilton Vilamoura again very soon.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

I booked a week long stay at the Hilton Vilamoura at the last minute. As a solo female traveller I wanted to feel safe as well whilst having a completely relaxing holiday where all I had to do was decide what book to read and when to get in the pool and do a bit of an explore if I felt like it. For that kind of holiday it was almost perfect. The only major criticism was the location if you don't have a car.

The positives: Fantastic staff, very friendly and helpful. My room was great. I was in a king deluxe room with a view of the pool. Unlike some hotels the photo on the website was what I got. Balcony with chairs and table for two people, gorgeous and enormous bath, separate shower, nice amenities. Although the pools are on the small side for the number of guests in high season, I didn't have problems getting a lounger (think it was because I went the week after english schools went back). I agree with the other reviewer about the Flintstones-esque fake boulder design. Tacky and rather hideous. Time that was redone, and am sure if they got rid of that, they could make the pools bigger and provide more room for loungers. There are separate pools for families, teenagers and grown ups, which is a good idea.
Negatives: location is a out of the way, I walked into the marina which took about 25 mins. If you want to go exploring you'll need a car.
Breakfast buffet was pretty good but the dinner buffets were a real disappointment as other reviewers have mentioned. On two nights there wasn't much I wanted. As other reviewers have said the other two restaurants have very similar menus.
Would I go there again? Probably not, unless I was going to hire a car. If you're going to be sitting by the pool all day, or playing golf next door, it's probably fine, but you could be anywhere in the world, I didn't feel as if I was in Portugal most of the time. Most of the food is standard english or american, everyone speaks english, most of the guests are english.
At the end of the day it is a good hotel, the staff were fantastic.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Mangoed

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Vilamoura at the last minute and sharing your comments on TripAdvisor. I’m pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay although it seems that it fell just short of the perfect holiday because of the resort’s location.

Still, you thought the staff were fantastic and liked the room amenities and breakfast. I see you had no trouble with the sun loungers although the size and setting of the pools was not to your satisfaction. We will definitely consider your suggestion for expanding the pool area when the time comes for a makeover.

On the other hand, I regret that we fell short of your expectations with regard to the variety of dishes on our menus and dinner buffets and the prevalence of international food. I understand you would have liked to experience the more traditional and local flavours of Portuguese cuisine and culture.

Again, thank you for your feedback. I would be very pleased if you would consider visiting us again and to ensure that you have the perfect holiday, I would like to offer my personal assistance with the booking of a rental car.

David Ecija

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamoura
Four Seasons Vilamoura
Tivoli Marina Vilamoura
#7 of 37 in Vilamoura
As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa
Vila Vita Parc Resort & Spa

Been to Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!