“Excellent for a second time!!!”

Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
Reviewed 4 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the Hilton V for a second year in a row, and again, it really was an excellent stay.
This time we took our 18month old son and we had a great time. We booked a family suite and were very pleased with what we got its basically 2 rooms linked, 2 bathrooms, 2 TV's, it was great because we could get ready at the same time, put the baby down to sleep in the bedroom and sit on the sofa to watch TV at night, it's a great set up for families.

We had no issues at the pool even tho it was kinda busy, always got loungers and the little pool for kids was a godsend my wee man loved it.

We didn't eat at the hotel except for breakfast because we found it a LITTLE pricey but again, that's only to be expected from a 5* hotel. Breakfast however was great again, and well set up for kids, we always got a baby seat and they has cereal and oatmeal and fruit for us it was great.

All in all, we could well end up as regulars to the Hilton Vilamoura as it just keeps getting better.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Belfast1511
HiltonVilamoura, General Manager at Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Dear Guest,

I’m delighted that you chose to return to the Hilton Vilamoura this year and really appreciate the excellent review you have posted on TripAdvisor.

I’m so glad we contributed to yet another excellent stay and that you got to enjoy our family friendly facilities with your toddler son this time around.

Our guests’ loyalty is very important to us and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back time and time again.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa

Reviewed 4 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here over a recent Irish bank holiday weekend. The room was lovely (although the pillows were too soft for our liking) and it was ready for us at around noon on the day of our arrival. We spent one morning by the pool and another at the beach before going into the Marina on those days. We rented a car so we took a day to drive around and made our way to Silves (about 45 minutes away).

The pool - yes it was cold, but it's been a particularly cold spring and this was the first "hot" spell in a while so that wasn't surprising. The beds were close together, but if there were less then there would be more complaints about there not being enough beds. We had no problem getting a bed at 10:30AM and I saw spare beds around the main pool each day that we were there.

The beach - the reception staff told us when we arrived that the sun beds there would be 10 Euro for a half day and 15euro for a full day. It wasn't a surprise to us. When traveling in the Caribbean I've never had to pay for a bed at a beachfront hotel, but this seems to be pretty standard at non-beachfront hotels, at least in Spain and Portugal - again not a surprise although disappointing. The beach itself was wide and the breeze was welcome in the hot sun.

The food and drink - we only ate breakfast, and while the hot food wasn't spectacular, there was plenty of choice with breads, cereals, yogurts, cheeses and the like. The best breakfast I've had was at a Ritz hotel, and this is not a Ritz so I think it was fine. The drink and food prices are always going to be high at a hotel - so that's to be expected.

Overall we were happy with our stay. There were a TON of families there but we didn't bring any children with us so I can't comment on the facilities. However I wouldn't hesitate to come here with kids. You can get to the Marnia for about 5 - 6 eruros in a taxi, there's a kids club and a teen club. We might not go back there as a couple given the cost, but we did have a 30% discount this time and got extra Hilton Honors points for the stay - so that made it a nice deal.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Vilamoura and your very encouraging and supportive comments on TripAdvisor. I’m delighted that you had an overall positive experience and enjoyed the service and resort facilities.

I would like to stress your point regarding beach concessions in Portugal. Charging for sunbeds and umbrellas is indeed standard practice across the country as the use of beach facilities is subject to contractual obligations.

I’m also pleased you felt you got a good deal on the rate and extra HHonors points for your stay. Loyalty is very important to us and at Hilton, we like to reward our most loyal guests.

Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we hope you will visit us again with your children in the near future.

Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

We are currently staying here & there are many positives. The staff are excellent & really help make this a fantastic hotel. Room was nice, clean & quiet. Loved the adult only pool, peaceful & less hassle trying to get a sun lounger. However I don't understand why there are not more negative comments regarding the food. We ate here on the first night as we were tired from traveling. The option available to us was a buffet restaurant but the food was all lukewarm & the meat was tough, from all of the food there was available there was not 1 'hot' dish. The same at breakfast, if the food is part of the buffet & it should be hot, at best it's lukewarm. They don't seem to take food safety seriously at all. Not good enough from a 5 star hotel. My suggestion is to sit the management team down & serve the 'hot' food from the buffet to them, maybe they might realize that lukewarm food really shouldn't be 5 star Hilton standards.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Liveforholidays73
HiltonVilamoura, General Manager at Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Vilamoura and sharing feedback of your recent holiday on TripAdvisor.

Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding stay. I’m pleased that most of our services and facilities were to your satisfaction and you felt well taken care of by our dedicated team members.

However, I regret to learn that you had a disappointing experience with your meals and would like to apologise for not meeting the expected high quality service which we are renowned for. I’m sure you’ll be pleased to know that I’ve addressed your comments with our executive chef for immediate action so as to ensure consistency in meeting Hilton’s quality service standards. Your feedback as a valued guest is something we take very seriously and use in the continuous improvement of our property for current and future guests.

Again, I apologise for the shortcomings and hope that you will consider visiting the Hilton Vilamoura again so that we can restore your faith in us.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

I am absolutely flabbergasted that this hotel is rated number 2 in vilamoura and as i always use Tripadvisor as a guide, this time it has failed me.

Hotel on the outside looks nice, pool area looks nice etc,,,,,

However at a 5* hotel you would expect a sunbed!!!! at least enough for all guests and to not feel as though you would touch a strangers leg if they were on the sunbed next to you.
I complained about the number of beds and was told they would be getting more, my reply.... I have no idea where you would put them?! I had my buggy for my 3 year old and if it was behind the bed, I would have to walk along the whole row to get to the buggy behind me (no gap what so ever between the beds)

The guys at the poor bar where you get your towels are generally friendly and helpful, apart from one guy who did not go out of his way to help!

One other problem I experienced was raw fish in the RUBY BAR.... Raw and the batter inside poured out, I had given some to my toddler so as you can imagine I was not impressed.
The man the works in the Ruby bar was one of the most helpful waiters I have ever come across however this did not help my stomach ache I had for the next say,
Our meal was taken off the bill and a meal in the moscado restaurant as a "sorry" I was the one who was sorry, this I presume is the half board buffet restaurant and was barely edible.....

Breakfast was good, plentiful and fresh, however most mornings we had to ask for tea or coffee.... It wasn't offered... Again not very 5*

Others have mentioned drink prices at the pool, this was not an issue, its what you expect in a hotel that advertises as 5*

The beach again what a fast,,, you arrive by shuttle get your towels from hilton beach club and are told you can use the 2 rows of beds with yellow mattresses.... ok as its advertised as hiltons private beach I didn't expect to share this part with the blue beds, but anyhow we set off to get some beds.... after 2 hours we are told 10Euro per bed!!!! I don't think so.... you tell me when I arrive not after 2 hours, its not advertised anywhere and in my opinion it stinks! I have never ever had to pay for sunbeds in any other 5* establishment,,,, !!!!!!!!

Again others have mentioned the pool being cold,, its an understatement,,, there is a small childrens pool which wasn't used once in 9 days I was there as its FREEZING!

The indoor pool that was heated was almost dangerous it was so packed with people! my daughter one day informed me they had got out as there was something untoward floating about! YUK!!!!!!! I tried to dissuade this pool in future!

I cannot understand why anybody would re visit this hotel and from many guests I spoke to whilst there I doubt any from this week will return!

On a positive note Vlamoura marina is nice, but just maybe look at another hotel, don't let it put you off the resort! our bill when we departed for drinks etc was 2500 euros so it wasnt a cheapy.....

I wish I had gone to dubai now which I could of done for the amount the holiday cost us in total £6000!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: pool view rooms near the pool lift would be central
3  Thank picabar

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. We always endeavour to offer the highest level of service to our guests but regrettably it would appear that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations of a five star hotel.

I’ve taken note of your comments on the food, pools, sunbeds and beach service and will be addressing them with the relevant managers to see where we can take immediate action. We apologise for the shortcomings and will continue to work hard to raise service standards and ensure all our guests have a positive holiday experience.

We do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, we have the opportunity of welcoming you and your family back at some point in the future.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

No hot water for 3 days. Rooms not cleaned until 3.30 / 4.00 p.m. on some days. Overcharged at poolside bar 3 times. Watch out when asking for house white - they give you most expensive bottle and charge 35 euros!!!! Reception staff great and think the hotel let itself down on our most recent stay - bit disappointing for 5 star.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank Sara1958
HiltonVilamoura, General Manager at Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Vilamoura and sharing your comments on TripAdvisor.

We would like to sincerely apologise for the inconveniences you experienced during your first time with us and will be sure to address these issues with our team to ensure that we make the necessary corrections. Your feedback as a valued guest is something we take very seriously and use in the continuous improvement of our property for current and future guests.

Thanks again for your review and despite your disappointment on this occasion, we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

We have just arrived home from our second holiday at this hotel, excellent hotel, clean, excellent staff, room ready at 12pm, we love it and will definitely return. One complaint was the fact that sunbeds were reserved for the entire day. One couple left their beds at 11am and didnt come back until 3pm, they left their towels and kids toys on them during this time, which meant that no body else could use them either, the hotel should enforce the 30 minute rule, this would prevent the madness of queueing for a sunbed at 8.30 and stop people thinking that they can reserve sunbeds for the day, its extremelly bad manners. This was not the case on our last holiday which was much more enjoyable. Do not stay at this hotel without eating at the Pirate restaurant which was recommended by the staff at reception, excellent food and service.

1  Thank tragah

Dear Guest,

Thank you for returning to the Hilton Vilamoura and reviewing your most recent experience on TripAdvisor. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay again and will keep returning although you were regrettably inconvenienced by the sunbed situation this year.

We very much appreciate your loyalty and will continue to make our utmost efforts to right any situation which may compromise the trust you have in our service standards. Please rest assured we will look into this issue and find a way to improve the pool facility setup.

We thank you again for your valuable feedback and look forward to welcoming you and your family back again next year.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

We booked this hotel on the great reviews it has, even though it was quite expensive we thought we would go that extra mile as it sounded fantastic. We were very disappointed ! On arrival after e mailing them before we came telling them it was a special occasion and we had our son who is 12 yrs old, they told us they had upgraded us to a deluxe suite ! Well the room had 3single beds in a room the size of a broom cupboard, I complained and they were very helpfull, and said they would move us, but as you can guess like I did on the day it had a big catch, yes we had to pay £400 more to move to a normal sized room ! Really annoyed and disappointed with being ripped off.
The hotel itself is lovely, the staff at reception and at breakfast were fantastic and couldn't do enough for you, but the pool area is a joke, the sun beds are that close that you cannot put your sun Brolly up if the person next to you has there's up ! After 0930 there was no chance of getting a bed, I saw some people sat on the floor as no beds left ! How poor is that ! Then there are the pools, how cold, you just couldn't go in them for the first few days they were all just freezing, again so disappointing for my son. The indoor one which was the only heated pool was so packed with younger children due to the others being so cold that you could never get in it for a swim !
the hotel to our surprise was packed with children under the age of 5 and i mean packed with them, so if you are travelling without kids i would give this place a miss !
The pool bar was the worst I've ever seen it was the size of a phone box ! The staff there were very abrupt and ran out of things by lunch time ! £4 for a cam of coke, £5 for a beer and £17 for burger and chips at the poolside ! It just felt a complete rip off. Thank goodness for the supermarket round the corner. The beach again was a rip off £10 per sun bed for 4hours ! And the sea was colder than the pools so you couldn't go in and by lunchtime the wind was blowing the sand all over you !
It did have 2 other pools but 1 was adults only and the other was at the other end of the complex where the self catering part is and it was quite a trek to get a drink or even go to the toilets !
The courtesy bus was great but we got a taxi in and the bus back every night as the queue for the first bus at 7pm was silly !
To sum up, the hotel was lovely as it is a hilton, but the so called delux room was a joke and the pool area and pool bar are the worst I've ever seen for a 5 star in all my years travelling. It just felt like they were trying to rip you off which left a sour taste in my throat.
Vilamoura was beautiful and I would go back there again, but I would not stop at the hilton mainly due to the tiny pool area, the pools being so cold, the rip off at the beach and the rip off prices in the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a 1bed apartment with a pool view
3  Thank Jamie06

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent holiday at our resort and am very sorry to learn that we did not succeed in meeting your expectations.

Although you mention the hotel was lovely and all the staff were very helpful, you felt disappointed with the size of the room, the pool and beach facilities and prices. I’ve made a note of all your comments and will be addressing them with the management team with a view to improving the service, especially at the pool and beach.

We are always finding new ways of improving the guest experience and undergoing constant change to achieve this so I sincerely hope you will consider visiting us again at some point in the future.

David Ecija

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamoura
Crowne Plaza Vilamoura - Algarve
As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa
Conrad Algarve
Conrad Algarve
#1 of 14 in Almancil

Been to Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!