“Morning race for sunbeds at Hilton”

Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Vilamoura
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We are a family of four currently on vacation at the Hilton. We have two lovely rooms on the third floor with nice views of the main pool area. We also have perfect views of the queue for the sun beds which starts at 8.15 am. We are usually back from breakfast at 9.00 am just in time to see the race start, once the gates are opened - people literally running to reserve the sunbeds. Within a couple of minutes all reserved with few occupied. We refused to take part in this farce and so we never got sunbeds at the main pool area.
The upper pool area is a little less frantic and we usually got sunbeds there shortly after 9.00 am. Until, today there wasn't even one sign around the pool stating that sun beds were not to be reserved. Today I saw a staff member putting up a couple of notices at the upper pool bar to this effect but nothing at the main pool where the real problem exists..
The upper pool bar usually opens at around midday. Before noon guests need to go to the main pool area to be served.
There is a small shop in the lobby and seems to sell only one English language newspaper, but is closed on Sundays.The nearest shop is about 10 minutes walk away.
As other reviewers have stated the hotel runs a shuttle bus to the Marina, which is very helpful. However, we have walked back to the hotel most evenings, because once the service finishes it is very difficult to get a taxi - a good 20 minutes brisk walk.
Breakfasts are ok, but not exceptional.
We find it difficult to think of a reason to return.

9  Thank RPWEX
HiltonVilamoura, General Manager at Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for staying at the Hilton Vilamoura and sharing your comments on TripAdvisor.

Although I’m pleased that you’re happy with the rooms and views, it is with much regret that I’ve learnt of our shortcomings in other services including the sunbeds, breakfast and newspapers on offer.

However, with regard to the sunbeds, we have put up two new notices today at the main pool area (in front of Aquarela) informing guests that we will be removing towels and other personal items left unattended for 30 minutes. With regard to the newspapers, I’m told the hotel shop offers 7 different English newspapers, i.e. the Daily Mail, Daily Express, Daily Mirror, Daily Star, The Sun, Times and Telegraph.

I’m very concerned that you are considering not returning to our property and am available at any time to discuss further.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have just returned from an enjoyable family week away. Having stayed at the Hilton a couple of summers ago we knew what to expect ( clean rooms, very friendly staff, ridiculous drink prices and potential sunbed issues to name but a few ). The usual friendly welcome and we were fortunate to be able to have our room on arrival which was nice, so quick change and down tot he pool. We fell lucky and got a couple of beds which was fine for us as the kids would be entertained in the pool. I wasn't quite expecting the bedlam the following morning when it comes to the sunbeds, pool opens at 9.00am and people were queuing at 8.20 for their " prime " spots, partly understandable if that's your thing but personally I'm on holiday and can think of better things to do for 40 mins, In the end it was necessary to join the queues or you would struggle to get any bed as the week progressed. Don't get me wrong its school holidays and you can expect it to be busy but its plain for all to see the sunbeds seriously let the resort down, there simply are not enough and when folk hog them with their towels but don't bother turning up to use them for hours on end its just not right. Anyway moving on as I'm sure you will read various reviews of a similar nature. Rooms lovely and clean as always, breakfast good and a great selection. We ate in the restaurant one night ( Italian themed night ), it was ok, nothing sparkling if I'm honest but the kids enjoyed it, expensive with drinks but again to be expected. We chose to eat by the marina most nights as we have on previous visits. Kids club was great for our youngest, he loved it and the staff were lovely.
As nice as the Hilton is I would question the 5 star status based on other resorts we have stayed in, will we return ? not too sure in all honesty, I think there is better value to be had at other resorts in Vilamoura. This review is no way reflective of the staff of the hotel as they were all lovely and a real credit to the place but we do feel the Hotel needs to look at the sunbed issue in particular. The volcanic scenery looks nice round the pool but we cant help but think the space could be utilised far better.

1  Thank Mark L
HiltonVilamoura, General Manager at Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for returning to the Hilton Vilamoura and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We’re very pleased you and your family felt well taken care of during your stay and very much regret the inconvenience caused by the sunbeds.

We are reinforcing the 30 minute rule regarding the unoccupied beds and raising awareness among guests in order to improve the situation but the lack of space is making it very difficult to increase the number of units and the removal of the boulders, as per your suggestion, will require more time to plan and execute.
However, please be assured that we are stepping up efforts towards a more lasting solution for the pool setup.

We truly appreciate your very constructive feedback and hope you will consider returning with your family again next year.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We recently spent a short break here and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

As we were travelling without children we were able to go to the 'Adults only' pool which was very peaceful. The sunbeds are a little crowded together but there is plenty of room on the grass to spread them out and have your own space with umbrellas a plenty.

I can't comment on the other two larger pools as we didn't visit the family swimming areas.

The Harbour of Vilamoura is approximately just over one mile away, there is a shuttle bus that runs very regularly from the hotel to the beach and then to the harbour until around 10.30pm. After which you could wait in the taxi queue for approximately two hours. There is a distinct lack of taxis every single night with people queuing for ages! However you could always pack your walking shoes and a quick straightforward walk back to the hotel if you are out later than the last shuttle bus.

There are many restaurants in the harbour to visit and the choice is fantastic.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Champagne1811

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing the Hilton Vilamoura for your short break and sharing your lovely experience on TripAdvisor.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to relax by the adults’ pool. The marina does get busy at this time of year so we strongly recommend returning by shuttle before 10.30 pm to avoid queuing for taxis.

Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to see you back again soon for more lovely breaks!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed here 3years ago for a week, and we are just back from our 2nd visit. Again stayed for 7 nights, and had a terrific time. Hotel cleanliness is spotless. Staff, from the greeting in the reception, to the door staff, pool staff are very polite and helpful.
We had a 1 bed apartment, plenty of room for family of 4 (1 toddler), which also meat that we could cook our own meals etc.
Only annoying aspect , is the sunbed hogging. As I have seen other reviews state, people queuing from around 8:10 for the pool area to open at 9!! Many of the beds reserved are not used until later in the day, some not at all. Seen many family's with their children turn up at 10, looking for beds and ended up turning away. Not good policy for a 5 star hotel. I might be wrong but when I was there 3 years ago, you were not allowed to do this, certainly cannot remember seeing the queues!!

Good idea to use the beach facilities, had a great day there with the kids, HH members received free, not sure if this standard policy however as they did try to charge on check out!, however 10 euro for half day bed hire, bottle of water and pringles thrown in.
Shuttle buses, too and from the town centre at night are great idea, but watch out for the families who instead of taking their young children on their knees so others get on the bus, they would rather see others have to wait for next bus or taxi!! probably the same sunbed hoggers!!

We didn't eat much in the restaurants as young children with us, so can not really comment on food, and we didn't have the breakfast either for the same reason.

All in all, great hotel, great holiday, made special by the hotel and its staff.

Room Tip: You pay a little extra, however pool side rooms are good. 1 bed apartments both times that I have s...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
HiltonVilamoura, General Manager at Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Guest,

We’re very pleased you had a great stay with your family and felt well taken care of by all the staff. Using the beach club is indeed a great alternative to the pools but regarding the shuttle, by law we are required to comply with the maximum passenger capacity of the bus and I'm afraid that includes children.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we hope to see you all again on many more occasions.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

To look at the hotel is lovely. My husband and I are seasoned travellers and Hilton gold members. This is our second visit to this hotel in 5 years and second visit this year to a Hilton in Portugal ( Conrad in April, which by comparison is awesome).

This hilton hotel is severely lacking in a couple of areas which could make or break your holiday. We stayed here last week as a family of four (2 adults. 2 kids under 6) before moving to another Vilamoura 5 star resort.

The beds, or lack of around the pool is just incredible. I appreciate at peak season you are always going to suffer some issues over getting a bed or a brolly but what is clearly apparent is that the hotel just doesn't have enough. I had to break all of the rules and use an empty bed which had been reserved as a base for my toddler and I. It had been vacant for two hours so my rationale was that when the people returned I would duly jump up, pop their un used towel on it and take my seat in on the concrete next to the pool. When the " owner " of this bed ( who also had another three reserved as well as the one I was borrowing) , they huffed, puffed,,clucked and rearranged their towels to leave the beds again unused. They where certainly not dressed for the pool or intended on using the beds directly. Just crazy. I sound crazy saying this but when you are spending £400 + a night for your family to stay you would at least Exocet a bed... Somewhere... Just one at least for my family of four.
The pools tiles where chipped and cut both my husband and son. The grounds where filthy and covered with over flowing bins and fag butts on and around the pool areas on the ground. To compare this place to Butlins actually insults Butlins because at least that place is clean and safe and the service is incredible. Hilton Vilamoura could learn a lot from them!!!
The buffet restaurant was incredibly poor, I mean near on in edible. Now if you like to dine on desserts, you will be in luck, they where awesome. The main course selection was dire. In fact I am still in shock over the calibre of food on offer.

The front desk needs a refresh in customer service, diabolical. I wouldn't expect the level of service received as a gold member or non hilton frequent guest. Dreadful.
The spa is a joke. Planned my whole morning and childcare around a treatment to be told on the walk to the treatment room that they could no longer accom my appointment.

The pools are freezing... Even in summer... Something to think about if your kiddies like to spend all day in the pool. That would be tricky given the temperature of them which was incredible given that it was July.

What was great - the bar was just as lovely and the drinks/ service just as great as we originally remembered. Compliments to their bar manager.

The room was very comfortable, quiet and clean

The room service was excellent.

So take from this what you will. Dependent on what you are looking for, this hotel could either make or break your stay. Next time we will go back to the Conrad, Quinto de Lago - fabulous hotel that represents the brand brilliantly.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank Lookingforward33
HiltonVilamoura, General Manager at Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Guest,

I very much regret that we didn’t live up to your expectations of the Hilton brand and would like to express my apologies for the shortcomings you encountered on your second stay.

I can understand how the pool sunbeds and queues were the cause of your disappointment. However, we are currently looking at ways to minimise inconvenience to our guests because as you know, there is no space available to place more beds. With regard to the pool tiles, we’re waiting for materials to be delivered in order to schedule the repair works.

I further regret that the quality of the buffet, service at the front desk and at the spa were a disappointment. I have addressed your comments with our executive chef, front office and spa managers to raise awareness of these issues with a view to improving the service.

Please be assured that we are undergoing constant change to improve the guest experience and we hope you will consider returning at some point in the future so we can restore your faith in our property.

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Super hotel.Rooms are very quiet clean and nice touches like coffee making facilities robes and slippers.
Hotel welcomed us with a nice glass of juice .Prices are typical of a 5 star hotel, over€10 for a gin and tonic .
Very busy around pool and queue from 8.30 to book loungers. hotel has no policy on loungers and some families hogged 4 loungers all day and were never to be seen !
We booked executive transfer via greenbus for €115 to hotel and I wouldn't recommend it as it turned out to be a minibus with a driver who was trying to drive like Lewis Hamilton and reading his schedule at the same time ! Our cases bounced off the walls of the minibus but we did make it to the airport in one piece .
We tried a couple of the restaurants at the hotel and overall we were satisfied and the staff were pleasant and attentive.We didn't try the buffet meals .
A really nice touch for children was the ice cream trolley available in the afternoon .
I would definitely return to this top rate hotel.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Doctor1ROB

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Vilamoura and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are very pleased you enjoyed the resort services and facilities and had a very comfortable stay. The next time you visit, I recommend you book your airport transfers with us as it is cheaper and very efficient.

Thank you so much for your kind endorsement and we hope to see you on many more occasions.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We just came back from a 3 night stay at this wonderful hotel. Everything was perfect, from the greeting in the reception, to the room and facilities of the resort. We had dinner in the restaurant Cilantro one night, and it was amazingly good! Very surprised this restaurant is not listed on the hotels website, we didn't know it existed before we stumbled over the menu on our last night. We were three people who wanted sunbeds every day and had no problem with that, even though we sat on our veranda every morning and watched the show of people queing up from 8.30 am and running like crazy to grab sunbeds when the pool opened at 9 am. When we walked down half an hour later we had lots of sunbeds to choose from. We will certainly go back to this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
HiltonVilamoura, General Manager at Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Guest,

We are thrilled to have delivered on expectations and provided you with a wonderful holiday experience.

We are very pleased you were impressed with the resort services and facilities and I’m sure the Chef will be thrilled to know about the amazingly good dinner at Cilantro!

Also, I would like to thank you for your very sensible approach with regard to the sunbeds. I truly hope other guests will follow your example and refrain from occupying sunbeds if they’re not staying at the pool.

Thank you for your kind endorsement and we hope to see you year after year!

Dinis Pires

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamoura
Tivoli Marina Vilamoura
As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa
Conrad Algarve
Conrad Algarve
#1 of 14 in Almancil

Been to Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!