“ideal place to stay”

Thon Hotel Kirkenes
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kirkenes
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Very relaxing and welcoming. Staff helpful.
food good and a variety on offer. Rooms very good with plenty of room.
breakfast very good with a good variety.
Staff English speaking and helpful with special diets.

Room Tip: Overlooking the water
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Ruben R, Hotel Manager at Thon Hotel Kirkenes, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear guest from Brecon,

Thank you so much for your review, and you highly recommendation. Hope that you will visit us next time you are in Kirkenes. Best Regards Ruben, Hotel Manager

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I arrived at Thon Kirkenes Hotel with my family, first impression was set by the receptionist Daniel [--]at the front desk. First glance I was fine with how he dealt with us and did not mind as we arrived at the hotel at 12:20+\- and Check in time was only at 15:00 ( Something he made quite clear while pointing to the sign behind him.) My brother in law advised him that he got confirmation of sea facing rooms and they were discussing this while I went back to my luggage, the view did not really bother me and I was just quite happy to get a room with a double bed. An e-mail was even shown to him that sea facing rooms was confirmed to my brother in law but I did not follow or listen in on that conversation. We went into town to meet with my brother in laws brother. We had lunch in town and I wanted to return back to the hotel and Check in. Came to the hotel by myself and I checked in with another very polite, nice and friendly guy by the Alexander and he helped me and then I advised him that I will need a double bed, he read on the screen that we requested sea facing and that he did not have any with a double bed available but they can move the twins together to make it a double. I was very please at him being so accommodating even if I did not Ask for it. I was about to answer when the receptionist that helped us earlier, Daniel came out and said something to the receptionist who is helping me in Norwegian. Next minute he turns to me and says we do not have anymore sea facing rooms and we (they) should give it to people who is paying Kr. 2000 per night. I must be honest, this a hotel????? More low rent and insulting behaviour have I not experienced in my entire life. Very unprofessional, rude and he should not work in Hotels. If this is what Thon is about, people do not waste your money even if you are not paying for an upscale room.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Ruben R, Hotel Manager at Thon Hotel Kirkenes, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

My dear guest Randall, from Stavanger.
We who daily work in tourism and hotel industry appreciates good -and bad feedback. Yours is the last category, and this I fully appreciate. I apology the experience regards our service who not impressed. I really hope you`re testing us again, because I know we are better than 2 out of 5. I hope I`ll meet you as my guest again soon. With best regards from Ruben - Hotel Manager

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Great location right on the water - very modern and clean rooms. Great breakfast (one of the best I've had) and dinner was fantastic. Would recommend this for holiday makers and tourists to Kirkenes. Highly recommended if your at the top of the world.

Room Tip: Sea front view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for a great review! Our staff really appreciate feedback like this. Hope to see you on another occasion.

Best Regards Ruben - Hotel Manager

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Having stayed in several hotels on Noway's arctic coast, this is definitely one of the best ones. The rooms are perfectly clean and in top conditions, though a bit small. But you shouldn't spend too much time in your room anyway. Food is very good (especially the salmon, of course). The prices are typical Norwegian, but not exaggerated. The curtains have a good quality and darken the room well during the endless days in summer, so you can always have a good sleep. Staff is also very kind and helpful. The hotel has a tour operator's desk inside which allows you to book your tours easily.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with ThonHotels.no
Ruben R, Hotel Manager at Thon Hotel Kirkenes, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear guest EndlessTraveller100,

Thank you for your kind feedback! Our goal is to be top 25 hotel on tripadvisor in Norway and we met your expectations, we appreciate it. The salmon is also my favorite, it is delivered by our local supplier Villa Artic. We want to offer our guests a menu with local food.

The tourist information desk will be open until the end of august, It Is a collaboration with local authority. Hopefully we can continue the partnership next year. We know our guest appreciate it.

Welcome back! Best Regards Ruben - Hotel Manager

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Me and my wife stayed 2 nights in the weekend. We have stayed at the hotel several times. Nice rooms. The hotel has great location at waterfront, but near city centre. Breakfast is also good. Nice staff and service at the hotel.

Room Tip: 3 or 4 floor on front or sides
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Alfen,
Thank you for a fantastic review and your numerous stay with us at the Thon Hotel Kirkenes.
Welcome back!

Best Regards -Ruben - Hotel Manager

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

To be able to see the midnight sun you need a seaview room in this large well-equipped hotel on the seafront. Very polite and extremely helpful reception from Alexander. The restaurant has Norwegian prices for rather small helpings but the coffee machine is excellent and free of charge.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear guest Alecte,

Thank you for the kind feedback! We are happy you liked it here. Since we do not have a kettle in our room, we offer complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby.

Welcome back if returning to Kirkenes. Best Regards Ruben - Hotel Manager

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We liked this place a lot. It is an attractively situated, attractively designed property on the quay in the center of Kirkenes. (For some reason, the modernist trappings are more pleasing in person than that they seem they will be in the pictures.) The tourism desk is really helpful. There are bus connections back and forth to Hurtigruten. The staff is great. The food is decent. Add it up and the Thon facilitates a workable pre- or post-Hurtigruten stopover in Kirkenes.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GuillermoAngel

Dear guest GuillermoAngel,

Thank you for a great review. Nice to hear that you enjoyed the hotel very well during your stay in connection with Hurtigruten. Hope you had a nice summer holiday in Norway, welcome back!

Best Regards Ruben - Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkenes
Scandic Kirkenes
#2 of 2 in Kirkenes
Kirkenes Snowhotel
Kirkenes Snowhotel
#1 of 2 in Kirkenes

Been to Thon Hotel Kirkenes? Share your experiences!