“Relaxing Business”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Kawartha
Peterborough
“Relaxing Business”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We own a small business but as part of our strategy to stay on track and grow the business, we try to have at least one strategic planning trip a year. We chose Viamede because it was close to home. We went in the fall in hopes that most of the tourists had left.

We stayed in one of the rooms outside of the main resort. The room had a fireplace, a balcony with a small view of the lake and was extremely quiet...perfect for the work we needed to accomplish over the 3 nights we stayed. We took advantage of Wi-Fi which never once went down, walked the extensive trails (when it wasn't raining) and sat in front of the fireplace every night and read. It was the perfect business planning trip for us.

Here are my comments about the resort itself:
We came on a package deal and felt the cost was in line with the value. We stayed in a room with a fireplace, a small bar kitchen and a Jacuzzi. Showering in a hug Jacuzzi is great because of all of the room and the water pressure was great.
The whole resort is tired but you can tell they are slowly but surely working on it. Our whole bathroom was a little like a camp bathroom, nothing fancy, but it worked.
The food in the main dining room was good but limited selection. The food in Mt Julian (just across the parking lot) was superb. At breakfast, they ran out of orange juice and they were out of the house white in the evening on both nights we dined in the main room
The cleanliness was about a 3 1/2 out of 5 but I am very picky...my husband probably didn't even notice the some of the things I did.
The bed was super comfortable and we both got 3 days of amazing sleeps
We had a wedding at the resort but because it was raining, we didn't notice it except for the one night we couldn't eat in the main dining room but being "forced" to eat in Mt Julian was a big treat.
The service was Ok. I am have stayed at Trump Towers and the Ritz Carleton so I am pretty used to ""knock your socks off" service and this didn't come close to meeting that level of service but the staff was warm and friendly and very responsive to any questions or requirements we had
Booking was easy and fairly painless
The location is outstanding. The lake is gorgeous and listening to the loons at night is a sound I will never tire of listening.'
We were hoping for a better fitness area but took what we got. We used the hot tub twice but it was definitely in need of a good clean. The sauna was not on so unless you turned it on before you got into the hot tub, you were not going to have a warm sauna.
We would go back again (and ask for our same room) for the food. We were shocked at just how good it was.
We are hoping the new owner will continue to upgrade the whole facility.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Roberta_Peterboro
ViamedeResort, Owner at Viamede Resort, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Hello Roberta,

Thank you very much for your comments! If you take a look at our website, you will notice we have just done a major renovation, with a few larger projects in the works. I can't tell you yet what they are. :)

See you soon!

Ben

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We visited for our wedding anniversary weekend and stayed in one of the cottages. Upon check-in we were advised that a wedding would be taking place directly in front of out cottage and that the main restaurant that we had hoped to dine in to celebrate our anniversary would be closed on both nights of our stay due to the rehearsal dinner and actual wedding dinner. We did not want to dine in a pub for our anniversary nor did we want to hike over to the inn. We had read favourable reviews about the main restaurant and had hoped to dine there. We were very disappointed.

The cottage was extremely disappointing. We paid $400/ night! I expected the cottage to live up to its "Deluxe" classification. What we found was an old cabin in serious need of upgrading in order to justify its hefty fee. Basically it is straight out of the 80's. For $400 a night, you could get such better accommodation. I would only have paid less than half for these cottages in order to feel like I had received value for my money.

On friday night, for about an hour and a half (including people setting-up and setting-down) the wedding rehearsal took place directly in front of our cottage. I'm sorry but I did not feel like sitting on my patio and watching this. We gave them their privacy and closed our blinds and went inside. Then, on Saturday, combined with the pre-setup and the pictures after, the wedding dragged on for more than 2 hours. Once again we were forced to retreat inside.

With regard to the "beach", this is a small sanded area directly in front of the playground. The swimming area was weedy and shallow. We had hoped to chill out on a beach all weekend and swim in the lake. Don't get me wrong, you can rent a boat etc. and enjoy the lake in that way, but do not come here hoping for a lovely beach vacation!

Finally, at 12:15pm on Sunday as we were piling our stuff on the patio to put in our car and leave, a grumpy faced attendant showed up and in a less than polite tone informed that check-out was at 12:00pm. Remember, it was 12:15pm at this time. A cherry on top of a disappointing weekend.

I am not one to usually complain on these sites but I felt that this was warranted and I want to educate consumers who might fall prey to the same pit falls that I did. This resort was terribly overpriced, in need on renovations to justify the price in the cottages and our trip played second fiddle to the wedding that was taking place that weekend.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Leemo665
ViamedeResort, Owner at Viamede Resort, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear Leemo665,

I am sorry that this was your experience of Viamede Resort. As we had already discussed, we did have our fine dining restaurant, the Inn at Mount Julian, open, which you are saying is too far to go. However, the distance is only about 200 feet past 1885, which is the restaurant you lament being closed, and there is parking at the Inn.

You also mention the wedding on the lawn in front of your cottage. While it's true that there was a wedding, we do not promise that this lawn is private. Indeed, most days, there are children playing ball, people fishing on the shore, and dogs playing there, so the wedding is just one other activity on a generally public lawn.

Your other comments had never been brought to my attention in our extensive conversations after your stay, but I do thank you for them.

Keene, Canada
Reviewed 27 September 2013

My husband surprised me with a one night stay on a thursday night at this amazing resort!! We had the dining room all to ourselves with an excellent waitress...All inc was a night in room with a fireplace and jacuzzi...an excellent meal and breakfast that would put the Irish breakfasts we have experienced to shame...well not really but pretty darn close!! The dinner was cooked to perfection..very friendly staff....and very very reasonable specials..with 25 dollar credits for anyone that is referred ....can't say enough...it was lovely. We cannot wait to go back for their new years special they are offering!! and we live maybe 3/4 hour away...was awesome !!

Room Tip: the rooms by the dining room have a great view of lake...the other rooms have some tree obstructions...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shelley N
Dear Shelley,

Thank you very much for your great review. I'm happy to hear that you had a great time, and I do hope that you take advantage of our referral program.

We'll see you on New Year's Eve!

Toronto Canada
Reviewed 16 September 2013

A weekend was spent in a cupboard for almost $800.00.What a disappointment. Luckily we were out on the water most of the time.The room was very tiny with a shower that you could not tun around in and held these new large size multi use containers of shampoo and conditioner.I usually bring my own but this time I had to use the stuck shut dried leftover shampoo. I am thankful that they supplied one small individual cake of soap.The TV matched the room 20 in that you could not see from across the room.Luckily we were on the lake side but trees blocked the view of the lake.
It was not good value and do not complain.You are cooly recieved and ignored for the rest of your stay. Glad to get home!

Room Tip: do not stay here
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank iluvwildbirds
ViamedeResort, Owner at Viamede Resort, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear iluvwildbirds,

Thank you for your comments.

To be fair, the (almost) $800 was a package that included 6 meals, docking for your boat, several activities with the resort, taxes and service charge, and was negotiated with the association with which you were traveling.

I agree that the room you were in was smaller than others, but you had told us that it was not an issue until you saw into the rooms of friends. Unfortunately, at this point, it was too late to move you to another room.

As to the toiletries, we have switched to the large bottles to reduce waste, but we do have a sign in the bathrooms offering guests a selection of toiletries in small bottles, all complimentary. And while there are indeed 2 large oaks in front of your balcony, the lake extends across the entire front of the resort.

As I had mentioned in my e-mail to you, I suggest requesting a room on the main floor next year, as these are larger, and to please let us know any issues immediately upon check in.

I hope to see you again next year.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 7 September 2013

The weekend of Aug 116-18 Jason, Finn & I were lucky to be able to go away to the beautiful Viamede Resort on Stoney Lake, close to Buckhorn. Thanks to Charming Media and the staff at Viamede for making this a weekend to remember. I felt a little bit like we were at Kellerman's and kinda expected Johnny & Baby to walk out from one of the cabins on their way to do activities :)

I left work a little early on Friday to go home and pack up myself & the puppy - and I only took 1 small suitcase with me! Jason came home, cleaned up and we jumped in the car and headed out around 430pm.

Finn was pretty excited to go away and Harley was ecstatic to not have a puppy to bug him for the weekend while he gallivanted around the neighborhood :)

We arrived just before 8pm on Friday night (it only takes about 2.5 hours but we hit rush hour, took some backroads around it, and made a couple stops). We checked in and were told the Boathouse Pub would be open for dinner AND that there was a movie night set up outside the marina.

We went straight to our cottage #420 and it was the last one in the row, so a little more private, which we loved. We walked in and it was such a cute and charming little weekend spot. We had the Deluxe Cottage room, which came with a full kitchen, huge bathtub and woodstove!

We took Finn for a walk to check out our surroundings and watched the breathtaking sunset across the lake. Jason & I used to do sunset as much as possible when we lived in Fort Myers Beach, FL, but haven't had the chance as often as we'd like in the city.

After our walk, we took Finn back to the cottage while we went to grab a bit to eat. We decided to order food to take back to our room and had a couple beers at the bar while waiting.

We were definitely a little silly after travelling for so long and it was nice to relax and wait for our meals. We took our fried dill pickles, burger and veggie wrap back to the cottage and Finn was just hanging out, chewing on his bone and waiting for us like a good boy.

We ate our food and sat out on the deck for a couple drinks and then headed to bed. There was a TV in our cottage, which is a real luxury because we don't have one (and I haven't had a TV/cable in over 5 years now) and we watched a bit of 48 hours and crashed.

Finn is a creature of habit and at 630am he woke up and wanted to play. Luckily Jason got up with him so I could sleep in a bit longer. The boys went for a long walk and actually met up with the Executive Chef Matt & his white boxer Oscar.

They came back around 830am when I was waking up (yes, we were up super early) and we gave Finn breakfast and then headed up to the main resort for the continental brunch buffet. Now I've had my share of continental breakfasts and this was by far the best. The food was fresh and hot with a great variety. Eggs, pancakes, sausage, bacon, fruit, yogurt, granola, pastries, toast, croissants. Everything was absolutely delicious and was a perfect start to the day.

After breakfast we went back to the cabin to get Finn and again, he was waiting for us and just chewing his bone and not the cabin (he's only 7 months so this is a big accomplishment). We headed down to our little private waterfront and spent the rest of the morning/early afternoon in the water, throwing sticks and suntanning.

We brought some food with us and made a late lunch and then decided to check out the Marina to see if we could rent a boat. Rentals were reasonably priced around $225/day, but it was a little out of our budget for the weekend so we headed back up to the cottage to pick up Finn and go for a walk.

We went down the trails to the Viking Oak Tree and over to the Farm. It was Finn's first time seeing animals other than dogs/cats/squirrels and he was so funny to watch. The first thing we saw were the turkeys and they were all squaking at him and right up at the fence. He was so puzzled and excited it was hilarious.

We walked along a little more and came to the pigs and Finn wanted to get in their area because they have a little pond and a mudpit. Blonde puppies LOVE muddy water and he searched along the fence to see if he could find an "in".

The pigs were pretty cute and were very curious about Finn. Then we came to the ducks and chicken pen and again, Finn had no idea what to make of them. He was a little scared, but pretty excited to see other creatures.

On our way back to the cottage Finn found a muddy swamp to get in and we tried as hard as we could to keep him from getting in, but alas, he dove in head first and laid down in the muck.

We finally arrived back at our cottage and decided to have a nap. Yes, it seems a little funny to nap on such a beautiful day, but Jason generally works 6-7 days/week so to actually have time to relax was amazing.

After our nap we went back to the Boathouse Pub for dinner - we weren't able to go to the 1885 Restaurant in the Main Building due to a wedding (which was beautiful and romantic and we had a private view from our deck) but I'm told that the dinner is delicious. We ate in the restaurant and left Finn on his own at the cabin again.

After dinner we fired up Jason's BioLite - which is a very cool gadget that creates electricity so you can charge your phone, play music, etc., and we spent the night drinking beer in front of our mini, contained fire.

Sunday morning we slept in a little longer. Finn still woke up at 630am to pee, but we had his 25 ft rope tied to the tree outside our door so he was able to hang out and play outside while we slept in. We finally got up around 830, showered and headed over to the main resort for the continental buffet breakfast - and it was every bit as good as the day before! We headed back to our cottage to pack up and found Finn sleeping in the white bed. Sorry to the housekeeping staff! He was super happy to be on the bed but a little dirtty for the white sheets & duvet cover.

We checked out and headed back to the city feeling refreshed and recharged after such a lovely time.

If you're looking for a great, family & pet friendly cottage getaway I highly recommend checking out Viamede. We will be back next year and hopefully for a week this time because it was just perfect. And it would be a lovely place to get married at... just saying... it has enough cottages for all your guests, is a beautiful venue and you can bring your pets. What could be better for a wedding or vacation?

Thanks again to the wondeful staff at Viamede for making this such a great weekend and thank you to Val & Charming Media for the opportunity. We can't wait to go back!

For the full Viamede Resort photo album check out my blog.

Room Tip: We stayed in cottage #420 which was the very last in the row and very private. Perfect for bringing...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carlyannedotcom
Dear Carlyannedotcom,

I'm glad you had a great time with Finn while you were here. It was a great weekend, and you certainly seemed to have fun.

I look forward to seeing you again soon!

Martville, New York
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed for my step-daughters wedding reception and the views are spectacular. The room was okay, but the bathroom fixtures were ancient, even though the rest of the room had been renovated and was very nice. We had a balcony to keep track of all the wedding party down below us, but the cabins were too pricey to stay in, you have to book a full weekend during summer. The restaurant is close by, within walking distance, but it was also a little pricey. To be fair the food was very good, but we spent much more than we planned. The site did a wonderful job on the wedding, with an on-site chapel and very good service during the reception, the food was very good.

Room Tip: I recommend staying in the main lodge, you get the view and save money on the accommodations. Stay...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear Cathy,

Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you had a good time, even if the prices were a little high. I agree that the main lodge rooms are noisy during weddings, which is why we generally only let wedding guests book them.

Hopefully, we will see you again next year.

Derry
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

This weekend was so relaxing and just what we hoped for. Canoe, paddle boating, hiking, kayaking & swimming just to name a few! Our little cabin was so neat and all we needed. We should have thought to bring our own BBQ meat-didnt get using it unfortunately. This place has to be seen or your own eyes. Stoney Lake is stunning!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear AMEDerry,

Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, and that you got out on Stoney Lake.

I hope to see you soon!

Beachwood Resort
Beachwood Resort
#1 of 10 in Lakefield
Shambhala Bed and Breakfast

Been to Viamede Resort? Share your experiences!