“My favourite place for a meal ”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Jolly Farmer

The Jolly Farmer
The Jolly Farmer
Ranked #4 of 5 Warsash B&B and Inns
Southampton, United Kingdom
“My favourite place for a meal ”
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

This place is a little pricey but worth every penny the meals are delish!!!
The last time I went we had a lovely table near the fire place
I had a smothered chicken dish and my other half had stake.
:-)
I so badly wanted a pub but I was full to the brim.
Staff are nice and friendly.

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Chuckles1985

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013

This pub offers both pub food and restaurant quality food. We have been going for years and have never had a bad meal. I can understand where some reviewers are coming from on the clutter in the pub/restaurant, but hey this is a true country pub and has a lot to offer and display!
You never wait to be served here, and the waiting staff are always very attentive. The food is great. All freshly cooked and good value for money. You can choose a cheaper end meal or a top end decent steak or fish dish. The fish is consistently good. When the children were younger we felt we could eat here, in an area just slightly removed from the dining area and it really didn't matter if they were a little noiser, you weren't disturbing those guests without children. There is a large garden for the summer, but we have not used that for a while so could not comment. Yes there is a resident cat, but that adds to the character....personally I love it!! All in all this pub really is worth a try for food and drink. We live locally so have not needed to stay so cannot comment on the accomodation.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MummaFish48
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I give this B&B four stars purely based on a pub with character, great food, excellent service & a room to stay to boot, if you need it, as I did for cricket, (two nights in fact).
If you want a new swanky freshly decorated room, you will be dis-appointed. I judge a room on comfort, noise, price & amenities. Okay the only real downer is a shared toilet but your own shower though & this is clear on the JF website, so NO issue to me! This easily ticks ALL the boxes I want & the cleanliness was particularly impressive in a pub full of nick-nacks!
Only had one evening meal as I attended cricket the second night & got back late but that meal (& starter), was terrific. Be prepared for the best scrambled egg ever, courtesy from Cyth(?), made with double cream but both breakfasts, with slightly different choices, (by me), were perfection!!!
The owners certainly know how to run a "food" pub & the staff definately go the extra mile which is something travellers don't always get!
I could mention so many names but don't want to miss anyone so a big thanks to ALL at the JF. I will return for more cricket at the Ageas, a smashing ground & I'll be bringing my younger son, I don't think I'll get away without him, next time!!!
I did enjoy my ODI cricket visit but the highlight of my mini break was staying here, no question!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank TWS954
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We had lunch on a very quiet day. The staff were friendly and attentive, however the food was of just average quality, and overpriced. The bar was very cluttered, and it all needed a good clean. It is such a shame as it seems to have a lot of interesting pictures and ornaments, as well as a very sleepy cat!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank familymason
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

For £85 this is not value for money. I have not rated below 3 on trip advisor before but the room was really awful. Nothing worked and despite our best efforts more than night would not be advisable. Could go on and on about the room but there was nothing really good to say about it. Pluses staff and food pretty good especially breakfast. Would go for lunch but with a very fair minded approach would not stay overnight again. Sorry but when you have bed springs in your spine and a Luke warm shower it didn't make for a great night. I think a decent but not over the top refurb would do this pub a massive favour

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Beaumont1966
ENGLAND
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Although the food was good the room we stayed in left much to be desired. The single divan beds were in desperate need of replacement - one even had a hole the middle of the base which made the bed dip. There were also cobwebs by the corner of the built in wardrobe. The decor in the room was terribly dated and needs urgent updating. To have to boil a kettle on the floor is not acceptable in this day and age. Lights over the bed and sink did not work and the shower was dark and water tepid at best. As one other reviewer said the hotel inspector needs to visit.

Room Tip: The room with the double bed looked acceptable.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CLAIRERC
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Popped in for Sunday lunch, late afternoon on a sunny day. Very busy when we got there as lovely separate children's area and eating area/patio. The bar area is extremely cluttered and I would agree with other reviewers that it could do with a clean and tidy - however; the staff and landlord were very pleasant and extremely helpful, the food was good (though generally a bit overpriced when compared to other pubs with better food) and came in good time with sauces in jars rather than silly packets and included a nice selection of fresh vegetables with each meal.
Waitresses cleared plates and offered deserts promptly which were nice but not homemade; the waitress did not know much about the deserts when questioned about what they were.
All of the slight negatives were overshadowed by the attentive staff and good food in pleasant surroundings.

Room Tip: We did not stay here; just came for lunch and drinks
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warsash
Premier Inn Fareham Hotel
Red Lion Hotel
Red Lion Hotel
#2 of 7 in Fareham
Hamble Retreat Boutique Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Jolly Farmer? Share your experiences!