“"Fabulous"”

Mesta Medieval Castle Suites
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Mesta
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Situated in the townn of Mesta, south of Chios town, the Medieval Castle suites is a must for romantics. The suites with the patio areas ar the best as we payed an extra 30 $ on our second day to upgrade.It was very romantic with the stats over us all night. we loved Iris rest. dinner was very exciting as was the only rest with good greek wine selection. Cafe bar named Maona was the happening spot in town with very nice music ang a great slection of spirits. Lok for the beaches as jne is better thaan the other in the whole area. must seee old church and new church. Over all we loved the hotel and especialy "Mesta Village". I highly suggest.

Room Tip: pick the room that have balcony areas
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 December 2011

Staying within this village was a wonderful experience. The room was beautiful, comfortable and had a lot of character. The real gem, however, was this location. We were able to drive down to the Port of Mesta and have a great dinner at Papa Mikalis and then return to the village and relax in our room before venturing out to the cafe located next to the church. The cafe was quite wonderful. We enjoyed visiting with local residents, the owner of the cafe and a a few tourists. (Since we visited in the off-season, there were not many tourists!) Driving and finding Mesta was no problem due to the well marked roads. Finding the room--that was sort of difficult since the village is enclosed by walls and was designed around a labyrinth, for security. I was disappointed by the breakfast, it was overpriced and I would have skipped it had I known. I would definitely visit this hotel again!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Elizabeth23
Reviewed 10 October 2011

When you are staying in such beautiful place as Mesta, and just inside the medieval fortress in a middle-age house restored to the detail, but with all modern commodities, there is no much you can critizise about a hotel. However, there are a few thing that can be done better and I would like to point them out for the owners to provide a first-class service (because the price is not cheap!).

First, the cleaners can do better. Behind the computer table, underneath the beds and some hidden corners in the batroom you have to clean too! As the cleaners forgot to flush, the toilet bowl included a "gift" courtesy of the previous guests, which is unacceptable. Also, hair and some dirt in the bathroom floor as well as some cigarette butts in the patio plants pots somehow blurred the excellent overall impression that we had when we entered in the room. We had been waiting a long 3 hours for checking in and it was about 13h when they announced that the room was ready. When we reached the room they were still cleaning so they were a bit rushed to have the room ready for us which might explain the previously described mess. The second day the beds were made very fast and only supperficially :(

Second, our room had a locker but it couldn't be used because of a couple of "friendly" previous guests who left it closed (thank you). All in all, it is the management duty to check that everything is perfectly ready for a new guest to check in so they should have realized about it and fixed it.

Another thing that can do better is the breakfast. I assume that remote places like Mesta must have a limited offer of products, specially in low season, but some fresh fruit, and a more decent olive oil, as well as a more varied offer would be really appreciated. However, I must say that fresh orange juice at no extra cost was a nice surprise.

We stayed in room 302, a double room with a convertible sofa, a tiny patio with a table and 2 chairs and a full kitchen which is all very convenient if you travel with kids. The room is nicely decorated and has a computer with Internet connection working fine (certainly not the fastest out there but OK), satellite tv with about 400 channels and a hifi system for CDs and DVDs all included in the room fee. The bathroom was very small and the shower had some leak that made the floor to get wet very easily, something really uncomfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the quality of sleep superb -both quality of bed and quiteness of the room- and the surroundings simply a place you must see!

Room Tip: The local restaurant To Mestousiko (small grill with outdoor seating) on the corner of the new churc...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ssalonso
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I really loved the concept of the room that I stayed in: It was like a cave, built of stone but at the same time full of comforts like a LCD TV, hi-fi system, modern lights (in fact the room was full of lights and light switches!) and a really cozy bathroom. The rooms were really clean and tidy, and the cable internet connection was a really pleasant surprise! There was also a fully-featured computer in the room, but I preferred to use my netbook. The bed was one of the best that I had ever used in a hotel, with a hard mattress and a comfortable cover.

Breakfast was really nice and adequate: Not great in variety but consisting of a number of savory and sweet items, fresh orange juice and some desserts. I never had a problem filling up before a busy day at Mesta and it kept me full until lunch.

There were some signs of humidity in the walls and the air inside the room was indeed humid, but when we left the windows open there was no problem. Also, the bathroom supplies (especially the toilet paper) were not frequently restocked, so we had to be rather cautious when using them. There was also a problem with the flush which was not noticed, leading to a low water flow.

In general, I was really pleased with the room and I would surely recommend the Medieval Castle rooms. The minor issues aforementioned were not enough to spoil the good image I had during my stay.

Room Tip: Rooms are scattered all over the village, so you may choose the one closer to the breakfast spot/vil...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank vprot
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Mesta is a very interesting part of Chios. The Medieval Suites are in restored old houses in Mesta. The suites are very comfortable, clean, the staff is very helpfull and friendly. In my opinion it is the best place to stay in Chios.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank elistanbul
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Medieval castle suites are the most beautiful, well appointed, stone maisonettes in all of Chios, if not the Aegean! The staff is phenomenal, we were with our one year old and they took special attention to bring us fresh fruits in the morning and to make sure all our needs are met. The rooms are really nice and spacious, with modern amenities enveloped in an amazing turn of the century architecture. This is a very hard combination to achieve with such level of detail.
The suites are within the fort town of Mesta, which because of the beautiful narrow cobble stone streets with archways, does not have any motor traffic within.
So quiet and safe, I cannot express how wonderful it is to walk home from he town square "platea" with a light head, full belly (go to Maouna) and no worries other than saying hello to the locals. I just never wanted to leave, and with a small child there is no safer, quiet and beautiful destination in all of Greece.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Nickmannhattan
Reviewed 30 December 2010

We chose this hotel mostly based on the reviews it had received. But i should've known better that 3 reviews is not an accurate sample size!!
I want to start by saying the we could not have received a friendlier welcome by the very gracious hotel staff, Mary. However things went down hill from there. The two suites that we were staying in, at first, seemed charming, and cozy, but the reality surfaced after the doors were shut behind us: The rooms were so damp that we slept in cold, wet sheets all night long. At some point I decided that opening the door on a cold December night to let in some circulation is better than the smell of the mildewy, damp room. By now I was maneuvering my way in pitch darkness as the fuse to the lights had blown!! And would continue to blow even after turning it on again and again.
All night as both my husband and I lay awake due to the cold, damp and smelly air, I had hoped that our kids would be getting a good night sleep, only to find out in the morning they'd had the exact same experience.
By the time we put on our (wet from the humidity) clothes in the morning we thought that perhaps some good breakfast in a charming location might make up for the hard night, but that was also a huge disappointment.
Oh and did I mention that the sheets were not only damp, but Very rough, and the hotel was the most expensive on the island especially given the off season.
I don't want to completely slam this hotel, because as I mentioned the hospitality was impeccable and the location can be very charming., but much more continual maintenance will be needed to keep it going given the level of humidity and the mildew.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank ziptripspain
Medieval Castle S, Owner at Mesta Medieval Castle Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

Dear guest,
For a long period your comment has torn our hearts and pride here at the Medieval Castle Suites. We finally have the capability to reply to our guest through this new system provided by trip advisor. I apologize, for the bad experience as the castle has a rough climate during the winter. We would be honored and it would mean a lot to us if we can gain your trust, by accommodating your stay for you and your family absolutely complimentary in the spring, summer or fall season. After your comment on that Dec stay, we do not operate during the winter season to avoid such a mishap. We appreciate your feedback and it has scratched off a discomfort for future client, which we could not fight off. Pennsylvania is far so keep in mind you can stay as long as you please with us. My deepest apologies and we hope you give us the opportunity to redeem our position. Sincerely Hotel Owner and staff.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mesta
Grecian Castle Hotel
Emporios Bay Hotel
Emporios Bay Hotel
#1 of 2 in Emporios
Traditional Hotel Ianthe

Been to Mesta Medieval Castle Suites? Share your experiences!