“Great if you have kids, if you don't give it a miss!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ingoldmells
Butlins Skegness Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ingoldmells
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Stayed here over new year for two nights in Silver accommodation with family that included two children. Arrival check in was simple and quick with very friendly and helpful staff, however it wasn't until we tried to get into our accommodation that we realised we couldn't until 4pm, which I personally think is a little late seeing as check out is 10am! We decided to go for a meal as it was 3pm so we ate in the Moon and Stars pub, it was busy with a 30 minute wait for food however the staff did their best and meal was good, even the steak! After that we headed back to chalet and unpacked our belongings. The accommodation was a little tired with scruffy carpets and cheap (almost camp sized) beds. The kitchen was adequate though the frying pan had seen better days and the TV needs some modernisation (i.e a remote and a few more channels!). The bathroom was basic but clean, however the shower needed some TLC as water decided to spray from all angles which resulted in the bathroom becoming more like a wet room! The corridor that leads to the chalet was in dire need of cleaning (especially round the lights as they were covered in cobwebs!).
In the evening we went to the centre stage but found this incredibly busy so we went to Reds which was less busy and we found it easy to find a table for 8 (this was new years eve eve). The entertainment was very good, especially for kids and the drinks were reasonably priced.
The next day we went to splash world which was ok, I know that some rides are currently closed due to building work but I couldn't help but feel disappointed, there was no where to sit and relax or if you have young ones to sit with (I guess having been to Center Parcs, you feel spoilt!), maybe it will be better once the new part has been built? hope so. On a plus side the staff kept the changing area very clean which was great as I hate walking on dirty floors from where people have come in wearing shoes.
New years eve we decided against queing from 3pm to get in to Centre Stage and Reds and stayed in our chalet until about 21:30 then we headed to Reds. We had to stand around for a few hours until eventually a table became free. Again the entertainment was really good with various acts on to suit all ages and the bar staff worked really hard to ensure you weren't queing for ages.
I enjoyed my stay at Butlins, its excellent for kids as lots of things are free and the shows are well organised, however for me who doesn't have kids it was too chaotic and they drove me mad! Sorry!
The staff are excellent however and deserve a medal!
I personally won't be going back and I'm sorry to say I wouldn't recommend it either. More money needs to be spent updating the older accommodation. (On average over New Year for 3 nights it costs £120 per adult).

Reviewed 1 January 2013

Entertainment was fantastic. However our silver accomodation was appalling - lumpy mattresses on singles & double bed, drafts through closed windows. Although generally clean, accommodation looked very tired, tv didn't work properly, shower pressure was very low & carpets looked dirty. Main concern was security as my 3 year old could quite easily open door & get on to stair well - which was a worry for when we slept but to be honest the lumpy mattresses meant we didn't sleep much!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank gollygee1968
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We spent 4 glorious days at Butlins Skegness everything was spot on. The rooms were spotless and cosy.Entertainment, 5 stars for the kids. Be prepared though for a bit of a wait at check in. Well done Butlins.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 1 January 2013

we stayed at butlins skegness from the 27th to 30th dec2012. we ahave been doing this break for about the last 5 years and always have a good time. there are 5 adults and one child and this year we stayed in a gold apartment which was lovely. the accom was clean and we loved having a seating area. we had to have our kettle replaced twice , the shower door broke and no floor mat but all these problems were sorted out quickly but i wouldn't have expected it in gold. they have also started a drive thro check in which is suppose to be quicker but its not . i can suggest its easier to park your car and go to reception.the entertainment was all good. we used the fun fair and go karts and adventure golf and it does state that you have to pay for them. the only thing that we were not happy with was we ate in the coast resturant and not yacht club which was very disapointing. if you book gold you used to eat there but all the resturants are changing and they are classed the same . but over all i can recommend it and we have already booked for next year

Room Tip: book gold for a lovely quiet room
2  Thank YorkshireBadger
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Butlins in the Winter - are you mad?? Not really, I was their with my wife as we were photographing a bike and quad event on the beach. Butline was close and convenient as well as being relatively cheap compared to hotels in Skeggie.

Booked Standard accomodation, as that was all that was available. Reminds you of the old Butlins chalets, small and in blocks like an army barracks. On the room, the beds were fold-ups which is not the best choice, single (thin) mattress, and a single quilt. Mine was ripped slightly in the middle, but no great issue. But it was oh so warm, great when you come in from the cold beach. Clean and tidy - nice shower so although very basic and small, perfectly acceptable for the 3 nights we stayed.

Food not so good - everything either had too much cheese on - Pizza Place, and Lasagne at the Sun and Moon pub, or too much salt, would say the food is poor.

I must say something about the parking, because its awful in the standard part. The apartments all seem to have their own parking, but ours was woefully inadequate, I would assume not even one space to every 2 chalets. Hence cars parked on every pavement / piece of grass etc.

Clearly this is a family place and when we went at the end of December is what full!!

Big shout out to the Red Cabs - pick you up from anywhere within 10 mins - fabulous.

Room Tip: Dont book standard if you can afford more.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We spent our second year in a row at Butlins Skegness between Xmas and New Year...and will probably be back for a third year.

Good Points
Entertainment - The entertainment is second to none - the pantomime, Lazy Town, magicians, tribute acts are all top notch and cannot be beaten.
Red coats - these guys love their jobs and it shows, brilliant all round.
Accommodation - clean and well presented.
Activities and Facilities - Again, faultless - so there is so much to see and do.

Bad Points
Quality of food - I always find that the food at Butlins looks like food in the outside world, but doesn't taste like it. For example, buy a milk shake from the Skyline area and you'll find yourself served with a tasteless watery beverage. Buy a hot chocolate from the Soho Coffee Co and you'll get a tepid, brown watery mix that simply doesn't taste like chocolate (the irony that a "hot chocolate" is neither hot nor chocolately is lost on the staff there).
The pool is excellent...but cold, both my kids top lips actually turned blue.
Beds - hard and uncomfortable. They slope into the centre, so you find yourself rolling together throughout the night.

1  Thank Ryan M
Reviewed 30 December 2012

I would like to start by saying a big thank you to Butlins for a fab weekend. Myself & my husband travelled with our 13 month old baby and stayed in a silver room for £72. Amazing value for he winter weekend which included a visit to Santa and a small gift.

Having only being to Butlins once before in the '80s (Wales) I wasn't holding out much hope but I needn't have worried. I came away feeling very Christmassy & ready to book again.

Our apartment on the 1st floor of lobster court was lovely. Brand new with flat screen tv, tea/coffee facilities, double glazing, fab heater. It was lovely and warm when we arrived and a Christmas card stood at the side of the bed. Our son had his own room with tv, ha!

The entertainment is brilliant. The redcoats work very hard. We enjoyed the panto, skyline gang shows, carol concert and meeting various cartoon characters. To get a seat you do need to queue though which is a shame and puts you off a bit. The pool was lovely and quiet and even though it was being refurbished it was very clean. We took the little one on a few rides (all free). He loved the outdoor train! Unfortunately we didn't get to see the reindeer as the queue was too long :-(

We ate half board and the choice was great although if I was being picky the quality could have been improved. More home cooking would have been great. I also expected healthy options on the children's buffet as its supposedly designed by Annabel Karmel. I was greeted by burger, chips and hot dogs each night. Not acceptable for my 13 month old to eat - luckily there was plenty of fresh fruit & veg I could mix with meals from the adult section.

We visited the Seal Sanctuary and Gibraltar Point in Skegness both were well worth a visit and only a few minutes away by car.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definately return. Well done Butlins, a proper fun family holiday that doesn't cost the Earth!

Room Tip: Silver was more than adequate - better than some 4* hotels we've stayed in.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ingoldmells
Southview Park Hotel - Park Resorts
#18 of 25 in Skegness
The Crown Hotel
The Crown Hotel
#11 of 25 in Skegness

Been to Butlins Skegness Resort? Share your experiences!