“Nice Hotel - Very Comfortable Stay”
Review of New Place Hotel

New Place Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shirrell Heath
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I was very happy with my stay, having read a few reviews moaning about the rooms not being part of the main building I was apprehensive. To be honest I've walked twice as far trying to find rooms that ARE part of a hotel! Rooms were modern and clean (bit small) but with flat screen TV and nice clean modern shower room I was really pleased with the room. I only stayed one night so didn't get chance to use the leisure facilities. I ate in the bar and the food was good and not overly expensive. Breakfast was self serve buffet and food was hot (though I was in there a 7am when it opened!!) and good quality. All in all I payed £49 B&B and for that money it was an absolute bargain! Would stay again and make most of pool and gym.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for New Place Hotel

Reviewed 18 September 2011

It was pot luck that I chose the New Place - I needed somewhere to stay near Wickham and even though I know the town well I was unaware of the existence of this fabulous venue which is only a 30 minutes walk (and a much quicker drive) to to the town.
All the staff - reception; the person in charge of cleaning who directed me to my room; the multi tasking Operations Manager, David; the leisure centre team; the bar and restaurant staff; the cleaners and the groundsmen - were friendly and helpful and seemed to enjoy working at this delightful hotel.
I stayed for three nights and my room was on the upper floor of one of the mews blocks. Everything one could need was installed - iron and ironing board; hairdryer; tea and coffee making facilities; a flat screen tv (not many channels available!) and free wifi - and a really comfortable bed.
I ventured into the bar on my first night and, as a solo woman, I did not feel at all awkward. The second night I had an excellent bar meal and on my last night I ate in the restaurant and the food (and service) was absolutely superb - brilliantly presented and mouth wateringly delicious. Top marks to the chef, I haven't eaten as well in some of London's top eateries. I don't eat a full breakfast, but other guests were very impressed with the hotel's English breakfast.
The bar and restaurant were situated in the main building (you are given a map of the extensive grounds and the location of the rooms and facilities which is really useful until you familiarise yourself with the layout!) which was constructed in 1906, designed by Lutyens and which incorporates the splendid original interior of an early 17th century mansion (really!) - the fireplace in the restaurant and the ceilings in this room and the bar, to say nothing of the doors and panelling are breathtaking.
Whilst the hotel seems primarily to be geared up for weddings and conferences, this in no way detracts from the guests' experience. There is a separate building for wedding receptions and numerous conference suites on the upper floors of the main building of the hotel and even though there were a number of companies using the conference facilities and a full blown white wedding during my stay these activities were not at all intrusive.
The grounds are also worthy of a mention - they are huge and meticulously maintained and it was lovely to sit on the terrace in the early evening enjoying the peace and quiet of the vista whilst I sipped my V&T.
Finally I did make use of the pool and jacuzzi (there's also a sauna and a well equipped gym). Everything was spotless. There are changing rooms and a shower and the facilities are complimentary for hotel guests, as is the pool towel and there were even plastic bags in which to put your wet clothes after a session.
I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. I shall certainly stay here again. The attention to detail and the overall quality found at the New Place is exceptional and, surprisingly, it was considerably cheaper than any other hotel which featured in my internet search for somewhere suitable to stay.

Room Tip: I had an upper floor room which was exceptionally quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Booked this hotel as a surprise for my partner and visited family nearby. Be warned, the hotel is a bit in the middle of nowhere but once you find it you realise it's actually a big complex in it's own grounds.

Check In
Easy, quick and the staff were helpful

Spa
Didn't use it, even though it was included

Rooms
Stayed in the blocks which weren't in the main building. They looked suspiciously like stable blocks.....BUT in a totally good way!! As you enter the rooms, it feels like you are in the bedroom of a cottage! So sweet. The bed was probably the comfiest I've slept in. Flat screen TV was wall mounted at the end of the bed but the reception for the channels was very poor. Rooms are modern and bright, if a little small (didn't bother me). There was a kettle, ample tea, coffee and biscuits. There was an iron and ironing board and a hairdryer. Wifi is available free of charge but quite slow (probably due to location). Mobile phone signal non-existant but you will maybe get 1 bar outside of the room. There was a wedding party there when we stayed and thought the music would keep us awake. It didn't but may have if we had been in the main building. Worth checking before you visit! Bathroom had shower (no bath) and again was quite small but I loved it. Complimentary toiletries included too which is a nice touch, even though I take my own.

Breakfast
Wow! Loved it. Usual help yourself to cooked breakfast, cereals, fruit, muffins etc. Really nice.

Looked like a lovely and popular location for weddings. I would definitely stay again! Overall a very smart, clean, value for money hotel. If I had to be really picky I'd say parking was tricky. Staff said we could park in the reserved bays though which made it easier! It may have just been because of the wedding that was taking place that made parking difficult.

Room Tip: Stay out of the main building!
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Yes, it was a ludicrous deal to entice us to try New Place but we're glad we did. Whilst accommodation is in out buildings, it's not an inconvenience at all. The Pool and facilities were lovely too. Double beds are about the narrowest you can have though and the rooms are quite dimpsy if you like lots of light but not detracting.

Breakfast was excellent and the evening Restaurant likewise, so much so that we dined-in three of our four nights. Staff in the Restaurant very good. Grounds pleasant and a charming Lutyens' property for those who enjoy such things!

Definitely recommend - ignore all the negative feedback some people like to leave!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2011

We got agreat deal here and it was well worth it. Food was great, location was great and you got to use the spa facilities for free. It is surrounded by woodlands so is great for a relaxing weekend .you don,t actually stay in the buiding that you see in the picture, you dine there or stay for wedding guests.Rooms are very comfatable and close to the main building.

1  Thank monkey2009Cheshire
Reviewed 5 September 2011

This Hotel is best for what it is intended, conferences and large functions, including weddings etc. It is miles from the nearest station or town, and there is nothing to see or do other than what is on offer here, activities which are mostly geared for 10 or more people.
We had expected to stay in the beautiful Grade 1 listed House, but unfortunately this is not where the rooms are located. The accommodation is in a multitude of chalet-like buildings reminiscent of a modern holiday camp, though clean and with comfortable beds. There is a Leisure Center with a large pool,( they had "maintenance issues" and it was closed), a jacuzzi and sauna (both were overcrowded) and a gym.
As we had arrived Sunday Lunchtime, we looked forward to having a good lunch, but had to make do with the bar menu. A wedding was in progress and we felt like unwanted intruders. Our evening meal however was in the Restaurant, situated, like the Bar, in a lovely period room in the main house, though sadly overpriced. The food was good but minimal. The Buffet Breakfast however was excellent and worth £9.50. All in all, a disappointing experience, one that I would not repeat or recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms are in chalets, not in the main house.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Stayed in August 2011 for a short break, to visit Portsmouth and before heading off to Isle of Wight. This was our 3rd stay, but the first time we had eaten in the restaurant in the evening. The meal was absolutely beautiful and full compliments to the chef - it would be worthy of a 4* restaurant. All the staff, and in particular in the dining room and at breakfast were extremely polite, friendly and efficient. Nothing was too much trouble. Lovely to be somewhere employing local people too.

Used the pool and sauna, disappointed the jacuzzi wasn't on at all. But facilities and cleanlilness were really good.

Our room was an accessible room, and happened to be over the swimming pool and sauna - we found it so hot that we asked to move after the first night, are were moved upstairs which was lovely and cool. The whole move was handled so nicely, even all our bags were moved while we were out - no fuss or bother. Would recommend you ask for a room that's NOT above the pool if you don't like being warm! Both rooms we had were very clean and well presented and the ladies who clean them were also so polite and friendly. Well done New Place on the high quality staff that you employ and the friendly attitude that they display to all guests. That really is worth so much when these days you get used to being ignored or worse, people don't speak enough English to know what you are requesting. New Place staff were all top notch.

We walked around the "fitness trail" (it's a little hard to find!) but the grounds are lovely, and sat on the verandah having drinks. Also enjoyed a bar meal on the second night, though ate it in the reading room to have a bit more space. Again it was excellent and very nicely served. We used the reading room in the mornings to flick through the papers - please put the coffee back in there - it's one little touch that we missed. We also picked up a booklet about the history of the house, from Reception, and walked around the house reading about the fascinating history.

All in all we were really happy, we paid £99 for 3 nights with dinner on the first night, we were really nicely treated, and we would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't above the pool and sauna if you don't like being extra warm at nig...
1  Thank elliemai61
Holiday Inn Fareham Solent
Botleigh Grange Hotel
Botleigh Grange Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hedge End

Been to New Place Hotel? Share your experiences!